Thread: Gilbert Grape's Momma - Darlene Cates

susalu Guest

Gilbert Grape's Momma - Darlene Cates

Nope, Darlene isn't dead or close to it, as far as I know.... I mainly started this thread because of the movie, and how the kids were able to give their mother a dignified send off, by burning up the house she died in - with her in it!

I used to weigh 100 pounds more than I weigh now, and honestly, if no one else could get hurt, I would have wanted to go up in flames in my house too (after I died that is).... I am by no means tiny now, but I think my body could be wrangled without too much trouble now...

The idea that 10 years ago paramedics or morgue people would have to get me on a gurney and to the morgue or mortuary, and then shove my ass in the oven at that size petrified me... Crazy, I know... You are dead, you shouldn't care... But I would have been embarassed if I could have been...

So this is directed to other fat death hags, do you ever worry about what will happen to your body after you die?

Sus

RoRo Guest
    Nope not a bit...I figure I'm gone anyway let em have at it, as long as they get me to the Body Farm

DeadRinger Guest
    I'm having bariatric surgery early next year, but before I signed up for that, I always imagined myself being one of those fat hags you see on Jerry Springer - where they had to demolish your house to get your corpse out.

SarahThirteen Guest
    Im not over weight ( i hate saying fat for some reason) but I just wanted to say that the end of that movie always makes me cry. And I agree that it was a nice way to end it.

also sus love your avatar
    and DeadRinger good luck with the surgery!

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahThirteen View Post
    Im not over weight ( i hate saying fat for some reason) but I just wanted to say that the end of that movie always makes me cry. And I agree that it was a nice way to end it.

also sus love your avatar
    and DeadRinger good luck with the surgery!
    I agree..... Those kids knew their mom would have been embarassed at all the effort involved with getting her out... Fortunately I can still get outta my house!

When my mom went to hospice they came with a gurney and couldn't get it angled into the room cuz the hall was so narrow, so they had to carry her to the hallway... it was rough, and she was tiny! maybe 120 pounds... I think that really had an effect on me...

Anywhoo... thanks for the compliment on the avie.... you are sweet!

Sus

SarahThirteen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    I agree..... Those kids knew their mom would have been embarassed at all the effort involved with getting her out... Fortunately I can still get outta my house!

When my mom went to hospice they came with a gurney and couldn't get it angled into the room cuz the hall was so narrow, so they had to carry her to the hallway... it was rough, and she was tiny! maybe 120 pounds... I think that really had an effect on me...

Anywhoo... thanks for the compliment on the avie.... you are sweet!

Sus

Im sorry to hear that about your mom... hospice is tough. Just hearing the word Hospice is tough.. my grandpa was in hospice until they decided that the best place for him to go would be at home with family...

another thing about the movie... isnt it a crime the way they desposed of her body? I mean its understandable and was the easiest thing to do so maybe thats why it was over looked.. i dunno....

attackatdawn Guest
    I am overweight, the funny thing is when I was much younger I was way to skinny and people made fun of me then. I could lose ALOT of weight but I feel good and actually noone has made fun of me only some idiots have asked me if I am pregnant because most of my weight is on my boobs & stomach. The only thing that concerns me is hopefully the pall bearers will not have much trouble carrying my casket. I do not weigh 300lbs or better but that could change you never know. My husband had a cousin who died a few years ago in a car accident, she weighed about 450 lbs and she was short. My husband has a bad back anyway and he was one of the pall bearers, he said it was extremely difficult to carry the casket even with the other pall bearers who looked like they were struggling.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    I am overweight, the funny thing is when I was much younger I was way to skinny and people made fun of me then. I could lose ALOT of weight but I feel good and actually noone has made fun of me only some idiots have asked me if I am pregnant because most of my weight is on my boobs & stomach. The only thing that concerns me is hopefully the pall bearers will not have much trouble carrying my casket. I do not weigh 300lbs or better but that could change you never know. My husband had a cousin who died a few years ago in a car accident, she weighed about 450 lbs and she was short. My husband has a bad back anyway and he was one of the pall bearers, he said it was extremely difficult to carry the casket even with the other pall bearers who looked like they were struggling.
    yikes! another reason why i am gonna be cremated and have my ashes flung....i also hate the idea of decomposing.... yechhhh... S.

poppie Guest
    Since we are talking about fat, I am overweight,too. I do think since I come from BIG woman on both sides of the family, there is some genes business coming into play. Attackatdawn says she feels good. When I was about 20 pounds heavier, my doctor said how do you feel about this extra weight? We had a long talk and she told me, you seem at peace with it,you are relatively healthy, so why go thru this each time we meet? Once I got out, sat myself down, and thought thru what she said - the doctor was right. I no longer beat myselfup for being overweight. Worse things could be happening to my body.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Since we are talking about fat, I am overweight,too. I do think since I come from BIG woman on both sides of the family, there is some genes business coming into play. Attackatdawn says she feels good. When I was about 20 pounds heavier, my doctor said how do you feel about this extra weight? We had a long talk and she told me, you seem at peace with it,you are relatively healthy, so why go thru this each time we meet? Once I got out, sat myself down, and thought thru what she said - the doctor was right. I no longer beat myselfup for being overweight. Worse things could be happening to my body.
    i agree with you poppie, to the extent that i love myself and who i am, including every pound of my bod.... but when i hit 40, it was like my body said, what the fuck are you doing to me??? i got high blood pressure, diabetes, and the beginnings of knee and hip troubles... then i lost several family members due to bad health, and i thought, i wanna be there and be able to chase my grandkids around... i am still big, but i do feel a million times better... just being able to buckle my seatbelt on a plane without an extender, or fitting into a seat at the theater... those little things have been a huge ego booster...

you should never beat yourself up for being big... there are too many people around that will happily do it for you... and fuck them, you know!?!

we rock! big, bigger, or biggest!!

Sus