Thread: Mercedes De Acosta

burgtwngrl Guest

Mercedes De Acosta

Famous Hollywood Lesbian... From Wikipedia

Mercedes de Acosta (March 1, 1893 â?? May 9, 1968) was a Cuban-American poet, playwright, costume designer, and socialite best known for her lesbian affairs with Marlene Dietrich, Alla Nazimova, Tamara Karsavina, Eva Le Gallienne, Isadora Duncan, Katharine Cornell, Maude Adams, Ona Munson ("Belle Watling" in the film Gone with the Wind), Adele Astaire, and allegedly Tallulah Bankhead amongst others.

Mercedes de Acosta married Abram Poole (1882â??1961), a noted painter and socialite, in 1920. They divorced in 1935.

[edit] Personal life

Although talented in her professional field, it is no doubt her personal life that has made her famous in Hollywood circles. She became involved in numerous lesbian relationships with Hollywood's elite, and although lesbianism and bisexuality in Hollywood was common in its early years, she was one of the few of the time who did not attempt to hide her sexuality.
    In 1916 she began an affair with actress Alla Nazimova, and shortly thereafter started an affair with young actress Tallulah Bankhead, and later dancer Isadora Duncan. Shortly after marrying Abram Poole in 1920, de Acosta became involved in a turbulent five-year relationship with actress Eva Le Gallienne. The two women vacationed and travelled together often, at times visiting the salon of famed writer and socialite Natalie Barney in Europe. [1] De Acosta wrote two plays for Eva during that time, Sandro Botticelli and Jehanne de Arc. Neither were successful, and the combined financial failures of both plays and de Acosta's possessive and jealous nature brought the affair to an end. [2] [3]
    Over the next decade she amassed an ensemble of female partners, all of whom were either rising stars, or aging stars. These included Rudolph Valentino's alleged fiancée, actress Pola Negri, who went on to star in films for UFA during the 1930s, writer Edith Wharton, writer and stage actress Katharine Cornell, socialite Dorothy ("Dickie") Fellowes-Gordon, and with writer Amy Lowell.
    De Acosta was involved with married Russian ballerina Tamara Platonovna Karsavina throughout her life, after their first meeting in 1920. The two were as much friends as they were lovers, and Karsavina was one of the few who continued to be friendly toward de Acosta following the controversial autobiography released by the latter, exposing many of her relationships to the public.

[edit] Affair with Greta Garbo

In 1931, she met and quickly became involved with Greta Garbo. The two were introduced to one another by de Acosta's lover at the time, author Salka Viertel. Her relationship with Garbo has often been described as "the love of her lifetime".
    It is doubtful from all information from the time that Garbo shared those feelings. Garbo was in control of the affair, and the two would be together for lengthy periods often taking vacations together, then apart for long spells without Garbo even acknowledging de Acosta, and everything was at the will of Garbo. In 1944, Garbo ended the on-again off-again relationship. At that time, she insisted de Acosta stop sending her poems and letters professing her love. The last known poem written by de Acosta for Garbo was written that same year. By all accounts, de Acosta remained in love with Garbo for the remainder of her lifetime.

Her memoir, Here Lies the Heart[4], was published in 1960 because Mercedes was seriously ill with a brain tumor and in need of money.
    Its revelations, though highly sanitized and supported as fact, resulted in the severing of numerous friendships of famous women who preferred their sexuality remain private, including that of the mercurial Garbo. Eva Le Gallienne in particular was furious, and completely did away with anything reminding her of de Acosta. Many denounced her as a liar, stating that she invented these stories for fame. This is unlikely, as most of the affairs have been confirmed through personal correspondence, and many of the affairs were known to Hollywood insiders, but were kept out of the headlines for the sake of the actresses' careers.
    She found herself cut off from many of her friends and increasingly in financial straits. De Acosta died at age 75 in relative poverty and obscurity.
    She is buried with her mother and sister, Rita Lydig[5] at Trinity Cemetery in Washington Heights, New York City, New York

Guest Guest
    Her memoire was fascinating reading - I think I probably read the whole library by now - I am a speed reader and on a good week could read 6 or so books

fultondyke Guest
    I have her book also...I LOVED it!!! She sure got around...I hated that Garbo wouldn't speak to Mercedes after the book was published. Mercedes' accounts of Garbo are some of the best I've ever read...they described Greta as the PERSON she was!

Noelle Page Guest
    Sort of the Ingrid Casares of her day? (Not that I know much about Ingrid, just going by tabloid allusions)

Cataroo Guest

More Cheese Please Guest
    Here are some links... including excerpts from "Here Lies the Heart"...

http://www.robertschanke.com/mercedes/

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/bodhi.../deacosta.html

Noelle Page Guest
    Wow, lookit those awesome shoes!

ratkin638 Guest
    Knocked over the Wicked Witch and took them shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    Knocked over the Wicked Witch and took them shoes!
    LOL

Noelle Page Guest
    Ha, ha. Probably nicked 'em off the MGM lot after a tryst with Garbo.

ratkin638 Guest
    Wasn't that a Sam Cooke song - "Trysting The Night Away"?