Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sam Cooke

BAGOBONES Guest
    wow i searched for a Sam thread and it didnt show up.
    i just stumbled upon it . this should be good!

BAGOBONES Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    Well, you have to understand that even though Sam was a great figure in music he was one of those people that died before he was well recieved. Otis Rdding, Jim Croce, Jimi Hendrix, and a few others all had the advantage of having a song or more that hadn't been released before they died. I don't know why but people seem to idolize you more (talent wise) after you are gone. Sam had all his songs already out so when he passed. Sam Had two other strikes against him. One was when he died the music was changing and his style wasn't as popular. Otis Redding had a better flair, style, sound, and folling so people just turned to him to fill the void.

I really think people would have been more upset about Otis's loss if Marvin Gaye wasn't there. I think Marvin had the best of everything for his time but Otis by far was the best of the three.

Actually, 'A Change is gonna come' was released in 1965 after his death.

Here is a slideshow of his funeral OPEN CASKET SHOT.....It is funny how getting hit in the head with a broomstick made both of his hands look broken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taNeVeZNTfI

Tornillo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    heres a good casket pic,this is at his last furneral in chicago(he also had one in la).
    THAT ...is Sam Cooke? Such a good looking man in life...he looks a like a clown in picture.

John carpenter Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQE-tHjPAc
    I,m just discovering Sam Cooke I love this song! I had no idea Sam sung it! WOW!

Surfer Joe Guest
    Here's a really good, well-reasoned, factual, non-hysterical account that examines the possibilities. I think it was a pretty straightforward event, sad and tragic as it was, and for once the official version was pretty close to spot-on, outside of whatever was really going on with the pick-up girl.

http://panafricannews.blogspot.com/2...-theories.html

Nelliebean Guest
    Sounds like ol' Sam couldn't take no for an answer.

Town Without Pity Guest
    I've always loved Sam and thought there was something fishy about his death. I think it was some kind of set up weather it be murder or set up by the prostitute and manager. Some things just don't add up. I still listen to Sam. May he RIP.

Surfer Joe Guest
    Yeah- the only part of the story that doesn't stack up is the account of the woman that she was being "kidnapped"- witnesses agreed that she was not being coerced into the room and she had other opportunities to escape.

So it's likely that she was rolling a drunk.

But if it was a murder conspiracy, what the hell was the plan? Get him really mad, and then lock yourself in the office and hope he breaks in, despite his lack of clothes? And why was she summoning the police to the site before the victim had even been shot?

There's a ton of misinformation out there, apparently as a result of people wanting the tarnishing of Sam Cooke's name to go away, but it's just misinformation. The girl (picture below) was arrested for prostitution a month later (circumstances and outcome unknown, as far as I can learn), and this is regularly spun into her being a well-known prostitute "with a record a mile long", and having a reputation for rolling drunks at that specific motel. I'd love to see the evidence- that would clear a lot of stuff up for sure. But I don't think the evidence is out there because I don't think it's true.

It is true that the woman was later convicted in the death of her boyfriend- about 1979, I think.

And Etta James put it out there that she saw the body and he was "nearly decapitated", etc., but the crime scene photo below doesn't seem to corroborate that, nor do the open casket photos, of which there are several.

Just a sad, sad story of a drunk who had a really bad night. But his music will be what we remember him for.

Nelliebean Guest
    He had a reputation for forcing himself upon women. He wasn't any choir boy.

mas924 Guest

sam is the greatest

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    Well, you have to understand that even though Sam was a great figure in music he was one of those people that died before he was well recieved. Otis Rdding, Jim Croce, Jimi Hendrix, and a few others all had the advantage of having a song or more that hadn't been released before they died. I don't know why but people seem to idolize you more (talent wise) after you are gone. Sam had all his songs already out so when he passed. Sam Had two other strikes against him. One was when he died the music was changing and his style wasn't as popular. Otis Redding had a better flair, style, sound, and folling so people just turned to him to fill the void.

I really think people would have been more upset about Otis's loss if Marvin Gaye wasn't there. I think Marvin had the best of everything for his time but Otis by far was the best of the three.

mas924 Guest

Thumbs up sam cooke is the greatest

Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, and David Ruffin, in that order, are the 3 greatest singers ever to step on a stage!!, bar none! Otis Redding, I love him, but he's not in their class. Truth hurts. By the way, that whole coroner's inquest was a sham! Barbara Cooke was a weed-smoking schemer who was probably in on the whole thing. I mean, what kind of person marries again 2 weeks after her husband is shot dead? Bellfire had better recognize, Sam Cooke is the greater of both Otis and the much overrated Marvin Gaye, 'yes', OVERRATED! Enough said!

I really liked him.

stfunie Guest

Sam Cooke

This is so sad. The world will always miss Sam Cooke, the King of Soul. It's a shame that no one ever paid for what they did to this man.

-------------------------

The Cooke family hired an private investigator who uncovered the following facts:

Cooke had dated Lisa Boyer three weeks prior to his murder despite the fact that numerous people warned him about her colorful past which included prostitution. If Cooke was dating her, why would he try to rape her?

Singer Etta James revealed in her book "Rage To Survive," that Cooke was so badly beaten that his head was decapitated from his shoulders, his hands were broken and crushed, his nose was smashed and he had a two inch bump on his head. These injuries were never explained and a woman could not inflict these type of injuries.

Bertha Franklin had a .32 registered in her name yet she killed Cooke with a .22, she would move to Michigan and die eighteen months later.

Lisa Boyer would be arrested for prostitution one month after Cookes death and in 1979 she would be found guilty of second degree murder in the shooting death of her boyfriend.

stfunie Guest

Sam.. not murdered? Ooook

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Joe View Post
    Here's a really good, well-reasoned, factual, non-hysterical account that examines the possibilities. I think it was a pretty straightforward event, sad and tragic as it was, and for once the official version was pretty close to spot-on, outside of whatever was really going on with the pick-up girl.

http://panafricannews.blogspot.com/2...-theories.html
    That link is ridiculous. There was no murder plot? Right, and there was no holocaust, either. In fact, I have read reports that there was black skin and blood on the inside AND outside of Cooke's car. Sam did not go to that shithole motel on his own, his body was moved there. That old bag that claimed to have shot Cooke didn't even have a .22. She was registered to a .32. The list goes on and on.

The hooker couldn't get her story straight, and the old bag later claimed that she never killed Sam.

The fact is that Sam wouldn't sell his publishing rights and his other businesses. He had a busines sense as amazing as his talent and he was making a killing (no pun intended) doing it all on his own and collecting all of HIS profits. After Sam was killed, a Jewish business man bought the catalog from his wife for $103,000, a pittance of the true value. Then his supposed good friend was made VP at the company that bought the rights.

I'da done him. And, I wouldn't have ran off with his wallet. #Morals

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    I disagree. After Sam was murdered fans swarmed the hotel and riots broke out there in the Streets. Over the next couple of days Sam had two funerals - one in Chicago and one in Los Angeles with over 10,000 fans swarming around his $5,000 glass-topped bronze casket.

This is the best part:
    At the LA funeral, Sam's wife stepped out of the limo with her new boyfriend Bobby Womack at her side. Worse yet, Bobby was wearing Sam's clothes!
    Thank you. After reading the first few posts I was thinking that can't be right, Sam, not popular till after he died?!

For any Sam Cooke fans in the DC area, my group is featuring one of our singers performing "A Change Is Gonna Come" with full orchestra on the steps of the US Capitol (weather permitting!). 8 pm Thursday and Friday night, free of charge and open to the public. Just grab a seat on the steps of the Capitol. Bring water; it has been very hot.

Anyway, he sounds so much like Cooke, it will give you chills. It kind of freaks me out, to be honest. Reminds me that I wish Cooke hadn't passed away so young. Even all the computers, marketing, and technology of 2012 can't reproduce or hold a candle to his unique sound, IMHO.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

MrsLayneStaley1201 Guest
    Happy Birthday Sam!

I think there was more to this than what we know, I just have a feeling he wasn't shot in self defense. However it happened, he was taken from the world way to young. I loved his songs, 'Cupid', 'Wonderful World' and 'Chain Gang'. RIP Sam, you are missed.

Sam Cooke - "But I do know that I love you and I know that if you love me too, what a wonderful world this would be"

http://didyouknowfacts.com/strange-death-sam-cooke/

'Fellow singer Etta James viewed Cooke's body before his funeral and thought his injuries were wildly inconsistent with the official story, in which he briefly struggled with Bertha Franklin before being shot. James claimed that Cooke was severely beaten, with broken hands, a broken nose, and severe head injuries'.

Sam Cooke gets apology for racism that inspired ‘Change is Gonna Come’

https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/sam-co...is-gonna-come/

Read the biography, "Dream Boogie", and get an education regarding Sam's world. Great voice, generous man, huge appetite for women as a perk to his career.
    Death was not fully investigated, and although he had his pants down, there was far more to it than was revealed.