Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki

Danny62 Guest

Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki

You can read all about it here. Way to much info for me to delve into:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_...a_and_Nagasaki

I guess my question is do you think it was right?

And I don't mean by 21st Century thinking!

We need to go back to the 1940's. Estimates were we would have lost over one million americans if we invaded Japan.

Japan did not believe in surrender.

If you were a POW in Japan the Geneva convention didn't mean anything.

They would perform experiments on POWS! Cutting into them while they were alive, injecting horse blood into them.

Starved them. Made them work until they dropped dead!!

I can go on and on of the barbaric things they did!!

Look at the Bataan Death March!!

So folks for me at the time I think it was the right thing to do!!!

onehunglow Guest

Read this

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhis...de/nanking.htm

That is only a part of it. They made the parents pick a child to cook. If the Father did not pick one the killed them all. He was also expected to kill, gut and clean the child before cooking the meal. If they did not eat, they died.

poppie Guest
    I was a young girl when President Truman authorized the use of these bombs. Japan did not surrender immediately, even after the second bomb was dropped. It has been said that General LeMay had the third atomic bomb ready to go, but Japan finally gave it up. Hideko Tojo was a General in the Army and also Priminister of Japan during the war years. The Japanese military were probably more brutal than is recorded. The Rape of Nanking occurred in 1937-1938. This event shows the real brutality that Japan was capable of inflicting on those they considered their enemies.
    The atomic bombs caused lots of conversation, good and bad, but IMO, it was the thing to do. The actual number of lives saved, on both sides, is a fantastic and huge number.

Danny62 Guest
    I heard the third one was a bluff. We didn't have another atomic bomb ready yet!?

Anyone know for sure??

I know one thing don't ever ask a living survivor from world war II what they think!!!!!

Paul Tibbett's who flew the first mission is still alive!!

magblax Guest
    I recently watched a great documentary on this called White Light/Black Rain. From a human aspect it was a real tragic and awful thing. But from a war standpoint it served it's purpose.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    One big bomb in one moment, or 1000 little bombs over a week?

What's the difference? Except the one bomb scared them enough to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    I recently watched a great documentary on this called White Light/Black Rain. From a human aspect it was a real tragic and awful thing. But from a war standpoint it served it's purpose.
    My son and I watched that mag....it was heart wrenching. I had heard the stories and somewhat paid attention in high school history but never really understood the effect until watching that documentary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    You can read all about it here. Way to much info for me to delve into:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_...a_and_Nagasaki

[SIZE=4]I guess my question is do you think it was right?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]NO QUESTION; [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]YES, IT WAS THE APPROPRIATE ACTION NEEDED.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]IT CAME DOWN TO THEM or US. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]THEY WERE CRUEL BARBARIC CRETINS.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]THEY STARTED IT & WE FINISHED IT ! [/SIZE]

onehunglow Guest
    Funny, after a people of war for 2000 years they now make the best racing motorcycles, cars, trucks and machines. I don't think they build tanks.

Carrie Guest
    Boy, we had massive balls back then....when did they shrink?

poppie Guest
    Danny - Anyone who worked for General LeMay can tell you this man was as serious as cancer. Personally, I don't think another bomb was a bluff. If LeMay said we had another one, I would wager we did.

onehunglow Guest

Yes he was

Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Danny - Anyone who worked for General LeMay can tell you this man was as serious as cancer. Personally, I don't think another bomb was a bluff. If LeMay said we had another one, I would wager we did.
    Truman made a huge mistake by not taking Stalin out as well. As you know Uncle Joe convinced China (after becoming Coms) to attack Korea. Truman made the mistake of saying he would not use the bomb again. Eik was elected and he sent word that the bomb would fall if the war didn't end. It stopped.

Also Truman had the choice of a form of airborn rabies that had been developed. Given the option that this virus may get out of control he picked the bomb. I had an Uncle who was in the Air Force who had many secrets. When he got old he couldn't stop talking. He had nothing to lose.
    Last edited by onehunglow; 10-30-2007 at 07:58 AM.

Gardner32 Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post

That is only a part of it. They made the parents pick a child to cook. If the Father did not pick one the killed them all. He was also expected to kill, gut and clean the child before cooking the meal. If they did not eat, they died.

After I read this website, I think we did the right thing.

Gardner32 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Boy, we had massive balls back then....when did they shrink?

My thinking exactly, we could be out of this war in no time, Iraq, Iran, are you listening?

onehunglow Guest

Send the subs

Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    My thinking exactly, we could be out of this war in no time, Iraq, Iran, are you listening?
    A pain in the ass turned into glass.

onehunglow Guest

I'm glad you read it

Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    After I read this website, I think we did the right thing.
    Not many can imagine it that it was real.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilina View Post
    My son and I watched that mag....it was heart wrenching. I had heard the stories and somewhat paid attention in high school history but never really understood the effect until watching that documentary.

I thought the same thing. In school it was just another story but when your hear from survivors the devistation and long term effects that the bombs caused it was really heartbreaking.

18. 10-30-2007, 11:05 AM

ST Moron Guest
    Paul Tibbett's who flew the first mission is still alive!!
    Death Hag Alert: Tibbets snuffed it three days after you wrote the above (he died on Nov 1).

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Personally, I don't think another bomb was a bluff. If LeMay said we had another one, I would wager we did.
    Apparently the US did, but it wasn't ready for deployment just yet:

The United States expected to have another atomic bomb ready for use in the third week of August, with three more in September and a further three in October. On August 10, Major General Leslie Groves, military director of the Manhattan Project, sent a memorandum to General of the Army George Marshall, Chief of Staff of the United States Army, in which he wrote that "the next bomb . . should be ready for delivery on the first suitable weather after 17 or 18 August.*"
    *From the Wikipedia entry on the Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Civilian casualties are always tragic. To bad our enemies past and present don't agree

attackatdawn Guest

40 Hiroshima pictures

Warning some pictures are kind of nasty

http://www.springoo.com/history/hiro...want-us-to-see

The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed about 250.000 people and became the most dreadful slaughter of civilians in modern history. However, for many years there was a curious gap in the photographic records. Although the names of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were incised into our memories, there were few pictures to accompany them.

This is the horror they didnâ??t want us to see, and that we must NEVER forget

Lisamarie Guest
    I think it very important to see pictures like those.....so we never forget.

Absolutley horrid.

But let's also not forget that the Japanese Army was guilty of many atrocities against civilians as well as POW's.

If the bombs had not been dropped; the death toll among Americans and Japanese would likely have far exceeded the toll from the bombs.

As my father was a Marine in WWII; it is quite likely that I; and many others would not be here today otherwise.

That is a gruesome reality.

Danny62 Guest
    Don't forget the Japanese tortured and killed our servicemen!! They used them as human Guinea pigs!!

Although the pictures are horrid it ended world war II and saved over a million american lives!!

attackatdawn Guest
    Don't forget the Japanese tortured and killed our servicemen!! They used them as human Guinea pigs!!

Although the pictures are horrid it ended world war II and saved over a million american lives!!
    I agree with you Danny, I guess with any war there is innocent victims.

poppie Guest
    The pictures are horrific, but I was shown even worse sights during basic training of people/Japan after the bombs were dropped. I had a 19 year old brother in the Army during World War 2. He and perhaps as many as 150,000 American GI's are still alive because President Truman authorized dropping those two bombs. The casualties that would have occured during our invasion of Japan was too large a number for Truman to even consider. I cannot be too sympathetic because Japan refused to surrender after the first bomb was dropped.

no matter how necessary death is in a war, l can't possibly look at the pictures of those burned babies and think "collateral damage."
    65% of the casualties were nine years of age and younger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mmmmmmmmmmm-crispy
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Nowereman Guest
    Had to be done I'm afraid

tngirl1967 Guest
    There was a really fantastic documentary on HBO back in the summer called White Light / Black Rain. It showed some horrific scenes and interviewed survivors who were children when the bombs were dropped. What really intrigued me was that the survivors really portrayed the fault was Japan's....even though they have scars from burns, cancers, all sorts of health problems, they saw no end in sight and blamed their government. If you can catch this show, watch it. It held me captive. It was very interesting, I happened to catch this show on vacation in Florida in August, two days after visiting the WWII Museum in New Orleans. The museum told the story of the US soldiers--the cultural views, military strategies, stories of women and men of the day, and my sister in law and I were in tears when we exited the museum, then just two days later I was aimlessly flipping channels and got to see the other side of the destruction.

GrinReaper Guest
    Japan was on the verge of surrendering when the bombs were dropped.
    There is all sorts of proof showing this. For example: The Japenese had contacted their amabassador in Moscow to work on peace negotiations with the Allies.
    The real reason for the bombing was for America to give Russia a good scare and to keep them out of postwar Japan.
    Russia was on the verge of entering the war against Japan but the Americans wanted to have all the power so that Japan would surrender to the U.S. instead of Russia.
    Among the dead in Hiroshama were 12 U.S. Navy fliers (POWs). There were also known POWs in Nagasaki too. Yeah. The American military killed it's own in the nuclear bombing of Japan.
    (Also a bombing raid was done on Tokyo killing 80,000.)

As for saving American lives in regards to an invasion. Turns out that was nothing but bullshit. As I wrote before. Japan was in bad shape and ready to surrender anyway.

russia had already entered the war against japan,and were doing nicely at that.

when the marianas fell,putting land based bombers in range of the japanese homeland,and tojo resigning,the jig was obviously up. any blood spilled after that date was on the emperors and his cabinets hands,no one elses.

Nowereman Guest
    Theres no way they would of surrendered, they would all of died to the last for there Emporer, The Allies would of invaded and would of been faced with a guerrilla war for years.

tensecondstolove Guest

Yep, I agree.

cherryghost Guest
    But these victims were civillians! Mothers, children and old people! And the photographs show that plainly and clearly!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 12-11-2007 at 01:39 AM.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    But these victims were civillians! Mothers, children and old people! And the photographs show that plainly and clearly!
    Right but that is why it is called a casualty of war. It's not fair but it needed to happen.

cherryghost Guest
    I disagree with that and the Atomic Bomb! I dont think it should have happened! Thats why we must never forget these atrocities! So the mistakes are never repeated again!

cherryghost Guest
    I think Grinreaper has the best handle on expressing the facts! Excellent reportage! Far better at putting the point across than I ever could!

tensecondstolove Guest
    I disagree with that and the Atomic Bomb! I dont think it should have happened! Thats why we must never forget these atrocities! So the mistakes are never repeated again!
    We gave them a chance to surrender before the Atomic was dropped. They didn't take that opportunity. They had no value for human life and slaughtered hundreds of thousands of lives at the Rape of Nanking. They had it coming.

That's a really great site & very informative. Thanks for sharing it.

Carrie Guest
    Never forget?? WE should never forget the service men whose skeletons are at the bottom of Pearl Harbor....or trapped forever in the watery grave of the the Arizona. We were attacked....we took action. As far as I'm concerned history should be repeating itself. We had balls in the '40s but somewhere along the way we were neutered....and that is more frightening to me than anything.

Maruz83 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Never forget?? WE should never forget the service men whose skeletons are at the bottom of Pearl Harbor....or trapped forever in the watery grave of the the Arizona. We were attacked....we took action. As far as I'm concerned history should be repeating itself. We had balls in the '40s but somewhere along the way we were neutered....and that is more frightening to me than anything.

Being in the Military I can say that if wasn't for all the reporters this war we have now would be done ! Everytime a service member farts it's news but when we get attacked it's not a big deal ! Take the media out of IRAQ and the world would be done in no time !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    no matter how necessary death is in a war, l can't possibly look at the pictures of those burned babies and think "collateral damage."
    65% of the casualties were nine years of age and younger.
    In that case don't look, you won't like them at all.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Bigfoot Guest
    I don't think I will even click

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    In that case don't look, you won't like them at all.
    l did look. that's how l knew what the pictures were of.
    my point was that, when talking about war, it's easy to talk about the countries in general, or the politics. but l wouldn't look at a baby burned alive and say they "had it coming." none is a more innocent victim of war than the ones in these pictures.

you're right, neil. l didn't like them at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l did look. that's how l knew what the pictures were of.
    my point was that, when talking about war, it's easy to talk about the countries in general, or the politics. but l wouldn't look at a baby burned alive and say they "had it coming." none is a more innocent victim of war than the ones in these pictures.

you're right, neil. l didn't like them at all.
    I knew you would not like them, you are sensitive to these things. But there is an underlying theme as to why nations in WW2 bombed civilians and I suspect you know the argument. So I won't bore you with the details here.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

It is a sad reality that governments start wars; and citizens suffer. After the first bomb; the Japanese were given the chance to surrender; and did not.

There were still Japanese soldiers hiding in the jungles of the Phillipines in the 60"s and 70's...you think these guys would ever surrender?

I abhor some of the policies of my government; the US; such as the Shah of Iran..."he might be a son of a bitch; but he is OUR son of a bitch"...it's no wonder that people in that part of the world hate us (US).

But "the bomb" actually saved lives by ending the war sooner than it would have otherwise.

I feel that the US should return to an isolationist policy and see who misses who first.

War sucks for everybody, even the victor suffers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    Being in the Military I can say that if wasn't for all the reporters this war we have now would be done ! Everytime a service member farts it's news but when we get attacked it's not a big deal ! Take the media out of IRAQ and the world would be done in no time !!!!
    Well said.

So were the people of Nanking...

Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

deathhagcutie Guest
    the people affected by these two bombs were civillians they had nothing to do with bombing of pearl harbor or the rape of nanking..remember the people most affected were children and women!! and yes my grandfather was in ww2 in the pacific i find it rather revolting that you people can say that these innocent civllians deserve it!