Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 731

Thread: Jean Harlow

  1. #151
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Filmmaker78 View Post
    Personally, I think she had a face like a shovel. She looked 40+ when she was in her 20's.

    However, I've always liked this photograph:



    And I appreciate that she had that "old-fashioned," "real woman" body, like Monroe, Mansfield, etc. -- not a stick figure.
    Ridiculous. I really do allow people to have their opinions, but Jean Harlow NEVER looked 40+ - even after she became really sick in 1936. I am also unfamiliar with the "shovel" analogy. While I'll admit, she did look older than her age in some of her roles, this was pretty much the order of the day back in that era. Garbo, Dietrich & many other leading ladies looked more mature back in those days, but to say she looked over 40 is a gross exagerration. People simply weren't obsessed back then with looking like 13 year olds when they were in their 20's.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 03-09-2008 at 11:46 AM.

  2. #152
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    On another note..........

    Scott is really killing me with the suspense here!

    I am DESPERATELY awaiting his write-up on Jean Harlow. My sources tell me that Scott has been working on it for a long time now and it should turn out to be one of his best write-ups on Find a Death. Hopefully he'll have a separate one on Paul Bern as well, as that scandal certainly warrants it's own story. If you're reading this Scott, please get that Harlow story up ASAP before I blow a circuit! (just kidding).
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 03-09-2008 at 10:45 AM.

  3. #153
    Filmmaker78 Guest


    The above face is just not attractive to me on any level - and in that pick she's even managed to cover up her cleft chin.

    Give me:



    or...



    or, to pick a Harlow contemporary...



    ...or about 200 other actresses throughout Hollywood history over Harlow (may she RIP).

    I think the 30's in general were not a good decade for beautiful women in the movies, relative to the rest of Hollywood history. Things took off like a rocket in the 40's and 50's, though.
    Last edited by Filmmaker78; 03-09-2008 at 05:55 PM.

  4. #154
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest


    The above face is just not attractive to me on any level - and in that pick she's even managed to cover up her cleft chin.

    Give me:



    or...



    or, to pick a Harlow contemporary...



    ...or about 200 other actresses throughout Hollywood history over Harlow (may she RIP).

    I think the 30's in general were not a good decade for beautiful women in the movies, relative to the rest of Hollywood history. Things took off like a rocket in the 40's and 50's, though.[/quote]

    I'm a bit out of the loop here......

    Is a chin cleft supposed to be some sort of flaw?

    Regarding the 1930's: Well, you're certainly entitled to believe this, but Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, Myrna Loy, Marlene Dietrich, Joan Crawford & many other actresses from the 1930's were/are still considered beautiful women regardless of decade. I would counter that the 1930's possessed a great deal of MANY beautiful women as did the decades before and after it. The notion that things didn't take off until after the 1930's is a bit short-sighted, imho. Beauty simply couldn't be confined to after a particular decade. I guess my definition of beauty is just a bit broader.

    The women you listed are undoubtedly beautiful, but some such as Grace Kelly are very conventional - too much so for my taste. She just looks "beautiful" but not really at all interesting to me - which I think is almost as important. To me, Greta Garbo & Jean Harlow are prime examples of sirens who look INTERESTING & have very expressive faces which seem to speak before they even open their mouths. Marilyn Monroe idolized Jean Harlow and much of her style was borrowed from Harlow. I like Marilyn. I think Marilyn was pretty conventional too, however, I like Marilyn much more than Grace Kelly. Harlow did not have a true successor until Monroe came around in the 1950's.

    Amazing how this issue of beauty is so polarizing. Giants such as George Hurrell, C.S. Bull, Martin Scorsese and many of the great MGM D.P's like Hal Rosson were obviously able to see something special in Harlow's beauty - I'm proud to be a part of this company.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 03-09-2008 at 10:55 PM.

  5. #155
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest

  6. #156
    Reecy Guest

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post


    To me, Greta Garbo & Jean Harlow are prime examples of sirens who look INTERESTING & have very expressive faces which seem to speak before they even open their mouths. Marilyn Monroe idolized Jean Harlow and much of her style was borrowed from Harlow. I like Marilyn. I think Marilyn was pretty conventional too, however, I like Marilyn much more than Grace Kelly. Harlow did not have a true successor until Monroe came around in the 1950's.

    Amazing how this issue of beauty is so polarizing. Giants such as George Hurrell, C.S. Bull, Martin Scorsese and many of the great MGM D.P's like Hal Rosson were obviously able to see something special in Harlow's beauty - I'm proud to be a part of this company.
    Me too. Count me in.

  7. #157
    Katie Guest
    I have enjoyed going through all of the info on here. I, of course knew who she was, but did not know the details.

    Thanks again for all the good info.

  8. #158
    imogene schlogenwockle Guest

    Jean Harlow

    She suffered something more than renal failure and that was an evil, g.d. bitch of a stage mother who did not deserve to be buried in the same place.

  9. #159
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imogene schlogenwockle View Post
    She suffered something more than renal failure and that was an evil, g.d. bitch of a stage mother who did not deserve to be buried in the same place.
    Renal failure was her only cause of death. I am not crazy about mother Jean either, but it's kind of a catch-22. Without her, we wouldn't have had Jean Harlow the film star, as it was mother Jean who was really obsessed with making it big in Hollywood as an actress. When mother's Hollywood dreams failed, she then pushed her daughter Harlean into film (much to young Harlean's dismay) and the rest is history. Mother Jean is buried in the Harlow room in Forest Lawn which I recently learned is still owned by the William Powell Estate (which still delivers flowers every year for her birth & death dates). William powell died in 1984 and is buried in Palm Springs.

  10. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Renal failure was her only cause of death. I am not crazy about mother Jean either, but it's kind of a catch-22. Without her, we wouldn't have had Jean Harlow the film star, as it was mother Jean who was really obsessed with making it big in Hollywood as an actress. When mother's Hollywood dreams failed, she then pushed her daughter Harlean into film (much to young Harlean's dismay) and the rest is history. Mother Jean is buried in the Harlow room in Forest Lawn which I recently learned is still owned by the William Powell Estate (which still delivers flowers every year for her birth & death dates). William powell died in 1984 and is buried in Palm Springs.

    Very interesting..I hadn't known that the Powell estate still owned the Harlow room, or about the flower deliveries. About Mother Jean, while I don't doubt she may have had personality traits that were obnoxious, you have to remember that she was up against some very slick people in the movie business like Louis B. Mayer and a slew of agents and other slicksters who wanted to capitalize on Jean's sexuality. I think in some ways she probably got a bad rap. You had to be tough to survive in that environment and she may have gotten her daughter some good contracts and deals that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Just think about it: would you want an aggressive parent on your side, looking out for you in that environment, or a wimpy person who didn't understand the scene? Jean obviously felt very close to her mother, although sometimes love/hate. But I do think Mother Jean was like all powerful women: people love to hate 'em. Maybe she wasn't subservient to the powers that be at MGM all the time and so they passed bad stories around about her? Who knows? Just something to think about...........

  11. #161
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Very interesting..I hadn't known that the Powell estate still owned the Harlow room, or about the flower deliveries. About Mother Jean, while I don't doubt she may have had personality traits that were obnoxious, you have to remember that she was up against some very slick people in the movie business like Louis B. Mayer and a slew of agents and other slicksters who wanted to capitalize on Jean's sexuality. I think in some ways she probably got a bad rap. You had to be tough to survive in that environment and she may have gotten her daughter some good contracts and deals that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Just think about it: would you want an aggressive parent on your side, looking out for you in that environment, or a wimpy person who didn't understand the scene? Jean obviously felt very close to her mother, although sometimes love/hate. But I do think Mother Jean was like all powerful women: people love to hate 'em. Maybe she wasn't subservient to the powers that be at MGM all the time and so they passed bad stories around about her? Who knows? Just something to think about...........
    You know, I would certainly love to believe this were the case, but from everything I've read and heard regarding mother Jean, she was a very selfish woman who squandered away her daughter's money and happiness. She prevented Harlean from visiting her father, forced her to have an abortion, sabotaged her relationships, built an obscene Beverly Hills mansion with her daughter's money, and would then show up on the set of her films dressed to the nines along with her leech of a husband Marino Bello parading like they were important people. I do think the criticism of mother Jean is much deserved. She was simply living out her failed attempt at stardom through her daughter. Let's not also forget that she did not want to relinquish her daughter's healthcare to Mayer and the studio in 1936-37, simply because she wanted to be in CONTROL. Does anyone doubt that MGM had access to the BEST doctor's on the planet for their superstars? Perhaps we would've had Jean a little longer if mother Jean's influence had been kept to a bare minimum.

    William Powell actually tried to help Jean out with her finances and hired a private dick to investigate Bello to find out if those Mexican diamond mines he was investing his stepdaughter's money in were real. Guess what? The money was going to a mistress and being used to escort starlets around Hollywood. I think that there were other people who could've done a better job at helping Jean than her mother. As you know, she was well liked and many people in the industry truly cared for her, and many in fact attempted to tell her that her mother was a corrupting influence. No evidence has ever been presented that mother Jean helped her daughter with agents, L.B. Mayer, etc, nor did mother Jean object to the 'exploitation' of her daughters sexuality. In my opinion, Jean would've been better off in the end with mother Jean and Bello out of her affairs.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-14-2008 at 10:31 AM.

  12. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    You know, I would certainly love to believe this were the case, but from everything I've read and heard regarding mother Jean, she was a very selfish woman who squandered away her daughter's money and happiness. She prevented Harlean from visiting her father, forced her to have an abortion, sabotaged her relationships, built an obscene Beverly Hills mansion with her daughter's money, and would then show up on the set of her films dressed to the nines along with her leech of a husband Marino Bello parading like they were important people. I do think the criticism of mother Jean is much deserved. She was simply living out her failed attempt at stardom through her daughter. Let's not also forget that she did not want to relinquish her daughter's healthcare to Mayer and the studio in 1936-37, simply because she wanted to be in CONTROL. Does anyone doubt that MGM had access to the BEST doctor's on the planet for their superstars? Perhaps we would've had Jean a little longer if mother Jean's influence had been kept to a bare minimum.

    William Powell actually tried to help Jean out with her finances and hired a private dick to investigate Bello to find out if those Mexican diamond mines he was investing his stepdaughter's money in were real. Guess what? The money was going to a mistress and being used to escort starlets around Hollywood. I think that there were other people who could've done a better job at helping Jean than her mother. As you know, she was well liked and many people in the industry truly cared for her, and many in fact attempted to tell her that her mother was a corrupting influence. No evidence has ever been presented that mother Jean helped her daughter with agents, L.B. Mayer, etc, nor did mother Jean object to the 'exploitation' of her daughters sexuality. In my opinion, Jean would've been better off in the end with mother Jean and Bello out of her affairs.
    You make a lot of good and accurate points about Mother Jean. It's obvious to me that she was living vicariously through her daughter's success, that she herself had wanted so badly and could never have. Even though her motives expressed themselves in negative ways, she was the engine that initially pushed "the baby" into the business and without that engine, there truly would not have been a "Jean Harlow". All you say may be true, that we would have had Jean longer, that her money would not have been squandered, and the whole Marino Bello mess (what a loser!) would never have been a part of poor Jean's life. But ultimately I guess I do see a cosmic role in the mother's pushing, because it brought to light a beautiful soul that none of us would ever have seen without it. And when she died, I don't feel that Mother Jean mourned the loss of a meal ticket. I think she deeply loved her daughter, perhaps in a strange, at times selfish way, but truly saw something special in her. Jean, herself, didn't have it within her to push herself forward into the limelight. So, we have Mother Jean to blame - and to thank......

  13. #163
    Lucy Furr Guest
    call me crazy but I think she strongly resembled Mae West: albeit a much thinner and younger and much more feminine Mae, but Mae all the same.






  14. #164
    Lucy Furr Guest
    What gets me is her amazing talent. I've been a classic movie fan for as long as I can remember but I only recently got into Jean and was blown away the moment I first saw her at work.

  15. #165
    Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    call me crazy but I think she strongly resembled Mae West: albeit a much thinner and younger and much more feminine Mae, but Mae all the same.






  16. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,233
    I have an old paperback book by Irving Shulman
    called "Harlow" that was very interesting.
    Nice old pictures about Jean.

  17. #167
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    You make a lot of good and accurate points about Mother Jean. It's obvious to me that she was living vicariously through her daughter's success, that she herself had wanted so badly and could never have. Even though her motives expressed themselves in negative ways, she was the engine that initially pushed "the baby" into the business and without that engine, there truly would not have been a "Jean Harlow". All you say may be true, that we would have had Jean longer, that her money would not have been squandered, and the whole Marino Bello mess (what a loser!) would never have been a part of poor Jean's life. But ultimately I guess I do see a cosmic role in the mother's pushing, because it brought to light a beautiful soul that none of us would ever have seen without it. And when she died, I don't feel that Mother Jean mourned the loss of a meal ticket. I think she deeply loved her daughter, perhaps in a strange, at times selfish way, but truly saw something special in her. Jean, herself, didn't have it within her to push herself forward into the limelight. So, we have Mother Jean to blame - and to thank......
    I have no doubt that mother Jean loved her only child dearly. Harlean was obviously a special little girl who required guidance, but mother Jean's love simply manifested itself in ways which were destructive to her daughter. I too am glad that we had "Jean Harlow" the actress, albeit only for a short time.

  18. #168
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I have an old paperback book by Irving Shulman
    called "Harlow" that was very interesting.
    Nice old pictures about Jean.
    Believe me, the pictures are the ONLY thing that make that trashy book worth owning.

  19. #169
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    call me crazy but I think she strongly resembled Mae West: albeit a much thinner and younger and much more feminine Mae, but Mae all the same.





    Well, they had similar styles, but facially I don't see much of a resemblence. Mae's "rack" was larger than Jean's though, but Jean was a thin girl. If you google the pictures of Jean with heavyweight boxing champ Primo Carnera, he looked as if he could literally scoop little Jean up with one hand.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.

  20. #170
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    I've always considered L.B. Mayer a malicious tyrant. However, I came across the beautiful press release he issued the day following Jean's death on July 8, 1937:

    This is the end of a rich personal friendship. This girl whom so many millions adored was one of the sweetest persons I have known in thirty years of the theatrical business. I have lost a friend. The world has lost a ray of sunshine. She was a delight to handle as a star. She was one of the most charming, thoughtful & reasonable players with whom I've been associated. She made all who had anything to do with her in an executive capacity ever anxious to please her, to contribute to her happiness.

    Hard to believe this is the same Mayer who often referred to Judy Garland as "My little hunchback". I guess this goes to show that people have many angles. Lol.

  21. #171
    Layla331 Guest
    i have to say this particular thread..and everytime an opinion is givin,,the need to tell them how wrong they are..still makes me giggle..esp in the opinion of looks which is competely a matter of taste...tee hee..carry on

  22. #172
    Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    call me crazy but I think she strongly resembled Mae West: albeit a much thinner and younger and much more feminine Mae, but Mae all the same.





    I have to respectfully disagree...Jean was MUCH prettier and sexier. I would have done her in a heartbeat if I could have.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    I've always considered L.B. Mayer a malicious tyrant. However, I came across the beautiful press release he issued the day following Jean's death on July 8, 1937:

    This is the end of a rich personal friendship. This girl whom so many millions adored was one of the sweetest persons I have known in thirty years of the theatrical business. I have lost a friend. The world has lost a ray of sunshine. She was a delight to handle as a star. She was one of the most charming, thoughtful & reasonable players with whom I've been associated. She made all who had anything to do with her in an executive capacity ever anxious to please her, to contribute to her happiness.

    Hard to believe this is the same Mayer who often referred to Judy Garland as "My little hunchback". I guess this goes to show that people have many angles. Lol.
    I'm relatively certain that MAYER' first concern would likely have been for that of M.G.M. as an entity when he gave a 'press release', besides who' to say that it it wasn't comprised of the thoughts of HOWARD STRICKLING ? Also, MAYER' demeaning nickname for GARLAND was not one that went to press during his reign as studio head; that tidbit came out years later.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  24. #174
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    i have to say this particular thread..and everytime an opinion is givin,,the need to tell them how wrong they are..still makes me giggle..esp in the opinion of looks which is competely a matter of taste...tee hee..carry on
    Really? probably because some of the things (such as the cause of Jean's death, etc,) go deeper than mere "opinion". I see nothing wrong with correcting people on information/facts which exist independent of ones opinion. Many people are new to Jean Harlow, so when/if I correct someone, it is done out of courtesy, nothing more. When I usually respond to something in the realm of opinion, I generally try to cap it with "in my opinion" or imho, though I'm aware I'm not always successful. As far as opinions on physical beauty, I agree with you here. I also have no problem with challenging someone's opinion or they challenging mine as long as it remains civil. For example, Lucy says Mae looks like Jean. I don't agree, and stated the reason why if you read my response to her. I didn't tell her she was wrong. If she believes Jean looks like Mae or doesn't, that's perfectly fine with me. As a big fan of Harlow, I hope to keep the discussion on her interesting in the vein of HoorayforHollywoods posts. Jean was an amazing screen presence and there's much more to her nearly 80 year legacy than just her looks. I really hope people can learn something about Jean here, and hope this thread MORE IMPORTANTLY encourages them to seek out her films to see why her legacy has endured.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-15-2008 at 08:40 PM.

  25. #175
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I'm relatively certain that MAYER' first concern would likely have been for that of M.G.M. as an entity when he gave a 'press release', besides who' to say that it it wasn't comprised of the thoughts of HOWARD STRICKLING ? Also, MAYER' demeaning nickname for GARLAND was not one that went to press during his reign as studio head; that tidbit came out years later.
    That's possible. I'm certainly giving Mayer the benefit of the doubt here since it's now known that he was quite upset over Jean's death. He did like her personally despite loathing her screen image. The press release does appear to be in the spirit of what those who knew her personally have said about her.

    I was unaware of the timeframe in which the Garland statement originated, my point in using it was to show just how cruel L.B. could be towards his stars. Thanks for the clarification though.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-15-2008 at 08:25 PM.

  26. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Really? probably because some of the things (such as the cause of Jean's death, etc,) go deeper than mere "opinion". I see nothing wrong with correcting people on information/facts which exist independent of ones opinion. Many people are new to Jean Harlow, so when/if I correct someone, it is done out of courtesy, nothing more. When I usually respond to something in the realm of opinion, I generally try to cap it with "in my opinion" or imho, though I'm aware I'm not always successful. As far as opinions on physical beauty, I agree here with you here. I also have no problem with challenging someone's opinion or they challenging mine as long as it remains civil. For example, Lucy says Mae looks like Jean. I don't agree, and stated the reason why if you read my response to her. I didn't tell her she was wrong. If she believes Jean looks like Mae or doesn't, that's perfectly fine with me. As a big fan of Harlow, I hope to keep the discussion on her interesting in the vein of HoorayforHollywoods posts. Jean was an amazing screen presence and there's much more to her nearly 80 year legacy than just her looks. I really hope people can learn something about Jean here, and hope this thread encourages them to seek out her films to see why her legacy has endured.
    I totally agree that keeping things civil is the best way to have a great communication. People can disagree and explore all the angles of their differing opinions. That's what makes this board so interesting and our Harlow discussions so stimulating. We're all learning a lot about her, and that's the most important thing - to inspire others to see her films, and learn the truth about her life. Regarding Jean resembling other actresses, it's odd, but I've sometimes seen a resemblance between her and Lucille Ball. I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, but there's something about the two of them, maybe the large eyes or the comedic ability that is similar. Obviously, their coloring was different, redhead and blonde, but every now and then I've seen pictures of Harlow that seem so Lucille Ball, maybe when she was a bit older and had grown out of that round faced flapper era image. She had started to come into her own in light comedy and I thought she had a very Lucille Ball type persona, albeit not the raucous type of comic presence. It's too bad she never was able to realize her potential in that area. Again, I enjoy the give and take and all the different views. I learn new things every day here!

  27. #177
    Layla331 Guest
    didnt say facts said opinions..and as i go over the posts my point is proven and most certainly not always done respectfully .and wow no offense but i didnt name you personally as being the one i was speaking of yet you assumed it was you..hmmm ok anyway..have a good one
    Last edited by Layla331; 04-16-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: q

  28. #178
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    didnt say facts said opinions..and as i go over the posts my point is proven and most certainly not always done respectfully .and wow no offense but i didnt name you personally as being the one i was speaking of yet you assumed it was you..hmmm ok anyway..have a good one
    Let's be honest here...I don't think it's much of an "assumption" that I was probably one of the individuals your post was aimed at (If not, please say so). I simply responded and thought I would clarify things. As I stated in an earlier post, If I have not always responded respectfully to posts in your view, then I apologize.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.

  29. #179
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Regarding Jean resembling other actresses, it's odd, but I've sometimes seen a resemblance between her and Lucille Ball. I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, but there's something about the two of them, maybe the large eyes or the comedic ability that is similar.
    You know, I saw Stagedoor for the first time two nights ago and thought the same thing. She did starkly resemble Jean as she looked in Red-Headed Woman, especially when viewed from a side profile. Lucy was much taller than Jean, but they did share a passing resemblance. I've also read that Lucy was a big fan of Jean's (who wasn't back then save for Wallace Beery & Joan Crawford!?). I really liked Ginger Rogers and her wisecracks in this one, and having seen Grease quite recently, I must say that Eve Arden did age quite well over the course of 40 years. I've heard fans speculate that if Jean had lived, she probably would've eventually gone into television ala Lucy or Loretta Young. I'm not certain of this, as Jean may've simply retired to raise a family. It seems that most of the great MGM leading ladies retired in their 30's (Garbo, Shearer). Jean had always said she would continue to make films as long as the public wanted to see her, so who knows what course things would've taken had she lived.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-16-2008 at 12:03 PM.

  30. #180
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,339
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    You know, I saw Stagedoor for the first time two nights ago and thought the same thing. She did starkly resemble Jean as she looked in Red-Headed Woman, especially when viewed from a side profile. Lucy was much taller than Jean, but they did share a passing resemblance. I've also read that Lucy was a big fan of Jean's (who wasn't back then save for Wallace Beery & Joan Crawford!?).
    Also to be noted the fact that for many of the actresses on the same movie set is that the hair & make-up people gave them a 'uniform' look so that the end result was that they ended up strongly resembling one another.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  31. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,233
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Believe me, the pictures are the ONLY thing that make that trashy book worth owning.
    Nobody is perfect.

  32. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Believe me, the pictures are the ONLY thing that make that trashy book worth owning.
    That's certainly true. The one thing, however, that I find somewhat intriguing about that book is that Shulman had to have gotten at least SOME credible information from Arthur Landau (who says his only contact with Shulman was via mail, answering questions about Jean). For instance, Shulman quotes Landau as saying that it wasn't at all unusual for Jean to use the bathroom 3-4 times in an hour. To me, that sounds like something Landau indeed might have witnessed firsthand. I'm certainly not defending the garbage in Shulman's book, but if read carefully, I find little nuggets of potential truth that probably did have some credibility and legitimacy from Landau, even though he was only very briefly Jean's agent and in fact didn't see her for years. If she was already having "bathroom" problems in her early years, the poor girl must have been sick and suffering far more from kidney disease than anyone ever knew. Using the bathroom 3-4 times an hour is quite stressful and terrible........How pitiful if true.....that particular assertion on the part of Landau has the ring of truth, in view of the fact that she died of kidney disease, and I doubt Shulman was bright enough to make up that rather subtle fact on his own, no matter how good a liar he obviously was.....so, I suppose one can pick through the Shulman book and pull out a few tiny bits of interest that are, in fact, true from Landau.

  33. #183
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Here is a small nippet of an interview Lisa Burks did with "Bombshell" author David Stenn some ten years ago or so where he discusses Irv Shulman:

    TALK ABOUT TRICKY SUBJECTS, YOU INTERVIEWED "HARLOW" AUTHOR IRVING SHULMAN. WHAT DID THAT MAN HAVE TO SAY FOR HIMSELF?
    It's important to remember that Irving Shulman was a novelist, and a pulpy one at that. He wrote "The Amboy Dukes" which was a bestseller, and a very racy book for it's era. And at the time he concocted "Harlow," there was no standard for this specific genre. So since Shulman was a novelist, he novelized Jean Harlow's life. When I asked him why, he quoted Lytton Strachey: "The line between fictional biography and biographical fiction is very fine indeed." He hid behind that line. That was his excuse.
    In fairness to Shulman, there is some truth in that book. He did have access to a couple of telegrams that Mother Jean wrote, and a couple of letters which I’ve seen and they're genuine. But the Paul Bern wedding night dildo saga, which was one of the many rumors, he chose to present as fact. Christian Science causing Jean Harlow’s death, a more rampant rumor and also untrue, Shulman gave as gospel. And of course he invented dialogue, turning Jean Harlow into a profane slut.
    WAS HE WILLING TO TALK TO YOU RIGHT OFF THE BAT?
    Absolutely. He had no shame at all. He was not apologetic or repentant. He felt that he had written a groundbreaking bestseller and made a lot of money. He didn't care, quite frankly, about how it affected the people who knew and loved Jean Harlow -- and that's so antithetical to my philosophy... But like I say, I try and understand everyone's point of view, because condemning someone is easy. But in this case, it was hard to avoid. Because I'm told his book broke Mont Carpenter's heart, and I think that's reprehensible. I don't want to dwell on this. It's not worth the time. William Powell said it best: after reading "Harlow", he shook his head and said, "She wasn't like that at all." And of course, she wasn't.

    So there you have it. There were some nuggets of truth in Shulman's trashy hitpiece, which was probably just a by-product of his having access to Landau and some of Mother Jean's letters. For those who don't know, Mont Carpenter was Jean's father who was still alive at the time Shulman's book was published. Guess what? Shulman didn't even know he was still alive!? Just goes to show just how much effort Shulman placed into his research. I believe that Mont Carpenter sued Shulman and either won a settlement or settled out of court. I did recently get around to reading Shulman's Harlow just so I could see how bad it really was, and all I have to say is READER BEWARE. The photos in the book, though nice, can now be easily found on the internet, though when the book was published back in 1964, it was probably quite exciting to see those particular photos of Jean all in one book.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-16-2008 at 11:18 PM.

  34. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Here is a small nippet of an interview Lisa Burks did with "Bombshell" author David Stenn some ten years ago or so where he discusses Irv Shulman:

    TALK ABOUT TRICKY SUBJECTS, YOU INTERVIEWED "HARLOW" AUTHOR IRVING SHULMAN. WHAT DID THAT MAN HAVE TO SAY FOR HIMSELF?
    It's important to remember that Irving Shulman was a novelist, and a pulpy one at that. He wrote "The Amboy Dukes" which was a bestseller, and a very racy book for it's era. And at the time he concocted "Harlow," there was no standard for this specific genre. So since Shulman was a novelist, he novelized Jean Harlow's life. When I asked him why, he quoted Lytton Strachey: "The line between fictional biography and biographical fiction is very fine indeed." He hid behind that line. That was his excuse.
    In fairness to Shulman, there is some truth in that book. He did have access to a couple of telegrams that Mother Jean wrote, and a couple of letters which I‚??ve seen and they're genuine. But the Paul Bern wedding night dildo saga, which was one of the many rumors, he chose to present as fact. Christian Science causing Jean Harlow‚??s death, a more rampant rumor and also untrue, Shulman gave as gospel. And of course he invented dialogue, turning Jean Harlow into a profane slut.
    WAS HE WILLING TO TALK TO YOU RIGHT OFF THE BAT?
    Absolutely. He had no shame at all. He was not apologetic or repentant. He felt that he had written a groundbreaking bestseller and made a lot of money. He didn't care, quite frankly, about how it affected the people who knew and loved Jean Harlow -- and that's so antithetical to my philosophy... But like I say, I try and understand everyone's point of view, because condemning someone is easy. But in this case, it was hard to avoid. Because I'm told his book broke Mont Carpenter's heart, and I think that's reprehensible. I don't want to dwell on this. It's not worth the time. William Powell said it best: after reading "Harlow", he shook his head and said, "She wasn't like that at all." And of course, she wasn't.

    So there you have it. There were some nuggets of truth in Shulman's trashy hitpiece, which was probably just a by-product of his having access to Landau and some of Mother Jean's letters. For those who don't know, Mont Carpenter was Jean's father who was still alive at the time Shulman's book was published. Guess what? Shulman didn't even know he was still alive!? Just goes to show just how much effort Shulman placed into his research. I believe that Mont Carpenter sued Shulman and either won a settlement or settled out of court. I did recently get around to reading Shulman's Harlow just so I could see how bad it really was, and all I have to say is READER BEWARE. The photos in the book, though nice, can now be easily found on the internet, though when the book was published back in 1964, it was probably quite exciting to see those particular photos of Jean all in one book.
    I read the book when it first came out in 1964 as a kid. My mom was a huge Harlow fan and the minute it hit the stands, she bought a copy at a Thrifty Drugstore in L.A. I still have that copy, quite worn and falling apart now. I can still vividly recall the front cover and how amazed I was by this beautiful lady, Jean Harlow. Like everyone else, we took the book as "gospel". For years, my mom would periodically say, "That awful Paul Bern, to beat up Jean Harlow and kill her!" As an adult when the Eve Golden book came out, I gave it to my mom and she was genuinely shocked but also happy that the truth was now out. It just goes to show what an effect Shulman's book had on GENERATIONS of fans. Absolutely horrible. The photos are nice and yes, as a kid, I was knocked out by looking at them, literally staring for hours in fascination at her clothes, her hair, the poses. It was all quite new to me. For sure, Shulman should have been sued off the face of the earth. It was really insane that he didn't even know her father was alive when he wrote his crap. It seems that Landau was (apparently) sort of duped into the whole thing, although he, himself, knew that he hadn't been a part of her life for years. He was probably strapped for cash and took his opportunity for a payday while he could. I'd like to see a factual movie of her life, but God only knows what HollyWEIRD would do with it. They don't have a very good track record for honesty in "bio pics".

  35. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    You know, I saw Stagedoor for the first time two nights ago and thought the same thing. She did starkly resemble Jean as she looked in Red-Headed Woman, especially when viewed from a side profile. Lucy was much taller than Jean, but they did share a passing resemblance. I've also read that Lucy was a big fan of Jean's (who wasn't back then save for Wallace Beery & Joan Crawford!?). I really liked Ginger Rogers and her wisecracks in this one, and having seen Grease quite recently, I must say that Eve Arden did age quite well over the course of 40 years. I've heard fans speculate that if Jean had lived, she probably would've eventually gone into television ala Lucy or Loretta Young. I'm not certain of this, as Jean may've simply retired to raise a family. It seems that most of the great MGM leading ladies retired in their 30's (Garbo, Shearer). Jean had always said she would continue to make films as long as the public wanted to see her, so who knows what course things would've taken had she lived.
    That's cool to know I'm not the only one to see the Lucille Ball/Harlow resemblance. I thought it was just me! I didn't know Lucy was a big fan of hers! That's interesting. Can you imagine those two teamed up in a movie? Maybe they could have been wacky sisters or something. Now that would have been a piece of work!
    I think they would have had awesome chemistry. And I don't think it would have been a battle of female egos either or fighting over the mirror. They both had a very down to earth attitude about female beauty. Lucy was a clown and so was Harlow, at heart......

  36. #186
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I'd like to see a factual movie of her life, but God only knows what HollyWEIRD would do with it. They don't have a very good track record for honesty in "bio pics".
    Ditto.

    I know that Alison Eastwood (Clint's daughter) acquired the rights to David Stenn's Bombshell over 10 years ago in hopes of portraying Harlow in the film version. The film was never produced, and I've heard nothing about it since then. Alison is attractive, but very tall and lanky much like her father. I really don't think she would make a convincing Harlow despite a slight facial resemblance, and I've heard nothing but pans regarding her acting ability. I know Alison just directed her first film, so maybe she still retains the rights to Bombshell and plans to produce it at some point. I personally would rather see Marty Scorsese our the Coen Brothers tackle a Harlow biography. I think it'll have to be produced by a major producer/director for theatrical release to do the production justice, and not some knock-off made for cable bio-pic. There really isn't a great market for cinematic bios/scandals right now, with Hollywoodland and Black Dahlia both failing at the box-office less than 2 years ago (though to be honest, both of these films just weren't that good). I know one thing...Steve Buscemi would make an EXCELLENT Paul Bern!
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-17-2008 at 09:37 PM.

  37. #187
    Layla331 Guest
    If you had to recommend..one movie of Jean's for a first time viewer..that cases her the best...what would it be??

  38. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    If you had to recommend..one movie of Jean's for a first time viewer..that cases her the best...what would it be??
    I think "Red Dust" shows her in top form, being her sexy funny self in the way she'll always be best remembered. "China Seas" would be a close second with "Dinner at Eight" up there also, but that's just my opinion. I didn't particularly care for her later stuff, like "Wife vs. Secretary" when she tried to get away from her "bombshell" floozy image. For sheer morbid curiosity, I would also rent her last film "Saratoga" - not her best work, but she died during filming so it's sadly interesting from that standpoint. Again, just my opinion.

  39. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Ditto.

    I know that Alison Eastwood (Clint's daughter) acquired the rights to David Stenn's Bombshell over 10 years ago in hopes of portraying Harlow in the film version. The film was never produced, and I've heard nothing about it since then. Alison is attractive, but very tall and lanky much like her father. I really don't think she would make a convincing Harlow despite a slight facial resemblance, and I've heard nothing but pans regarding her acting ability. I know Alison just directed her first film, so maybe she still retains the rights to Bombshell and plans to produce it at some point. I personally would rather see Marty Scorsese our the Coen Brothers tackle a Harlow biography. I think it'll have to be produced by a major producer/director for theatrical release to do the production justice, and not some knock-off made for cable bio-pic. There really isn't a great market for cinematic bios/scandals right now, with Hollywoodland and Black Dahlia both failing at the box-office less than 2 years ago (though to be honest, both of these films just weren't that good). I know one thing...Steve Buscemi would make an EXCELLENT Paul Bern!
    I had heard about the Alison Eastwood possibility a couple of years ago and then nothing more, so I figured it was like all these projects - another wash out. I saw one pic of her and I couldn't really tell much about whether she could pull it off or not. And now that I know she's tall and lanky, forget it! And the Gwen Stefani as Harlow nonsense was enough to make me really lose hope that they'll ever find anybody who can do her justice. I thought she was AWFUL!!!! I'd never given any thought to casting Bern, but Buscemi is pretty darned good! He really has that "look", not to mention the receding hairline and generally depressed appearance, while at the same time being both creepy and sweet if that makes sense LOL. And to think that they cast Peter Lawford (!) in that horrible Harlow pic in the 60's. Can you believe the idiocy of that? Bern was about as far from leading man material as you can get, so geez, it makes sooooo much sense to cast a handsome matinee idol type like Lawford. UGH! It truly makes ya wonder what goes on in the minds of the "movers and shakers" of HollyWEIRD.......I agree that the bio pic genre is not too hot these days. I also fear that unless the younger generation is tempted by someone "hot" like a Gwen Stefani type that they can "relate" to from a marketing standpoint, the pic would fail because younger people simply don't know enough about Harlow to care about the accuracy of it. Depressing, but true....I suppose they'd cast Madonna as Harlow....GOD!

  40. #190
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    I second Hooray's opinion on film recommendations. Her earlier pre-code work is better, but I like Wife vs. Secretary for the dramatic performance that Jean gives. This is the only film that actually comes close to capturing how Harlow truly was offscreen. I also think Libeled Lady is right up there with some of her best earlier work. It's interesting to note that despite her later films being somewhat mediocre in comparison to her earlier pre-code work, her popularity continued to grow and all of these films made lots of money at the box office. Saratoga, her final film, was the largest grossing film of 1937.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-18-2008 at 11:58 AM.

  41. #191
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I had heard about the Alison Eastwood possibility a couple of years ago and then nothing more, so I figured it was like all these projects - another wash out. I saw one pic of her and I couldn't really tell much about whether she could pull it off or not. And now that I know she's tall and lanky, forget it! I also fear that unless the younger generation is tempted by someone "hot" like a Gwen Stefani type that they can "relate" to from a marketing standpoint, the pic would fail because younger people simply don't know enough about Harlow to care about the accuracy of it. Depressing, but true....I suppose they'd cast Madonna as Harlow....GOD!
    Yes, Alison is 5ft9 according to an old modeling page I once saw on her (forgot the website). The project probably washed out because save for being Clint's daughter, Alison likely doesn't have the clout to get a Harlow film produced on her own. As I stated earlier, it would probably take the interest of a successful director/producer to have it made. The Stefani part in The Aviator was just a cameo, so it really didn't bother me all that much. I was just happy to see her represented in the film. I remember reading that Stefani complained they got her hair all wrong for that Hell's Angels premiere scene -and they did. In Scorsese's defense, I do remember him saying that he was not looking for dead-ringers to play Ava, Kate or Jean. I believe that cameo by Gwen did ignite some interest in Harlow from young people, so I do think something positive came out of it. I generally don't like the practice of casting stars to play other stars. For example: If Christina Aguilera was cast as Jean Harlow or Uma Thurman was cast as Marlene Dietrich, It would be difficult to see this other than anything but two VERY famous contemporary personalities "portraying" classic screen stars. I've always preferred unknown's when it came to making celebrity bios because they don't have their own "star baggage" to bring to the role. I realize there have been some exceptions, such as Cate Blanchett as Kate Hepburn in The Aviator, but feel such examples have been few and far between imho.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-18-2008 at 12:00 PM.

  42. #192
    burgtwngrl Guest
    I have always thought Jean was one of the most beautiful women that ever existed. Marilyn too. It's so sad she left this earth way too soon...at least she'll always be forever young.

    Her mother seemed like a classic stage mom. It also seemed that Jean was never allowed to be happy either the studio, Paul Bern's Crazy X or her family got in the way such a waste she had such a short life and really wasn't able to enjoy herself.

  43. #193
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Good ole Superficial So Cal
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I'm a Harlow fan, her unexpected/strange death being a high point (or low point) of her life.....she's not listed at the main page of findadeath that I could find, but there is a page about her at the site if you type in her name on the search page.

    Anyway, for all you Harlow fans who want to see a few new tidbits, here's an interesting link to the Carpenter family (her father's side of the family)

    http://www.jeanharlow.info/carpenter2.html

    This link also has some great photos of the inside of the Forest Lawn, Glendale mausoleum where she's entombed . Today, apparently only family members with documentation of their family relationship can even get in to see her crypt. However, on an interesting personal trivia note, back in the 1970's I was able to get in to see her marble tomb at Forest Lawn, and even back then it was very difficult to get in. But they hadn't yet started asking for five generations of personal family connection just to get in there. Whew! Talk about control freaks! I had to almost beg the lady in charge to unlock the chained gate which allowed me to get in. She stood and watched like a hawk while I walked alone down the long marble corridor. Kinda creepy yet fun. I walked all the way down to the end of the marble corridor (very exciting!) and finally reached her tomb. The ceiling is made of stained glass stuff which allows a kind of heavenly light to shine through.

    Her crypt was at the very end of the hallway. I was amazed to see very lightly etched in the marble the words "Our Baby", which you can barely see. Very eerie yet beautiful. I didn't see any other names shown there, but her mother is also entombed with her. (her mother died in the 1950's)

    Anyway, it's too bad the public can no longer get in there. I don't know what Forest Lawn thinks we evil members of the public are gonna do - deface these grand tombs? Write grafitti? It's rather ridiculous but that's the way it is. I've never run into this elsewhere. After all, we the public made these stars rich and famous and I think we should at least be able to pay our respects if we want to. Obviously, family members of these powerful famous people have been able to request Forest Lawn to basically shut down that area for public access. Other "biggies" of the industry are in the same corridor: Irving Thalberg, Norma Shearer, etc. So, bottom line: I feel honored and lucky that I was able to see her crypt in person before it was removed from the public's eyes. If anybody else has stories related to this, please post! I'd like to know more............
    I believe Red Skelton shares the corridor with Harlow. As a former employee of Forest Lawn, the place does what they can to preserve the 'dignity' of the deceased...LOL...good thing they didn't know I was a death hag. I'll gladly share what celeb locations I know of there...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

    My own, personal, Dexter...

  44. #194
    burgtwngrl Guest
    I can understand thier thinking but if someone wants to pay thier respects they should be able to do so...that is what a cemetary is for...to go there spend some time with loved ones, people you admire etc. It's wrong for them to keep people away. My father was a caretaker of a cemetary and he wished people would come around more and visit the dead.

    If they are concerned with Vandalism then install security cameras and security guards.

    Hollywood Forever welcomes people to visit famous graves.

  45. #195
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I can understand thier thinking but if someone wants to pay thier respects they should be able to do so...that is what a cemetary is for...to go there spend some time with loved ones, people you admire etc. It's wrong for them to keep people away. My father was a caretaker of a cemetary and he wished people would come around more and visit the dead.

    If they are concerned with Vandalism then install security cameras and security guards.

    Hollywood Forever welcomes people to visit famous graves.
    The funny thing is that Forest Lawn has both - cameras AND security guards. FL has no problem pimping out their celebrity clients when they're trying to entice prospective property buyers. Since Jean Harlow has no immediate family, the only people who would be visiting her are primarily fans and admirer's. FL will have none of it though, BUT I've heard they have allowed people with deep pockets to come in and FILM her crypt?!? That's right - people who probably couldn't pick Jean out of a TCM movie line-up and can come in at will (if they're interested in buying property) and film her crypt, but they chase people paying their respects away? I actually had the lady at the front gate tell me that she couldn't let me in because the manager was giving a tour in the Great Mausoleum and would "get angry" if he saw flowers in her room!?!?! I told her that if placing flowers at someone's grave/crypt makes him angry, then perhaps he's in the wrong occupation since that's what cemetaries are generally for!? Saying something is VERY wrong with FL's policies is a gross understatement......

    It's downright disgusting.

  46. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    The funny thing is that Forest Lawn has both - cameras AND security guards. FL has no problem pimping out their celebrity clients when they're trying to entice prospective property buyers. Since Jean Harlow has no immediate family, the only people who would be visiting her are primarily fans and admirer's. FL will have none of it though, BUT I've heard they have allowed people with deep pockets to come in and FILM her crypt?!? That's right - people who probably couldn't pick Jean out of a TCM movie line-up and can come in at will (if they're interested in buying property) and film her crypt, but they chase people paying their respects away? I actually had the lady at the front gate tell me that she couldn't let me in because the manager was giving a tour in the Great Mausoleum and would "get angry" if he saw flowers in her room!?!?! I told her that if placing flowers at someone's grave/crypt makes him angry, then perhaps he's in the wrong occupation since that's what cemetaries are generally for!? Saying something is VERY wrong with FL's policies is a gross understatement......

    It's downright disgusting.
    I agree. it's terrible. I used to be a great admirer of FL, in fact both my parents had plots there before they moved away and bought elsewhere. If I were still in the area, I would definitely make my views known in person to the "higher ups" in charge. If they can give solid reasons as to exactly why this restrictive atmosphere is necessary, okay, I'd like to hear them. It's as if the Louvre in Paris suddenly said, well, we have all these great paintings here, but no one can get in to see them because of "security". That's what the cameras are for! I'm sure FL has a very good security system. I thought cemeteries were public places. So, if my parents had been buried there, would I have had to right to keep people away from their graves? Of course not. If they have the security in place to protect the high profile graves, that should be all that's necessary. Period. Little did I know back in the 70's when I got in to see Harlow's crypt (and even THEN they were already getting picky about letting people into that area), how lucky I was to see her final resting place. It's a loss for all her fans. Shame on FL!

  47. #197
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Petaluma Ca
    Posts
    4,672

    Saratoga

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Have any of you guys seen Saratoga yet and the coughing fit scene?? Its very errie to watch....and through out the film she has a cold so she acts sick...but the coughing fit you clearly hear clark gable call her Jean....

    She looks very puffy in the film as well, her figure is not as svelte.
    She must have been feeling horrible, but kept at it. Amazing.

  48. #198
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I agree. it's terrible. I used to be a great admirer of FL, in fact both my parents had plots there before they moved away and bought elsewhere. If I were still in the area, I would definitely make my views known in person to the "higher ups" in charge. If they can give solid reasons as to exactly why this restrictive atmosphere is necessary, okay, I'd like to hear them. It's as if the Louvre in Paris suddenly said, well, we have all these great paintings here, but no one can get in to see them because of "security". That's what the cameras are for! I'm sure FL has a very good security system. I thought cemeteries were public places. So, if my parents had been buried there, would I have had to right to keep people away from their graves? Of course not. If they have the security in place to protect the high profile graves, that should be all that's necessary. Period. Little did I know back in the 70's when I got in to see Harlow's crypt (and even THEN they were already getting picky about letting people into that area), how lucky I was to see her final resting place. It's a loss for all her fans. Shame on FL!
    Luckily, I am now able to go visit Jean's crypt since I eventually managed to win over the guard at the front gate. I usually go twice a year to take flowers. I am still disgusted with the way FL & the guards treat people coming to pay their respects. I once had the guard tell me that a young girl came with her mother and she did not allow them to go in. I asked her why? Afterall, she's was being supervised by her mother, so what kind of harm would it have done to allow them to pay their respects? She told me because "those are the rules." No rational explanation as to WHY those are the rules. The whole irony here is that this stupid policy is probably causing them to LOSE people who may be interested in buying property because of the mistreatment of fans by FL personnel.

    I could only imagine how bad things would've been if Marilyn Monroe had been buried in Forest Lawn instead of Westwood Memorial.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 05-23-2008 at 10:54 AM.

  49. #199
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Good ole Superficial So Cal
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Luckily, I am now able to go visit Jean's crypt since I eventually managed to win over the guard at the front gate. I usually go twice a year to take flowers. I am still disgusted with the way FL & the guards treat people coming to pay their respects. I once had the guard tell me that a young girl came with her mother and she did not allow them to go in. I asked her why? Afterall, she's was being supervised by her mother, so what kind of harm would it have done to allow them to pay their respects? She told me because "those are the rules." No rational explanation as to WHY those are the rules. The whole irony here is that this stupid policy is probably causing them to LOSE people who may be interested in buying property because of the mistreatement of fans by FL personnel.

    I could only imagine how bad things would've been if Marilyn Monroe had been buried in Forest Lawn instead of Westwood memorial.
    I still don't understand why FL operates that way, even having worked there for several years. Everything there just seems so kooky the way they do things, with no explanation other than 'that's just how it is...' I even had to dodge phone calls for people trying to secure the location for Eddie Cochran. But that situation had more to do with the family wanting to keep it private than FL. There is a gorgeous old mausoleum at the Long Beach location, and we employees were discouraged from giving our family and friends tours of this beautiful place. Which seems weird because otherwise FL encourages people to come and enjoy their beautiful grounds. Just don't bug the celebs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

    My own, personal, Dexter...

  50. #200
    HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    To any fans who may be interested - The Egyptian in Hollywood will be showing Beast of the City tomorrow, Saturday May 24 at 7:30pm. Walter Huston is actually the star int his early MGM gang drama. This is the film Jean made at MGM early in 1932 before they decided to buy her contract from Howard Hughes. It was actually the film which comvinced critics that she could indeed act despite just playing a common gang moll. She had a really steamy dance sequence in this film which still holds up today. Unfortunately, this film is still not available on DVD. Why Warner home video has not released more of Harlow's films on dvd more than ten years into the formats life is still a mystery and an abomination.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •