Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Jean Harlow

Lisamarie Guest
    Have any of you guys seen Saratoga yet and the coughing fit scene?? Its very errie to watch....and through out the film she has a cold so she acts sick...but the coughing fit you clearly hear clark gable call her Jean....

Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    You're probably right, and it had occurred to me that perhaps the t.v. station had used a still from the Carrol Baker film......but I've seen that movie and the bed wasn't in the position that the bed was in for this photo. In the photo I saw, it was a straight ahead shot as if someone were standing at the foot of the bed and it was farther away, like a long shot, whereas in the Harlow movie with Baker, I don't think the bed was positioned like that, more of a closer shot and a side view. Anyway, it was probably some type of stock photo, and not the real thing, because I agree, it is hard to imagine anyone getting a photo of her in those last days. Then again, it can be hard to control a quick photo snapped off before anyone could stop it. Yet another mystery........
    For what's it's worth, I believe you saw something..perhaps odd. I don't know. I do know that I saw something on the VHS tape of The Crow that no one else I have asked have seen.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

BooMom Guest
    loove THIS PIC !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jean_harlow_1203.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	3856  

BooMom Guest
    And These ...

Name:	jean_harlow_mary_carlisle_glenda_fe.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	3857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	libeled_lady_1300.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	3858  

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest

Jean with "Oscar" the Pomeranian. Sadly, Oscar stopped eating after Jean died.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest

Jean with "Bleak", her pet great dane.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest

One of my favorite pictures of her being very casual with little makeup. You can tell from this photo how truly young she was. It's interesting when you contrast this image with the worldly/glamorous siren she often played in her films.

lisalouver Guest
    If I missed it, I apologize, but what caused Jeans renal failure?

Deat becomesher Guest
    Thank you for the wonderful tribute to Harlow. I too love her, learned alot of things about her that I did not know.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    If I missed it, I apologize, but what caused Jeans renal failure?
    A bout of Scarlett fever she contracted as a child but went unchecked for years in her system (In part because one of her doctor's misdiagnosed her).

now those were wonderful times, the thirties! art deco! white, silver, and diamonds! no marilyn! lmaooooo jean was very cool. love those pencil thin eyebrows...urine breath? oh man
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 02-23-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    pull the string!

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    "urine breath" is sadly a side effect of kidney failure. Your body has to find a way to extract that waste after a Kidney shutdown and would do it through the breath and pores/sweat glands. Maureen O'Sullivan rode with Jean to the studio the day she collapsed on the Saratoga set, and said that she had been prespiring heavily and that her clothes were drenched.

Kidney failure was not a pretty thing back then.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    A bout of Scarlett fever she contracted as a child but went unchecked for years in her system (In part because one of her doctor's misdiagnosed her).
    Thank you!

motherogod Guest
    I just pored through all posts for the first time tonight. Thanks, everyone for all the information. She certainly was amazing, but only 26? Tragic. I absolutely love the photo in post #111.

One of my favorite pictures of her being very casual with little makeup. You can tell from this photo how truly young she was. It's interesting when you contrast this image with the worldly/glamorous siren she often played in her films.
    She's got on plenty pal !
    I think that the only illusion to 'little ' is that her lip color was muted for once, and that her hair looks like she did it herself.
    It's apparent that there was eyebrow pencil, a beauty mark, heavy amount of mascara, lip color, and by the look of her skintone, it would appear that she had on foundation.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I think that the only illusion to 'little ' is that her lip color was muted for once, and that her hair looks like she did it herself.
    It's apparent that there was eyebrow pencil, a beauty mark, heavy amount of mascara, lip color, and by the look of her skintone, it would appear that she had on foundation.
    I must say that it always bothers me when women shave off their eyebrows and pencil them in.

I did'nt notice it on Jean until this close up picture. Pam Anderson does it these days, as well as a number of others.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I must say that it always bothers me when women shave off their eyebrows and pencil them in.

I did'nt notice it on Jean until this close up picture. Pam Anderson does it these days, as well as a number of others.
    When CARROLL BAKER was doing the (1 of 2) film biography on HARLOW that was released in 1965, the make-up people covered up her eyebrows and pencilled them in like the actual HARLOW had done. The producer (JOSEPH E. LEVINE) balked that it 'took away' from BAKER' sex appeal and made her look cheap, so they left them in a more natural state, and also ditched the dark scarlet lip rouge that had been prevalent in the 30s. The end result however was that BAKER looked more like 1965 than 1935.

BAKER with the pencilled on brows.
    This look came closer to the real thing !

This was the final way that
    BAKER appeared in the lead of
    HARLOW (1965).
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

lisalouver Guest
    When CARROLL BAKER was doing the (1 of 2) film biography on HARLOW that was released in 1965, the make-up people covered up her eyebrows and pencilled them in like the actual HARLOW had done. The producer (JOSEPH E. LEVINE) balked that it 'took away' from BAKER' sex appeal and made her look cheap, so they left them in a more natural state, and also ditched the dark scarlet lip rouge that had been prevalent in the 30s. The end result however was that BAKER looked more like 1965 than 1935.

BAKER with the pencilled on brows.
    This look came closer to the real thing !

This was the final way that
    BAKER appeared in the lead of

HARLOW (1965).
    Great pics and info, as usal Kelt!!! Thank you.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    I still like the picture. She still looks much different here than in many of her other glamorous images.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 02-23-2008 at 11:21 PM.

ThatScaryChick Guest
    Here are some pictures of Jean that I really love:

Name:	716-925.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	3944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_0928.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	3945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_0924.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	3946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_0900.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	3947  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_0902.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	3948  

ThatScaryChick Guest
    Here are some more:

Name:	0716_0905.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	3949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_1160.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	3950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_1156.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	3951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	716-1153.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	3952  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0716_1162.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	3953  

Lisamarie Guest
    She is stunning....its a shame she died so young...but just like marilyn it feeds the ledgend...and makes her forever!

leevancleef Guest
    Stunning set of pictures, TSC.Thanks for posting.

Danny62 Guest
    THanks for sharing the pics...man she was gorgeous!!!

ThatScaryChick Guest
    You're all very welcome. I agree, she was stunning.

halogirl5 Guest
    I don't think she was very pretty at all, especially those eyebrows. Too fake looking. However it sounds like an awful way to die, and I drooled when I saw the mausoleum. Just love that stained glass window. want one. One day, of course.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by halogirl5 View Post
    I don't think she was very pretty at all, especially those eyebrows. Too fake looking. However it sounds like an awful way to die, and I drooled when I saw the mausoleum. Just love that stained glass window. want one. One day, of course.
    You sound like my wife! I go on about how gorgeous she is and my wife is like "Dude she was weird looking."

Oh she was drop dead gorgeous in my eyes...and yes she dropped dead!!

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Harlow was regarded as one of the great beauties and actresses of her era. She was NOT conventional looking, which is what I find so appealing. The lucky few who had the opportunity to see her in the flesh claim that no camera could ever fully capture her beauty. I know John Gilberts daughter said on TCM that Jean Harlow was the ONLY star who looked more beautiful off camera than on, and that the black & white photography was incapable of capturing the luminosity of her skin. Harlow has already been judged and evaluated by her peers, cinema historians as well as the masses over the decades. Anyone can have an opinion, but the facts are there:

Harlow rules.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 02-29-2008 at 09:47 PM.

oh fun naked ladies .... j/k yes jean was before her time!
    pull the string!

Danny62 Guest
    Harlow was regarded as one of the great beauties and actresses of her era. She was NOT conventional looking, which is what I find so appealing. The lucky few who had the opportunity to see her in the flesh claim that no camera could ever fully capture her beauty. I know John Gilberts daughter said on TCM that Jean Harlow was the ONLY star who looked more beautiful off camera than on, and that the black & white photography was incapable of capturing the luminosity of her skin. Harlow has already been judged and evaluated by her peers, cinema historians as well as the masses over the decades. Anyone can have an opinion, but the facts are there:

Harlow rules.
    Good points!!! She was an original!!! I think she was way prettier than Marilyn Monroe...I think I did a poll once about these two?

Didn't Marilyn Idolize Jean? I mean she just had an appeal that NO actress of today can touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Layla331 Guest
    i have to agree..i think shes pretty but not beautiful..i never did understand the shaved off drawn in eyebrows..even today it gives me the creeps

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla331 View Post
    i have to agree..i think shes pretty but not beautiful..i never did understand the shaved off drawn in eyebrows..even today it gives me the creeps
    This was the style adopted by many actreses of this era, not just Jean. Dietrich, Garbo, Crawford & many other actresses also had pencilled in eyebrows. As the 1940's dawned, natural brows once again became the norm. As a footnote; did you know that Lana Turner didn't have any eyebrows? I believe they were shaved off for a movie role and the person who did the shaving plucked the roots out so they never grew back! Sadly, many ladies from this era lost their natural brows forever by trying to imitate their favorite stars. The key was not to pluck the roots so you'd have the option of growing them back.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Good points!!! She was an original!!! I think she was way prettier than Marilyn Monroe...I think I did a poll once about these two?

Didn't Marilyn Idolize Jean? I mean she just had an appeal that NO actress of today can touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Correct. Marilyn did idolize Jean.

I think MM was probably more conventionally beautiful than Harlow was, but as I stated earlier, I would not necessarily view this as a weakness. Jean is a pretty unique looking girl and I see very few women around who facially resemble her (though Jennifer Jason Leigh comes very close - right down to chin cleft).

I remember your poll a few months back, but the problem is that WAY more people are more familair with Marilyn than Jean, so such a poll could never be conducted on equal grounds. There are probably many people around here who've never seen a Harlow film, so it's hard to support someone in a poll whose films you've never seen.

leevancleef Guest
    This was the style adopted by many actreses of this era, not just Jean. Dietrich, Garbo, Crawford & many other actresses .
    So right, and dont forget C. COLBERT!!

leevancleef Guest
    Correct. Marilyn did idolize Jean.

I think MM was probably more conventionally beautiful than Harlow was, but as I stated earlier, I would not necessarily view this as a weakness. Jean is a pretty unique looking girl and I see very few women around who facially resemble her (though Jennifer Jason Leigh comes very close - right down to chin cleft).

I remember your poll a few months back, but the problem is that WAY more people are more familair with Marilyn than Jean, so such a poll could never be conducted on equal grounds. There are probably many people around here who've never seen a Harlow film, so it's hard to support someone in a poll whose films you've never seen.
    I LOVE both Marilyn and Jean... Marilyn was more beautiful in my opinion, but Jean was exceptionally attractive.

Well, as the person who started this thread on Harlow originally, I feel compelled to stand up for my gal, Jean, in the looks department. True, by today's standards, her make-up (eyebrows specifically), look rather strange, but I don't find them terrible or detracting from her innate beauty at all. I had a young friend who watched a Harlow film with me recently and made the same kind of comments, such as "What's the big deal about her?" and "She's very average looking", and on and on. I must say, I was taken aback. Jean Harlow was not average looking, and all I can think is that my friend was comparing her to today's version of beauty. What's beautiful changes with the era and I can assure you, the "hotties" like Paris Hilton (who I think looks like a horse) and others of her ilk are going to be laughed at 30 years down the road, so it's all relative. In any event, when world famous photographers have gone on record as saying Harlow was one of the most facially beautiful women they'd ever photographed, I won't argue with that. These are people who know beauty and they all seemed to reach the same conclusion. If today's audiences can't see it, it's simply due to changing tastes and trends in make-up, hairstyle, and physique. Yes, by today's standards, she's not Pam Anderson in the "boob" department, either. But for Harlow's era, she was considered a hot, stacked chick. As far as I'm concerned, the "eyes" have it - she has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen (maybe Sharon Tate is a close second), but just for limpid, lovely, and somewhat haunted eyes, Jean Harlow can't be touched.
    The incredible still photos of her say it all - she had that certain something that transcends a particular set of cheekbones, or teeth or eyes. She had "it".

Layla331 Guest
    well i think its wonderful that you think so highly of her and her beauty...and i dont disagree i think shes pretty...but beauty is defiently on personal preference basis..and what some find gorgeous others maybe dont..just part of life..i remember going on how i think Gable is so handsome and my friend thinks im nuts with his "big ears and joker smile " lol..but i just accept were attracted to different types..sometimes we have to agree to disagree

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    Well, as the person who started this thread on Harlow originally, I feel compelled to stand up for my gal, Jean, in the looks department. True, by today's standards, her make-up (eyebrows specifically), look rather strange, but I don't find them terrible or detracting from her innate beauty at all. I had a young friend who watched a Harlow film with me recently and made the same kind of comments, such as "What's the big deal about her?" and "She's very average looking", and on and on. I must say, I was taken aback. Jean Harlow was not average looking, and all I can think is that my friend was comparing her to today's version of beauty. What's beautiful changes with the era and I can assure you, the "hotties" like Paris Hilton (who I think looks like a horse) and others of her ilk are going to be laughed at 30 years down the road, so it's all relative. In any event, when world famous photographers have gone on record as saying Harlow was one of the most facially beautiful women they'd ever photographed, I won't argue with that. These are people who know beauty and they all seemed to reach the same conclusion. If today's audiences can't see it, it's simply due to changing tastes and trends in make-up, hairstyle, and physique. Yes, by today's standards, she's not Pam Anderson in the "boob" department, either. But for Harlow's era, she was considered a hot, stacked chick. As far as I'm concerned, the "eyes" have it - she has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen (maybe Sharon Tate is a close second), but just for limpid, lovely, and somewhat haunted eyes, Jean Harlow can't be touched.
    The incredible still photos of her say it all - she had that certain something that transcends a particular set of cheekbones, or teeth or eyes. She had "it".
    Excellect reply.

No, Jean certainly wasn't average looking.

Glamour photographer George Hurrell stated that there were others he shot who had more 'refined' features than Jean. For example, he mentioned that someone like Hedy Lamarr was beautiful from any angle, but Harlow's deep set eyes, high forehead, platinum hair and chin cleft made it difficult to shoot her. None of this wasn't because she wasn't beautiful, but that her features were unconventional---I think this is where some of the "she's not beautiful" confusion may lie. Jean simply didn't look like any other conventionally beautiful woman of ANY era. Too me, it almost look as if her face belongs on a Greek coin or something.

MGM photographer C.S. Bull said that he invented a special bulb just to shoot Jeans platinum hair! He always claimed that Harlow & Garbo were his two favorite subjects and found their beauty amazing. However, one area Jean did NOT falter was in the body department. She had incredible measurements (especially by todays standards) for someone who only stood 5'2". Both Bull & Hurrell stated that she was without peer in this area, and that both her skin & figure were flawless. It was only after she became ill that Hurrell began touching her up.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 03-01-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Layla331 Guest

Thumbs up

"uncoventional beauty" now that i agree with..well said...and because of this thread i watched her in movies and i had never seen her before..( i love old movies) and love it..so for that i thank the Harlow fans...good work

lisasboogies Guest

i'm new to the forum

BUT.... Scott's DVD (the only one released at this point...hheeehmmm)... has film of the interior of her home. The owners at the time kept the integrity of the home. I'm sure you know this already but just wanted to bring it up for any other newbies like me...

leevancleef Guest

lisalouver Guest
    quote=Layla331;183208]i have to agree..i think shes pretty but not beautiful..i never did understand the shaved off drawn in eyebrows..even today it gives me the creeps[/quote]

I agree on the eyebrows. It may have been the thing back then, but it looked terrible.

I agree Jean was a beautfil woman.

leevancleef Guest

LOVELY

Quote Originally Posted by ThatScaryChick View Post
    Here are some more:
    Just wanted to say thank you for posting the great pics. Great photos really make this forum a special place to visit, especially for people who don't have the time to hunt down many of the rarer photos.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    I would like to take this opportunity to wish Jean Harlow a Happy Birthday. she was born Mar 3, 1911 in Kansas City, Mo.

She would've been all of 97 today had she lived.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Wow 97 years old, incredible.

Happy Birthday Jean

Reecy Guest
    Happy birthday beautiful Jean. I think Jean was one of the most beautiful woman on screen. I remember as a child when I first saw her I didn't know what the big deal was until I saw her on screen. I became mesmerized by her beauty and her personality. I will forever feel that she is one of the great beauties who died way too young. I missed all that she could've been. Another thing....... I think the name Harlow was a great choice for Nicole Ritchie and her boyfriend Joel Madden. I wish I would've thought of that.
    Last edited by Reecy; 03-04-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Happy Birthday to a great lady! We miss you, Baby!

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    I think the name Harlow was a great choice for Nicole Ritchie and her boyfriend Joel Madden. I wish I would've thought of that.
    The funny thing here is that I've read that Joel Madden is actually the big Jean Harlow fan, NOT Nicole!

Go figure.

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Personally, I think she had a face like a shovel. She looked 40+ when she was in her 20's.

However, I've always liked this photograph:

And I appreciate that she had that "old-fashioned," "real woman" body, like Monroe, Mansfield, etc. -- not a stick figure.