Thread: Parley Baer

Danny62 Guest

Parley Baer

He appeared in motion pictures and in many television shows. He is most known for his role as "Mayor Stoner" on "The Andy Griffith Show" He was also the voice of "Ernie Keebler" in the Keebler commercials.

Also played Chester in the "Gunsmoke" radio shows.

Aug 5, 1914-Nove 22, 2002. And he was born in my home town salt Lake City, Utah!!!

jay Guest
    I remember him appearing as Doc Appleby on a few episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard

Cadence71 Guest
    He's one of those faces that you know you've seen in a million things, but it's hard to pin one down when asked.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Sorry, I don't really remember him.

Long Gone Day Guest
    I...loved...that...show...and...always...watched...it.......
    Mayor.*Stoner*..hehehe......wish..every..town..had..a..Mayor..Stoner
    Look...how...happy...Mayberry...was.....

FannyB1923 Guest
    He did a lot work- five decades worth, plus radio!

Never seen or heard of him, but thanks for the post

I learned something

stoner - ha
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

he played several different characters on "Bewitched" mostly clients of Darrin's during the 8 year run. i last saw him on the soap opera "The Young and the Restless" in the 90's about 10 years ago. i don't guess he's related to Max Baer JR [Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies]

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    he played several different characters on "Bewitched" mostly clients of Darrin's during the 8 year run. i last saw him on the soap opera "The Young and the Restless" in the 90's about 10 years ago. i don't guess he's related to Max Baer JR [Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies]
    RIP Parley...he was born here in Salt Lake City! Cool!

And No he is isn't related the wacko Max Bear Jr but I believe his dad was a famous boxer "Max Jr" that is!

radiojane Guest
    He actually voiced one of the Keebler elves until 1997 or so....

He was one of my favorite radio personalities. He did everything

crazedfemale Guest
    Parley Baer was probably the busiest character actor in his prime! He did several episodes of Bewitched plus a gillion other shows. I remember when he was on I Love Lucy when Lucy played Ricky's agent and ended up getting him released from Metro during the California episodes. I last saw him on Young and the Restless.

I think he was one of the busiest character actors because the studio's and everyone involved just loved him as a person. Apparently he was very fun to be around, the kind that just put people in a good mood.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Bidmor Guest
    A great promo pic for the radio version of Gunsmoke...posed and photographed like a latter 19th century photo.
    L-R Howard McNear (Doc Adams), William Conrad (Matt Dillon), Parley Baer (Chester Proudfoot). Standing is Georgia Ellis as Kitty Russell. Chester's surname was changed to Goode when the show came to tv.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gunsmoke.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	44065  
    Last edited by Bidmor; 10-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    A great promo pic for the radio version of Gunsmoke...posed and photographed like a latter 19th century photo.
    L-R Howard McNear (Doc Adams), William Conrad (Matt Dillon), Parley Baer (Chester Proudfoot). Standing is Georgia Ellis as Kitty Russell. Chester's surname was changed to Goode when the show came to tv.
    Great thread and great pic!

Thanks for that.

I seem to recall reading that Mr. Conrad was great as the voice of Marshall Dillon on the radio; but was considered a little too "portly" to play him on screen; I'm not seeing that in this pic; though I know in his later years and efforts he was much heavier; but big men can still move fast.

"Doc Adams" reminds me a bit of "Floyd the Barber" from Andy Griffith, Mr. Baer looks a bit uncomfortable in that photo, I preferred the character of Festus as a "sidekick" anyway.

The lady looks the part; lovely as she is.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post

"Doc Adams" reminds me a bit of "Floyd the Barber" from Andy Griffith, Mr. Baer looks a bit uncomfortable in that photo, I preferred the character of Festus as a "sidekick" anyway.

The lady looks the part; lovely as she is.
    Howard McNear was Floyd the barber in TAGS. He also played Doc in the radio version of Gunsmoke. And I agree, Festus was my favorite, preferred him much better than Chester, personally.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I seem to recall reading that Mr. Conrad was great as the voice of Marshall Dillon on the radio; but was considered a little too "portly" to play him on screen; I'm not seeing that in this pic; though I know in his later years and efforts he was much heavier; Mr. Baer looks a bit uncomfortable in that photo
    I found a different radio cast promo pic. Conrad is in profile and appears to be "sucking it in" some. I think Baer's countenance in the above pic looks quite authentic for re-creating photographs of that period...hats held horizontal by the brim and faces stoic.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    stoner - ha
    I know, right? It would have been groovy and far-out if ol' Andy or Barney would have addressed him as "Duuuude!"
    --William Shakespeare!

[QUOTE=Dangitbawb;1327313]Howard McNear was Floyd the barber in TAGS.
    QUOTE]

That would almost explain the resemblance.

Thanks for that, I should have known it.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I remember him from alot of movies and TV shows
    he was a great character actor.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I like the fact that he and Howard McNear aka Floyd use to ride into the studio together when filming Andy Griffith.
    Wouldn't that be a hoot to be at the traffic light, look over and see those two in the car together.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

[QUOTE=JimC;1327770]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Howard McNear was Floyd the barber in TAGS.
    QUOTE]

That would almost explain the resemblance.

Thanks for that, I should have known it.
    Don't feel bad, I remember thinking the same thing at first, before I found out...
    --William Shakespeare!

the old radio gunsmoke, colorized photo

co
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8