Thread: Toby Wing

Guest Guest

Smile Toby Wing

Toby Wing (July 14, 1915, Amelia Courthouse, Virginia – March 22, 2001, Mathews, Virginia) was an American actress and showgirl.

Born Martha Virginia Wing, she began working onscreen at age 9 (her father was Paul Wing, an assistant director at Paramount). In 1931 she became one of the first Goldwyn Girls, and in 1932 she was seen in Mack Sennett-produced comedies made by Paramount, one starring Bing Crosby. The stunning round-faced platinum blonde, statuesque and smiling, made an impression with producers and moviegoers but she seldom broke through to leading roles. Many of her roles were small and barely clothed (at least before the 1934 Production Code kicked in), but she became widely recognized as a sex symbol, even rivaling such stars as Claudette Colbert and Marlene Dietrich. Since her contracted studio was mired in bankruptcy during much of her career, the bulk of her most notable work was done on loan, primarily at Warner Brothers and later, after her release, on extremely low budget efforts on a per-film basis. Toby enjoyed a far more successful sideline doing product endorsements and was featured in a dizzying array of fan magazines from 1933-38. She was also known offscreen for her many whirlwind romances, and was linked to Jackie Coogan, Maurice Chevalier, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jr.

Toby Wing did play a few leading roles in B features and short subjects. In 1936 and 1937 she worked opposite singer-songwriter Pinky Tomlin in two of his low budget musical features, With Love and Kisses and Sing While You're Able. The two stars were engaged briefly during late 1937, and their affection shows in the finished films. Although the Tomlin-Wing romance ran its course, the two remained close until Tomlin's death.

Her last leading role was in a quickie feature, The Marines Come Thru (filmed in Florida in 1938, but not seeing general release until 1942 as Fight On, Marines!). She retired from movies after marrying famed pilot Dick Merrill, 22+ years her senior, in 1938. Toby rounded out her acting career on Broadway in the notable Cole Porter flop, "You Never Know" that starred Lupe Velez, Clifton Webb, Libby Holman and Harold Murray. The couple retired to DiLido, Florida, where Dick was assigned Eastern Airlnes' New York- Miami route for the remainder of his career. She then became successful in real estate in California and Florida. Wing and Merrill later settled back in Virginia, where they lived together until Dick's death in 1982.

Toby and Dick had two sons, sadly out living both. Their first child died of what was then-termed as "Crib Death" and her second son, Ricky, was murdered in their Miami home in September, 1982 at age 42. The death was related to his involvement in a large scale marijuana smuggling operation in New Orleans. At the time of his death he free on appeal of a drug smuggling conviction. The Merrills were living in Virginia at the time and the case is still listed as unsolved.

Her father, who was a career Army officer, was reactivated for service prior to WW2 and was captured by the Japanese in the Philippines in 1942. He survived the infamous Bataan Death March and was later rescued in the Cabanatuan Raid by U.S. Army Rangers and Filipino guerillas, a story told in 2005's The Great Raid. Paul Wing died in 1957.

The couple was survived by 2 granddaughters and Ricky's estranged wife, Hella.

Her sister, Pat Wing (Gill) (1916-2002) was also an actress/chorus girl, who largely worked for Warner Brothers.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Horrible to outlive your children.. no parent should be put through that Reminds me a bit of Harlow at least in your pic Vlad...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toby Wing Flawless Complexion.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	9209  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

You know I've never have seen any of her films. What I recall about her is having viewed MISS WING in many many photographs in the mid 1930s at Hollywood gatherings. She was very much a social animal and apparently well liked. There are some neat pictures of her with various stars at a shindig that CAROLE LOMBARD threw on the Santa Monica Pier one night circa 1935.
    I do know that WING had been engaged to actor
    JACKIE (Uncle Fester) COOGAN before he married BETTY GRABLE.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

Northern Lights Guest

slw Guest
    Give her darker hair and she reminds me of a teen Shirley Temple!

growl Guest
    She was adorable. Didn't those old publicity photographer have some strange ideas for their photos?
    I do love looking at the fashions!
    Too bad about her children. sounds like she had a good long marriage, though.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by growl View Post
    She was adorable. Didn't those old publicity photographer have some strange ideas for their photos?
    I do love looking at the fashions!
    Too bad about her children. sounds like she had a good long marriage, though.
    Yep, some of the old publicity photos are hilarious! I wonder if the ladies felt a little silly? I bet they did!

Omerta Guest
    She looks adorable. Not a conventional beauty but very compelling.

Here's Toby striking a very Mae West pose...

Wow! She was a "real looker" as they said in days of yore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!