Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grady Stiles (Lobster Boy)

firegilnotguns Guest

Grady Stiles (Lobster Boy)

"In 1992, Stiles was murdered in his trailer in Gibsonton, Florida by a hit man hired by family members because of his alcoholism and abuse."

I also remember hearing (from the E! True Hollywood Story on him, I think) that he liked to use his "claws" during sex. Yeah.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...Grady%20Stiles

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    "In 1992, Stiles was murdered in his trailer in Gibsonton, Florida by a hit man hired by family members because of his alcoholism and abuse."
    [SIZE=3]
    I also remember hearing (from the E! True Hollywood Story on him, I think) that he liked to use his "claws" during sex. Yeah[/SIZE]

Welll...I suppose he couldnt use anything else but still. Ew.
    Fucked up how he killed an innocent guy, got away with it cos of his freaky hands. And he was abusive and the guy who killed him got like 12 years or something.

RoRo Guest
    somewhere in my storage I have an old postcard type picture of him...not sure where I got it...strange life and death

Sock Puppet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    somewhere in my storage I have an old postcard type picture of him...not sure where I got it...strange life and death
    He handed those out when he traveled as a sideshow freak. I'm a little jealous really. Most of the freaks had similar calling cards with their pictures and sideshow names.

I read the book lobster boy and appearently he was very abusive to his wife/fellow carnie and her and her son whacked him. Hes also on the cover of that silverchair album freakshow.

I read the book, too. Also, there was an American Justice about this fella, too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post

Fucked up how he killed an innocent guy, got away with it cos of his freaky hands. And he was abusive and the guy who killed him got like 12 years or something.
    lolol ew indeed!!

the guy who killed him got life; the killer's wife got 12 yrs.
    if someone was beating up my mum, l'd have to do something too, lobster man or no.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Claws or not....I`m not so sure I wouldn`t have shot the asshole if he had been my husband or father....pond scum....no if`s and`s or but`s...

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post

Yeah, fair enough, but, if I recall properly, I think there was a lot of "intimate pinching" that wasn't exactly okay'ed by the other parties...

Mrs. Watson Guest
    OMG I have to find more on this one. Let me see if I can a link to the whole story somewhere.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    http://phreeque.tripod.com/grady_stiles.html

http://www.killingthemessenger.com/s...eaks/index.htm (scoll down a bit, gee bet I'm gonna lose a couple hours there!)

Yes, Grady doesn't sound like a very friendly fellow, does he?

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmissashlee View Post
    Hes also on the cover of that silverchair album freakshow.

Wow ... I never realized that's who it was!! Thank you for that interesting bit of trivia!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    Yeah, fair enough, but, if I recall properly, I think there was a lot of "intimate pinching" that wasn't exactly okay'ed by the other parties...
    ewww.....and ouch!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Grady is buried about 2 miles from here. The murder trial was the talk of Tampa back then. Another case of time wounds all heels, imo.

magblax Guest
    Lobster boy..LOVE IT!!! What great topic...a miserable man though. I think his whole family had lobster claws.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Lobster boy..LOVE IT!!! What great topic...a miserable man though. I think his whole family had lobster claws.
    I think his daughter at least did, if I remember right.

Lisamarie Guest
    ewwww!!! Has anyone ever been to a side show??

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post

Do they even still have those now? I thought it was too un-PC
    ? The closest I ever been to one is Ripleys Believe It Or Not.

Sock Puppet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    I went to a super-crappy ten-in-one show that didn't have any freaks and had a badly constructed two-headed calf. The stitching around its neck was unraveling. There was also a half-woman, half-spider, that was a bored-looking carny girl sitting on a stool with her head poked through a mirror that had the oversized velour spider body attached. For some reason she was supposed to scream (I guess being a half-spider is supposed to be scary or painful or something) but I think she smoked too much or something because she started hacking and coughing in the middle, like a half-spider with half-consumption. I don't regret paying for it though, because I can say I've been to a sideshow, and few people have these days.

Sideshows declined due to television, since people could see fascinating things all the time from the privacy of their homes. There was a growing distaste due to the abusive nature of sideshows from the public, which the freaks protested (most of them were too severely deformed to make a living any other way.) However, sideshows were never banned; they simply fell out of favor and became unprofitable.

There's been a sideshow revival of sorts. There has been a troupe performing on Coney Island since 1983, and the Brothers Grimm Sideshow has appeared at events like Lollapallooza and Ozzfest as recently as this year. If you've got a strong stomach and are interested, I highly recommend it.

firegilnotguns Guest
    I went to the "freak show" in Coney Island NY about five years ago...we got a lecture from the chief freak about celebrating diversity and how no one was really a "freak" these days. (Meh, I paid money, let's see the contortionist!) Anyway, it was interesting enough but not as good as the old ones seemed...

monhol Guest
    i saw his story on cable and i am sorry i never could fathom how he abused anyone. it is like they let him catch them and abuse them. i saw a videotape of him wrestiling with his son who also had claws like him. dad did have alot of upper body strength. but again how did he abuse his wife?? no ,she had to have let him catch her or catch her off guard. i never did understand how a man with no hands and feet could do all the things he did. all the family had to do was leave his ass. maybe it is me because i just don't get it.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Ok ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

lisalouver Guest
    I was just reading about ol Grady

I swear I had the postcard signed by him from our State Fair too.

What a weird deal.

All of his kids had the same deformity.

tommyjox Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I was just reading about ol Grady

I swear I had the postcard signed by him from our State Fair too.

What a weird deal.

All of his kids had the same deformity.
    I went to the findagrave link and noticed that the virtual flower had the following message:

"The Virtual Flowers feature has been turned off for this memorial because it was being continually misused."

Ya know you'r the lowest of the low when that happens!!!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjox View Post
    I went to the findagrave link and noticed that the virtual flower had the following message:

"The Virtual Flowers feature has been turned off for this memorial because it was being continually misused."

Ya know you'r the lowest of the low when that happens!!!
    I saw that!

Cool thread, I'm going to go order the book now!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I actually saw Grady up close at a Fair in the late 80's.

Spoke to him for a moment.

He was not a happy soul.

Dylgem22 Guest
    ^^ didn't he beat his wife or something?? Maybe that is why the flowers were turned off? I thought he was involved with a murder of some sort?? Or I could be wrong . . . don't quote me!!

Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    i saw his story on cable and i am sorry i never could fathom how he abused anyone. it is like they let him catch them and abuse them. i saw a videotape of him wrestiling with his son who also had claws like him. dad did have alot of upper body strength. but again how did he abuse his wife?? no ,she had to have let him catch her or catch her off guard. i never did understand how a man with no hands and feet could do all the things he did. all the family had to do was leave his ass. maybe it is me because i just don't get it.
    Exactly! And one of the wives (or maybe the only one) married him twice. Well, if he was so abusive, why didcha go back, honey?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

2Dogs Guest
    I have a clear memory of seeing the video of Grady wrestling with his son. But I can't figure out where I saw it. Perhaps on the THS special, or maybe even on court TV during his wife's trial? I can't find any clips of it online either. Does anyone else remember seeing it?

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    I have a clear memory of seeing the video of Grady wrestling with his son. But I can't figure out where I saw it. Perhaps on the THS special, or maybe even on court TV during his wife's trial? I can't find any clips of it online either. Does anyone else remember seeing it?
    I remember that too. I do not remember where I saw it though. I t feels like it was a long time ago.

2Dogs Guest
    Same here. And I seem to remember it in the context of a courtroom. Not sure though.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Exactly! And one of the wives (or maybe the only one) married him twice. Well, if he was so abusive, why didcha go back, honey?
    I don't get that either, even tho I know staying or going back is part of the abuse pattern.
    But..at some point, the victim has to take some personal responsibility and go.
    Sometimes it has devastating consequences, as we all know, but living in a seriously abusive relationship for years and years isn't living at all.

lisalouver Guest
    Did I miss what happened to the wife after Grady was killed? Did anyone go to jail? I know it was a neighbor that was the actual shooter.

Did anyone go to jail?
    scroll down.

2Dogs Guest
    Did I miss what happened to the wife after Grady was killed? Did anyone go to jail? I know it was a neighbor that was the actual shooter.
    Maria got 12 years for conspiracy. Here is a link that briefly discusses the trial.

http://www.thehumanmarvels.com/2007/...bster-man.html

lisalouver Guest
    Thanks you guys!!!

2Dogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    scroll down.
    LOL, that was weird, are you clairvoyant? I don't see where you edited your post. How did you know?

I've had a couple more memories pop back into my mind about the video. It seems like the defense introduced it at Maria's trial to show how rough Grady was with his kids. And it did look pretty gruesome. But there was no audio. Then the prosecution got their hands on a copy that had audio and that changed or somehow "softened" what was being portrayed in the video. And I think it also cast a bit of a bad light on the defense because it made them look like they "doctored" the tape. This is all coming from memory, and I don't know if it's correct or not because I can't find hardly any reference to the video anywhere. I did find an online book review of "Lobster Boy", and the reviewer said that it was the author of the book (Fred Rosen) who provided the audio version of the tape to the prosecution. So at least I'm sure I haven't completely imagined the whole thing

Anyway, I don't feel too sorry for ole Grady getting himself killed. It sounds like he was a really mean sob. Everything that had ever been done to him, he turned around and did the same to his own children. Sure the family should have left instead of committing murder. But you know, when his daughter tried to leave, via marriage, he killed her fiancé. And he never had to serve time for it because supposedly the prison system couldn't properly care for him. I think they could have just put a jungle jim in his cell and he would have been fine.

lisalouver Guest
    LOL, that was weird, are you clairvoyant? I don't see where you edited your post. How did you know?

I've had a couple more memories pop back into my mind about the video. It seems like the defense introduced it at Maria's trial to show how rough Grady was with his kids. And it did look pretty gruesome. But there was no audio. Then the prosecution got their hands on a copy that had audio and that changed or somehow "softened" what was being portrayed in the video. And I think it also cast a bit of a bad light on the defense because it made them look like they "doctored" the tape. This is all coming from memory, and I don't know if it's correct or not because I can't find hardly any reference to the video anywhere. I did find an online book review of "Lobster Boy", and the reviewer said that it was the author of the book (Fred Rosen) who provided the audio version of the tape to the prosecution. So at least I'm sure I haven't completely imagined the whole thing

Anyway, I don't feel too sorry for ole Grady getting himself killed. It sounds like he was a really mean sob. Everything that had ever been done to him, he turned around and did the same to his own children. Sure the family should have left instead of committing murder. But you know, when his daughter tried to leave, via marriage, he killed her fiancé. And he never had to serve time for it because supposedly the prison system couldn't properly care for him. I think they could have just put a jungle jim in his cell and he would have been fine.
    I may be in the minority here, but I wonder what the daughters fiancee looked like and what kind of person he was. Apparently he saw past her disbility, which would have been a huge hurdle (even though it is not PC to talk like that) so what was so wrong with him that Grady had to kill him?

I remember seeing that fairly recently, I think maybe it was one of those 'most shocking murders' shows.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

2Dogs Guest
    I may be in the minority here, but I wonder what the daughters fiancee looked like and what kind of person he was. Apparently he saw past her disbility, which would have been a huge hurdle (even though it is not PC to talk like that) so what was so wrong with him that Grady had to kill him?
    I believe that only 2 of Grady's 4 children were born with the same condition. According to Wiki, Donna (the one who's fiance was killed) did not have it.

Also, I hope my jungle jim comment wasn't taken as a joke about disabilities. I was thinking of Grady and Grady alone when I wrote the comment. I have a lot of empathy for all his children and it seems like they turned out to be decent people in spite of him.

lisalouver Guest
    I believe that only 2 of Grady's 4 children were born with the same condition. According to Wiki, Donna (the one who's fiance was killed) did not have it.

Also, I hope my jungle jim comment wasn't taken as a joke about disabilities. I was thinking of Grady and Grady alone when I wrote the comment. I have a lot of empathy for all his children and it seems like they turned out to be decent people in spite of him.
    I did not see your comment like that at all, I laughed at it and pictured Grady on it!

sunshine74137 Guest
    They should have had a lobster boil

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    They should have had a lobster boil

No bib needed!

Are we morbid, or what?

what?
    because l wrote it months ago in post 7.

And he never had to serve time for it because supposedly the prison system couldn't properly care for him. I think they could have just put a jungle jim in his cell and he would have been fine.
    this made me LOL

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    No bib needed!

Are we morbid, or what?
    Yum?!

sunshine74137 Guest
    He was cow/man they were the surf and turf exhibit

2Dogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    what?
    because l wrote it months ago in post 7.
    Oh, ok I got ya. I thought you were referring to my post that came in right after yours. I saw your post that said "scroll down" just as mine posted below it. I'm easily confused. lol

2Dogs Guest
    Sunshine, your one-liners crack me up.

Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.