Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy Holly

Gary Guest
    About as whacked as making up a story about being pregnant and losing the baby. She also hated Norman Petty so much (she blamed him for Buddy's death) that she made sure he was never mentioned in the movie and he played a MAJOR part of his career! The movie also depicted Buddy's family and pastor being against his career which was farthest from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    About as whacked as making up a story about being pregnant and losing the baby. She also hated Norman Petty so much (she blamed him for Buddy's death) that she made sure he was never mentioned in the movie and he played a MAJOR part of his career! The movie also depicted Buddy's family and pastor being against his career which was farthest from the truth.
    So she wants Lubbock to remove all trace of Buddy's name so that she can take all the glory for herself?! Disgusting! And I thought Norman Petty was one of the guys who helped Buddy become famous?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

BAGOBONES Guest
    Nothing Better Than Some Buddy Holly Music.
    Dude Was A Whiz!
    Singer Songwriter Multi-instrumentalist,producer,arranger,
    Clear Headed.
    Im 31 And I Have Most Everything He Did And Have Had All His Stuff Since I Was 16. His Stuff Is On Constant Rotation In My Music Collection And I Listern To Everything Except Songs Where A Singer Is Whining About Something And Opera.

ArtRockFan Guest
    when Buddy Holly died, did he appeared the same way Otis Redding appeared.

and can someone please post the close-up photos of dead Buddy Holly and the other two?
    Last edited by ArtRockFan; 05-11-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Bleedstreet Guest
    "I was offered copies of the pictures "on the slab" many years ago, but I turned them down"

uhhmmm ok.....

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedstreet View Post
    "I was offered copies of the pictures "on the slab" many years ago, but I turned them down"

uhhmmm ok.....
    It's a fact, Jack. I wasn't into gory pics at that time and didn't want to remember these three that way. It wouldn't bother me now.

It's a fact, Jack. I wasn't into gory pics at that time and didn't want to remember these three that way. It wouldn't bother me now.
    Hey Gary -

Are those pictures in existence on the internet anywhere? I've never seen them, especially with my HUGE death hag book collection!

Also, how can MED's daughter's have ANY say-so with Holley's estate? He wasn't their father! The link should end with MED's death and be passed back over to Buddy's family...JMO.

Gary Guest
    Hi Aries,
    Nope, there are absolutely no photos of the three on the slab on the net. I'm sure if they were, MED would be making money off of Buddy's pics.

I thought that only the pilot was on the slab?

And then there is the story of English music composer Joe Meek (one of his hit songs he wrote was "Tell Laura I Love Her"). Apparently he was really into the occult and one time had a tarot reading done which told him Buddy Holly would die on Feb 3rd. Joe was able to get to Buddy and warn him, but Buddy sort of waved it off and told him not to worry about him.

After the plane crash on Feb 3rd, Joe spent the rest of his days doing Buddy Holly tributes, and seances.

Aries65~
    As I understand it, Buddy is a business and as a business is part of MED's estate. Therefore she can leave "Him" to anyone she chooses. I agree, the Holley family should take over. If they did we would see his Birthday bash back in Lubbock and his legacy treated as it should be. A good example is what Priscilla did with Elvis, who is as big or bigger now than when he was alive.

Norman did not like MED or their sudden courtship and marriage. Maybe because Norman had ties in the music industry he knew she was not "pure as driven snow" like she claimed. Whatever, MED hated him as she wanted no one to control Buddy but her. She still tells all kinds of lies about the man which have been proven to be not true, Norman was no saint but he did not do the things she accused him of.

Bottom line is...MED wanted (demanded) a lifestyle Buddy could not afford, which is what led him to be on the road in the dead of winter. If anyone is to blame for his death IMO it is her and her free spending ways.
    ~The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~~I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.~~ Humphrey Bogart's last words

Kyouya~

Only the pilot was autopsied according to FAA regulations. I think the pictures of Buddy and the others in question were taken at the country morgue, but they were not autopsy photos.
    And yes, Norman Petty was very instrumental (pun intended) in Buddy becoming famous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~~I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.~~ Humphrey Bogart's last words

Quote Originally Posted by morticia53 View Post
    Kyouya~

Only the pilot was autopsied according to FAA regulations. I think the pictures of Buddy and the others in question were taken at the country morgue, but they were not autopsy photos.
    And yes, Norman Petty was very instrumental (pun intended) in Buddy becoming famous.
    I guess the Internet doesn't even have pics of them in the morgue either.

The only photos on the internet that I know of are of the crash site and there are no close-ups of the bodies. The best ones I have seen are in color as most are in B&W. At least the color ones you know which is Buddy by his yellow jacket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way the bodies were in the crash pics looked pretty "good" compared to other pics I've seen. Other plane crash victims looked horrible (especially Momonas Assassinas. Oh man...)

You are right, compared to others I can think of offhand like Patsy Cline, Carole Lombard and Momonas Assassinas...Buddy, Richie and J.P. looked very good! That doesn't mean they didn't have most of their bones broken and skulls split open, but their bodies were not in pieces like other crash victims. The theory is they were all ejected from the plane as it flipped along the ground, so maybe that helped to keep them intact.

Buddy's brother Larry and his brother-in-law J.E. Weir, flew to Mason City, IA to get Buddy's remains. J.E. went in to the Funeral Home to identify the body as Larry was too devastated. When J.E came out, he threw up in some bushes. He then told Larry "You don't want to see Buddy like that"....so that tells me Buddy was pretty bad, as J.E said he had seen some bad stuff as a Marine in WWII, but nothing like what Buddy looked like.

The pilot Roger Peterson however, was crushed inside the plane and in much worse condition.

When J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper) was exhumed last year, he evidently looked amazing for being buried for almost 50 years. This was attributed to an excellent job by the funeral home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest Guest
    have you guys seen this yet? Is that their bodies or something else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lGx...eature=related

Aries65~
    As I understand it, Buddy is a business and as a business is part of MED's estate. Therefore she can leave "Him" to anyone she chooses. I agree, the Holley family should take over. If they did we would see his Birthday bash back in Lubbock and his legacy treated as it should be. A good example is what Priscilla did with Elvis, who is as big or bigger now than when he was alive.

Norman did not like MED or their sudden courtship and marriage. Maybe because Norman had ties in the music industry he knew she was not "pure as driven snow" like she claimed. Whatever, MED hated him as she wanted no one to control Buddy but her. She still tells all kinds of lies about the man which have been proven to be not true, Norman was no saint but he did not do the things she accused him of.

Bottom line is...MED wanted (demanded) a lifestyle Buddy could not afford, which is what led him to be on the road in the dead of winter. If anyone is to blame for his death IMO it is her and her free spending ways.
    Until I visited this board I had never heard any negativity about MED

Can you direct me to some books or web sites that tell it like it is?

THanks!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    have you guys seen this yet? Is that their bodies or something else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lGx...eature=related
    Yes, it does show the bodies.

The guy in the long lighter colored coat with the weird hat that goes over his ears is Ralph Smiley, the coroner for Cerro Gordo County. He took his fee from the pockets of the dead.

JP Richardson was thrown over the fence and that is his body you see on the other side of the fence.

Buddy Holley was wearing a lighter (it was yellow) longish coat.

Ritchie was wearing a long dark coat. Not a lot of people knew this, but Ritchie was actually heavier and bigger than most people thought.

Guest Guest
    wow...... dang..... I always wish they had taken close ups......

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    My name is Donna...and everytime I meet someone new EVERYONE always starts singing "Donna" to me. lol. I'm not complaining though. Its an amazing song. =)

There deaths were so sad.I cry like a baby everytime I see La Bamba. lol

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heartbreakdj00 View Post
    My name is Donna...and everytime I meet someone new EVERYONE always starts singing "Donna" to me. lol. I'm not complaining though. Its an amazing song. =)

There deaths were so sad.I cry like a baby everytime I see La Bamba. lol
    Welcome to the forum, Donna. Good name, good song.

heartbreakdj00 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Donna. Good name, good song.

Thanks! I've been a FAD Addict for a while. But never thought to join the forum! lol.
    Oh! My previous stepmother was an EMT for a while and She had actually worked with Someone from Richies family. They had always told her stories about Richie and Donna. I always thought that was really cool.

Shipmatekate,

Peggy Sue Gerron just publsihed her book "What Ever Happened To Peggy Sue" which puts MED in a truthful light...maybe why MED tried to sue her to stop publication.

MED has a team of lawyers she throws at anyone and everyone, so no one will write much about her, in a book anyway. Her latest target is www.buddyhollyonline.com which she is trying to shut down or get for free. There is a news section there you can read about it. There is a forum on www.rockin50s.com also, just search MED's name you will find probably more than you wanted to know!! She is also mentioned of course in the books; The Buddy Holly Story by John Goldrosen and Rave On by Phillip Norman, both great reads.
    An excellent book also on the deaths of Buddy, Richie and JP is The Day the Music Died by Larry Lehmer.
    Last edited by morticia53; 06-28-2008 at 02:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

desert hag Guest
    I was in Lubbock last week and went to the grave site, walk of fame, and went by the Buddy Holly center. Unfortunately, it was Sunday evening, and the center closed at 5:00 (I got there about 7:00). I didn't get to go into the center on Monday (it is closed on Monday) and I had to leave. There was a gentleman hitting a golf ball in the cemetery and after talking to him he told us that he said he saw them bury Buddy. He said he wasn't in the cemetery, but was looking in through the fence. I enjoyed Lubbock and my husband and I talked about how we hoped they did something big on Feb. 3. I wish they could do something without MED's involvement, but that won't happen.

Shipmatekate,

Peggy Sue Gerron just publsihed her book "What Ever Happened To Peggy Sue" which puts MED in a truthful light...maybe why MED tried to sue her to stop publication.

MED has a team of lawyers she throws at anyone and everyone, so no one will write much about her, in a book anyway. Her latest target is www.buddyhollyonline.com which she is trying to shut down or get for free. There is a news section there you can read about it. There is a forum on www.rockin50s.com also, just search MED's name you will find probably more than you wanted to know!! She is also mentioned of course in the books; The Buddy Holly Story by John Goldrosen and Rave On by Phillip Norman, both great reads.
    An excellent book also on the deaths of Buddy, Richie and JP is The Day the Music Died by Larry Lehmer.

Thanks so much! I will check these out ASAP!

Warning

Shipmatekate,

DO NOT CLICK ON THE ROCKIN50s.COM SITE, IT DOWNLOADS A VIRUS IMMEDIATELY

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    For those of you who have the book "The Day The Music Died", is the footage of the plane crash, that is in that link to youtube on the first page of this thread, the same footage that is refered to on page 232 of the book? If so, I guess we won't have to pay $1,500 per minute anymore, if we want to view it!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Me too...if I had a nickel for every time I've had "Donna" sang to me, I could pay the widow for at least 10 uses of Buddy Holly's name.

Rev.josh Guest
    I would give just about anything to see some good photos of the 3 legends post death.

In fact I live in Houston near Beaumont. I would love to get my hand on the photos on the bopper "dug up "

Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    i did read the autopsy reports and it was not pretty so i can image what the bodies actually looked like.

According to Ritchie's death certificate.... he didn't have an autopsy...but it basically says his brains were gone and one side of his face was mashed in....says he was completely unrecognizable

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    She lost the baby she was carrying of Holly's shortly after his death, and never remarried.

I don't know if she's still alive or not tho.

Today...Aug. 15...would have been their 50th wedding anniversary...assuming they stayed together???

Don't feel bad, mine is Mickey - so I get sung a couple of songs all the time too...

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Don't feel bad, mine is Mickey - so I get sung a couple of songs all the time too...
    Oh, Mickey,
    you're so fine
    you're so fine
    You blow my mind
    HEY MICKEY! Right?

jeftis Guest

Smile Dwyer Flying Service

I have copies if all if the court papers and tax settlements after Buddy's death and funeral including his property transfer and death certificate. It says Indemnity Insurance Company of North America has offered to pay $25,000 per passanger in exchange for a general release of all claims against the Dwyer Flying Service.

No way

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Today...Aug. 15...would have been their 50th wedding anniversary...assuming they stayed together???
    No way they would have seen their second let alone 50th! Buddy already had the divorce papers drawn up, they were ready to be signed when he got back from his tour and we know what happened then....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No way they would have seen their second let alone 50th! Buddy already had the divorce papers drawn up, they were ready to be signed when he got back from his tour and we know what happened then....

Where did you come across this info??

From someone I trust that talked to Buddys attorney.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gary Guest
    It's also common knowledge among folks who have followed Buddy for all these years.

It's also common knowledge among folks who have followed Buddy for all these years.

But nothing concrete?

jeftis Guest
    Does anyone know what happened to Buddy's Cadillac? In the papers I got it says that That his used 1958 Cadillac was sold by his wife for $4565.00 on Feb. 17th, 1959. It would be great to know what happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Oh, Mickey,
    you're so fine
    you're so fine
    You blow my mind
    HEY MICKEY! Right?
    Yeah, and "M-I-C-K-E-Y - Why? 'cause we love you! M-O-U-S-E!"

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    But nothing concrete?
    People "in the know" don't want to talk publicly about it because they are afraid of Maria, for some reason.
    Read Peggy Sue's book for her insight on it........
    Tommy Allsup (Buddy's guitar player on the last tour) has gone on record saying that Buddy NEVER mentioned that Maria was pregnant, during those long bus trips. Bopper constantly talked about his wife expecting and everybody was VERY happy for him, so if Maria was, you would think Buddy would have been bragging it up as well. At this time, though, nobody can prove she was......and nobody can prove she wasn't. I believe she was NOT.

People "in the know" don't want to talk publicly about it because they are afraid of Maria, for some reason.
    Tommy Allsup (Buddy's guitar player on the last tour) has gone on record saying that Buddy NEVER mentioned that Maria was pregnant, during those long bus trips. Bopper constantly talked about his wife expecting and everybody was VERY happy for him, so if Maria was, you would think Buddy would have been bragging it up as well. At this time, though, nobody can prove she was......and nobody can prove she wasn't. I believe she was NOT.

Thanks, I will check out Peggy Sue's book.
    It all seems far too vague and there really is no proof however.

Snudgie Guest
    Last night's episode of "Dead Famous" was the Buddy Holly episode.... I've seen it a few times now, and for some reason it makes me cry every time....I'm not a fan of Buddy, I can only name a couple of his songs...as for the others who died...I know very little about them also....but it just makes me cry.

I don't know if it was the fact they lay in the snow, undiscovered, or that they were all so young and still had much more music to perform to entertain people....it was just sad......The Surf Ballroom looks gorgeous, like it's trapped in time...would love to visit there some day.

RIP Buddy, Richie, and Big Bopper.....xxx

And in her interview with the Lubbock paper in August, she said she was "2 weeks pregnant." In 1959, would a woman know after 2 weeks? Plus in an interview given on the day Buddy was killed, she never mentioned being pregnant.

People who follow Buddy as Gary states, have read everything and know there was no mention of a baby until the movie The Buddy Holly Story came out. IMO it was a sympathy lie. Plus...who would be the first people he would tell of his impending fatherhood? His family I would think and they never heard a word about a baby from him or her.
    Last edited by morticia53; 10-03-2008 at 04:23 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And in her interview with the Lubbock paper in August, she said she was "2 weeks pregnant." In 1959, would a woman know after 2 weeks? Plus in an interview given on the day Buddy was killed, she never mentioned being pregnant.

People who follow Buddy as Gary states, have read everything and know there was no mention of a baby until the movie The Buddy Holly Story came out. IMO it was a sympathy lie. Plus...who would be the first people he would tell of his impending fatherhood? His family I would think and they never heard a word about a baby from him or her.

Wow, that is an incredibly stupid claim to make, you don't know if you are two weeks pregnant and it really wouldn't be a "miscarriage" at two weeks, it would be a late period!

I wonder why she seems to invoke fear and dislike so easily?
    I mean she could give poor Yoko a run in the "Most despised spouse"
    department.

The un-Merry Widow

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Wow, that is an incredibly stupid claim to make, you don't know if you are two weeks pregnant and it really wouldn't be a "miscarriage" at two weeks, it would be a late period!

I wonder why she seems to invoke fear and dislike so easily?
    I mean she could give poor Yoko a run in the "Most despised spouse"
    department.
    The fear factor comes from her penchant for threatening to sue anyone for anything. Her latest sue-happy stunt is trying to get the owner of buddyhollyonline to turn over the website to her, for free. She thinks she owns everything and anything associated with Buddy and all his name is to her is $$$ signs as she has proven time and time again.

If you loved your spouse and he died, wouldn't you be honored to have music festivals and landmarks named after him? Wouldn't you want to see his name in the spotlight for future generations? Wouldn't you try to promote his legacy? Would you go to his funeral and gravesite to honor him?

As a woman who loves her husband, I can't understand any of her actions. My husband has terminal cancer and I have made him a website etc. as I want him to be remembered always and he is not famous. And I wouldn't want $$ for these things even if he WAS famous. Yes she has the right to make $$ off items like music and merchandise, I don't dispute that. But wanting money for something named to honor him like a street or a website? That is being a gold digger IMO. I have no regard or respect for the woman and believe nothing she says.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The fear factor comes from her penchant for threatening to sue anyone for anything. Her latest sue-happy stunt is trying to get the owner of buddyhollyonline to turn over the website to her, for free. She thinks she owns everything and anything associated with Buddy and all his name is to her is $$$ signs as she has proven time and time again.

If you loved your spouse and he died, wouldn't you be honored to have music festivals and landmarks named after him? Wouldn't you want to see his name in the spotlight for future generations? Wouldn't you try to promote his legacy? Would you go to his funeral and gravesite to honor him?

As a woman who loves her husband, I can't understand any of her actions. My husband has terminal cancer and I have made him a website etc. as I want him to be remembered always and he is not famous. And I wouldn't want $$ for these things even if he WAS famous. Yes she has the right to make $$ off items like music and merchandise, I don't dispute that. But wanting money for something named to honor him like a street or a website? That is being a gold digger IMO. I have no regard or respect for the woman and believe nothing she says.

See, now I have learned something!
    So sorry about your husband, mine is the light of my life and I can't imagine being without him.

She sounds really, really selfish and greedy.
    I am going to head to the library tomorrow and do some reading!

Poor Buddy sure deserves better treatment!!

Thanks Kate, it is a hard thing as my husband is my life, I don't let myself think of what the future holds, too depressing for me.

I do know however that anyone who really loves their spouse wouldn't treat their memory the way "she" does Buddy's. He certainly did deserve better.

As for books, "Remembering Buddy” by John Goldrosen & John Beecher is the best. “The Day The Music Died” by Larry Lehmer is also great. DO NOT get Ellis Amburn’s “Buddy Holly - The Biography" it is pure fictional trash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]