View Poll Results: What Do You Believe In?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • God

54 65.85%
  • Jesus

47 57.32%
  • heaven/hell

39 47.56%
  • afterlife

52 63.41%
  • reincarnation

28 34.15%
  • ghosts

51 62.20%
  • aliens

29 35.37%
  • Bigfoot

14 17.07%
  • Loch Ness Monster

16 19.51%
  • I believe in none of the above

8 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Believe In? - Faith/Religious/Spiritual Issues

MorbidMolly Guest
    Post this.........I think the Devil is a nice touch and should throw your ass-shat SIL into strokes-ville.......( my SIL is a douche too....both of them )

2. 12-12-2008, 07:28 AM

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkering View Post
    your sil reminds me of jack chick & his tracts.

Excellant.......LMAOOOO

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    Have you ever been so mad about something that you're just numb? I think I'm at the point today.

I have a facebook profile and on there I list myself as Agnostic. I've been an agnostic since I was 13 years old. My dad accepts it and my mother confuses me for an athiest. No big deal, I try and correct her and she seems alright with certain things. I just tell her that I don't believe in any one religion and would like to keep an open mind.

Then comes last night when she asks me while we're cooking what an agnostic is. I tell her and she starts to tell me that my sister-in-law called her the other day, expressing how upsetting it was to see me listed as an agnostic on the website and how she really needed to talk to me about my religious preference. It was just a horrible thing, so the next thing out of my mother's mouth is that I'm going to hell.

Ummmm...number one, who is my SIL to tell me what religion I can celebrate? What power does she have? Furthermore, why is it any of her business?

So, I'm spending my morning printing things off about what agnosticism is and I will be giving it to my mother the next time that I see her, but I am so completely mad that my SIL thinks that she has the right to say to my mother. I know my father completely agreed with me when I asked why she thought that she had the power to change anything about my life.

GEH! SO FREAKING MAD!
    Beliefs are a funny thing you can change an attitude or an opinion but not a belief. When you posted this about yourself you left yourself open to criticism and judgement.
    I'm a witch I've heard the worst and you should thank your sil for her concern as she is right! Not that you are going to hell but that according to her beliefs you are going to hell. Worst case be thankful you wont be sharing her eternity. I've always wondered how an infinitely powerful entity like God could create a "perfect paradise" with just one door. Christians put too many limits on their Supreme being. Heck they confine him between the covers of a book. It's a nice enough book even a Good Book but shouldn't there be more to the infinite? Be glad you sil has found comfort in her faith and gook luck on your own spiritual journey.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaver mangler View Post

Ask your Mom if she'd like to hear about FSM.....
    FSM!!!!
    We are not worthy!

Last edited by Ima Sikfuk; 12-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

6. 12-12-2008, 07:57 AM

7. 12-12-2008, 07:59 AM

Tracyb24 Guest
    Tell her to mind her own business or get the hell ready to prove some shit. I'm the same way. I went to church for over a year. Everytime the door was open. Dammit, I mean I really TRIED too but I just felt like the people were getting something I wasn't. I'd ask my husband, How do you KNOW? How are all these people so sure and I'm sitting here doubting? I'm not knocking church at all. I mean this for myself. They'd all be crying and stuff while i'm just kinda there.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkering View Post
    risking to come off as an unworldly blonde here, but - what's the "noodly appendage" in reference to?
    Now mind you, I'm not trying to convert you but perhaps this will explain
    http://www.venganza.org/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

10. 12-12-2008, 08:10 AM

Armcast Guest
    Why even acknowledge the importance of her opinion of your beliefs? Tell your SIL that your religious preference is none of her business plain and simple and that it is not something up for discussion.

12. 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Guest Guest
    Tell your Mom you were an agnostic - until God appeared to you last night and told you that your SIL was going to go to hell after she died for being such a b*tch!

Nosgothic Guest
    At least you believe in good manners and not forcing your beliefs on others.

Lita Guest
    Remind your SIL that one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not judge" then remind her that only God decides who goes to Heaven or Hell and the last time you checked, she certaintly wasn't God. That ought to throw her for a loop. Then for good measure if she doesn't stfu, tell her to mind her own business. It's not her job, right, or whatever else to try to push her religion on you and it might be good to mention--whether true or not--that one reason your agnostic is because you're sick of others trying to shove their religion down your throat.

BooMom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    Remind your SIL that one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not judge" then remind her that only God decides who goes to Heaven or Hell and the last time you checked, she certaintly wasn't God. That ought to throw her for a loop. Then for good measure if she doesn't stfu, tell her to mind her own business. It's not her job, right, or whatever else to try to push her religion on you and it might be good to mention--whether true or not--that one reason your agnostic is because you're sick of others trying to shove their religion down your throat.
    Perfect response !

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post

I am converted.......do we have meetings and will there be refreshments

Plain and simple, people just suck, if you include them in any aspect of your life they feel like they have a right to an opinion about it. My fiancee's father tried to tell him he was going to "sit us down and have a conversation about our relationship with god". My fiancee told his dad "yeahh you can go ahead and try that and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it will end badly for you if you say that to her" lol. He's left it alone since then, my religious choice is mine alone and not his dad, my dad or anyone else can make me change my mind, heart or belief....people just Suck.
    Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. ~Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post
    lmao, their hate mail alone makes me wanna sign up.
    Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. ~Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaver mangler View Post

ask your mom if she'd like to hear about fsm.....

yaaaaaar!

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I am converted.......do we have meetings and will there be refreshments
    I want one of those uberkwel tee shirts!!

Lita took my answer almost word for word!! Judge not, least ye be judged or however you want to phrase it.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    O.K...I have TOTALLY got to look into this church...I think I shall become a FSM recruit...I like it...I LIKE IT ALOT!!! AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! THANKS SikFUK!!!

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    Why can't people mind their own business? Tell her to eat shit.

I must use that one the next time someone else pisses me off.

Ok, I understand people getting defensive. I'm a Christian, and yes, I do worry about those who are not. That's my belief and I have as much right to believe that as you have not to. But I never ever convey that to anyone, just because of reactions like I see on thread. All Christians are taught to spread the word and try to get others to believe, but there are right ways and wrong ways to go about it. I wouldn't take offense to it, hear them out and move on or say you'd prefer not to discuss it. Don't tell them to kiss your ass, fuck off or any of that, that's just wrong. They are only doing what they feel is the right thing to do. I know, I'm playing devil's advocate here. ***backs quickly out of thread***turns runs like hell****

Actually, if your sil is a TRUE christian, you can tell her that the bible (king james version) says this:

Philippians 2:12
    Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with FEAR AND TREMBLING.

I don't see where it says to work out aunt Marys or Uncle Hanks salvation. She needs to worry about her OWN salvation.

Matthew 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Seems she should have enough to worry about dealing with her own shortcomings than to devote time to deciding what is best for you.

Sometimes, it pays to be a preachers kid...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Ok, I understand people getting defensive. I'm a Christian, and yes, I do worry about those who are not. That's my belief and I have as much right to believe that as you have not to. But I never ever convey that to anyone, just because of reactions like I see on thread. All Christians are taught to spread the word and try to get others to believe, but there are right ways and wrong ways to go about it. I wouldn't take offense to it, hear them out and move on or say you'd prefer not to discuss it. Don't tell them to kiss your ass, fuck off or any of that, that's just wrong. They are only doing what they feel is the right thing to do. I know, I'm playing devil's advocate here. ***backs quickly out of thread***turns runs like hell****

Phillie, I so agree with you hun to a degree. The problem, IMO, with christians now days is that there are so many who are so busy dwelling on the faults of non christians instead of allowing Chirst to live through them by their fruits as we are instructed to do. Christ left us with three commandments: 1) Love God with your whole heart 2) Love one another as Christ loved the church. 3) Believe

If Christians stuck to these three principles, I feel that they would find that non believers would want to learn more because they would be attracted by the love radiating from the person.

Once again...this is just my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Lotusflower Guest
    Your SIL is out of line for even daring to talk about YOUR beliefs and preferences with YOUR mother. I don't blame you for being mad and upset, so I hope you tell your SIL to stay out of your business in future. She has a lot of nerve, so I hope she is put in her place !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilina View Post
    Phillie, I so agree with you hun to a degree. The problem, IMO, with christians now days is that there are so many who are so busy dwelling on the faults of non christians instead of allowing Chirst to live through them by their fruits as we are instructed to do. Christ left us with three commandments: 1) Love God with your whole heart 2) Love one another as Christ loved the church. 3) Believe

If Christians stuck to these three principles, I feel that they would find that non believers would want to learn more because they would be attracted by the love radiating from the person.

Once again...this is just my opinion.
    and a wonderful opinion that is...very well said.

Layla331 Guest
    I'm Catholic and don't feel the need to explain or defend my choice..and you shouldnt either ..your a big girl and can believe as you choose...people and their judging have just got to stop...all the judging people do in the name of "Christianity" gives the Christians a bad name..

Cettie Guest
    I'm a minister, legally certified, ordained and licensed. I can say with absolute authority that there is NO hell, NO purgatory and that your sister-in-law is as much a flaming asshole is my sister is.

If she wants to tangle with me, bring it on.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamrock Princess View Post

I must use that one the next time someone else pisses me off.
    It works very well for me.

marimbagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post

I totally respect that she has the right to be concerned about me, but to tell my mother that it's horrible that I believe the way that I do just kind of crossed a line. So, I don't go to church. That's not the most horrible thing that can happen. I go to church twice a year, Christmas and Easter, because it makes my parents happy. If I choose to do this, that's my choice.

I have people out there that joke around that they're going to pray for me, and I know that they actually do when the time comes, and you know, it's always good to have someone out there that cares enough to worry about your well being, but not in the way that my SIL does.

I know that most people believe in their religion and they take great comfort in it, but I've never been one of those people. I just never appealed to me. Even when I was little and in Sunday School, I never really believed any of what my teachers would tell me. I went through conformation and I was baptised because it's what my parents wanted. I have no problem with that and if it brings them comfort to think that my soul was saved, then it's the least that I could do. I treat religion like an educational experience. There are so many out there and there's so much that we could learn from each one, who's to say that any one is correct? I believe that there is a higher power and I believe that there just might be something after death. I do believe in ghosts and I hold a very tentitive belief in heaven.

I guess I mean to say that I don't see anything wrong in what I do believe in. To hear my family constantly question me, it makes me feel wrong, but I don't change because what I have is a comfort to myself. I guess I just wish that I didn't have to defend myself all the time. It gets old.

P.S. I thought about changing my profile on facebook to read FSM.

bluesma Guest
    I grew up in the church and completely understand... my Grandfather and Uncle were both ministers and my grandmother (other side) was a reorganized Morman. I am agnostic myself and my sister calls me an Atheist all the time. It irrates me too... but more because it is none of her business. In short, I feel your pain.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    Lita, you said it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I guess I mean to say that I don't see anything wrong in what I do believe in. To hear my family constantly question me, it makes me feel wrong, but I don't change because what I have is a comfort to myself. I guess I just wish that I didn't have to defend myself all the time. It gets old.
    As long as you're comfortable with your beliefs it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. As Lita pointed out... Going by their religion, God is supposed to be the only one who can pass judgment on others.

When humans choose to do so, that means they are trying to surpass God. If God really exists... Do you think that's going to look good to him?

bunny Guest

Heaven question

Ok let me start with this one, yesterday I was watching the news and they had on there some dogs that had been abused, then I turned the channel and there was somthing about kids being hurt...it just made me sick..

SO my question is...if there is a Heaven and I think there is, I dont know if I want to go there since if you are an angel you will beable to see all this stuff...

Ok I know this thread is stupid, but I think that everytime I hear about somthing bad happening..I dont want to see it...does that make sense?

Tracyb24 Guest
    I understand what you are saying. I have thought stuff along the same lines. I wouldn't want to see bad stuff and I truly hope that's not how it is.

bunny Guest
    I know it sounds funny, but I dont want to be up there (If I get there) hahah and see all this shit in the world...I just dont know!
    thank you Tracy for understanding! ..

Tracyb24 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    I know it sounds funny, but I dont want to be up there (If I get there) hahah and see all this shit in the world...I just dont know!
    thank you Tracy for understanding! ..
    Ah, honey you are welcome. I do understand, who knows, I may not get there either and if you can see bad things, I may not want to make it!

Guest Guest
    IDK ~ maybe you see the things, but have this divine thing that makes you not feel it ~ like you see the person suffering, know it's temporary and know what the future is going to bring.

Hard to explain ~ you see and feel the dog's pain, see that they are going to die and be released from that pain and will be in heaven rejoicing with you as a fellow angel????

Your deep one, Bun!!

bunny Guest
    I have always thought about it, but cant tell my husband cause he thinks it is just stupid to worry about it hahah...

I just hate seeing children and animals in bad situations...and I dont know if I could go forever seeing that shit..OR I could be one of those angels who haunts the bad people hahahahahahahah

Tracyb24 Guest
    I have always thought about it, but cant tell my husband cause he thinks it is just stupid to worry about it hahah...

I just hate seeing children and animals in bad situations...and I dont know if I could go forever seeing that shit..OR I could be one of those angels who haunts the bad people hahahahahahahah
    Wouldn't it be cool as hell to get to pick what you'd get to do?

simon69 Guest

don't_axe_me Guest
    Wouldn't it be cool as hell
    This made me giggle....Cool as hell in Heaven.

44. 01-22-2009, 09:16 AM

45. 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    SO my question is...if there is a Heaven and I think there is, I dont know if I want to go there since if you are an angel you will beable to see all this stuff...
    You don't know the mindset, view or values of said afterlife. In this heaven you speak of, maybe there is no judgment and only a perfect state of harmony. Then again maybe it's an eternity of dreams and darkness, I guess weâ??ll just have to wait and see. In the end will all of this just have been an experiment in tolerance and understanding? I donâ??t think were given a choice, I donâ??t think there is a decision, I think the outcome just IS.

djdeath-hag Guest
    I agree with you, Delivian. I hope that the experience of being dead will be enjoyable, since I expect to be dead for a very long time. I would like to think that my "soul" just becomes positive energy to support & guide loved ones.

halogirl5 Guest
    As a Chistian I don't believe that you become an angel. People and angels were created separately by God and are not interchangeable, having different roles in the universe and so on. The Bible states that one day humans shall judge angels; we have authority through Christ to do so and not by our own merits, and we are more important than they are because we are have the gift of being indwelt by the Holy Spirit so they are there to serve us, after God. Anyway, sorry I went off at tangent, basically a Chistian POV is that when a Christian dies, they go to paradise which is like a temporary 'heaven' before the new heaven and the new earth that will come at the end of the world. So basically you can't see all the bad things that are happening on earth as you will be busy in Paradise, preparing for the end of days and Jesus coming back. I think that's good. As you say, nobody would want to see the suffering, especially as the evil in the world unfolds more and more.
    Sorry if that long winded and boring, just thought I'd share my view. xxx

halogirl5 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I agree with you, Delivian. I hope that the experience of being dead will be enjoyable, since I expect to be dead for a very long time. I would like to think that my "soul" just becomes positive energy to support & guide loved ones.
    I think you getting some good practice in Dennis for your role in Paradise...you are certainly supporting and guiding for us all. I bet that is rhe role God has picked out for you xx

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by halogirl5 View Post
    As a Chistian I don't believe that you become an angel. People and angels were created separately by God and are not interchangeable, having different roles in the universe and so on. The Bible states that one day humans shall judge angels; we have authority through Christ to do so and not by our own merits, and we are more important than they are because we are have the gift of being indwelt by the Holy Spirit so they are there to serve us, after God. Anyway, sorry I went off at tangent, basically a Chistian POV is that when a Christian dies, they go to paradise which is like a temporary 'heaven' before the new heaven and the new earth that will come at the end of the world. So basically you can't see all the bad things that are happening on earth as you will be busy in Paradise, preparing for the end of days and Jesus coming back. I think that's good. As you say, nobody would want to see the suffering, especially as the evil in the world unfolds more and more.
    Sorry if that long winded and boring, just thought I'd share my view. xxx
    Halo, I totally agree with you, from one Christian to another.

I would also like to share this in the hope that it will put people's minds at ease. Again, these are my beliefs (and Halo's), so you may or may not agree, but I hope you will at least give it some consideration. I hope you find some comfort in this information I'm sharing. http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/topics/heaven

(((((((Hugs to all)))))))
    Last edited by I♥TinyTim; 01-22-2009 at 10:08 AM.

I'm hoping that, if I make it to Heaven, I get to do all the things that, had I done them on earth, would have sent me to hell.

bunny Guest
    thanks guys for nothing thinking this is a stupid thread...I have always thought about it and it would really bother me.. seeing all the suffering and horrible crap down here...

I was getting ready to post, but I see that Halo has covered everything (as usual ). I agree with what she said 100%. I will say that the Bible is pretty closed mouthed on heaven and what we will see/do when we get up there, but I would think we couldn't see the pain here below as we are supposed to be happy up there. Seeing all of the mess the world is in would make us sad, I would think.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I can speak from someone who used to believe as Halo did, but I don't think I do anymore. I once thought angels were separate beings, but I have recently had a mind altering event happen in my life and I'm not sure of any of that anymore.

I didn't mean that to sound negative, I just mean I believe that when we die, we get to come back to help be a guide to those we love. I lost my dad in summer of '06, and I believe he is still with me, visiting me in dreams and watching over me. I feel his presence all the time.

Do they become angels? I dunno, but it feels like it. The Bible says we have a great cloud of witnesses, who are in that cloud? Angels? Those that have passed on? A little of both?

I think they can see those things, but I believe they are surrounded with so much love and joy that they don't feel it. Their emotions, their love, etc., is far more evolved than ours is. They can see the whole picture, we can't.

That's just my dimestore beliefs, take it or leave it, FWIW. YMMV.

Barbossa, you DEVIL! I know some of those things you want to do!

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

DexterKitty Guest
    Bunny.... I don't think this is a stupid thread at all !!! Going a little on your angle about angels seeing the bad that goes on on earth..... can you just imagine what God sees everyday when he's looking down on us. I realize everything is done by God's hand, and we're suppose to learn lessons from everything but still.... I can't even imagine how that would look. I guess we just have to keep the faith, and believe everything happens for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterKitty View Post
    Bunny.... I don't think this is a stupid thread at all !!! Going a little on your angle about angels seeing the bad that goes on on earth..... can you just imagine what God sees everyday when he's looking down on us. I realize everything is done by God's hand, and we're suppose to learn lessons from everything but still.... I can't even imagine how that would look. I guess we just have to keep the faith, and believe everything happens for a reason.
    Sometimes I do wonder what God must think of us but I dont believe everything is done by Gods hand. We have a free will so we choose what we do or we are affected by others choices. I also believe there are divine inspiration and acts I also believe there are evil inspirations and acts.

For example, a dude walks into a store and shoots people dead. He did that of his own free will and probably some evil inspiration....God did not do that. IMO I do agree there are lessons to be learned and things happen for a reason or maybe better said good things can come out of bad situations.
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"