Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen or heard something really tacky at a funeral?

attackatdawn Guest

Have you ever seen or heard something really tacky at a funeral?

My parents went to a funeral once for a man who shot himself in the chest. Ahead of them in the line to see the man at visitation, the town's gossip and all around busy body had the balls to pull down the man shirt so she could see the entrance hole!

A few years ago my husband had been really sick and lost way too much weight. At the cemetary of a funeral for my husband's uncle. Dan's (my hubby) sister said really loud to Dan "You had better watch it or you will be put in the ground next!" Now this was said in a moment of prayer for the deceased, it really pissed me off so I hollared at her after the service. You can care about your relatives but I just thought this was a really, really bad time to be yelling that at someone elses funeral!

onehunglow Guest
    When I woked at the funeral home we had a family come in and one drunk wanted his picture taken in the box next to his brother. He damn near knocked it over before his crew got him out. That was it.

scarletfever1971 Guest

Yeah

Falling asleep and snoring. (it wasn't me)

4. 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Gardner32 Guest
    Uhm, I had a laughing fit at my mother's funeral. Does that count? I hear it's very common.

onehunglow Guest
    On my part I took LSD and went to a funeral. That was a bad trip. I was 17 and stupid. My Sister got me out of there as she knew I dropped the tab. Good thing, I was seeing the box move.

Guest Guest
    My niece 6 yrs old was killed in a accident, my oldest brother which is it that was his daughter brought his nasty ass girlfriend to the funeral. When she walked into the funeral home, what she was wearing was unbelievable. A tight mini skirt with a low cut top that barely covered her nipples. Now lemme tell you this chick is NOT attractive.She went over to the water fountain , bent over and OMFG, she wasn't wearing panties. Everyone in that room got an eye full. Men & women were ready to get sick, including me. I pulled her aside and told her to stay in the car cause she was not properly dressed for a funeral.

onehunglow Guest

Now that is just sick

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    My niece 6 yrs old was killed in a accident, my oldest brother which is it that was his daughter brought his nasty ass girlfriend to the funeral. When she walked into the funeral home, what she was wearing was unbelievable. A tight mini skirt with a low cut top that barely covered her nipples. Now lemme tell you this chick is NOT attractive.She went over to the water fountain , bent over and OMFG, she wasn't wearing panties. Everyone in that room got an eye full. Men & women were ready to get sick, including me. I pulled her aside and told her to stay in the car cause she was not properly dressed for a funeral.
    That is beyond sick.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    This woman I know, she attended her ex-husband's funeral and sent flowers. Then, she submitted the flowers bill for payment in his estate. Tacky!! At the same said funeral, a group of bikers he knew (he died in a motorcycle accident) showed up at the graveyard service and took his dog who was there with his children, and drove off with the dog, never to be seen again.

Mamma Guest
    My uncle died of an annurism many years ago. A sudden death of course, and he was a popular business owner in the area, so his wake and funeral were pretty big as far as attendance went. And the politicians that election year knew it too. So they showed up in droves, passing out their campaign cards and pamphlets. One fool who later ran for parish/county president (and lost) was talking politics during the 21 gun salute.

At another memorial service, actually it was more like a benefit to raise money for the family of the children who died, one lady running for judge showed up in her campaign shirt, and campaign truck with her name on the big sign in back. Going up to everybody, shaking their hand telling them who she was and why she was running for judge, and oh by the way "I'm real sorry these kids were killed by a train." I didn't vote for her.

She won.

~Mamma

carrieann Guest
    At my aunt's funeral some idiot had on his bluetooth the entire time and didnt hestitate to have conversations before and during the ceremony.

Guest Guest
    tackiest moment at a funeral...hmmmmm???? which one? there are so many

back in 95 a good friend of mine was an innocent victim of a drive by shooting...the news crews were allowed to film the preacher at the service fore the evening news but not the family or my friend in his casket...not only did they film the family/friends but they zoomed in and "cataloged" things that were placed in his casket with him

8 months later another news crew just happened to be present at that friends wife's funeral (she killed herself) they weren't there for her but for a rape that had taken place at the cemetery...we were at the graveside and they were doing their report about 40 yards away...we started to sing amazing grace at the graveside and one of their people came over and asked us not to sing anymore until they were done filming!!!

at that same funeral this woman (an aquaintance) shows up drunk wearing a see through red shirt with black bra underneath and red jeans with black chaps! and carried on like there was no tomorrow...she didn't even know Dar's last name until she died! Afterwards at the wake she brought out Tarot cards and insisted she was communicating with Dar...she was asked to leave and had to be led out of the family home.

my ex in laws lost their little boy last Christmas Eve morning...he was 22 months old and died of neuroblastoma...a woman who's daughter had also been ill and was in children's hospital with him had brought 22 mylar balloons to release at the grave...first and foremost the family should have all had balloons..then all the sick kids that came..but this other woman grabbed 5 or 6 of them and headed to her car...I watched her putting the balloons in the car..I approached her and asked her what she was doing? She said well I'm taking those home to my kids! I said ah uh no you're not! those are to be released at the graveside...she then starting F bombing up one side and down the other...I let her give it to me while another family member grabbed the balloons from her open car door...she threatened to call the police and was asked by funeral home staff to leave or the police would be called on her...she was jumping up and down saying "where are my balloons..Jameson wanted me to take them he told me so!" No one in the family recognized her and we wonder if she was one of those people that read obits and show up at funerals...crazy

I know I have more tacky stories but too many to post at this time...I'll add more later

RoRo Guest
    My tackiest funeral moment came at my daddy's funeral...he had been sick for years, not wasting away, he had heart/lung problems. He died very suddenly, but at the funeral my stepmonster was telling everyone how he had a hard death and suffered so badly etc, etc. I talked to his dr and he told me my daddy had some chest pains when he got to the ER and then he had a massive heart attack that killed him.He told me he did suffer but not that long before he was unconsious (sp), my stepmonster was making out like he lay there screaming for hours even to my grandma! I told her later that she would go to hell for tormenting my daddy's family that way

deathybrad Guest
    My uncle (and his crazy trailer trash girlfriend) showed up smelling so bad that no one would sit within a chair of them and my uncle road in the limo with us to the cemetery (maybe 2 miles) we were all willing to fore go the air conditioning (August 15th) to roll down the windows AND the estate had to pay to have the limo detailed to get rid of the stench.

endsleigh03 Guest
    My niece didn't turn off her cell phone at my stepdads funeral, and it began to ring in the middle of the eulogy
    Of course it was at the bottom of her very large purse.

SW4 Guest
    In this case, the tackiness may have been on MY side....

After a long and painful illness my wife died of respiratory failure brought on by lung cancer. I can't count how many people asked, "did she smoke"?

Finally, at the funeral, someone asked "the" question. My answer? "I don't know..I wasn't at the crematorium...."

My close friends smiled and gave me a pat on the back....the "well-wishers" NEVER asked the question again

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SW4 View Post

After a long and painful illness my wife died of respiratory failure brought on by lung cancer. I can't count how many people asked, "did she smoke"?

Finally, at the funeral, someone asked "the" question. My answer? "I don't know..I wasn't at the crematorium...."

My close friends smiled and gave me a pat on the back....the "well-wishers" NEVER asked the question again
    Good answer...
    And funny.

monhol Guest
    my grandfather died when i was 15. i helped my grandmother take of him. my grandfather was born in 1898 so his other grandchildren are old enough to be my parents. actually 2 of my 1st cousins went to high school with my mom and both could be my dad's sister and brother and not neice and nephew. anyhow at my grandfathers funeral i was holding my grand mothers hand when we got out the limo. my older cousin was walking around me tryimg to take my grand ma from me but i did not notice my father did. so we went in ,me not knowing what is happening, i put my grand mother in a chair and sat next to her. my cousin was actually trying to get infront of me to get to my grand mother. my dad's girlfriend told me when we got back to the house for the repass. my point,that was so tacky, my cousin never did a damn thing for my grandfather or even gave him a glass of water. my cousin was trying to act like wonderful grandchild. knowing she did not even go to see my grandparents at all. i lived in the house with my grandparents. so i know none of the other grandkids even showed up to help feed or clothe my bedridden grandfather.

OBX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    Uhm, I had a laughing fit at my mother's funeral. Does that count? I hear it's very common.
    When I was 20 and had just met my future wife, her brother's friend was killed in a hunting accident. I had to go to the wake, but I knew no one but her and I guess the tension just blew up out of me. I spent the entire time outside the funeral home watching people smoke. Nervous laughter is my bain.

Also, I mentioned this on another thread, but at my father's funeral, he was laid out in his new sweater. His brother said that he would love the sweater, so before the body was pushed into the crematorium, the funeral people pulled it off the body and gave it to my uncle. My uncle was thrilled and couldn't wait to wear it and tell people where he got it from.

Mamma Guest
    OBX ~ It should not have been done so crudely. I'm sorry to hear about ther sweater incident.

I commonly hear this, however, from the parents of a child they've lost. Very commonly, parents place many things within the childs casket. A favorite teddy bear, toy, drawings, all sorts of things that the child was known for. After the service and before the casket is sealed, those toys are usually taken out at the parents request for their own term of endearment.

I can't count how many parents I have met in my life who truly regret leaving that favorite toy in the casket after burial. Something like that is not tackiest in the least. However, the sweater incident should not have been done that way, so crudely. Sounds off to me as well.

~Mamma

Quote Originally Posted by SW4 View Post

I'm with endsleigh. I think that was a great answer to a very tacky question. Who care if she smoked? She died. They should be saying "I'm sorry." or some version of that. So, good for you! Shut them up, didn't?

kelbons Guest
    Speaking of the nervous laughter, we had an "incident" at my grandmother's calling hours in 1997...

Gram was a member of the American Legion auxilary and they did a small ceremony at the wake. They all gathered around the casket and all of the family members were behind the ladies as they did their thing with the poppies, etc. Well, directly in front of me, my cousin and my aunt stood this lady named Barb. My Gram always called her "Curly-Q" becuase of the ridiculous hairdo that she had. She was nuts, too. Anyhoo, Curly-Q had a hairpin hanging from her ass. We noticed it and oh my God... we all lost it!! We are all trying to stifle our laughter, but weren't that successful. My aunt Judy gets laughing so har she's crying; I'm pretty sure that most people just thought she was moved by the ceremony...

pvezz Guest
    I seriously think I would have kicked the SHIT out of the asshole talking on his bluetooth!!! WTF is wrong with people?????

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Speaking of the sweater incident, do you remember that episode of Maude where Maude had loaned her mother's pin to her neighbor, Rue McClanahan. Rue had then loaned it carelessly to some other lady and they both forgot. Until that lady croaked and Maude and Rue are at the funeral and notice Maude's pin is on the dead lady. Maude fakes like she's sobbing and leaning over the body and takes the pin and no one notices. Then she and Rue decide that they need to put it back and fell bad, when of course they are caught.

djdeath-hag Guest
    There's a tacky funeral thing that I've been dying to try out. We Southern folks are known for asking questions. I cannot tell you how many weddings I've attended where some well meaning old biddy will walk up & ask me, "are you next?" (Meaning am I ever gonna get married.) If only one of these old broads would happen to croak soon after this Q&A....so I could walk around the room at the wake....Are YOU next?

Tyler77 Guest
    My grandfather died at the age of 92 in August 1998, and my cousin spoke at his funeral. Mind you, neither he nor his family NEVER visited him while he was living with us (grandpa lived his entire life in Italy until 1994 when he came to live with us), yet proceeded to gush about how grandpa was a funny, vibrant man. I was like "WTF?" But you have to understand my cousin MUST have the center of attention if there's a gathering of people. At the end of the funeral I told my cousin that he was a d*ckhead and that he had a big ol' zit on his forehead.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    When I worked at an excavation company, one of the gravel train drivers died suddenly. His ex wife of over twenty years showed up at the funeral and speaks and declares, "Me and Jimmy was gonna get married again this summer." Well, that was news to his seven year live in girlfriend. Then, his twenty something daughter gets up to speaks and says, "Daddy was the only one who came to visit me in prison." Oh, and she was dressed like she was desperate and hitting the bar at last call to find Mr. Right Now.

I worked in the office and handled insurance issues and come to find out, he had never updated his beneficiaries on his 401(k) or his $25,000 life insurance policy. Both were still in his ex-wife's name.

Then it got really ugly. The ex wife, ever though she got this huge hunk of cash she knew damn well he didn't intend for her to have, wouldn't pay for the funeral, wouldn't help his girlfriend, kicked her out of the house. It went on and on and on like a real live Springer episode. No idea how it turned out, I left in the meantime.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    My uncle (and his crazy trailer trash girlfriend) showed up smelling so bad that no one would sit within a chair of them and my uncle road in the limo with us to the cemetery (maybe 2 miles) we were all willing to fore go the air conditioning (August 15th) to roll down the windows AND the estate had to pay to have the limo detailed to get rid of the stench.
    That is soo awful!! DISGUSTING!!!

Belle Guest

Asking for help opening food in front of the coffin

I wasn't there, but my aunt & uncle took my daughter to her great-grandmother's funeral. My daughter was 2 or 3 years old at the time and somebody had given her some packaged food item. She asked some person she did not know who was kneeling in front of the casket during the viewing if they could please open her food. I'm fairly sure the child was polite about it. However, Great Grandma ALWAYS wanted ALL the attention for herself, and I'm SURE she wasn't pleased about it.

Reecy Guest

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    My parents went to a funeral once for a man who shot himself in the chest. Ahead of them in the line to see the man at visitation, the town's gossip and all around busy body had the balls to pull down the man shirt so she could see the entrance hole!
    That is so sick!

I've seen people like this at funeral homes. One time a boy I knew died young. He drowned and when they took his body out of the water he was so messed up that the funeral could not have his body viewed. So some tacky people who were the first ones to go to the wake tried to open the coffin and suceeded. The mortician in charge had laid this white cardboard on top of the boy's body so he was underneath. It was possibly nailed shut. The few people who came in early were screaming because those people tried to open the cardboard section and they didn't suceed. Shame!

knothere Guest
    at my Dads funeral (no not close at all)
    my crasey sister was talkin away to him out loud n carrying on a long converstaion n patting his hands n laffing n crying n when she kissed his forhead I stayed outside smokin till I had to be back inside

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieann View Post
    At my aunt's funeral some idiot had on his bluetooth the entire time and didnt hestitate to have conversations before and during the ceremony.
    Don't those headsets use batteries?

Just rip it off his head, take the battery out, and hand the headset back to him sans battery.

If they don't happen to use batteries, just rip it off his head and throw it it as far as you can. Or drag him behind something (so as not to disturb the proceedings) and stuff it up his ass, your choice.

If someone is too stupid to figure out what the word "respect" means, they don't deserve any.
    Last edited by ST Moron; 11-01-2007 at 11:00 PM.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    Cool: you solved the problem without making a scene. Nice one. [gives "thumbs up" sign]

Laura1020 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    There's a tacky funeral thing that I've been dying to try out. We Southern folks are known for asking questions. I cannot tell you how many weddings I've attended where some well meaning old biddy will walk up & ask me, "are you next?" (Meaning am I ever gonna get married.) If only one of these old broads would happen to croak soon after this Q&A....so I could walk around the room at the wake....Are YOU next?
    LOVE it! You have to do that at the next wake!

On that same vein wasn't there a joke or a stand-up routine where a young woman goes to a wedding and one of her old biddy aunts starts poking her in the side saying, "You're next!", and then the next week one of the ladies die and the young woman goes up to the old biddy from the wedding and says to her, "Your'e next!"?

Laura1020 Guest
    My cousin was killed in a car accident in 1993. She was only 19 years old. She was a child of divorce, and lived with her father. They lived in a fairly well do to suburb about 25 miles southwest of Chicago. My cousin's friends were all rich snobby bitches who were only friends with my cousin because she looked good and got everything she asked for. My cousin was the most gorgeous person ever put on this earth, and because of the divorce, her mom gave her everything. Anyway, at my cousin's wake, this group of friends (3 girls) walks into the funeral home all dressed alike with matching sunglasses. (It was a cold and rainy October day) They proceed up to the casket, start acting hysterical, and PULL MY COUSIN UP AND OUT OF THE CASKET! I'm not kidding. The top half of the casket was half hanging off the pedistal and my cousin was in their arms. It was just terrible. This was a bad death for our entire family and these three idiots only made it worse.

mike Guest
    I know of a comedian who said about being at a family members funeral and the preacher said "lets all have a moment of silents"and everyone heard this "psss"His Uncle was opening a can of beer.LOL

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I know of a comedian who said about being at a family members funeral and the preacher said "lets all have a moment of silents"and everyone heard this "psss"His Uncle was opening a can of beer.LOL

A similar thing happened at my mother's funeral. Everything went well until one of my cousin's daughters (head representative of the lower end of our family gene pool) showed up...late, wearing overalls and dragging a liter of Pepsi which she proceeded to pop open during the service. She was lucky I was in the family area on the other side of the room .
    Last edited by BeeCee; 02-01-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Lisamarie Guest
    At my beloved grandmother funeral my two spoiled cousins started playing gameboy with the sound on, and another time we were at a good friends wife funeral as she died of cancer and the outfits these gilrs were wearing you needed to hairdos to wear..I couldent belive it! I was like wtf??? It was like they were clubbing or something.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I'd forgotten about this (selective amnesia I think) but my stepdads family and my family did not get along. Years of animosity. At the funeral one of his grandaughters tried to pry his ring off his finger while he was lying in the casket. She was the last one up there and the person who went next was like WTF? She wasn't able to pry it off, so the ring slid up to the knuckle and got stuck there. Disgusting.

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post

A few years ago my husband had been really sick and lost way too much weight. At the cemetary of a funeral for my husband's uncle. Dan's (my hubby) sister said really loud to Dan "You had better watch it or you will be put in the ground next!" Now this was said in a moment of prayer for the deceased, it really pissed me off so I hollared at her after the service. You can care about your relatives but I just thought this was a really, really bad time to be yelling that at someone elses funeral!
    I read that OJ did this to Nicole, tried to see her throat. Guess that first hand view wasn't enough for him or he wanted to see the repair to his handy work.

ComputerGuy Guest
    A Fight between two brothers during their fathers funeral. The mother was spitting on the casket

one of my co-workers children all wore cut off blue jeans and t shirts to his visitation,and a friend of mine who had just lost her husband,lost her mother 10 days later. the relatives serving as pall bearers looked as if their shirts had been wadded up in a sock drawer for decades. at least they had on ties.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    My cousin was killed in a car accident in 1993. She was only 19 years old. She was a child of divorce, and lived with her father. They lived in a fairly well do to suburb about 25 miles southwest of Chicago. My cousin's friends were all rich snobby bitches who were only friends with my cousin because she looked good and got everything she asked for. My cousin was the most gorgeous person ever put on this earth, and because of the divorce, her mom gave her everything. Anyway, at my cousin's wake, this group of friends (3 girls) walks into the funeral home all dressed alike with matching sunglasses. (It was a cold and rainy October day) They proceed up to the casket, start acting hysterical, and PULL MY COUSIN UP AND OUT OF THE CASKET! I'm not kidding. The top half of the casket was half hanging off the pedistal and my cousin was in their arms. It was just terrible. This was a bad death for our entire family and these three idiots only made it worse.
    ok if this were my cousin I would be beatin someone's ass! multiplied by 3!

This was a great thread to read again!

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    This was a great thread to read again!
    Or for the first time!

I'll add mine....when my ex husband's foster mother died everyone was outside smoking after the viewing and some woman I'd never seen before, who was wearing a tank top, jeans and flip flops, began flirting with my husband. I walked/waddled up, 9 months pregnant, and she took one look at me and stopped mid sentence and hightailed it out of there.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Good for you, Jenny! Why oh WHY do some folks think that a funeral is a good place for a hook up???

My favorite memory of a funeral that I worked was that of a man whose wife had put him out of everyone's misery with a large caliber bullet in the chest. She made his arrangements as soon as she was released from jail.....seems his past history of having beaten his previous wife to death with a hammer. Anyhow, her BIGGEST concern was asking my boss' wife (who was also petite) where she could buy an appropriate black dress. She arrived in said lil black dress for the services....during which she read a GodAwful poem that she'd written just for her late husband. She had him buried on their farm......and the following year sold it!

mike Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    ok if this were my cousin I would be beatin someone's ass! multiplied by 3!
    I agree to that.

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Good for you, Jenny! Why oh WHY do some folks think that a funeral is a good place for a hook up???

My favorite memory of a funeral that I worked was that of a man whose wife had put him out of everyone's misery with a large caliber bullet in the chest. She made his arrangements as soon as she was released from jail.....seems his past history of having beaten his previous wife to death with a hammer. Anyhow, her BIGGEST concern was asking my boss' wife (who was also petite) where she could buy an appropriate black dress. She arrived in said lil black dress for the services....during which she read a GodAwful poem that she'd written just for her late husband. She had him buried on their farm......and the following year sold it!
    For some reason I wish you had a copy of the poem to share.

Jaxxx Guest
    At my nephew's funeral, his coked up wife who killed him was allowed to attend the funeral, police in tow, got up and started to speak, or ramble whichever. After her 5 minutes of not knowing where she was or why she really was there, I finally got up and whispered she had a right to remain silent. She just stopped and said oh, I think I'm being arrested and they escorted her back out. Stupid slime bitch.

miamore73 Guest
    My mom married this guy (really nice guy) about 5 years ago or so. They were only married a year because the man was shot and killed. So at his funeral so many tacky things happened. The preacher kept saying his name wrong. It got so bad that the audience was correcting him. There was a crackhead looking cousing or something that walked around DURING the entire ceremony taking pictures. What was worse is that her heels kept clicking on the floor. So you heard click clack all through the entire service.

Yeah, they showed up.