Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Rascals/Our Gang

Danny62 Guest

Little Rascals/Our Gang

From the our gang comedies was shot and killed in 1959 over an argument ove a $50 debt.

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    From the our gang comedies was shot and killed in 1959 over an argument ove a $50 debt.

Well if that was all that it was then it wouldn't be much of a story. He was,to say the least, a very difficult child actor who turned into a handful as an adult. He reminded me of the prototype country slickster. He actually threatend a guy that had a gun in his hand by charging him with a knife. He didn't like for you not to pay him what you owed I guess. He didn't have many friends. (The guy that played Butch and Buckwheat I think.) The guy that played butch was actually cast against type much like Alfafa. (Butch was a mean character but the actor who played him was a sweetie.)

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    Well if that was all that it was then it wouldn't be much of a story. He was,to say the least, a very difficult child actor who turned into a handful as an adult. He reminded me of the prototype country slickster. He actually threatend a guy that had a gun in his hand by charging him with a knife. He didn't like for you not to pay him what you owed I guess. He didn't have many friends. (The guy that played Butch and Buckwheat I think.) The guy that played butch was actually cast against type much like Alfafa. (Butch was a mean character but the actor who played him was a sweetie.)
    It was something about a reward for a lost dog? I think if you go and search his name there are some good stories about it. Yes I heard he was a "little ass." Darla Hood is buried by him!

Bellfire Guest
    Yeah I do remember that article but come on now; is $50 worth your life? I mean the man had the gun in his head. Alfe kind of reminds me of Tree Top Bubba in the Jim Croce sone. "Don't Go Messin With Jim"

At least he's finally with Darla. What a waste..over $50.00!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Danny62 Guest
    I am sure his temper didn't help the issue any!!

blair Guest

Alfie in 'It's a Wonderful Life':

The Defiant Ones

blair Guest
    Dunno what movie this is from:

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:49 AM.

knothere Guest
    hmm could be part of the lil rascals curse

pinkrose35 Guest
    wow I've never seen pics of him as a grown up.......interesting

VegasVic Guest
    He was also friends with Roy Rogers. They went hunting together.

I drove by the house where he was shot a few years ago, but didn't take any pics.

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    He was also friends with Roy Rogers. They went hunting together.

I drove by the house where he was shot a few years ago, but didn't take any pics.
    I drove by the house last time I was in LA and took a picture or two. I'll have to dig out some of my Death Hag photos sometime and log them.

magblax Guest

Little Rascals Curse

Danny started an "Alfalfa" thread and I thought I'd throw out this one to include all weird rascals related deaths/misfortunes (Ex. Robert Blake).

"Chubby" - Died from a glandular ailment at the age of 18 (never grew past 4'7")

"Scotty Beckett" - Died at age 38 from a beating (He was so cute)

"Darla" - Died at 47 from hepititis (under strange circumstances)

"Waldo" - Died at 72 after being injured in a hit and run accident.

"Froggy" - Died at age 16 after being hit by a truck while riding a motorscooter

"Wheezer" - Died at age 19 in a plane wreck. (he was flying the plane as part of air cadet training)

"Pete" (the dog) - There were 2 dogs (Pal the Wonderdog and Peter) that played Pete...Pal died under mysterious circumstances (rumor was it injested meat laced with glass)

"Jean Darling" (adorable blonde I liked better than Darla) - Still going but thought I'd throw her in the mix.

Danny62 Guest
    Hey thanks for that!!

I had no Idea. That is kind of creepy!

Robert Blake was one of them? Wow...I never heard that before!!!

Which one was he??

magblax Guest
    . He's the one in the hat. He played Mickey from @ 1939-1944.

kelbons Guest
    Not that it really has anything to do with anything, but my grandfather used to call them the "Little Assholes!"

knothere Guest
    lol watched that show alotoo when i was a kid
    i heard about the curse
    prolly just old hollywood doin its thang

Jack Raines Guest
    Mickey Daniels, one of the original Rascals from the silent period (he was the red-headed, freckle-faced boy). Mickey later showed up as an adult in some of the 1930s Our Gang shorts, did another Hal Roach series called The Boy Friends and eventually quit the movie industry to become a construction worker.

Daniels died in complete obscurity of cirrhosis of the liver in a transient hotel in San Diego, California in 1970 at age 55. Records of his death did not surface until being researched twenty-one years after his body was found.

And also add Jay R. Smith, who was stabbed to death in Las Vegas at age 87 by a homeless man whom he had befriended.
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 10-21-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Morbid1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Danny started an "Alfalfa" thread and I thought I'd throw out this one to include all weird rascals related deaths/misfortunes (Ex. Robert Blake).

"Chubby" - Died from a glandular ailment at the age of 18 (never grew past 4'7")

"Darla" - Died at 47 from hepititis (under strange circumstances)

"Waldo" - Died at 72 after being injured in a hit and run accident.

"Froggy" - Died at age 16 after being hit by a truck while riding a motorscooter

"Wheezer" - Died at age 19 in a plane wreck. (he was flying the plane as part of air cadet training)

"Pete" (the dog) - There were 2 dogs (Pal the Wonderdog and Peter) that played Pete...Pal died under mysterious circumstances (rumor was it injested meat laced with glass)

"Jean Darling" (adorable blonde I liked better than Darla) - Still going but thought I'd throw her in the mix.

Great stuff magblax!

I watched them as a kid and thought they were great!

So sad for them...almost like a bad curse or something.

-Mobid1

Bee1001 Guest
    I watched the E! True Hollywood story on The Little Rascals curse and was totally surprised at how much of a little asshole Alfalfa was!

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Also Buckwheat died at 49 of a heart attack, and Stymie had a history of drug addictions until he too died rather young of pnuemonia as a result of a stoke.

There are very few of them still with us. Dorothy DeBorba comes to mind as one. Shirley Jean Rickert as another. Obviously Robert Blake & Jackie Cooper are the best examples of Our Ganger's that continued to excel into adulthood.

Very few lived lives into their 70's & 80's....let alone into their 60's.

When you are coddled and told you are wonderful as a child actor, then discarded when you're too old to play the role, it can be too much for some that don't have the backbone....or another career to fall back on.

Gary Guest
    Wasn't Nanette Fabray one of the kids, too? I thought I read that somewhere......
    I've been to Buckwheat's grave in Inglewood.
    Also, Stymie had a small role in the Buddy Holly Story movie. Forgot his character's name, but watch for him as Buddy & The Crickets arrive at the Apollo Theater.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Nanette was never proven to have worked on any of the films.

There have been MANY people over the years that have claimed to have taken part in the series, but have proven to be hoaxes. Not that Nanette's portfolio couldn't stand up on its own merit. I doubt she has made any claims...probably been bandied about by others close to her.

Speaking of Buckwheat...and fraudulents claims about who was on the Little Rascals....

I remember something odd that happened in the middle or late 80s...at any rate, it occurred AFTER Eddie Murphy "revived" interest in the Buckwheat character on Saturday Night Live.

20/20 did an entire segment on the actor who supposedly played "Buckwheat" as a child.

Unfortunately, Spanky MacFarland was watching that 20/20 show, and came out in the press the next day to say "that's B.S., this man did NOT play Buckwheat, the guy who DID play Buckwheat died in 1980.

Needless to say, 20/20 had some real egg on its face after THAT failure to fact check!!

rj9748 Guest
    Another sad fact about Alfalfa's death is that he died on the same day as Cecil Demille. Demille's death was front page news. Alfalfa's was not so big a deal. The newspaper mentioned him else where in the paper.

monhol Guest
    stymie was also in a few episodes of sanford and son. he still looked the same.

lowblowmonroe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee1001 View Post
    I watched the E! True Hollywood story on The Little Rascals curse and was totally surprised at how much of a little asshole Alfalfa was!
    me too..apparently he used to piss in the stage lights and stuff the camera full of bubblegum

Lisamarie Guest
    I though the fake Buckwheat story was so funny ! Can you imagin? Poor old guy! I watched that too, and I grew up on the little rascals...so sad they all seemed to have very bad luck!

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Robert Blake was one of them? Wow...I never heard that before!!!

Which one was he??
    Killer

(j/k of course)

VegasVic Guest
    . He's the one in the hat. He played Mickey from @ 1939-1944.
    LOL... I don't know if you're being intentionally funny or not... but everyone in that pic has a hat...

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    stymie was also in a few episodes of sanford and son. he still looked the same.
    Did he have an egg on his head?

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    LOL... I don't know if you're being intentionally funny or not... but everyone in that pic has a hat...
    HAHA. No it wasn't intentional. "Dumbs are not blonde".

34. 10-30-2007, 06:57 AM

Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    Tommy "Butch" Bond passed of Heart Disease in 2005. I met him in San Diego at a swap meet one weekend selling the Rascals dvd's and his autograph on an 8 x 10 with his autograph (He used to live in Imperial Beach, CA). Nicest man i've ever come across. No Hollywood BS. We chatted for a bit and I went on my way. Cool dude.
    Last edited by Cubican; 10-30-2007 at 11:18 AM.

deathybrad Guest
    I thought I met one of the little rascals once but it turned out to be a trash can.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemr68 View Post
    In high school my drivers ed and home room teacher said his mom was Darla from the Little Rascals. I have yet to figure out if this is true or not.
    If his last name was Granson, he was probably telling the truth.

Kenwesty Guest

Another Rascal...

back in my High School Days ('86 South Torrance, CA.), our librarion's name was a Ms. Guter. I'm afraid that I don't recall her first name, but the story goes that she too was a Rascall at one time. She was pretty old back then, so I reckon' it MAY have been true. If I had to guess if she was still around these days, I'm not sure I'd take that bet.

Too bad.. It would've been nice to go and pick her brain. :-(

Oh well..

- K

KristinEileen Guest
    I just watched the E! True Hollywood Story about this too! It was really interesting. I think they showed it the same day as the Poltergeist Curse and The Exorcist Curse....

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    I thought I met one of the little rascals once but it turned out to be a trash can.
    That was Oscar. He's from a different show. Man, that dude is always grouchy.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemr68 View Post
    In high school my drivers ed and home room teacher said his mom was Darla from the Little Rascals. I have yet to figure out if this is true or not.
    Does this sound like what your driver's ed teacher told you? As in, where his Mom is from, etc.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darla_Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Wasn't Nanette Fabray one of the kids, too? I thought I read that somewhere......
    I've been to Buckwheat's grave in Inglewood.
    Also, Stymie had a small role in the Buddy Holly Story movie. Forgot his character's name, but watch for him as Buddy & The Crickets arrive at the Apollo Theater.
    According to Leonard Maltin, Nanette Fabray was not a Rascal.

Even though there were those who died young or in accidents, there are quite a few that lived a good long life and were successful as well.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cubican View Post
    Tommy "Butch" Bond passed of Heart Disease in 2005. I met him in San Diego at a swap meet one weekend selling the Rascals dvd's and his autograph on an 8 x 10 with his autograph (He used to live in Imperial Beach, CA). Nicest man i've ever come across. No Hollywood BS. We chatted for a bit and I went on my way. Cool dude.
    Though Mr. Bond started out playing a character named Tommy in the Hal Roach comedy series, he was best know for playing his second character, Butch the bully. Most of his 80+ film appearances were in the "Our Gang" AKA "The Little Rascals" serials. As he grew older, Tommy Bond was a regular in the "Five Little Peppers" comedy serial. He played Joey Pepper in the Western comedy films. He also played Jimmy Olsen to Kirk Alynâ??s Superman in 30 episodes of the serials "Superman" and "Atom Man vs. Superman." He later turned down the chance to play Jimmy Olsen on the George Reeves TV series version of "Superman." Mr. Bond retired from acting in 1951 and went into the fledgling TV industry where he remained until his retirement in the 1990s. Mr. Bondâ??s son, Thomas R. Bond II was a child prodigy radio journalist, and is now a producer and the owner of the production company "Biograph."
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Kathyf Guest
    They all sure did have strange things happen.

Bidmor Guest
    Trivia: Which one of the Gang had a bit part in "It's A Wonderful Life"?

Rev.josh Guest
    Not that I am shooting a curse down or anything...cause that list is creepy. But if there was a curse why didnt the kids from the Movie (I think it was like 97) expreince the curse also?

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Trivia: Which one of the Gang had a bit part in "It's A Wonderful Life"?
    Alfalfa (Carl Switzer)

He opened the pool at the dance.
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 11-17-2007 at 04:38 PM.

knothere Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rascals.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	1158

Eh..I don't think it was a "curse". I think when anyone looks at a large group of people who were connected to one thing, it seems like there's a curse when you look at how they all died. Factor in Hollywood and it seems creepy.

Even though we all know the horror stories of child stars, we still sort of expect their lives to be charmed and have some sort of happy ending. I'll admit, those kids had some hard knocks though. That was so not the time to be a child star. A kid's money wasn't protected and since they really didn't regulate their schooling, a lot of them ended up uneducated with no job skills and rejected by Hollywood.

leevancleef Guest

Scotty was very cute indeed,and its such a shame what happened to him. He was a mess.
    After leaving the Gang Scott had no problems in findind work in the film industry but he soon began to gain more fame for his night life . He attended every single party in the city, with colleges like Elizabeth Taylor and Roddy Mc Dowall. In 1948 he was arrested for drunk driving after crashing his car .
    In 1949 he married Beverly Baker but they got divorced only 5 months later. Beverly sued him for being abusive to her. Two years later he married actrees Sunny Vickers after she got pregnant. By that time he started to have problems to find work as an actor . In the mid 50s he took his family to Mexico and being broke as he was, he was so desperate that he he started some criminal activities like exchanging checks with no funds.
    He was arrested and spent 6 months in jail, in Mexico.
    After his wife Sunny divorced him, he tried to commit suicide a couple of times, he was arrested again for DUI and finally he had another car accident that left in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. In 1963 , Scotty stabbed his neighbour and was arrested again. Finally in 1968 he was victime of a beating( it is said that it was due to a "drug" vendetta) and was found two days later dead in his room. He was only 38 years old.

Maruz83 Guest
    Geeesss only 38 ?????????? Life went south for him didn't it (hehehe not the mexico part)