Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Clark

Dick Clark

It seems that a lot of people don't like Dick Clark or at least his production company.

A friend of mine does an oldies doo-wop show on a little radio station in Maryland. Back in the 70s he did a similar show in Michigan. Back then he met Dick Clark and Clark recorded some promos for his show. He was using them until last month, until he received a C&D letter from Dick Clark Productions saying if he would air those again he would be sued.

Dick Clark & You Tube....A friend of mine uploaded on You Tube a clip of Kim Carnes singing Bette Davis Eyes on AB back in the early 80s. A few months later the clip was removed by You Tube due to "copyright violation". No surprise there since many entertainment and retail companies are cracking down on You Tube over videos. But in this case, she received an email from Dick Clark Productions demanding payment from her for uploading the clip and if she didn't pay up, she would be sued. I never heard of any other company do that.

Dick Clark's American Bandstand Grill. I was in Kansas City a few months back and noticed the American Bandstand grill was closed. According to the clerk at the hotel next door it was a "nothing restaurant" and he was glad to see that place closed because Dick Clark was such a "SOB".

Any other Dick Clark and/or Dick Clark Production stories out there?

deathybrad Guest
    Dick Clark is an SOB. His appearance in "Bowling for Columbine" confirmed that to me.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Dick Clark is an SOB. His appearance in "Bowling for Columbine" confirmed that to me.
    YOU READ MY MIND.....I swear when I saw that I was like HUHHHHH ??? My mom loved the guy, and I`m happy she never saw that little clip.....although there were so many times on BS I thought he was fake as hell.....and I was a kid.....

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    I saw "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" being taped in 1980. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0727719/ His buddy Ed McMahon isn't the sweetest peach on the tree either.

He was doing a warmup before taping, and some crew member must have taken his place 10 seconds after the others. No one in the audience would have noticed, but the asshole turned around and gave the poor guy a load of shit.

OT notes:
    The stairs where the audience sat were STEEP like you would not believe. The distance between Johnny's desk and the band was about half what I thought it was.
    That band was out of this freaking world.
    Johnny, it seemed, looked right at you at least once.
    Ms Welch was flawlessly beautiful.
    Mr Reiner was funny.
    When I watched that night, I heard myself laugh.

onehunglow Guest
    That old fuck ball was crook and came close to jail in the 50's. He was he Don King of Records. No one made it unless Prick ok'ed it. I'm glad he gets to look in the mirror and see the broken down old plug he is. To take a phrase from the Hollywood Knights "Clark! You asshole".

Cathy J. Guest
    Several years ago I heard an interview on the radio where the guests were two dancers from American Bandstand as well as a contestant on the old Pyramid game show. None of them spoke very highly of Dick Clark.

On one another website not too long ago I read a post from some guy who worked in the building where they did the live shots for Dick Clark's Rockin Eve. He too didn't like Clark. He actually was told that he was not to talk to even look at Dick Clark.

I heard the story that Ozzie Nelson hated Dick Clark so much he refused to allow his son Ricky to appear on American Bandstand.

I would not be surprised that once Clark passes away ( I think it will be soon ) expect a "tell all" book to come out and I am sure it will not be pretty.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 10-28-2007 at 06:49 AM.

Bake Guest
    Wow, I never knew all this...please...I never saw Bowling for Columbine...what happened in it?

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    Wow, I never knew all this...please...I never saw Bowling for Columbine...what happened in it?

Same here...never saw it...fill us in!

deathybrad Guest
    I think Michael was trying to interview him about how little he was paying the workers in his restaurants.

deathybrad Guest
    If you haven't seen it you need to.

Bellfire Guest
    I called a 1-800 number one time to get my song played on the radio and Casey Casum wouldn't play it because someone asked for it on his show the week before I guess. He made me fell bad but then my radio station played it after the show was over. I like Dick Clark though lol.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    I did work of DC Production comapany - everyone who worked there in the mid 80s hated the company and hated Dick Clark.

I have so many stories about this bastard, however all I can say is that I hope that "tell all" book comes out soon before he dies so he knows how much he is despised!

Ree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    Wow! I hear ya! I have never heard any of this before. Nor did I see "Bowling for Columbine", Imma have to check it out.

Kathyf Guest
    I always thought he was a great guy. I can't wait to find out more.

Amazing "comeback" after that stroke he had and was determined to do his New Year's Eve show - altho he could barely move from behind that desk. Ryan Seacrest did most of the show for him.

Too bad he's such an a-hole, otherwise I'd have a bit more sympathy for him...

hlh004 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post
    Wow! I hear ya! I have never heard any of this before. Nor did I see "Bowling for Columbine", Imma have to check it out.
    !SPOLIER!

[SIZE=3]Michael Moore was going to ask him why he paid his workers so less. (I beleive that one of his workers had to work like 2 jobs and because she did this, her little boy had to stay at an uncles house. While her little boy was at his uncles house he found a gun and killed a little kid that went to his school.) Sooo they were saying that if Dick Clark would of paid her better than she could have been with her son and he wouldnt have to be watched by his uncle.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ya but that dick ass pays these hard working people little to nothing! Jerk[/SIZE]

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hlh004 View Post
    !SPOLIER!

[SIZE=3]Michael Moore was going to ask him why he paid his workers so less. (I beleive that one of his workers had to work like 2 jobs and because she did this, her little boy had to stay at an uncles house. While her little boy was at his uncles house he found a gun and killed a little kid that went to his school.) Sooo they were saying that if Dick Clark would of paid her better than she could have been with her son and he wouldnt have to be watched by his uncle.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ya but that dick ass pays these hard working people little to nothing! Jerk[/SIZE]
    Actually it's worse than that - his company was subsidized by the government to hire low income workers so in real dollars Clark was only paying her and others like her less than half of minimum wage out of his own pocket. The subsidy was designed to pay her a living wage but we all know how cheap Dick is.

onehunglow Guest
    http://www.history-of-rock.com/clark.htm

Will the real tricky Dick stand up.

Reecy Guest
    I cannot believe that Dick Clark is still doing the countdown for the New years. I watched him for the 2nd time since his stroke and I still can't hardly understand him.

For many years he was called the world's oldest teenager but if I were him I would hang it up. I wanted to remember him the way he was.

Maybe some people will disagree with me but I want to remember him as that happy guy on American bandstand and on the other shows. Sure he was always happening on New Years but not anymore. He should pass the torch. He should work behind the camera.

Amen - Alan Freed was doing exactly the same thing as Dick Clark, but they made Freed the sacrifical lamb and torched his career.

P~

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    That old fuck ball was crook and came close to jail in the 50's. He was he Don King of Records. No one made it unless Prick ok'ed it. I'm glad he gets to look in the mirror and see the broken down old plug he is. To take a phrase from the Hollywood Knights "Clark! You asshole".

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    Amen - Alan Freed was doing exactly the same thing as Dick Clark, but they made Freed the sacrifical lamb and torched his career.

P~
    I feel bad for Allan Freed he was one of the 1st men in Radio to bring us that beautiful music.

Kugmu Guest
    It was just so sad to see Dick on the New Year's Eve TV Show.
    HaHa
    Let's try that again...
    I saw parts of Dick Clark's New Years Eve Show and was so sad by his appearance.
    It was difficult to watch him and difficult to understand most of what he was saying.
    I'm sorry, but i hope he retires from it all.

Thought the Carrie Underwood was great!

Cathy J. Guest
    My husband and I went out to a nightclub for New Years Eve. They had Dick Clark on one of their big screen TV sets. Quite a few people there believe Clark's apearance was actually taped from last year. I guess that is possible. Knowing that Dick's health is not the greatest to have him tape his segments in advance...just in case.

Noelle Page Guest
    As good old Phil Spector once commented, "Everyone around Dick Clark went to jail except Dick Clark." Or something. Meaning the payola scandal.

rjbrasher Guest

Dick clark

hey guys i was wondering have any one heard of this? I was thinking about this man, and i decided to check wikipedia, and it showed he died on 3-19-09 but i dont see crap on the news. I know not to trust wikipedia but has anyone seen or heard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Clark

GrinReaper Guest
    I googled and didn't find anything.

This is from someone else on another board about this same subject when Dick died earlier: "Wikipedia is vandalized like this often"

Shano Guest
    lol still alive an kickin! Although I do have him on my Dead Pool list!

rjbrasher Guest
    thanks guys, i see someone went back in and changed the date. I was going to say he is a big time celebrity, if it was real, i'm sure it would be every where on the news, online...etc

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    lol still alive an kickin! Although I do have him on my Dead Pool list!

watch this old man is going to live to be like 115! been around for ages, had a stroke and still kicking ass! clint eastwood and others will be long gone before he kills over. Is casey kesham still alive? I swear he has to be up in age also and look like he never aged.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I think Dick has a few years left in him. That guy has one strong will to live!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    I think Dick has a few years left in him. That guy has one strong will to live!
    I agree, he just keeps on going.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Like the Energizer Bunny

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    watch this old man is going to live to be like 115! been around for ages, had a stroke and still kicking ass! clint eastwood and others will be long gone before he kills over. Is casey kesham still alive? I swear he has to be up in age also and look like he never aged.
    Yeah, Casey Kasem is still around. And if anyone who employs him reads this, I can do his voice spot-on, so please get in touch when/if he dies -- the work could go on and on...

ajlposh Guest
    Stopped by the gas station last night, and saw in the Enquirer that Dick Clark's got a year left at best

Quote Originally Posted by hlh004 View Post
    !SPOLIER!

I so agree people should see the documentary -Bowling for Columbine-
    and find out how Dick Clark took advantage of the working poor in his
    restaurants in the state of Michigan.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Taggerez Guest
    Wow, it stuns me that so many of you would base your attitudes toward Dick Clark based on that so obvious bullshit moment in the larger pile of bullshit called Bowling For Combine. I guess some Americans aren't as savy as I thought.

The woman in question was a mother working part-time in one of Dick Clark's chain restaurants. So Moore tracks down Clark to ask him why he pays the employees so poorly. Clark -- who Moore put in a no win situation -- gets into a van and orders the driver to take off, Moore turns indignantly to the camera as if to suggest that Clark's refusal to talk with him represented some shameful cover-up.

HA!

Moore is worth between $50 and $100 million. He could have written that woman a check for double her annual salary on the spot and not missed it. His own staff is non-union and his own former employees say he pays them poorly and unreliably. Plus Dick Clark does not manage those restaurants himself. That whole segment was just a cheap and painfully obvious film ploy and an old one. Had Dick just promised to give the woman a new $100,000 a year salary, the whole thing would have never made it through the film's first cut.

C'mon, people. Wack Clark for Payola but not for Bowling For Combine. Jeez!

Jaxxx Guest
    Taggerez,, I love your sense of fair play, Bravo to you

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Taggerez,, I love your sense of fair play, Bravo to you
    I second that. Michael Moore is fulla shit soup.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Michael Moore tried to ask him when he was leaving
    a few questions like why does he let the state of Michigan
    send him poor welfare Mothers mostly from Detriot to work
    in his Restaurants for at the time was called Welfare to Work
    program.

But Dick Clark just slammed the door of his Limousine
    without an answer.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

GrinReaper Guest
    I'm on Michael Moore's side because he's on our side.
    Prick Clark is not.

41. 11-03-2009, 02:09 AM

Local news just switched over to Dick in Times Square-I was appalled. His speech is much worse than last year, and he is orange with makeup.

I also recently saw a show on Discovery Health about savant twins that were obsessed with DC, had corresponded with him since the 60's or 70's, and visited with him several times. He seemed nice to them, and I'm sure they will be apopleptic when he passes. Which could still be in 2009 by the looks of it. Yeesh....get the hook!!

JacksTiger Guest
    Saw the lame New Years Show on ABC last night. I think Dick Clark's recovery from his stroke is amazing on a personal level, and I wish him and all other stroke victims good luck and good health. That being said, I don't think we need to see the spectacle of his recovery on TV every New Years. He's made a ton of money and should just stay home and enjoy it. HE is not New Year's personified. We can get by without him. It is just his ego that makes him go on every year, and it frankly is not entertainment.

Forever-27 Guest
    Some people you can just read what their personality is by simply looking at them. Dick Clark looks like hed be a SOB .... just by looking at him. Michael Moore dosent influance my opinion of Dick Clark, hell Michael Moore hates capitolism, despite capitolism being what made him a rich man. Hes a very confused person who likes McDonalds hamburgers.

sheri Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    Wow, it stuns me that so many of you would base your attitudes toward Dick Clark based on that so obvious bullshit moment in the larger pile of bullshit called Bowling For Combine. I guess some Americans aren't as savy as I thought.

The woman in question was a mother working part-time in one of Dick Clark's chain restaurants. So Moore tracks down Clark to ask him why he pays the employees so poorly. Clark -- who Moore put in a no win situation -- gets into a van and orders the driver to take off, Moore turns indignantly to the camera as if to suggest that Clark's refusal to talk with him represented some shameful cover-up.

HA!

Moore is worth between $50 and $100 million. He could have written that woman a check for double her annual salary on the spot and not missed it. His own staff is non-union and his own former employees say he pays them poorly and unreliably. Plus Dick Clark does not manage those restaurants himself. That whole segment was just a cheap and painfully obvious film ploy and an old one. Had Dick just promised to give the woman a new $100,000 a year salary, the whole thing would have never made it through the film's first cut.

C'mon, people. Wack Clark for Payola but not for Bowling For Combine. Jeez!
    Moore is an asshat bigtime. He acts like he's better than everyone else. He is why I refuse to watch any "movies" he "makes." Moore is a joke and a crock, we all know this.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I second that. Michael Moore is fulla shit soup.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Some people you can just read what their personality is by simply looking at them. Dick Clark looks like hed be a SOB .... just by looking at him. Michael Moore dosent influance my opinion of Dick Clark, hell Michael Moore hates capitolism, despite capitolism being what made him a rich man. Hes a very confused person who likes McDonalds hamburgers.
    Precisely. Moore criticizes the very things that have made him a rich man. He needs to stfu and go away. Unless he's willing to actually do some real good and help others - neither of which he has done to date - he needs to just stfu. He has no clue what he talks about more the subject matters he "films." He is a very selfish, greedy, self absorbed, delusional person that needs to hook up with Octotwit.

davidbrown Guest
    Did anyone see Clark's New Year's special last night? Did he actually slur his speech then miscounted the count down? I saw the video on fark.com and wasn't sure if it as a fake or not. But I did hear he's awfully mean to a lot of people. He isn't that well liked in the industry. Clark treats his underlings like garbage.

crazedfemale Guest
    Dick Clark turned 80 this year. Ryan Seacrest has taken over the host duties, Dick just sits at a desk and makes a few comments. Melissa Rycroft attempted her best to be the roving reporter. She's getting better at these gigs, ABC just loves her.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrown View Post
    Did anyone see Clark's New Year's special last night? Did he actually slur his speech then miscounted the count down? I saw the video on fark.com and wasn't sure if it as a fake or not. But I did hear he's awfully mean to a lot of people. He isn't that well liked in the industry. Clark treats his underlings like garbage.
    He did. He went totally off the mark with the countdown for a few secs.
    I was just waiting for it.....
    Wanted to add that the reason I was waiting for it is because that kind of thing can be difficult to do when you are in that kind of shape and he seems to be rapidly declining.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 01-01-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrown View Post
    What a great site!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

GrinReaper Guest
    Is he still known as "The oldest teenager?"
    If so, I don't think that can apply any more.
    Since when do teenagers get strokes?
    Well, I mean the other kind.
    Wait. I didn't mean those kind either.
    What I meant was.... Well.. Uh.... Uh.....
    Is Clark still getting his dick stroked?
    No.... Wait... Old geez.... No nO... Oh geez....

orionova Guest
    I know of a girl who had a stroke at the age of nine, so it's not just limited to old people.