Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerome "Curly" Howard

Bessolo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by growl View Post
    Thanks for this link! Fascinating! Pat DiCicco is an interesting character. I think I'll google him-he's connected to a lot of interesting people!
    I hate you now you got me searching stuff. Check this out:
    http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilversc...cco/index.html
    Had no idea he had married Gloria Vanderbilt (heiress to the New York Central Railroad Vanderbilt fortune). He sounds so outside of her class that I can only assume she was attracted to his bad boy status. She's the mother of news reporter Anderson Cooper and had a successful line of high priced blue jeans when they were all the rage during disco era of the 70's.

Back to DiCicco, the above site mentions him getting into a big fight with Harry Cohn of Columbia...the creep who screwed the 3 Stooges (and probably countless other Columbia stars) out of a lot of money.

Am wracking what's left of my brains and seem to recall that Lou Costello had some family relation to someone by the same name (DiCicco), can anyone verify this?

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bessolo View Post
    Harry Cohn was one piece of work. At Cohn's funeral Red Skelton noted the large attendance and supposedly uttered â??It proves what Harry always said: Give the public what they want and they'll come out for itâ?
    Did you "borrow" that from the Moguls & Movie Stars series?

Bessolo Guest
    That saying is like a rash all over this here interweb. Some sources attribute that remark to Georgie Jessel

growl Guest
    I hate you now you got me searching stuff. Check this out:
    http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilversc...cco/index.html
    Had no idea he had married Gloria Vanderbilt (heiress to the New York Central Railroad Vanderbilt fortune). He sounds so outside of her class that I can only assume she was attracted to his bad boy status. She's the mother of news reporter Anderson Cooper and had a successful line of high priced blue jeans when they were all the rage during disco era of the 70's.

Back to DiCicco, the above site mentions him getting into a big fight with Harry Cohn of Columbia...the creep who screwed the 3 Stooges (and probably countless other Columbia stars) out of a lot of money.

Am wracking what's left of my brains and seem to recall that Lou Costello had some family relation to someone by the same name (DiCicco), can anyone verify this?

That's a great link! He is a really interesting character!!!Linked to Thelma Todd, Lucky Luciano, Gloria Vanderbilt, Albert Broccoli, Harry Cohn, Virginia Hill, Ben Siegel, Wow I think he knew where a lot of bodies are buried!!! Sorry off topic

Forever-27 Guest
    Curly had a massive stroke , but didnt die. He was replaced by Shemp. In his final appearance in a stooge film, hes sitting on a train seat as they pass down the isle. Hes got a fake beard on and has no speaking part.

My favorite Stooge short with Curly in it is either Disorder in the Court or You Nazti Spy !

Bidmor Guest
    There is a new Stooges film in the works, now at Fox, but it's not a bio-pic. Disappointing.
    http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/fox-...three-stooges/

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    In his final appearance in a stooge film, hes sitting on a train seat as they pass down the isle. Hes got a fake beard on and has no speaking part.
    Clean shaven but we do get to see Curly with full head of hair. The short is Hold That Lion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPFuMKgTvN8
    Last edited by Bidmor; 12-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.

I was bouncing off the walls when I was little and found out Curly was born on my birthday. Er, I was born on Coily's boitday!

Nelliebean Guest
    I have an old book on the Stooges and it shows a picture of Moe and Curly's mom. They were the spitting image of her.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I have an old book on the Stooges and it shows a picture of Moe and Curly's mom. They were the spitting image of her.
    I would LOVE to see that picture? perhaps you could scan it? what is the books title?

Bessolo Guest
    Was that a test? Of how many question marks? You could put in a post?

Here's Jennie & Solomon Horwitz (?) LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3497604171_b45c50467e_z.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	29341  

Forever-27 Guest
    Niagra Falls .... Slowly we turned, Step by Step, Inch by Inch ....

Geeze forgot what short thats from, I know it will come to me by the time I log off tonight

Bessolo Guest
    Actually that vaudeville routine is quote old and was performed by many people including both the Stooges and Abbott & Costello.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Actually that vaudeville routine is quote old and was performed by many people including both the Stooges and Abbott & Costello.
    AND in I Love Lucy too but it was Martha not Niagara falls in the episode

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Was that a test? Of how many question marks? You could put in a post?

Here's Jennie & Solomon Horwitz (?) LOL
    Shemp looks like his father

Forever-27 Guest
    Theres a short where everytime Curly hears Pop Goes the Weezle he goes nuts. Moe makes him a boxer .... christ this is going to bug me until IFC shows the short again.

Bessolo Guest
    Do I hafta do everything around here?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMnmyHVDRFY

Merry Friggin Xmas

John carpenter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Howie, Curley got me in so much trouble when I was a kid. I was a 3 stooges freak. I watched them everyday after school....that is, until I hit my brother over the head with a plastic bowl. My mom blamed it on Curley, Moe, and Larry. I was banned from the t.v. for a long long time. Years later, I had to explain to my mom that it wasn't my 3 pals who made me hit my brother...it was the fact that my brother was an asshole!!
    LMAO Awesome Post Carrie

Amaya-chan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    There is a new Stooges film in the works, now at Fox, but it's not a bio-pic. Disappointing.
    http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/fox-...three-stooges/
    Dear God, why? I can practically hear all six of the original Stooges rolling in their graves right now. I guess even the greats can't avoid the curse of being remade. >_<

Forever-27 Guest
    Do I hafta do everything around here?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMnmyHVDRFY

Merry Friggin Xmas

Friggin sweet, one of the top 5 favorite shorts. Favorite is still Disorder in the Court OR Micro-Phonies

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaya-chan View Post
    Dear God, why? I can practically hear all six of the original Stooges rolling in their graves right now. I guess even the greats can't avoid the curse of being remade. >_<
    Moe's ghost is going to rise and give whoever is in charge of the remake a poke in the eyes, slap in the face, and a punch in the stomach and say " Whats the Matter with you?!"

A biopic is the way to go with the Stooges. Granted there was a TV movie about them but a feature length biopic would be awesome.

Forever-27 Guest
    Just an fyi amc is showing a 2 day stooge marathon, all day new years eve, all that nite , all day new years day and all that nite.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I put a video clip of the last Curly appearance and the only time all 4 Stooges were together in 1 scene on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk4ujI-EOMk
    He plays a passenger on a train. Curly had a stroke on 06 May 1946. This was filmed after Curly's stroke and is from the short "Hold That Lion" (1947) and is also the only clip with 4 Stooges - Curly, Larry, Moe and Shemp.
    From Wikipedia:
    Donning a full head of hair, Curly made a brief cameo appearance (doing his barking-dog routine) in the third film after brother Shemp returned to the trio, Hold That Lion!. It was the only film that featured Larry Fine and all three Howard brothers, Moe, Shemp and Curly, simultaneously; director Jules White later said he spontaneously staged the bit during Curly's impromptu visit to the soundstage:

"It was a spur of the moment idea. Curly was visiting the set; this was sometime after his stroke. Apparently he came in on his own, since I didn't see a nurse with him. He was sitting around, reading a newspaper. As I walked in, the newspaper, which he had in front of his face, came down and he waved hello to me. I thought it would be funny, to have him do a bit in the picture and he was happy to do it"

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    I put a video clip of the last Curly appearance and the only time all 4 Stooges were together in 1 scene on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk4ujI-EOMk
    He plays a passenger on a train. Curly had a stroke on 06 May 1946. This was filmed after Curly's stroke and is from the short "Hold That Lion" (1947) and is also the only clip with 4 Stooges - Curly, Larry, Moe and Shemp.
    From Wikipedia:
    Donning a full head of hair, Curly made a brief cameo appearance (doing his barking-dog routine) in the third film after brother Shemp returned to the trio, Hold That Lion!. It was the only film that featured Larry Fine and all three Howard brothers, Moe, Shemp and Curly, simultaneously; director Jules White later said he spontaneously staged the bit during Curly's impromptu visit to the soundstage:

"It was a spur of the moment idea. Curly was visiting the set; this was sometime after his stroke. Apparently he came in on his own, since I didn't see a nurse with him. He was sitting around, reading a newspaper. As I walked in, the newspaper, which he had in front of his face, came down and he waved hello to me. I thought it would be funny, to have him do a bit in the picture and he was happy to do it"
    I wish curly could have had more cameos it would have been fun

Pat MaGroin Guest

Curly's Hat from Back To The Front

Here's a scan and pics of Curly's hat from the 1943 Short 'Back To The Front'.

Name:	CurlyHowardBackToTheFrontHatColumbiaPicturesCorp.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	29557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CurlyHowardBackToTheFrontHatName.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	29558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CurlyHowardBackToTheFrontHatPaper.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	29559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CurlyHowardBackToTheFrontHatPic.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	29560  

Bessolo Guest
    Not that I feel it applies here but the thing about collecting such things as props and autographs is that provenance like an authenticating letter is only as good as the firm's reputation.

It appears that a fountain pen was used to write on the band, and unless big money was involved, it's unlikely that someone would bother to go to the trouble of making a rubber stamp as in the first pic.

Pat MaGroin Guest

3 Stooges Signatures

I took pictures of the 3 Stooges Mounted Display of the autographs that I have of them from 1935.

Name:	3StoogesCurlyMoeLarry1935.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	248.0 KB 
ID:	29585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3StoogesCurlyMoeLarry1935Mat.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	29586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JerryCurlyMoeBangsLarryFuzzy.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	29587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoogesCurlyMoeLarry1935.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	29588  

Forever-27 Guest
    AMC showed Hold that Lion and Calling all Curs back to back this morning. I never noticed but these are the only shorts where Curly has a full head of hair.

bonzosrightfoot Guest
    I finally saw the made for TV movie from about a decade ago on Hulu recently. For what it was, it was pretty good. I've wasted an hour and a half in worse ways.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I have a question. My son recently became a huge fan of the Stooges, and wanted to know more about Curly, which led to us doing a Google/Wiki search of the Three Stooges.

Anyhow, after having had several strokes, and being in the hospital, as well as a nursing home, Curly was transferred to a Sanitarium, where he eventually died.

Why a Sanitarium? I always thought Sanitariums (back then) were for the insane and people with mental issues. Curly suffered from a stroke. So how was he an appropriate candidate for a Sanitarium? Or was there more to those institutions than I realize?

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lucilleball861911 View Post
    i STILL have not heard a good imitation of his Nyuks and woobs
    That's because you haven't heard my son yet. He's an aspiring voice actor. We have a YouTube account for him, when we get a good Curly video up, I'll let you guys know and you can tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sGirl View Post
    Why a Sanitarium? I always thought Sanitariums (back then) were for the insane and people with mental issues. Curly suffered from a stroke. So how was he an appropriate candidate for a Sanitarium? Or was there more to those institutions than I realize?
    Because Curly had lost his mind by this time and had assaulted staff at his previous facility.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Bidmor Guest
    Additionally on sanitariums...back then they were the only common larger capacity medical facility alternative to hospitals and sanitariums came in different varieties. Some were of sound repute for longer term physical recovery, some resembled a mental asylum in function, while others offered physical fitness programs such as weight loss or overall health improvement and some of those were nefarious in purpose...convincing people who were not seriously (if at all) ill who had some spending money that they needed treatment for whatever malady. Because health insurance was unheard of, when a patient ran out of money, they were pronounced cured and released. Most sanitariums were privately owned with little or no local government health code to be concerned with. Today the word sanitarium conjures up negative images and isn't used.

A 1946 short "Monkey Businessmen" dealt with the boys seeking rest at a sanitarium run by a quack doctor and, ironically, Jerry's health was actually degenerating badly by then.
    http://www.threestooges.com/filmography/films.php
    Last edited by Bidmor; 01-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    I took pictures of the 3 Stooges Mounted Display of the autographs that I have of them from 1935.
    Nice, Pat!!

Great youtube video of Curly's grandson visiting Curly and Shemp's graves for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDmlQek5Gg

Died January 18, 1952 (aged 48) Rest In Peace