Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 500 of 728

Thread: Jean Harlow

  1. #451
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Severely Snapped View Post
    (OT, but...Buttercup, do you remember the part about Toni and Eddie Mannix and George Reeves? It was just a mention, but it was Sam Marx asking about Eddie Mannix and the Reeves "suicide" and Strickland said, ""Well, Eddie did do it, of course." Chilling, chilling stuff.)
    Yep, sure do remember that. Very chilling.

    I had found out when I read the book, that a dermatologist I had seen, had bought Paul Berns house (later Jay Sebrings). Marx talked to him in the book. If the walls could talk in that house!
    Cindy

  2. #452
    Received this e-mail from Harlow's biggest collector (and a friend of mine) Darrell Rooney (He was also writing a Harlow entry for this site which never surfaced?)

    Mark Vieira and I have been writing up a proposal to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for an Exhibition on Jean Harlow for next Spring. I'm looking for artifacts and Harlow objects to include. Do you have any authentic items? Personal or career oriented items? Posters or lobby cards? Let me know.

    I've contacted Darrell and it appears that the academy exhibit will be happening along with the Warner Home Video dvd boxset. Just thought I'd post it here just in case anyone out there has or knows someone who may have something interesting Harlow-related.

  3. #453
    I don't know if Hooray for Hollywood is still around or not, but I just wanted to let her know that the 8x10 negative for the Hurrell bear-rug photo she uses as an avatar was sold last weekend at a Profiles in History auction in Los Angeles for $60,000 - up to three times more than the $20,000 it was expected to bring. There was also a copy of one of a few dozen 36x48 prints struck from the negative by Hurrell in the late 1970's and signed, and this sold for $13,000 - more than twice what it was expected to fetch. I've heard many a fashion guru state that this is one of the greatest glamour photos ever taken. I'd certainly like to know who bought the negative, because if the buyer decides to strike a limited number of prints in a huge size, the negative will easily more than pay for itself.

    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.

  4. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    I don't know if Hooray for Hollywood is still around or not, but I just wanted to let her know that the 8x10 negative for the Hurrell bear-rug photo she uses as an avatar was sold last weekend at a Profiles in History auction in Los Angeles for $60,000 - up to three times more than the $20,000 it was expected to bring. There was also a copy of one of a few dozen 36x48 prints struck from the negative by Hurrell in the late 1970's and signed, and this sold for $13,000 - more than twice what it was expected to fetch. I've heard many a fashion guru state that this is one of the greatest glamour photos ever taken. I'd certainly like to know who bought the negative, because if the buyer decides to strike a limited number of prints in a huge size, the negative will easily more than pay for itself.

    You bet I'm still around and yes, I knew about the auction in Calabasas CA wow, it went for 60K! I was just getting ready to do a search and try to find out who bought it or other details, so if anybody knows, please do let us all know! The Hurrell pic will always be my favorite of Harlow and it is indeed the perfect example of Hurrell's trademark lighting/glamour shots. Thanks so much for updating us on the auction. Shows how coveted this photo is. I sure wish I had some authentic Harlow items! I remember going to the Max Factor museum years ago in Hollywood, kinda cheesy place but it had several of what purported to be one or two of Harlow's wigs that she wore in some of her movies and I loved looking at 'em, whether they were the real thing or not (I hoped so!) I don't know if that collection is still there. Awesome to know about the Academy honoring her with a display and if I hear of anything interesting or someone who has anything, I'll definitely get in touch. As always, great to support anything having to do with our most beautiful girl, Jean Harlow....

  5. #455
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    You bet I'm still around and yes, I knew about the auction in Calabasas CA wow, it went for 60K! I was just getting ready to do a search and try to find out who bought it or other details, so if anybody knows, please do let us all know! The Hurrell pic will always be my favorite of Harlow and it is indeed the perfect example of Hurrell's trademark lighting/glamour shots. Thanks so much for updating us on the auction. Shows how coveted this photo is. I sure wish I had some authentic Harlow items! I remember going to the Max Factor museum years ago in Hollywood, kinda cheesy place but it had several of what purported to be one or two of Harlow's wigs that she wore in some of her movies and I loved looking at 'em, whether they were the real thing or not (I hoped so!) I don't know if that collection is still there. Awesome to know about the Academy honoring her with a display and if I hear of anything interesting or someone who has anything, I'll definitely get in touch. As always, great to support anything having to do with our most beautiful girl, Jean Harlow....
    Good to hear from you! Here's a link to the auction results:
    http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sm...les-in-History

    The 36x48 bear-rug print actually went for $15,600.

    There was talk that if this had been a more robust economic climate, the bear-rug negative would've commanded over $100,000. However, it was still the highest selling single item at the auction & exceeded its $20-30k estimate. As I stated earlier, If the buyer does indeed have the legal right to strike prints from that negative, it will not only pay for itself, but likely prove to be quite profitable. If one print can command $15,000, why not strike 100 (produced by Mark Vieira) for her 2011 centennial in say 40x60 ( which would be the largest size ever produced for this image) for $10,000 each!?

    Now, I just need to find out who the buyer is/was
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.

  6. #456
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Good to hear from you! Here's a link to the auction results:
    http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sm...les-in-History

    The 36x48 bear-rug print actually went for $15,600.

    There was talk that if this had been a more robust economic climate, the bear-rug negative would've commanded over $100,000. However, it was still the highest selling single item at the auction & exceeded its $20-30k estimate. As I stated earlier, If the buyer does indeed have the legal right to strike prints from that negative, it will not only pay for itself, but likely prove to be quite profitable. If one print can command $15,000, why not strike 100 (produced by Mark Vieira) for her 2011 centennial in say 40x60 ( which would be the largest size ever produced for this image) for $10,000 each!?

    Now, I just need to find out who the buyer is/was
    Thanks so much for the link and updates! I agree, if the economy weren't so bad I think it would have gone for 100K, but 60 is still amazing. I figured it would go for more than the predicted 30K but it's great that it went for so much. That would be cool to celebrate her 2011 centennial with the prints. All us Harlow fans need to get ready for that You might never find out who bought it but if you're friends with someone who's working on Harlow material, great! Always helpful to have contact with an insider As we often say, Jean would be amazed by all this, but then, that was what made her so special in our eyes.....thanks again!

  7. #457
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Thanks so much for the link and updates! I agree, if the economy weren't so bad I think it would have gone for 100K, but 60 is still amazing. I figured it would go for more than the predicted 30K but it's great that it went for so much. That would be cool to celebrate her 2011 centennial with the prints. All us Harlow fans need to get ready for that You might never find out who bought it but if you're friends with someone who's working on Harlow material, great! Always helpful to have contact with an insider As we often say, Jean would be amazed by all this, but then, that was what made her so special in our eyes.....thanks again!
    I am offering some first editions for the AMPAS exhibit from my collection. I have first editions of Red Headed Woman (1931), Today is Tonight (1964 - yes, it did exist in hardcover in a VERY limited quantity) and lastly, Jean Harlow Hollywood Comet by Dentner Davies (1937) - which was the first bio written on her, just some 3 months after her death and only published in England. The copy I have commonly sells for $500-$600 when found in the Hurrell dustwrapper. I have all three in excellent condition in the original dustwrappers. Here are two of them (I'll scan Red-Headed Woman later):


    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-05-2010 at 11:34 PM.

  8. #458
    I should state that my book has exactly the same image, except it doesn't have scenes on the rear cover from the 1932 film. The book was published in 1931 (a year before the film was made), and was reissued in 1932 as a "photoplay edition" to coincide with the release of the film (this was quite common in the 30's and 40's). Scenes from the film on the rear cover are absent on the 1st edition, and instead have a listing of other books by Katherine Brush:



    The cover image is bit unsettling, because the woman on the cover DOES in fact look like Jean Harlow, but the first edition was released before Jean was signed to MGM & considered for the Lil Andrews part in RHW! Perhaps the cover artist used Jean's likeness for inspiration?

  9. #459
    wow, those are fabulous things to have! The only thing I have is the scurrilous paperback by Shulman which was purchased by my mother in 1965 when it was first published, and this is the original paperback I've kept all these years, not because the book itself is worthy (Harlow fans know it's a pack of utter lies), but because of sentimental value, my mother being a movie buff. It was bought at a Thrifty Drugstore in what was then the Topanga Plaza Mall (since renamed and enlarged), so it brings back those memories. Anyway, as you can see the book isn't in the best of condition...notice the price .95! Ah for the good old days! It does contain a few pics that aren't seen that often. If it were in mint condition it would be worth a bit more than .95 lol..it's shown as the second Dell printing, 1965. Anyway, just thought I'd share, but your stuff is fabulous, great that you're letting all of us have a sneak peek!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harlowbook.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	27895  

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    352
    I have the book Bombshell by David Stenn. I remember when I ordered it, it kept getting back ordered. Now, on Amazon there are only 2 copies available for $149 each. I always tell my kids not to just give my books away when I die, and they always roll their eyes.

  11. #461
    I also have Platinum Girl and Bombshell...in addition I have the attached "Jean Harlow - Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies" by Curtis F. Brown. published in 1977, which is the year I bought it. wow, maybe I have more Harlow books in my library than I thought lol....I'll have to keep digging around
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harlowbook2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	27896  

  12. #462
    Quote Originally Posted by sherry326 View Post
    I have the book Bombshell by David Stenn. I remember when I ordered it, it kept getting back ordered. Now, on Amazon there are only 2 copies available for $149 each. I always tell my kids not to just give my books away when I die, and they always roll their eyes.
    You should try checking ebay every now and then, because there's no way that Bombshell is worth $150. The sellers are fishing because there probably aren't any copies presently available. Larry Edmunds, a famous bookstore here in Hollywood, will occasionally have a copy in the $35.00 range - which is much better than $150, but still slightly high. I would recommend trying ABEBOOKS.COM, because I'm wiling to bet you'll find a nice copy at a reasonable price. The books I've posted here are expensive because they're considered antiquarian, rare and in superb condition (softcover and later printings of these books are not collectible) to boot. 99% of the books out there are NOT collectible, even if they're old. I collect antiquarian books as a hobby, so you can trust me on this one.

    Good luck on your search.

  13. #463
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    You should try checking ebay every now and then, because there's no way that Bombshell is worth $150. The sellers are fishing because there probably aren't any copies presently available. Larry Edmunds, a famous bookstore here in Hollywood, will occasionally have a copy in the $35.00 range - which is much better than $150, but still slightly high. I would recommend trying ABEBOOKS.COM, because I'm wiling to bet you'll find a nice copy at a reasonable price. The books I've posted here are expensive because they're considered antiquarian, rare and in superb condition (softcover and later printings of these books are not collectible) to boot. 99% of the books out there are NOT collectible, even if they're old. I collect antiquarian books as a hobby, so you can trust me on this one.

    Good luck on your search.
    You're absolutely correct on this. I bought Bombshell and Platinum Girl at online used book places for a few bucks each so they definitely aren't worth $150, if you look around or wait for a bit, you can pick 'em up for cheap. There's so many variables that go into determining rarity or value on a book - it's not just how old it is, it could be 100 yrs old (and I have some that are) and be worth little to nothing depending on condition, demand for the book, subject matter, and other things. The book about Sharon Tate by Greg King I also picked up cheap at a used bookstore online. I hate to see people getting ripped off when you can often acquire these books fairly easily elsewhere. So, good advice, Harlow1, to fans. Your items are most definitely in the rare and highly collectible category. I'm currently trying to buy a copy of the 1937/38 movie magazine that Jean's mother gave an interview to with the title, "Is Harlow Dead? Mother says No!", I've been looking on ebay for that. I've read excerpts from it, fascinating. Anyway, before buying, ALWAYS go to ebay or the many excellent online bookdealers first for the lowest price possible. If condition isn't a big deal, you can get some pretty fantastic prices!!
    I agree, ABEBOOKS is great, I've bought some wonderful things there.

  14. #464
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    You're absolutely correct on this. I bought Bombshell and Platinum Girl at online used book places for a few bucks each so they definitely aren't worth $150, if you look around or wait for a bit, you can pick 'em up for cheap. There's so many variables that go into determining rarity or value on a book - it's not just how old it is, it could be 100 yrs old (and I have some that are) and be worth little to nothing depending on condition, demand for the book, subject matter, and other things. The book about Sharon Tate by Greg King I also picked up cheap at a used bookstore online. I hate to see people getting ripped off when you can often acquire these books fairly easily elsewhere. So, good advice, Harlow1, to fans. Your items are most definitely in the rare and highly collectible category. I'm currently trying to buy a copy of the 1937/38 movie magazine that Jean's mother gave an interview to with the title, "Is Harlow Dead? Mother says No!", I've been looking on ebay for that. I've read excerpts from it, fascinating. Anyway, before buying, ALWAYS go to ebay or the many excellent online bookdealers first for the lowest price possible. If condition isn't a big deal, you can get some pretty fantastic prices!!
    I agree, ABEBOOKS is great, I've bought some wonderful things there.
    Definitely true regarding book collecting.

    A friend of mine attended a book auction last summer and watched the hammer fall at $150,000 for a first edition of The Great Gatsby. Of course, Gatsby is arguably the most famous literary work of the 20th century.

    I'm searching for a first edition of Burnett's Beast of the City, but so far, the only dealer that has a copy is asking $450. I spent $250 for Hollywood Comet because it averages $500-$600, but I have no idea if "Beast" is worth the dealers asking price since no one else presently has a copy in the dustwrapper for sale. The dustwrapper does have a large cool image of platinum Jean on it, but I'm certain another copy or two will probably surface in the year ahead. I've found in this hobby that a little patience can sometimes save a lot of money.

  15. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Definitely true regarding book collecting.

    A friend of mine attended a book auction last summer and watched the hammer fall at $150,000 for a first edition of The Great Gatsby. Of course, Gatsby is arguably the most famous literary work of the 20th century.

    I'm searching for a first edition of Burnett's Beast of the City, but so far, the only dealer that has a copy is asking $450. I spent $250 for Hollywood Comet because it averages $500-$600, but I have no idea if "Beast" is worth the dealers asking price since no one else presently has a copy in the dustwrapper for sale. The dustwrapper does have a large cool image of platinum Jean on it, but I'm certain another copy or two will probably surface in the year ahead. I've found in this hobby that a little patience can sometimes save a lot of money.
    It's very difficult to assess value or know if what you're paying is fair. My mom was an English teacher and has a huge library - I had several dealers look at her things and got different opinions from all of them, it seems quite subjective. I'm by no means an expert, nor is it my hobby, so it's really frustrating and confusing at times to know what the fair value really is. Sometimes I think they just pluck a number out of the air or whatever they think a gullible person will pay. So yes, it "pays" to do your homework and be patient, not jump at the first offer or item. Good luck with your further Harlow acquisitions, you have a wonderful collection which I'm sure will grow. And the key is to buy what we LOVE, that's what makes the hobby special. wow, Jean would be sooooooo flattered and touched...and keeps US in touch with HER.

  16. #466
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    It's very difficult to assess value or know if what you're paying is fair.
    I agree - sometimes it can be. I remember 10 years ago when Mariah Carey spent $662,000 for that Marilyn Monroe piano, and I thought, for what? If I were to pay that much for a piano, it would've had to have belonged to Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, etc; - and even then, it would have to be THE piano where some of their best works were composed. Of course, that Monroe auction happened years before the crash of 2008, so I seriously doubt that Mariah would see a return on her investment in today's market (she should talk to Nicolas Cage, lol). A local Los Angeles book dealer who sits on the board of the ABAA told me yesterday that he's learned that many wealthy people operate on a completely different level than we do. 662k might've been like 66k to her, so she thought nothing of it. Personally, I'm usually very careful when it comes to buying items that belonged to someone famous. Last week, I was planning to buy a first edition of Night of the Hunter which belonged to director Sam Fuller from a local LA bookseller (an ABAA member at that). The problem was that there was no ownership inscription or bookplate which connected the book to Fuller. I've bought from this dealer before and trust them, but I couldn't bring myself to pay for something which displayed no obvious ties to Fuller.

    Long story short, I decided to pass on it.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-11-2010 at 10:53 AM.

  17. #467
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    546

    Fantastic

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wevhv4ox809jo48v.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	26304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wevgtxgj9lb3w3v9.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	26305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wevg3o9r4ljeewgl.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	26306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wevez80mmkcyck0.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	26307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weve9itek7hcet7e.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	26308
    I haven't seen that many pictures of Jean in color. These are fantastic! She was one of a kind!

    slightly ot, I am checking out the dresses and lingerie she is wearing in some of these pics. Because of pics like this of old hollywood stars, I like to collect vintage lingerie. I have some that are the slick satin, and boy, every lump and bump shows up in this fabric! You can't see a lump or bump anywhere on her! You have to have an amazing body to wear stuff like this!!! and she had it in spades!!!!

  18. #468
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,470
    sometimes I'm glad she didn't live in this plastic surgery society, they would have ruined her beautiful face today, I can see where she would have been talked into a nose job, etc.

    Member since 10/10/07

  19. #469
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    573
    At certain angles she is quite pretty but when she is face on and with those eyebrows I can't quite see it

  20. #470
    Darrell Rooney, who was writing the Harlow entry for this site, did win a small signed photo of Jean with her pet pomeranian Oscar at the Profiles in History auction. It's signed from Jean and Oscar to "Wayne."

    It set him back $1600.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 04-18-2010 at 11:43 AM.

  21. #471
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Off on the tragical misery tour......
    Posts
    369
    I haven't been on this board for an age(that's what having a surprise baby does for you, I guess, lol), but this thread has sucked me right back in. I've ended up looking for sites about Jean, and although I'm sure the diehard Harlow fans know of them, I'll share the links.

    http://www.jeanharlow.com/index.php

    http://www.bombshells.com/gallery/harlow/

  22. #472
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Darrell Rooney, who was writing the Harlow entry for this site, did win a small signed photo of Jean with her pet pomeranian Oscar at the Profiles in History auction. It's signed from Jean and Oscar to "Wayne."

    It set him back $1600.
    It's totally worth it! and to get a legit Harlow signature, something not signed by her mother, is pretty rare from what I've heard. How sweet that it's of her and Oscar....

  23. #473
    JH with Nosey her Dachshund puppy.



    I've heard two conflicting stories about Nosey:

    1 - Nosey was given to her by producer Walter Wanger as a gift.
    2 - Nosey was William Powell's dog, as I've actually seen photos of him alone with Nosey.

    Whatever the backstory may be, Nosey was on the set of Wife vs. Secretary with Jean and would howl whenever he was removed from her arms so she could do a scene. Animals seemed to have such an attraction to her.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 05-08-2010 at 02:26 PM.

  24. #474
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I also have Platinum Girl and Bombshell...in addition I have the attached "Jean Harlow - Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies" by Curtis F. Brown. published in 1977, which is the year I bought it. wow, maybe I have more Harlow books in my library than I thought lol....I'll have to keep digging around
    I just purchased the Curtis Brown Pyramid papaerback off Ebay for $1.00! Heck, the shipping was $4.00.

    I look forward to reading this.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 05-08-2010 at 02:25 PM.

  25. #475
    Just came across some photos I've never seen:



  26. #476
    Thanks so much for posting these great photos, I've never seen those before! Wow, what is that contraption? A tanning bed circa 1930's? LOL or maybe some type of ultraviolet ray thing? Her skin was so sensitive I wonder what's going on in that pic? fascinating! It's amazing how often she was photographed, there's always something new lurking out there! Great backstory on Nosey too! It's so sweet how she was with animals, maybe because she was very vulnerable and felt understood by the four-legged more than the two legged of the world.....
    Last edited by hoorayforhollywood; 05-09-2010 at 03:20 PM.

  27. #477
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    I just purchased the Curtis Brown Pyramid papaerback off Ebay for $1.00! Heck, the shipping was $4.00.

    I look forward to reading this.
    Good deal! There might be a few pics in there you haven't seen. As a collector, always nice to have everything Harlow-related that's available, and ebay's the place to do it

  28. #478
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Thanks so much for posting these great photos, I've never seen those before! Wow, what is that contraption? A tanning bed circa 1930's? LOL or maybe some type of ultraviolet ray thing? Her skin was so sensitive I wonder what's going on in that pic? fascinating! It's amazing how often she was photographed, there's always something new lurking out there! Great backstory on Nosey too! It's so sweet how she was with animals, maybe because she was very vulnerable and felt understood by the four-legged more than the two legged of the world.....
    I'm curious what that contraption is as well (my guess is that it's a tanner of some sort?). We all know that sun ruined her skin, so maybe this was some sort of compromise. Perhaps KELT or someone familair with these type of things can chime in. It's very clear in that pic how beautiful and blemish free her skin is. Mae Clarke said in her oral biography that Jean was '"so pretty and clean, almost as if she were carved from a slab of marble." She said she couldn't stop staring at her.

  29. #479
    Last Sunday afternoon, I attended a screening at the Egyptian Cinematheque here in Los Angeles where I live.

    Mark Vieira was giving a lecture & slide-show on Von Sternberg before the screening of Blond Venus. He would also be signing his new book of Marlene Dietrich glamour portraits which he had to self-publish. I spoke with him about his long rumored Harlow photo tribute, and it is indeed coming. Unfortunately, Marks publisher Abrams rejected the book as did Running Press. These publishers have sited poor sales of previous cinema bios and the poor economic climate. Mark did admit that his amazing Garbo centennial book (that he labored on for 20 years) which Abrams published in 2005 didn't sell that well. I also discovered that Peter Cowie's book on Louise Brooks also sold poorly. The performance of these bios have given publishers cold feet, so Mark and his co-writer, Darrell Rooney, have started a Facebook petiton to get 5,000 signatures.

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=112797408763424&ref=mf

    If there are film fans who have seen Mark's previous books, they should know that a Harlow book from him would be out of this world. Regardless, if you're a fan of Harlow or not, I please urge film fans to sign the petition, because we do need more diversity when it come to film bios. Right now, publisher's will only take chances on icons like Marilyn, Audrey, Elvis and James Dean, but the market is already oversaturated with books on these over-exploited icons. A photo book of this type has NEVER been published on Harlow, despite the fact that her photos commonly bring more money than nearly all of her contemporaries at photo auctions, and her image/style has been copied by many of today's film and music personalities. I believe that the general public is familiar with the Jean Harlow image, though they may've never seen any of her films or read any of the bios published on her in the 1990's. We fans are trying to turn this around.

    Please help.

  30. #480
    This is fantastic, you certainly have my support! It's a pity that other books haven't sold well, but I do think in the case of Harlow, she IS relevant to younger generations in a way that publishers don't realize. Yes, they have to make a profit , but maybe if enough people voice their support, it can happen. As the first "sex goddess", that alone should justify a tribute photo book for her. Please do keep us updated on this. I hope it will happen!

  31. #481
    Update: I haven't heard from Darrell, so I don't know if he and Mark have publishers or not.

    Well, there's certainly a dearth of Harlow fans around FAD these days. Two years ago, this thread had a lot more activity.

    If anyone's still interested in seeing a real picture bio on Harlow for HER centennial next year, please go to the link in my last post above and make it known!

  32. #482
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    1,572
    Hey guys, I havent been on the site for sooooo long! But im a Harlow fan! Bought a fantastic tshirt with her face on it on ebay from america last year! Loving your posts xx

  33. #483
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Thanks so much for posting these great photos, I've never seen those before! Wow, what is that contraption? A tanning bed circa 1930's? LOL or maybe some type of ultraviolet ray thing? Her skin was so sensitive I wonder what's going on in that pic? fascinating.....
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    I'm curious what that contraption is as well (my guess is that it's a tanner of some sort?). We all know that sun ruined her skin, so maybe this was some sort of compromise. Perhaps KELT or someone familair with these type of things can chime in. It's very clear in that pic how beautiful and blemish free her skin is. Mae Clarke said in her oral biography that Jean was '"so pretty and clean, almost as if she were carved from a slab of marble." She said she couldn't stop staring at her.
    That may be a sort of primitive tanning bed (a pic of 1930s starlet Patricia Ellis in a contraption of a very different style can be seen here), but I'd almost be willing to bet it's a sort of UV therapy cabinet. UV therapy was used in those days for several reasons, from various ailments to the supposed "pick-me-up" effect...in the film "Splendour in the Grass", Warren Beatty's character is given a sort of UV therapy at one point after his collapse at the basketball game.

  34. #484
    I agree, I also think it's a UV therapy bed of some sort.....ultraviolet was a popular fad back in those days, and maybe with Jean's history of somewhat fragile health where she had fainting episodes and other issues, maybe she got in on the UV craze....or was paid to promote it in some way. Fascinating.... many thanks to harlow1 for this unusual photo which I had never seen elsewhere. As always, the fans are great here!

  35. #485
    From Darrell Rooney:

    Hi Everyone, I wanted to let you know that over the summer Mark Vieira and I sold a Harlow book idea to a publisher in Los Angeles. The book is slightly different than the book we've been pitching and will focus on her daily life in L.A. where she lived, worked and played. Tons of behind the scenes photos and one of a kind items. The book is called 'Jean Harlow's Hollywood: The Platinum Blonde in the Glamour Capital." I think you are all going to love it when it comes out in March. Many thanks for your faith and support. Best- Darrell

    Darrell told me that it's not quite the dream book that he and Mark envisioned, but they haven't given up on it. Given the circumstances, they are quite happy with this book, and that Mar 2011 can't get here fast enough.

  36. #486
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,861
    That makes me happy for I am a Harlow fan.
    Scott Michaels knows more about death than Dexter.

  37. #487
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,643
    That's great news!

  38. #488
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,266
    this sounds awesome!

  39. #489
    This is wonderful news! Even though it may not be the book they envisioned, that's often the trade off to get the project launched, so I'm sure all Harlow fans will be thrilled to honor our Jean in March 2011. Congrats on getting it done!

  40. #490
    Today I did a google search on Harlow for latest news or anything of interest and found someone named Kendra Harlow who apparently is a distant relative of Jean Harlow. Kind of interesting, it was a marriage announcement and she's worked in the film industry but apparently is going to be a nurse now....I also found her on myspace: myspace.com/kendraharlow....always fun to see the relatives, no matter how distant, of Hollywood icons. While I don't think she can hold a candle to Jean's looks by any means, she somewhat has the Harlow nose and a nice smile. Just thought I'd share this tidbit of trivia ....

  41. #491
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Today I did a google search on Harlow for latest news or anything of interest and found someone named Kendra Harlow who apparently is a distant relative of Jean Harlow. Kind of interesting, it was a marriage announcement and she's worked in the film industry but apparently is going to be a nurse now....I also found her on myspace: myspace.com/kendraharlow....always fun to see the relatives, no matter how distant, of Hollywood icons. While I don't think she can hold a candle to Jean's looks by any means, she somewhat has the Harlow nose and a nice smile. Just thought I'd share this tidbit of trivia ....
    Did she give specifics on how distant her relation is? There are many people out there with the Harlow name, so I'm a little skeptical. Naturally, the Harlow name rests on the mother's side of the family. We already know the Carpenter side of the family through Sharon & Briony Barnes, but this is the first I've heard of an actual Harlow relation.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 09-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.

  42. #492
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Did she give specifics on how distant her relation is? There are many people out there with the Harlow name, so I'm a little skeptical. Naturally, the Narlow name rests on the mother's side of the family. We already know the Carpenter side of the family through Sharon & Briony Barnes, but this is the first I've heard of an actual Harlow relation.
    This is from the article that appeared in the LA Times

    "The bride said she is distantly related to Jean Harlow, the 1930s actress. Jean Harlow was the niece of Kendra Harlow‚??s great-grandfather, according to the bride. The star was born Harlean Harlow Carpenter and took her mother‚??s maiden name of Harlow as her stage name."

    You can do a search on Kendra Harlow and it will pull up the article. Would love to know if it's legit....it's a fairly detailed article and sounded like the real thing...I'll leave it to you to find out more!

  43. #493
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    146
    Is there a last picture taken while alive of Jean? $25K for a was a lot to pay for a burial spot in the 1930s.
    What gives with William Powell? He seems like a real nerd to me.
    I believe she was a heavy drinker, wouldn't this make her kidney problems worse.
    How promiscuous was she?
    I think Carrrol Baker is/was prettier.
    Even if they has made her diagnosis(sp) earlier, there was know cure for her. At 26, she was terminal.
    What family would be left to visit her grave? She was an only child and didn't have any children.
    Last edited by mxwe; 10-07-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: correction

  44. #494
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Heartland
    Posts
    84
    From the archives, Kansas City Star, KCMO:

    Jean Harlow is Home
    White Hair Amazes the Spectators at Train
    Originally published in The Kansas City Star, Nov. 20, 1930

    When "Hell's Angels" came to Kansas City, Jean Harlow arrived with it, appearing for two days in November 1930 at the Midland Theater on Main Street. The advertisement was published in The Kansas City Star on Nov. 20, 1930.
    More News
    Freedom and its many sacrifices saluted at monument's rebirth Jean Harlow, who is twice as good looking as you expect her to be, which is about four times as good looking as any girl has a right to be, arrived in Kansas City today and everybody at the union station and the Hotel Muehlebach took one look at her platinum-blond hair and said, “There ain’t no such animal!”

    The Kansas City girl, here to make personal appearances tomorrow and Saturday at the Midland theater in connection with the showing of her first starring picture, “Hell’s Angels,” obligingly took her hair down in her hotel room and let visitors study it for evidences of hair dye, wig or transformation.

    In the dazzled state of standing before the actress, the bewildered visitors probably wouldn’t have been able to recognize even the most obvious “false front” if they had seen it, but the act was fun to go through, anyway.

    Miss Harlow was accompanied here by her mother, who always travels with her, and was met here by her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. S. D. Harlow, 2304 North Twelfth street, Kansas City, Kansas. She greeted them with the enthusiastic embrace of a schoolgirl rather than the cool and languid nod with which most movie actresses welcome both in-laws and out-laws.

    It has been along time since Jean Harlow lived in Kansas City, although she is only 19 years old now, “and I’m going to carry a photostatic picture of my birth record to prove it,” she says.

    She was born at 3344 Olive street, then moved to an address on Robert Gillham road when she was a child, then lived with her parents in a large home at Seventy-ninth street and Tracy avenue. Her first to sixth grades of schooling she got at the Barstow school, and her big thrills consisted of going down to the old Jack o’ Lantern at Fortieth and Main streets for chocolate sodas, which she did as an every-noon routine.

    She went to the Hollywood School for Girls a while, then returned to Kansas City and attended Miss Bigelow’s. Then back to California and this movie job, which finds her a star at 19.

    “I got it on a break,” she confessed today, “but I’m awfully happy about it all. Howard Hughes had made ‘Hell’s Angels’ as a silent picture – had put 3 million dollars in it – and then had to change it to a talkie.

    “Greta Nissen, who had the feminine lead in the silent version, was Swedish and spoke with an accent that never could be twisted into the conversation of an American girl who goes to Europe as a field worker in the war.

    “I met Jim Hall and Ben Lyon, the masculine leads of the picture, on the lot one day and they said they wanted to introduce me to Mr. Hughes, thinking I was the type of girl he wanted to refilm the Nissen takes. I proved to be, and that was that. It took eight weeks to complete my part of the film. The next picture I’m in, on which I have to start work in Hollywood for Metro-Goldwin Mayer Monday, is “The Secret Six,” a sequel to “The Big House.”

    Miss Harlow has that greatest and most admirable of traits that you like to find, and so seldom do, in either movie or stage actresses, an absolute lack of ostentation or a high-hat air.

    Her handshake is the firm, friendly one of a boy, her laugh infectious and not forced. She knows when a joke is on herself, as consider the moment today when she stepped to a hotel telephone and tried to order some cigarettes from downstairs for her guests.

    “This is Miss Harlow speaking,’ she said. “Will you please send ---“

    “Who?” came the answer over the wire.

    “Miss Harlow, H-a-r-l-o-w. Will you please send a package of –“

    “We have no Miss Harlow registered here.”

    “No?” from the star in surprise. “Well, anyway, this is Miss Harlow, just the same. Will you please send a half dozen packages of cigarettes up to room 837?”

    “All right Miss Morrison.”

    And the Kansas City girl loved it.

    That’s one of the reasons that the average person who meets Jean Harlow falls. It’s a cinch that Midland audiences will tomorrow and Saturday. She has what it takes – the art of being a good fellow. And that has to be born in you, not cultivated.

    Miss Harlow will be interviewed over WDAF at 6:45 o’clock tonight, incidentally.

    “I hope my friends will listen in,” she says. “I want to tell them ‘Hello.’”

  45. #495
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Heartland
    Posts
    84
    I also have a picture of the house she lived in at 79th and Tracy in KCMO, but I can't figure out how to post it to the message board.

  46. #496
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    516

    Unhappy Jean Harlow

    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Are you sure this is the exact dress? I thought it was the one from the scene where she was being examined by the doctor, and she was reclining on the chaise lounge. The dress is described as having been pale pink with hand painted yellow and blue flowers, birds, etc. The above is a lovely dress but I don't think it's her burial dress. (I think someone posted a pic of the scene from Saratoga I'm describing on the board somewhere.) It also appeared to have somewhat puffed sleeves, rather than sleeveless as this one is. That also makes more sense to me, as they might have wanted more coverage of her body, a bit more attractive since she was so ill.
    I think in this picture you can also tell she is a little more bloated in the face than earlier pictures. So sad I wonder if she new what she was ill from when making the picture? and that it would be fatal. My mother in law suffered from failed kidneys and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Last edited by Starstruck; 10-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.

  47. #497
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,257
    She was beautiful, but she was one of them people that can look awesome in one pic and not so hot in another. There were many faces of Mrs. Harlow.

    Oh how I WISH we could see a burial picture of her...
    My Posse's On Broadway

  48. #498
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    She was beautiful, but she was one of them people that can look awesome in one pic and not so hot in another. There were many faces of Mrs. Harlow.

    Oh how I WISH we could see a burial picture of her...
    The only thing anyones ever seen were photos of celebrity guests arriving at the funeral. I've seen pictures of the flowers outside of the Wee-Kirk Chapel and fans on the lawn collecting flowers after the funeral, and even an aerial shot of the cemetary. MGM security was very tight, so much so that the Pierce Brothers Mortuary where her body was held was protected by armed guards with rifles who restricted access to just about everyone. They did a fine job, because in the 73 years since her death, not a single post-mortem pic has ever surfaced. I recall reading that the coffin was silver with a brass namplate which had a facsimile of her autograph along with her day of birth and death. Jean's secretary, Barbara Brown, said she looked as if she were sleeping - so the mortuary must've done a good job on the body, considering her illness/death had destroyed her beautiful features. Her death certificate also stated there was no autopsy.

  49. #499
    Yeah, I think we're out of luck as far as ever seeing a post mortem pick of Harlow. I also read that she was buried wearing a wig, since apparently they'd shaved all or some of her hair with the idea of drilling a hole in her skull to release fluid on the brain but that was given up as a hopeless plan in the end. I guess they figured an autopsy was either too gruesome or too "iffy" from a possible scandal standpoint. And back then, they wouldn't have really known or understood much from it anyway.

    It's amazing what a good mortician/embalmer can accomplish so I'm sure she looked beautiful, even with the 10+ days of terrible illness. Just would love to see an actual photo. That's the one I really wish I could see!! I bet there's a pic lurking in an attic somewhere! Although 73 years is a long time for nothing to surface. But who knows? That painting Paul Bern had commissioned finally surfaced so maybe a relative of one of those rifle-toting FL guards has a pic hidden away. But I doubt it , the security was super tight. Last summer I stopped by FL and of course went to the Wee Kirk and walked down that same cobblestone path that we see in photos showing a grieving Clark Cable, Carole Lombard, and of course William Powell and Mother Jean. Surreal to walk there and try to visualize how it all was back then. What always amazes me is how relatively small it is, that path, and yet how BIG the grief was for our Jean, what huge stars walked there with heads bowed on such a sad occasion. Certainly a weird journey down the pathways of memory....

  50. #500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Yeah, I think we're out of luck as far as ever seeing a post mortem pick of Harlow. I also read that she was buried wearing a wig, since apparently they'd shaved all or some of her hair with the idea of drilling a hole in her skull to release fluid on the brain but that was given up as a hopeless plan in the end. I guess they figured an autopsy was either too gruesome or too "iffy" from a possible scandal standpoint. And back then, they wouldn't have really known or understood much from it anyway.

    It's amazing what a good mortician/embalmer can accomplish so I'm sure she looked beautiful, even with the 10+ days of terrible illness. Just would love to see an actual photo. That's the one I really wish I could see!! I bet there's a pic lurking in an attic somewhere! Although 73 years is a long time for nothing to surface. But who knows? That painting Paul Bern had commissioned finally surfaced so maybe a relative of one of those rifle-toting FL guards has a pic hidden away. But I doubt it , the security was super tight. Last summer I stopped by FL and of course went to the Wee Kirk and walked down that same cobblestone path that we see in photos showing a grieving Clark Cable, Carole Lombard, and of course William Powell and Mother Jean. Surreal to walk there and try to visualize how it all was back then. What always amazes me is how relatively small it is, that path, and yet how BIG the grief was for our Jean, what huge stars walked there with heads bowed on such a sad occasion. Certainly a weird journey down the pathways of memory....
    Hello Hooray!

    I don't think an autopsy was ordered because she didn't really die under mysterious or unknown circumstances, and there was obviously no foul play involved - She died in the hospital under doctors care. It's also interesting that many of the stars who attended her funeral, are now themselves buried in that cemetary alongside her. I should also clarify that the security guards were hired by MGM, not Forest Lawn. During the actual funeral, the national guard and local Glendale police force were also involved in security preparation (no doubt to hold back grieving fans who wanted to get in). I remember reading that MGM strong man Eddie Mannix was in charge of security.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •