Thread: Alan J. Pakula - Directed Sophie's Choice & The Pelican Brief

Jack Raines Guest

Alan J. Pakula - Directed Sophie's Choice & The Pelican Brief

Alan Jay Pakula (April 7, 1928 â?? November 19, 1998) was an American film director, writer and producer noted for his contributions to the conspiracy thriller genre.

Pakula died in 1998 in a bizarre car accident on the Long Island Expressway in Melville, New York at the age of 70. A driver in front of him struck a metal pipe, which went through Pakula's windshield, striking him in the head and causing him to swerve off the road and into a fence. He was killed instantly.

Pakula started his Hollywood career as an assistant in the cartoon department at Warner Brothers. In 1962, he produced To Kill a Mockingbird, for which he was nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award. In 1969, he directed his first feature, The Sterile Cuckoo, starring Liza Minnelli.
    In 1971, Pakula released the first installment of what would informally come to be known as his "paranoia trilogy". Klute, the story of a private eye's relationship with a call girl (played by Jane Fonda, who won an Oscar for her performance). This was followed in 1974 by The Parallax View starring Warren Beatty, in 1976, Pakula rounded out the "trilogy" with All the President's Men, based on the bestselling account of the Watergate scandal written by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, who were played in the movie by Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman.

Pakula scored another hit in 1982 with Sophie's Choice, starring Meryl Streep. His screenplay, based on the novel by William Styron, was nominated for an Academy Award. Later commercial successes included Presumed Innocent, based on the bestselling novel by Scott Turow, and another political thriller, The Pelican Brief, an adaptation of John Grisham's bestseller.

Pakula was born in New York to Polish Jewish parents Jeanette (née Goldstein) and Paul Pakula.[2] He was educated at Yale University, where he majored in drama. From October 19, 1963 to 1971, Pakula was married to actress Hope Lange. He was married to Hannah Cohn Boorstin in 1973, until his death.

insanejeff Guest
    What a freak accident. I'm ashamed to say I've only seen a couple of his films, but All the President's Men is superb.

ShatteredMirror Guest
    That death sounds like something out of Don't Look Now or The Omen.

I just saw All the President's Men on tv last night enjoyed
    watching it a lot
    I remember reading that the singer Harry Chapin was also killed
    in a kind of strange car crash on the Long Island expressway too.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Klute scares the crap out of me to this day...damn what a great movie. Pakula was a master.

Jazbabee Guest
    Sounds like a bizarre death out of a slasher horror movie.....not too pretty

Noelle Page Guest
    All those edgy 70s pix.....love that whole genre. Kudos, Mr. P.

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    Sophia's Choice.. One of the BEST movies ever..

RubySlippers Guest
    hey i remember when he died... CRAZY. it always freaks me out when the truck in front of me is carrying potentially deadly items. I think, what if.....

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    hey i remember when he died... CRAZY. it always freaks me out when the truck in front of me is carrying potentially deadly items. I think, what if.....
    ...ever see the movie Final Destination 2 ??
    Pakula's bizarre death brought that back to me, after seeing the film I refuse to drive behind any truck carrying anything. ..

Meow Guest
    Klute played on TV tonight. Another great film for which Jane Fonda won the Oscar for lead actress. So as is my habit I googled the principles and discovered not only that the director had a rather distinguished career with many critically acclaimed films to his credit but also that he met his end in such a freakish and startling manner. Of note with regards to Klute is Jean Stapleton's appearance as a secretary in one of scenes. She would of course achieve household name status as Edith Bunker in All in the Family debuting in the same year as Klute's release (1971).