Thread: George Parkman - Dismembered at Harvard

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest

George Parkman - Dismembered at Harvard

Thought I'd post an article from a mag I help edit. George Parkman was murdered and dismembered by a professional rival who hid his body (parts) in one of the Med School buildings!

http://alumnibulletin.med.harvard.ed...ies/murder.php

"On the morning of November 23, 1849, George Parkman donned a purple silk vest, a dark frock coat and trousers, and a black stovepipe hat. He strode purposefully through the WestEnd of Boston, his lower jaw jutting forward in the characteristic way that had earned him the moniker ??The Chin.? He collected rent from several tenants, purchased a head of lettuce at Quincy Market for his ailing daughter, and stopped to order butter and sugar from a local grocer. He then mounted the steps of Harvard??s medical college*, a building that had been opened, amid much pomp and circumstance, just three years earlier on land donated by Parkman himself.

Parkman regarded the medical college as something of a jewel in his real estate empire and proudly called it ??a piece of the Holy Land.? During that Friday before Thanksgiving, however, the medical college was about to play host to events far removed from the sacred; George Parkman, esteemed Harvard alumnus, physician, and real estate mogul, did not leave the building alive..."

Thanks for that, very interesting read.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Awesome article, Fool, thank you for posting! I live about four miles from Harvard, so this is basically in my neighborhood. Well, not really, because i can't afford Cambridge property, but you know what I mean...

I just love old murders like this, and it's one I didn't know about. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Awesome article, Fool, thank you for posting! I live about four miles from Harvard, so this is basically in my neighborhood. Well, not really, because i can't afford Cambridge property, but you know what I mean...
    Somerville?

Guest Guest
    Purple silk vest? Black stovepipe hat? Wow, he could be my twin!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    Somerville?
    Exactly! I can't even afford West Somerville now, though. Back in 1990, we could basically name our rent price with our landlord for an apartment right around Davis Square. When we moved out, the landlord nearly tripled the rent for the next tenant!
    Last edited by amaranthaseven; 09-29-2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo

Reading these threads is like picking up a copy of Mad Magazine! I truly LOL!!!!! So funny..... He could be your twin. har har
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Exactly! I can't even afford West Somerville now, though. Back in 1990, we could basically name our rent price with our landlord for an apartment right around Davis Square. When we moved out, the landlord nearly tripled the rent for the next tenant!
    I lived in Teele and wanted to buy there but got priced out.

Supposedly Somerville is new Cambridge... and Dorchester is the new South End!

lab_rat Guest
    Great read!