View Poll Results: What Do You Believe In?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • God

54 65.85%
  • Jesus

47 57.32%
  • heaven/hell

39 47.56%
  • afterlife

52 63.41%
  • reincarnation

28 34.15%
  • ghosts

51 62.20%
  • aliens

29 35.37%
  • Bigfoot

14 17.07%
  • Loch Ness Monster

16 19.51%
  • I believe in none of the above

8 9.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Believe In? - Faith/Religious/Spiritual Issues

Misha Guest
    They sing Jesus' name from the highest mountaintop while they piss on everyone below. During the 2nd Coming Jesus might not have anyone left to judge because these schmucks have already done it for him
    heh - that reminds me of what I heard someone say a long time ago about this very thing - "Jesus save me from your followers!"

Misha

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I don't consider my ex church a cult. They just didn't agree with some of the goings on of the Southern Baptist Convention and pulled out. They taught the Bible as the literal word of God. It was a fun place to be, not old fogey, thunder clap environment. Actually had it not been for that church there is no telling what path I would have taken, drugs, teen pregnancy, etc. Spooky. But they kept me off the street and doing fun things with the youth group, travel, parties, etc.
    like i said, "cult" was the way that my husband described it. he said that it was very scary time. He said that the worst time that he has ever been "beat" was that when he answered the door without a shirt on (he said that he was about 6 yrs. old) because he had been outside playing and he was about to hop in the bath and just ran to the door when the preacher knocked. This particular group that his parents were associated with (again, up until he was in the 6th grade) had to go shout at people with bull horns outside of Walmart, still wore the homemade dresses, etc. He didn't find it fun, he said that he was scared to death.

I grew up Baptist in Georgia and I have dealt with fundimentilists for years. As an adult I became a Methodist but both my Wife's and My Families both remain Baptist. They are pretty strict in their lifestyles. They also think God is behind every good thing that happens to them and I part ways with them in that school of thought.

One interesting thing we have down here is the Baptist Snake handling Churches. They are not common around Atlanta but as you get into the rural areas and into North Georgia you see these little churches around. They handle snakes and speak in tongues. I have never seen it in person but I have always that it would be a hoot to see.

Here is a vid of what I am talking about...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhvOeNCKhs

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    like i said, "cult" was the way that my husband described it. he said that it was very scary time. He said that the worst time that he has ever been "beat" was that when he answered the door without a shirt on (he said that he was about 6 yrs. old) because he had been outside playing and he was about to hop in the bath and just ran to the door when the preacher knocked. This particular group that his parents were associated with (again, up until he was in the 6th grade) had to go shout at people with bull horns outside of Walmart, still wore the homemade dresses, etc. He didn't find it fun, he said that he was scared to death.
    I have found that people that behave this way would do so regardless of religious input. Crazy is crazy, no matter which way you slice it. We are not rational creatures, we are creatures that rationalize. I still am very much in favor of an ecumenical approach to religious differences, but some people will not allow such common sense to invade their "reasoning".

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoQueen View Post
    First off, Impatience, I have to say congrats for taking this as an opportunity to come to some kind of understanding of your in-laws rather than using this info to ridicule or condemn them. I am an atheist myself, but very much enjoy a live-and-let-live attitude toward others' faiths, so long as they give me the same courtesy. Being a "Suthunuh", I also have had experiences with some of the more fundamentalist groups, and I think my favorites were the Primitive Baptists (also known as foot-washing Baptists). They segregate according to sex (men on one side, women on the other), build their churches near a naturally-occurring body of water (no inside baptismal font because that's not how Jesus did it), don't usually have a regular preacher but rather have the parishoners take turns, no communion unless you're a member of that particular church (not just a member of the overall sect), and of course, as part of the communion services the men wash each others' feet as do the women. Even when I was a Christian, I did not care for the way that this and many other churches in many denominations would deny communion for visitors, but overall I found the group I visited to be very kind and genuinely concerned about each other. I don't think you need a religion at all to find such a sense of community, but hey, to each his (peaceable!) own
    I had forgot about them (primitive baptists)... more likely I've tried to block them out. I worked with a girl who married someone who was a primitive baptist. She asked me to be in her wedding not telling me what religion she was (we weren't close and I was shocked that she asked me... but it seemed she didn't have many friends, so I wanted to do what I could to make her day special and all...) Apparently her church had to VOTE as to whether or not we had to have LONG SLEEVES for her JUNE wedding in SOUTH GEORGIA. That was the biggest nightmare of a wedding I've ever been in.

But at least they announced what they were. I'm shocked that, while I knew that my busband's family were fanatical and rather crazy (i was told verbatim, "dinosaurs are a conspiracy theory. Archeologist make plaster of paris bones in their basement.") I never put two and two together until I saw it on my SiL's FB page... and then I had to go google what an Independent Baptist was exactly. And then I went in search of the "college" that she went to. It's called Crown College in TN.... look it up. There's not a math book to be found there. I was just shocked. I was always told that she went to a "private" college.

But I do ascribe to the "live and let live" philosophy. That's what they believe, good for them. I just don't like the fact that they tell everyone that I'm not a "christian" because I don't believe what they believe. I have a lot of questions and I've read a lot of books on religion, christianity in particular as well as paganism. If I had to be perfectly honest with myself, I would have to say that I'm more of a unitarian.
    Last edited by Impatience; 08-20-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Misha Guest
    Ive been through this on other threads, im an atheist by choice. I dont believe in " God " , god is man made. Ill believe in god when I can give him/her a wedgie. Then watered down over the years, now god is used to suit peoples needs. I dont believe in Heaven or Hell or saints or sinners. I dont need to sit all dressed up in a church listening to a preacher telling me how ive screwed up according a book and person thats been so distorted over the decades. While the whole time the pastor or priest is busy doing his secretary or touching kids somewhere. Theres no such thing as sins since everything we do as far as choices is free will. Knowing the consiquences we do things anyways good or bad. I dont need some book or preacher to tell me its wrong to bang my friends wife/gf or to kill someone or to steal. If it feels wrong, seems wrong or sounds wrong, most likely it is wrong. Its all in a persons individual peoples moral values which vary from person to person.

Orginized religion is so hypricital its unreal.
    If you go by feelings governing what is right or wrong, is it right for someone to hurt or kill someone else because they "feel" like it is? Likewise, some argue it "feels" right to bang whomever they want. Does that make it okay in your opinion?

Also, anyone who attends church and says they aren't a hypocrite is deceived. The Church isn't for the "righteous" as much as it is for the broken, and the sinners....it's like a hospital. I hate that someone has given you such a tainted and cynical view of it.

Misha

Impatience Guest
    i like this quote that i heard the other day btw:

Sitting in church makes you no more a Christian than sitting in a garage makes you a car.

crazedfemale Guest
    I believe in the God Jahweh, his son Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Ive been through this on other threads, im an atheist by choice. I dont believe in " God " , god is man made. Ill believe in god when I can give him/her a wedgie. Then watered down over the years, now god is used to suit peoples needs. I dont believe in Heaven or Hell or saints or sinners. I dont need to sit all dressed up in a church listening to a preacher telling me how ive screwed up according a book and person thats been so distorted over the decades. While the whole time the pastor or priest is busy doing his secretary or touching kids somewhere. Theres no such thing as sins since everything we do as far as choices is free will. Knowing the consiquences we do things anyways good or bad. I dont need some book or preacher to tell me its wrong to bang my friends wife/gf or to kill someone or to steal. If it feels wrong, seems wrong or sounds wrong, most likely it is wrong. Its all in a persons individual peoples moral values which vary from person to person.

Orginized religion is so hypricital its unreal.
    I strongly agree with the points that I have made bold. And I will add the following: I don't think that people should refrain from doing things that are morally wrong JUST for the sole purpose that there is a book that "god ordained" and it tells them not to do so. I think that people should refrain from doing morally corrupt things because it's the right thing to do and it's for their fellow human being (and animals in some cases). I don't know what that philosophy makes me.

ChargerBill Guest
    I believe Sundays are for football

Damnit, the poll is closed, but I'll still answer:

Heaven/Hell
    God
    Jesus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

djdeath-hag Guest
    With each passing post on this thread, I find myself questioning my own beliefs. I suppose that makes me a cafeteria-Catholic, who happens to be gay...which in some factions makes my previous statement irrelevant....or irreverant. Either one is ok with me. Honestly, I'd like to believe that when I die, I will be reunited with my family & friends....regardless of what they believed in. I find it very interesting & quite compelling to read or hear of what others believe, I'm very moved by the tales of reincarnation by the likes of the kid who remembered being a pilot in WWII.
    I'm not especially influenced by the paranormal but I've had at least one clear experience that leads me to believe that the departed can & do occasionally reach out to us.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Vlad,

Why do you think it's a turn-off in general? You're right though - even the Pope goes to reconciliation. He's as human as the rest of us.

Misha
    I just find too much pomposity and contradictions. People can misbehave then go to confession, then start all over again. I find religion interesting and often crazy, but won't subscribe to any of it.

Wretched1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inked_Daddy View Post
    I grew up Baptist in Georgia and I have dealt with fundimentilists for years. As an adult I became a Methodist but both my Wife's and My Families both remain Baptist. They are pretty strict in their lifestyles. They also think God is behind every good thing that happens to them and I part ways with them in that school of thought.

One interesting thing we have down here is the Baptist Snake handling Churches. They are not common around Atlanta but as you get into the rural areas and into North Georgia you see these little churches around. They handle snakes and speak in tongues. I have never seen it in person but I have always that it would be a hoot to see.

Wasn't there a move to ban these types of services in the late 70's? I seem to remember a movement to at least ban the snake handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched1 View Post
    Wasn't there a move to ban these types of services in the late 70's? I seem to remember a movement to at least ban the snake handling.
    I am not sure. I do know for sure it still goes on in Georgia. Yet another fine feather in our State's cap.

At least I don't live in Alabama.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    I believe that heaven is completely different for each individual.

Mine is going to be Hollywood/Los Angeles in the early 1950s.
    That's what my son believes. That whatever you think "heaven" is, is what it will be. That's a nice thought.

Misha Guest
    I just find too much pomposity and contradictions. People can misbehave then go to confession, then start all over again. I find religion interesting and often crazy, but won't subscribe to any of it.
    Oh okay. Well, I am grateful to have confession for that very reason! But it's not because "we can misbehave and then start all over," in quite the way you mean that. Every single time I go to confession, I get more strength to loosen myself from bad habits, rather, I feel more free. If you're truly not sorry for anything when you go, it's futile, pointless, and means nothing - like the way you indeed stated it. And there are people who do that probably. But that's the beauty of Christianity you see....it's not about what any other single person does....not a priest, not the pope....rather, it's about my own personal relationship with God that matters. Nothing else does. Thank you for answering Vlad!

Misha

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Honestly, I'd like to believe that when I die, I will be reunited with my family & friends....regardless of what they believed in.
    This is my primary reason for wanting a heaven and wanting everyone there (except a few ex-girlfriends ). The thought that I'd never be reunited with my family after I die is heartbreaking.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    I strongly agree with the points that I have made bold. And I will add the following: I don't think that people should refrain from doing things that are morally wrong JUST for the sole purpose that there is a book that "god ordained" and it tells them not to do so. I think that people should refrain from doing morally corrupt things because it's the right thing to do and it's for their fellow human being (and animals in some cases). I don't know what that philosophy makes me.
    I think that qualifies you as a humanist. Pretty much sums up my feelings, too

Misha Guest
    Originally Posted by Impatience
    I strongly agree with the points that I have made bold. And I will add the following: I don't think that people should refrain from doing things that are morally wrong JUST for the sole purpose that there is a book that "god ordained" and it tells them not to do so. I think that people should refrain from doing morally corrupt things because it's the right thing to do and it's for their fellow human being (and animals in some cases). I don't know what that philosophy makes me
    Would you agree that there has to be a standard set somewhere though, that serves as a point of reference? Otherwise, wouldn't there just be anarchy or chaos ultimately?

Misha

Impatience Guest
    Would you agree that there has to be a standard set somewhere though, that serves as a point of reference? Otherwise, wouldn't there just be anarchy or chaos ultimately?

Misha
    personally, i think that the rules set forth within the ten commandments are a good code in which to live by. but not for the sole reason that they happen to be in the bible. Upon examination, they are the foundation for any society to try to peacefully co-exist.

I try to be a good person. I try to respect all people (whether I agree with them or not) and I try to be an advocate for people I feel have no voice - especially children. While I'm not particularly "religious" I think that I do try to emmulate "jesus christ" more than most "christians". While I think that there was a movement after christ's death to make him a diety, I like the principles that he stood for: helping the hungry, the sick, the downtrodden, the people who society considered the "cast offs" of the day. I got into a debate (who me?!) with my inlaws who are -- as I discovered this week because of their religion -- extrememly against anyone who is a homosexual... I really believe that if Jesus walked the earth today all of the people society considers "heathens" (sp?) would be his closest disciples. And that's where I think Christianity misses the mark. Instead of sitting in the hard pews of fire and brimstone and screaming to the masses about hatred, I think that Christians should embrace the same people that they seem to have such a deep animosity for... (please believe me when I tell you I'm being sincere) because isn't that what jesus would do?

Misha Guest
    Impatience,

I agree with you that the 10 commandments are good to live by, regardless of how we came by them. And you're right. Jesus loves us all, no matter where we are, or what we've done, or what we will do. And he definitely was and is an advocate for the broken ones, like you said - the cast-offs. But while he loves us all precisely as we are, he also loves us too much to let us stay in our sins, that is, if we are indeed in sin. The story of the woman caught in adultery is a good example, where he told the accusers, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone." He then told her, "No one, not even I, condemn you. Go and sin no more."

So I don't think Christianity misses any mark, rather, certain people do. People, like you stated, who preach hate or intolerance of people, are certainly poor representations of Christ. The people I look to who brought me into Christianity (Catholicism), are very good representations of Christ. The biggest problem surrounding it, imo, is when people throw the baby out with the bath water. In other words, they refuse Christianity because of the poor representations, rather than simply looking at Christ himself. (I did this once myself). When I did my own research, and kept my focus on what the message was/is (Christ), it all made perfect sense. What others do or don't do is of little concern to me.

Misha

Impatience Guest
    Impatience,

I agree with you that the 10 commandments are good to live by, regardless of how we came by them. And you're right. Jesus loves us all, no matter where we are, or what we've done, or what we will do. And he definitely was and is an advocate for the broken ones, like you said - the cast-offs. But while he loves us all precisely as we are, he also loves us too much to let us stay in our sins, that is, if we are indeed in sin. The story of the woman caught in adultery is a good example, where he told the accusers, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone." He then told her, "No one, not even I, condemn you. Go and sin no more."

So I don't think Christianity misses any mark, rather, certain people do. People, like you stated, who preach hate or intolerance of people, are certainly poor representations of Christ. The people I look to who brought me into Christianity (Catholicism), are very good representations of Christ. The biggest problem surrounding it, imo, is when people throw the baby out with the bath water. In other words, they refuse Christianity because of the poor representations, rather than simply looking at Christ himself. (I did this once myself). When I did my own research, and kept my focus on what the message was/is (Christ), it all made perfect sense. What others do or don't do is of little concern to me.

Misha
    misha,

some of your points are, indeed, valid. i didn't mean christianity as a whole, but memebers of the faith that i personally have come in contact with. it has been my experience in recen years due to the people I have come in contact with that in order for me to be a "christian" i have to fit some mold. I am a very unconventional person. not only that, it seems as if religion has gotten incredibly political. (background info: i still belong to a southern baptist church that my family has belong to since before my mother was born. i'm non-practicing but i still have my membership there and doubt i will ever move it. in the five years that my husband and i have been together the only churches that i've attended have been those in which his family attended. As aforementioned, I assumed that these were also southern baptist churches, not fundamentalist churches as they just had "baptist" in their names.) The messages that these particular churches (and again, the people that claim to be christians) bring forth each Sunday morning was one of hatred, polarity, and an us vs. them mentality. It seems like to me that they (the members of the two churches -- hubby's mom goes to one and his brother and sister in law go to another in which SiL's father is the minister) seem to unite more under a banner of who can put themselves up on a higher pedistal and who can beat the door of the church down faster rather than any true meaning of faith and community. And I will have to say that I am one of those people who has been turned off by religion because of the actions of these particular people (although I do have a great relationship with my B&SiL as because they do not push their religion on me outside of church.) I watch people very carefully and I would see members proclaiming their faith and shouting about it from the rooftops, but they were really ugly people (inside). I have had some really horrible things happen to me over the past few months. And just because I pray silently and solitarily doesn't mean that I'm going to hell because I don't stand up and sing amazing grace in a church every sunday. I know this is the internet and none of you know me personally, but I don't have to preface every sentence with "i'm a good person" in real life because the people who know me know that I would do anything in my power to help someone. Hell, I'd give any of you the shirt off my back if you needed it. I believe in heaven and I think that in the end, that matters more than going to church every Sunday and then turning around and judging others for not going and talking about them behind their backs.

Impatience Guest
    oh, and on another note:

hubby was raised in the fundamentalist lifestyle his whole life -- he just didn't know that was what it was called. The first 11-12 years of his life he was terrified of the church that his mom and stepdad were members of. The rest of his teenage life was spent at a church that, while it was considerably less fanatical, the message was the same. His exact words are, "if it hadn't been shoved down my throat and if I felt like I had been given a choice maybe I would go now." He can recite the bible verse for verse but because it didn't matter if he were sick or dying (literally he had three ribs broken -- I can't remember if it were in football or wresting --and hadn't got back from the ER until 5am and was still made to go to church) he was forced to sit in church every sunday. it's a sore spot with him and i don't approach the subject often as he doesn't like to talk about the subject. so that's where he stands. just wanted to add that so that it's understood that i'm not the reason that he no longer goes to church.

Ms. K Guest

IMHO, snake handlers are a special kind of religious crazy.

There's a few places back home (I'm from Western Kentucky) where people handle snakes. And drink poison. And handle fire. As far as I'm concerned, they ain't right, but as far as they are concerned, they're following the Bible, and the rest of us are "heatherns".

Misha Guest
    Impatience,

Oh I understand what you mean! It's a shame that people can and do twist the message where it isn't about love anymore. It's about "My God can beat up your God," and, "You're wrong, I'm right, and you're Hellbound!" Like I said, about 10 years ago, I had a bad experience within a Methodist Church with the pastor who was downright mean and rude to me. So I left the whole "Christianity thing" behind for about five years before becoming Catholic. And thank God I met a Priest who really spoke to me and listened to me. But I do understand what your husband means too about having it 'shoved down his throat.' It shouldn't be that way either. People should show the love of Christ they have by their actions, and in the way they live their lives. That's why I say "Christianity" is more of a verb than it is a noun. Mother Teresa lived it, and she was instrumental in why I became Catholic.

Misha

Fujicakes Guest
    Other things I believe in:

-love
    -the sky being blue and ocean water being salty
    -humanity, in that it can be both a cruel and compassionate bunch
    -the fact that going outside every once in a while can be (literally and figuratively) a breath of fresh air
    -pain
    -death
    -being able to express oneself through artistic means

RodeoQueen Guest
    Here's a list of the 10 commandments from the NKJ version of the bible:

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV)
    1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
    2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
    3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
    4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
    5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
    6 “You shall not murder.
    7 “You shall not commit adultery.
    8 “You shall not steal.
    9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
    10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Many say that they believe the 10 commandments are a great guide for society to live by, but how many can actually name them, or have really thought about each one in detail? Personally, as someone who does not see any sort of deity as being humanity's arbiter or judge, I see no reason for us as a group to follow or base our laws on commandments 1-4 or really even #7(although I do not condone such behavior, it is really a private matter) or #10 (thoughts aren't a problem, actions are). After reading all of the commandments, do you truly feel that we should be subject to all of them, whether directly or by enshrining the ideas behind them in our legal codes (ex., "blue laws")? Please understand, I am making a general response to the idea that we as a society should follow these rules, not making a comment about the choices of religious private citizens who can worship as they please in our country.
    Last edited by RodeoQueen; 08-23-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Scientific Proof of a Higher Power

When I was in college I took a class on Scientific Theory and there was a section of the course that dealt with whether a higher power can be proved scientifically.

The basic premise of it was that there were evolutionary leaps that could not be explained in the theory of evolution. The example the teacher gave was the development of sight.

The gist of it is this: Evolution is pretty much a trial and error process over time where organisims evolve to better adapt to their surroundings or changes to it. With the eyeball, connection to the brain, and the processing of information there are many physical processes and chemical reactions that would have needed to come together simultaneously in order for sight to be achieved. How does an organism evolve several different physical and chemical connections at one time to succeed without knowing which one, if not all need to evolve in a different way to reach the goal?

Blows my mind everytime I think of it.

I think they call this irreducible complexity. It is a theory I strongly believe in.

I think they call this irreducible complexity. It is a theory I strongly believe in.
    Man, you couldn't be more right. I've never heard the term before (or forgot it if I did) and it fits what I was trying to say to the tee. Thank you for pointing that out.

Well, the most honest answer I can give is that I don't have clue.
    I think we are like the fish in the fishbowl, we know there is something out there, we bump up against it occasionally, but we don't know.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Yoko and me

I cannot believe I have missed this thread entirely all these years! It's good to see some healthy discussion with all sides having some great points.

I believe in the Holy Trinity, Heaven and Hell. I believe that "just being a good person" won't get you into heaven, only asking Christ to come into your heart will do that. I believe that ALL of us can go to heaven, not just the Baptists, Catholics, or whomever is screaming it this week. I believe the alcoholics, homosexuals, heterosexuals, prostitutes, drug addicts, etc are just as welcome there as the pious that are sitting on the front pew of church every Sunday.

That being said, I do NOT believe most of the rhetoric a lot of churches are spewing now a days. I don't believe in the us vs. them theory. I believe in Christ, who believes that we should be good to each other, treat each other with kindness, help the ones who can't help themselves, abide by the law of the land, and love everyone. Personally, I have such a problem with this because I don't like people in general. Most tend to get on my nerves, but that's my burden to carry. And I need to get over that.

I believe that anything over and above the 10 Commandments (which are the ONLY things in the Bible we are COMMANDED to do) is basically just the church's interpretation. And mine is just as good. Do I go to church? Sure I do. And most times I leave there and research what the preacher said to make sure it's right. But that's just me.

Can you get to heaven without church - yep, you sure can. See paragraph 1.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Personally, I have such a problem with this because I don't like people in general. Most tend to get on my nerves,
    Not to get off topic but I feel the same way. If I'm at the mall or somehwere where there are alot of random people I just get annoyed at some of the things people do, especially when it involves ignorant rudeness (like someone smoking near a baby). I have tried to be more tolerant though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Not to get off topic but I feel the same way. If I'm at the mall or somehwere where there are alot of random people I just get annoyed at some of the things people do, especially when it involves ignorant rudeness (like someone smoking near a baby). I have tried to be more tolerant though.
    I'm an extremely prejudice person. I'm prejudiced against stupidity and laziness. Unfortunately, being smack dab in the middle of Mississippi, I run into both quite often. It's so hard for me to "love" someone who's just too stupid to breathe. I struggle with that every day.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

stinkythejokedog Guest
    true randomness...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post

Yep, I know the feeling. Some friends of mine just coined a saying (well actually she was a bit tiddly from too much wine). She said "I just cant stand all the stupidy anymore"

So now we refer to ignorance/obliviousness as "stupidy"

We use it A LOT!

What Do You Believe In?

Me.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I cannot believe I have missed this thread entirely all these years! It's good to see some healthy discussion with all sides having some great points.

I believe in the Holy Trinity, Heaven and Hell. I believe that "just being a good person" won't get you into heaven, only asking Christ to come into your heart will do that. I believe that ALL of us can go to heaven, not just the Baptists, Catholics, or whomever is screaming it this week. I believe the alcoholics, homosexuals, heterosexuals, prostitutes, drug addicts, etc are just as welcome there as the pious that are sitting on the front pew of church every Sunday.

That being said, I do NOT believe most of the rhetoric a lot of churches are spewing now a days. I don't believe in the us vs. them theory. I believe in Christ, who believes that we should be good to each other, treat each other with kindness, help the ones who can't help themselves, abide by the law of the land, and love everyone. Personally, I have such a problem with this because I don't like people in general. Most tend to get on my nerves, but that's my burden to carry. And I need to get over that.

I believe that anything over and above the 10 Commandments (which are the ONLY things in the Bible we are COMMANDED to do) is basically just the church's interpretation. And mine is just as good. Do I go to church? Sure I do. And most times I leave there and research what the preacher said to make sure it's right. But that's just me.

Can you get to heaven without church - yep, you sure can. See paragraph 1.
    Thanks for summing up exactly how I feel. I am so disillusioned with organized religion.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Well... since everyone is going there lol.

I'm a Baptist but do not tow the company line to the T. My problem is I am usually highly annoyed by my fellow Christians for the most part. I was going to a Church with 1000+ members but I recently parted ways with them over my tattoos. Now I am attending a very small "Country" Church that is over 100 years old with a membership of less than 100. It is probably a bit more fire and brimstoney than most would prefer.

Where I think I am a bit different is I try very, very hard not to judge others. I hold a very fundamentalist belief in Christ's teaching that one of the best ways to incur the wrath of God is to judge others. I think this is where most Christians miss the boat.... and why so many non-Christians are turned off.

james1977 Guest

I Believe In Humanity

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    What Do You Believe In?

Me.
    Charles Bukowsky said " Everybody Always Wants To Be Something, Everybody Always Wants To Go Somewhere " . How about this World that we are in right now ? How about getting off of our fat Holy butts and making this world the best it can be ? Look up into the sky, there is nothing there. How can humanity be so stupid to believe in nothing. ? Like John Lennon said " There is nothing but sky." To me, just sky and human ego. Humanity is all we have. Who do we turn to for help. ? Doctors, The Police, Firemen, Lifeguards , Parents, Kids. Where is God And Jesus? Nowhere. How can people be so damn stupid. ? If we have a religion. It is a religion for humanity. Helping us and benefiting us. Everyone working together for the betterment of humanity. This is the only world there is. And damn right ,I know. Look up into the sky. There's nothing there. How can people be so stupid. ? I know most Christians will use their intelligence, what's left of it, to hang onto that ideology. I tried to find evidence, I read books, did thorough research. My conclusion. There is nothing. God is - Mother Nature, if you wanna call Mother Nature - a God. All of you who say things to defend your idiotic beliefs are just afraid to face the truth. Look up into the sky, what do you see. Nothing.

Kugmu Guest
    Yoko and me

Quote Originally Posted by james1977 View Post
    Charles Bukowsky said " Everybody Always Wants To Be Something, Everybody Always Wants To Go Somewhere " . How about this World that we are in right now ? How about getting off of our fat Holy butts and making this world the best it can be ? Look up into the sky, there is nothing there. How can humanity be so stupid to believe in nothing. ? Like John Lennon said " There is nothing but sky." To me, just sky and human ego. Humanity is all we have. Who do we turn to for help. ? Doctors, The Police, Firemen, Lifeguards , Parents, Kids. Where is God And Jesus? Nowhere. How can people be so damn stupid. ? If we have a religion. It is a religion for humanity. Helping us and benefiting us. Everyone working together for the betterment of humanity. This is the only world there is. And damn right ,I know. Look up into the sky. There's nothing there. How can people be so stupid. ? I know most Christians will use their intelligence, what's left of it, to hang onto that ideology. I tried to find evidence, I read books, did thorough research. My conclusion. There is nothing. God is - Mother Nature, if you wanna call Mother Nature - a God. All of you who say things to defend your idiotic beliefs are just afraid to face the truth. Look up into the sky, what do you see. Nothing.
    The remnants of the big bang, nothing more.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Anyone ever watch the very end of Men In Black? Makes you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOVUF-HaDw (at about :35)

doyleloyal Guest
    I have a very full thought proces on religious ideals because I don't go by what someone else says, I go by my heart, that's where my church is and I wouldn't have it any other way..

I'm into the ideas of karma, reincarnation, that we live beyond death (spirits), that there is many levels of life, magic in nature, that everything is sacred, that God and jesus are 2 different people,that no one one has it right and no one ever will, that in order to speak with whoever you believe in you don't need a church or a temple or whatever that you can speak to them anywhere, that mary totally had sex and gave birth to jesus (immaculate conception my ass), that mary magdalene was not a whore and she was kicked outta the bible, that the bible is just a big book or word of mouth wrote by man not god and it's just a bunch of christian aseop's fables, power in the elements and death is certainly not the end.

There's so many issues I have with christians anyways especially on topics like gay marriage(ur a f*n moron if you think gays don't have the right to love who they want to, love is free!) and abortion (in some situations there's no other option) and other issues that I don't wanna get into cuz i'll be here all day. I think the only thing I ever heard about religion/god all of it that I agree with entirely was from a very interesting and entertaining movie, u can guess if you want...

Rufus: "He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the shit that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.
    Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?
    Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant."

and that's all she wrote in my book

Well... since everyone is going there lol.

I'm a Baptist but do not tow the company line to the T. My problem is I am usually highly annoyed by my fellow Christians for the most part. I was going to a Church with 1000+ members but I recently parted ways with them over my tattoos. Now I am attending a very small "Country" Church that is over 100 years old with a membership of less than 100. It is probably a bit more fire and brimstoney than most would prefer.

Where I think I am a bit different is I try very, very hard not to judge others. I hold a very fundamentalist belief in Christ's teaching that one of the best ways to incur the wrath of God is to judge others. I think this is where most Christians miss the boat.... and why so many non-Christians are turned off.
    I try my best not to judge and most of the time, I'm pretty good at it. But when someone wants a handout and is too lazy to get off their butt to get it themselves (see my ex sister-in-law), it gets under my skin. And most days I can overlook stupidity (not ignorance - that's completely different) but some days.....

I try, but I don't always succeed.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    I have a very full thought proces on religious ideals because I don't go by what someone else says, I go by my heart, that's where my church is and I wouldn't have it any other way..

I'm into the ideas of karma, reincarnation, that we live beyond death (spirits), that there is many levels of life, magic in nature, that everything is sacred, that God and jesus are 2 different people,that no one one has it right and no one ever will, that in order to speak with whoever you believe in you don't need a church or a temple or whatever that you can speak to them anywhere, that mary totally had sex and gave birth to jesus (immaculate conception my ass), that mary magdalene was not a whore and she was kicked outta the bible, that the bible is just a big book or word of mouth wrote by man not god and it's just a bunch of christian aseop's fables, power in the elements and death is certainly not the end.

There's so many issues I have with christians anyways especially on topics like gay marriage(ur a f*n moron if you think gays don't have the right to love who they want to, love is free!) and abortion (in some situations there's no other option) and other issues that I don't wanna get into cuz i'll be here all day. I think the only thing I ever heard about religion/god all of it that I agree with entirely was from a very interesting and entertaining movie, u can guess if you want...

Rufus: "He still digs humanity, but it bothers Him to see the shit that gets carried out in His name - wars, bigotry, televangelism. But especially the factioning of all the religions. He said humanity took a good idea and, like always, built a belief structure on it.
    Bethany: Having beliefs isn't good?
    Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant."

and that's all she wrote in my book
    Well said.

doyleloyal Guest
    thanks T!

Katrinawitch Guest
    This is an interesting thread... I'm glad I wandered over here!

I was raised Lutheran, but church and Sunday School were much more of social thing for me. I drifted away from the church after I was confirmed.

As I got into my 20's, I became more pagan in my leanings. For instance, there is a divine force guiding us, but I'm not sure what form it takes. I think there is magic and energy in the universe, both bad and good, both masculine and feminine. I felt more in tune with the turning of the seasons, the outdoors, the planets, moon and stars. More in tune with the Earth (which is why I think I may have lived a past life on a farm in rural England, but that's another story!), but never felt really "god and goddessy", though.

Nowadays, well, I just don't know what I think! I'm a very spiritual person, but I lean more and more towards anti-organized-religion, I guess.

I don't mean to disrespect Christians and other believers, but in looking to the past, the greed, war and destruction that men have perpetrated in the name of God, well frankly, it disgusts me. Why is there so much horror in the world, horror that mankind does to each other? I don't really know if God would just sit by and let all of this happen in His name. Maybe that's why I'm not sure he exists in that form. And again, no disrespect meant, but I think the Bible was written by men to suit their own ends. One of the larger religious groups owns priceless works of art, property, buildings, all worth many, many millions of dollars, yet so many of their followers are barely living, in horrible conditions in very poor countries. Why is that? Every religion has their own version of a holy book, and everyone thinks theirs is "the one true word". What if none of them are?

But I do truly believe in an afterlife, a blissful place where souls are reunited with loved ones who have passed on, but more of a mass energy or consciousness. Maybe it's different for everyone. The only sure thing is that nobody truly knows.

Like Albus Dumbledore, I do believe that, "to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure"!