Thread: Richard Beckinsale

SlippyInvader Guest

Richard Beckinsale

The English actor best known as Lennie Godber in the sitcom "Porridge" who's life was cut short from a heart attack at just 31 years old. He had no history of cardiac problems though he was worried about his cholestrol reading and discussed this with a colleague just a few weeks before his death. I was only 8 years old when he died but I remember him being very handsome and I was upset when I heard he'd died.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	becktwo.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	346  

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Woah, I didn't even know this guy had died!! Porridge was waayy before my time, but they still show it on Sky.

31? Thats madness.

Ronnie Barker died too.

lulu Guest
    Oh that's Kate's dad?! I didn't know he was so young when he died. She must of been only a few years old.

firegilnotguns Guest
    He was good in Porridge. I knew he died young but I don't think I realised it was quite that young.

epicentre Guest
    This is weird, I was only reading his Wikipedia entry yesterday. Some interesting facts about his life and work in there. Didn't know Robbie Williams wrote a song about him.

Did you ever see Ronnie Barker's BAFTA acceptance speech which he picked up for 'Going Straight' (the sequel to Porridge) only four days after Beckinsale's death? Heartbreaking. I can remember the tremble in his voice as he fought back the tears - I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by epicentre View Post
    This is weird, I was only reading his Wikipedia entry yesterday. Some interesting facts about his life and work in there. Didn't know Robbie Williams wrote a song about him.

Did you ever see Ronnie Barker's BAFTA acceptance speech which he picked up for 'Going Straight' (the sequel to Porridge) only four days after Beckinsale's death? Heartbreaking. I can remember the tremble in his voice as he fought back the tears - I'm sure he wasn't the only one.
    Wow no I didn't know Robbie Robbie wrote a song about him.

Kate looks just like her old man i did hear that he had a congenital heart condition and that was the cause of his early departure his daughter was only 6 i think at the time.

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    His other daughter, Samantha, looks more like her dad than Kate.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
    His other daughter, Samantha, looks more like her dad than Kate.

I agree with you there she was the absolute spit of him when she was in Londons Burning. Haven't seen anything she's done recently though.

i loved him in porrige - was devasted to find that he died on my birthday - a year before i was born.... that really was a waste of talent

Genevieve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    Wow no I didn't know Robbie Robbie wrote a song about him.
    I remember now that Williams used to go out with Samantha Beckinsale. I used to have a bit of a crush on Richard, damn shame he's gone.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    i loved him in porrige - was devasted to find that he died on my birthday - a year before i was born.... that really was a waste of talent
    Ahhhh we share a birthday then

He was also in a radio series on BBC radio about an unemployed single dad. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but I do remember it was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Ahhhh we share a birthday then
    Thats sooooooooooo cool!

At the church in the middle of covent garden - they have a plaque for richard on its wall (with alot of other english actors/actresses) - its nice to know he is still remembered

Hopefully i'm going to london in december christmas shopping so i'll have to have a look thanks for leting me know about it.

He was good in "Rising Damp" aswell of course. Shortly after his death I remember watching "Bloomers", although he never completed the series they showed what there was of it. He was good, but the show itself wasn't up to the standard of Porridge and Rising Damp.

God - "Rising Damp" was *hysterical*. When I was in college back in 1980, if you didn't have cable, you got exactly 2 channels...ABC & PBS RD, Doctor in the House, To The Manor Born, Good Neighbours, The Dick Emery Show, Dave Allen At Large, Paul Hogan, Monty Python. I can thank my college student poverty for my love of British humor.

VCNJ~

erictheking97 Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sammy002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	30405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beckinsale.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	30407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	259254~Kate-Beckinsale-Posters.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	30406

Samantha was his spit, not so much Kate
    Last edited by erictheking97; 04-07-2011 at 02:26 PM.