Thread: Do you get alot of trick or treaters at your door?

attackatdawn Guest

Do you get alot of trick or treaters at your door?

Do you get alot of trick ot treaters at your door? Do you have any kids that go trick or treating?

Not many kids come up to my house, we live next to a elementry school and most of the kids go there for a Halloween party or go trick or treating at a city close to our dingy little town. I used to take my kids trick or treating but they are young adults now

Gardner32 Guest
    We have never gotten a single trick or treater. We live on a secluded dark street with only 6 houses on it. Our driveway is really long and dark, with lots of trees, spooky at night!

OBX Guest
    I am like Garner32, except where I live all the houses are for summer rentals. They are empty this time of year except for the occasional fishermen.

No we don't get many. But I still put out the lights, dancing skulls and giant spider anyway. The adults who live here love 'em!

Danny62 Guest
    Not much anymore. I think Parents are afraid to take there kids around!

My 4 year old went thru the complex today at daycare and got plenty of candy so she is in for the night.

Sad..but I don't trust getting candy from people I don't know anymore!!

What a world this has become!!

poppie Guest
    We may get close to 100 kids. The tiny ones will be here first with their parents, while it is still light out. They are so cute and my favorites. About 9, the smarty-pants big kids arrive, no costumes, so I shut out the lights. Don't want any trouble!

Edited to say that last night was strange. Only 21 goblins showed. I was giving individual packs of pretzels. Good thing pretzels are one of my favorite junk foods.
    Last edited by poppie; 11-01-2007 at 10:50 AM.

xenaswolf Guest
    Nope and I always put a no trick or treat sign on my door. I don't buy candy ( well ok I do but its for me!) LOL

Ruffian Guest
    We just came in from trick or treating and now it's my turn to dish out the candy. We live in a great community where kids and parents alike dress up in really good costumes. The kids use pillow cases for their candy and everyone decorates to make it nice and spooky. The streets are filled with children and parents....and NEVER has their been an incident other than someone getting a belly ache (like me!) from eating too many goodies.

Belle Guest
    I have a 9 year old daughter, and this is the first year I did NOT hand out candy from my home. We took her to some organized events.

We don't have any kids in the neighborhood for her to play with, but on Halloween the neighborhood is flooded with large groups of kids from other neighborhoods driven in by adults in cars and vans. Plenty don't even wear costumes. Few say trick or treat. None of them say thank you.

I've heard that minorities, lower income, or greedy people drive groups into neighborhoods where they think the "rich people" have good candy or the neighborhood is safer. This amazes me they end up HERE because my city neighborhood is not decorated up or even upper middle class. We don't even have two story houses on my block LOL! If I was going to DRIVE my kid to look for the mother load of candy, there ARE plenty of rich suburbs within 2-5 miles.

If the parents are worried about safety, they sure could get OUT of the car and walk with the kids.

Was there really a day when you sent your kid out in their OWN neighborhood and LET THEM eat the candy?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Nope and I always put a no trick or treat sign on my door. I don't buy candy ( well ok I do but its for me!) LOL
    I just let them knock and ignore them. I also keep the lights off and the porch light off to make them think no one is home.

I haven't gotten one kid yet. Oh, well..more candy for me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Have you ever had any pranks pulled on you because of it? The reason I ask is, back in Sandpoint where I'm from, it's a small town. (But the kids in town would still go through 9 or 10 bags of candy a year coming to my house, lol.). Anyhoo, when a new woman moved into a house down the street she did the same thing you mention. Her house got egged, tp'd, windows soaped-the works! I thought that was pretty darned extreme even though I'd heard of stuff like that happening before and am wondering if the same has happened to you or not.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Haven't gotten any tonight yet probably won't either. Most kids hit organized events around here.

Belle Guest
    If you quietly put a sign up that says "Sorry, NO TREATS TODAY", pull the blinds down, don't have decorations up or a porch light on you most likely won't get vandalized. However, if you are known at any point during the year for being a grump or "different" or look old (thereby creating the de-facto appearance of cranky) you'll get hit candy hand out or not in my experience.

disco Guest

Exclamation

people dont walk this neighborhood at night
    the older kids ruin it for the younger kids
    better to go to a halloween party at school or church

MorbidMolly Guest
    Nope....Miami isn`t condusive to children out alone at night....we have enough real ghouls.....

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    Do you get alot of trick ot treaters at your door? Do you have any kids that go trick or treating?
    Not since I put the large white wreath on the door and the "Funeral" sign out front....

Gary Guest
    I had a total of 7 kids tonight. A couple years back I ran out of candy!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post

Not many kids come up to my house, we live next to a elementry school and most of the kids go there for a Halloween party or go trick or treating at a city close to our dingy little town. I used to take my kids trick or treating but they are young adults now

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Not since I put the large white wreath on the door and the "Funeral" sign out front....
    LMAO.......

Cataroo Guest
    Not a single one here tonight .. which is FINE with me! Too busy watching Scott on "Horrifying Hollywood Murders" (for at LEAST the 6th time)!!

Last year I had the all the works up. I decorated my garden window with lights, spiders hanging from the rafters, ghouls, and then outside we put a Marcus the Carcass light up figure. Ceramic pumpkins with candles, Porch light on, 9 lbs of good candy ready to be given out, and NO ONE showed up that evening. I was kinda sad, because I love giving candy to the kids. But I found out that alot of kids in our area go to the more prominent neighborhoods, or to the mall, or the nearby park where they throw a carnival for the kids. Our town home is situation with one side facing a residential street, and on the other side, a big alley way looking at a adult shop, pizza joint, and pet store. LOL! No wonder no one came by.

Loads of kids! First the little ones with their parents, followed later by the teenagers who are trying to destroy the dental work that their parents paid thousands of dollars for with free candy.

kelbons Guest
    This year we hardly had any! Maybe forty kids. Kind of disappointing, since my daughter is three this year and really got a kick out of the ones that she saw. Every time the doorbell rang, she darted for the door to greet the Trick-or-Treaters.

There is a scheduled time here - 6:00-8:00, so my light was off by 8:10. Had to get the princess in the tub!

Nope, never a trick or treater in all the years we've lived here. But our house is at the end of a dark cul-de-sac and our driveway goes up very steep about a quarter mile to our front door. Unless they have flash lights, extreme bravery and great leg muscles, they're not going to come to our house. Oh, and did I mention that our house is within walking distance of a cemetery???? Wooooooo ha ha ha!

But dang, it really pisses us off. In spite of how secluded and hard it is to get to our house, we still get Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon kids on bicycles. One year my husband lost it with them because the door bell rang with like 3 or 4 minutes left to go in the Super Bowl. I think he said something along the lines of, "Get the Hell out of here and don't come back, especially on Super Bowl Sunday!!!"
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Kathyf Guest
    We had about 90 kids not as many as we used to.

I shut it down at 8:45 tonight. LOTS of kids - A LOT of teenagers - quite a few not dressed up, either - just out for free candy.

A few cute little kids. Most were well-mannered and said "thank you" after I gave them the candy.

Most of the kids are trucked in from other parts of town, since I live on a country club - with my step-father (who owns the house, so shut up! ), so they all come in to get candy from the "rich" people.

I had a whopping total of 1 trick or treater and she was the neighbors kid. Wooooooo! The sad thing is that that is the about the average.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Have you ever had any pranks pulled on you because of it? The reason I ask is, back in Sandpoint where I'm from, it's a small town. (But the kids in town would still go through 9 or 10 bags of candy a year coming to my house, lol.). Anyhoo, when a new woman moved into a house down the street she did the same thing you mention. Her house got egged, tp'd, windows soaped-the works! I thought that was pretty darned extreme even though I'd heard of stuff like that happening before and am wondering if the same has happened to you or not.

Nope never had any problems...of course everyone in the neighborhood refers to me as the crazy biker dyke in 5....

I had seven. I also live at the end of a cul-de-sac and most of it is dark so parents just don't want to walk that far for one house. My kids went out. It was my grandsons first halloween, he was a lion (four months old) Too cute . My older kids were in costume but claimed they didn't get candy. (I don't believe that for a second..lol) I love this holiday
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

SlippyInvader Guest
    Nope. We only had one turn up at our door last night.

djdeath-hag Guest
    We had a handful of kids....probably about 15 total, which is about average for this neighborhood....which has loads of kids & is relatively safe.....but safety is relative.

So....does anyone else find it odd that as children we're often told NEVER take candy from strangers......except, oh well...it's Halloween what harm could come?!?! When is there gonna be a holiday when kids are encouraged to accept rides in cars with strangers? I've got a perfectly good trenchcoat....and time on my hands. JK!!!!

We probably had close to about 80 kids. I live in an urban area with multi-family houses, so if the porch light is on, you can sometimes knock out 2-3 "trick or treats" by ringing all the doorbells. it's unofficially 5-7PM, but because of the lack of change on daylight savings it ended up being from 6-8PM. It was a beautiful evening, too, so everybody was out. I took the kids around with a friend of mine who brought her daughter, and my husband handed out the candy. We live on the 2nd and 3rd floors of a two-family, so he brought down a chair and just sat on the porch. He's 6 foot 7, so nobody messes with him! All of the pumpkins (we carved 4) were still on the porch steps and intact this morning.

Cheers,
    Amy

By the way, there is only one documented case of a child being poisoned with Halloween candy, and that was by the kid's _father_ who did it for insurance money, and no documented cases of razor blades in apples. Check out the urban legend websites if you don't believe. Getting hit by cars in the dark is another matter . . .

ComputerGuy Guest
    After several hundred dollars in tombstones, speacial effects, foggers, strobe lights, singing pumpkins

15 kids showed up

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    After several hundred dollars in tombstones, speacial effects, foggers, strobe lights, singing pumpkins

15 kids showed up
    Yes...but those 15 will always remember it. We had a bunch of kids show up...at least 100

bluebear71 Guest
    we probably had 20 or so, which is more than we had last year. What really annoys me, for some reason, is the kids going around in a car and begging for hand outs. Some did'nt even bother to put on a costume!!! I refuse to give them anything but a hard time. Some really adorable little ones though, I love this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

15 kids showed up
    What magblax said! I'm sure they'll remember, and next year they'll bring everybody they know, and you'll have hundreds. Can I live in your neighborhood? We had a few decent displays, but nothing on the scale you did!

Guest Guest
    I had like 3 kids show up at the door last night, I had no candy my light wasn't on and the house was dark as well. After the third knock I said screw it. My 1 yr old was trying to sleep. I taped a sign on the door that said Neighborhood Witch, Yes I eat Kids and your little dog too!

After that it was quite peaceful.

Tyler77 Guest
    About 15 tonight. And I lovvve buying those paper goodie bags and filling them with the "good stuff"--Snickers, Three Musketeers, Milky Ways...None of that "lame" candy I remember like Mary Jane candies and Hershey's Dark candy--blecchh! I've lived in my home for 25 years, and I remember that when I first moved in, there were a lot of neighborhood kids and therefore more trick-or-treaters. Hey, they grow up and move on and us old farts are left behind.....

And yeah, why is it that the high school aged kids come out at 9 pm dressed in torn jeans and a robe? You call that a costume?