Thread: Bizarre Death of Carter Albrecht

magblax Guest

Bizarre Death of Carter Albrecht

He was a member of Edie Brickell and the New Bohiemians and was killed by his girlfriend's neighbor in September (34 yrs old). The whole case was kind of bizarre. Now I've read that the stop smoking drug Chantix might have been to blame.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall...3623085&page=1

This drug is not yet approved in Japan...we tend to lag a good 3 years behind the US as it is...and the Health Ministry here is super anal--erm, strict. Scary shite, man.

whoa!

I didn't know what post would be my first, but this seems like a good place to start.

Carter was a friend of mine. He was, in fact, on Chantrix. He was also legally drunk when he died. His b.a.c. was 0.27, which is more than double the legal limit.

I believe that a combination of excessive alcohol and Chantrix led to Carter's psychotic break, which led to his accidental shooting. The neighbor meant to fire a warning shot over the intruder's head. The intruder was 6'5".

What a bummer.

i don't know a whole lot about this guy, but i remember hearing about his death.

i think it's disturbing that most prescription drugs nowadays have side effects that are far worse than whatever condition you're being treated for. no thanks, i'd rather have black lungs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Cataroo Guest
    Every time I think about taking something to help me stop smoking, I read something like this and think, "Screw it ... I'll take my chances and continue to smoke." At least they KNOW what the side effects are and they're now out in the open ...

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by APYGirl View Post
    I didn't know what post would be my first, but this seems like a good place to start.

Carter was a friend of mine. He was, in fact, on Chantrix. He was also legally drunk when he died. His b.a.c. was 0.27, which is more than double the legal limit.

I believe that a combination of excessive alcohol and Chantrix led to Carter's psychotic break, which led to his accidental shooting. The neighbor meant to fire a warning shot over the intruder's head. The intruder was 6'5".

What a bummer.
    Thanks for responding APYGirl! Carter was a talented musician (love the New Bohiemians). The whole thing is so sad. it's good to hear the real story from a friend. Sorry about your loss and welcome to the board!!

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Thanks for responding APYGirl! Carter was a talented musician (love the New Bohiemians). The whole thing is so sad. it's good to hear the real story from a friend. Sorry about your loss and welcome to the board!!
    i can't believe the neighbor is not in trouble at all?! since when is banging on someone's door and yelling a good reason to shoot someone? that is criminal! call the police, man... if he gets in, then you can shoot him... christ...

that's just wrong and senseless...

s

RoRo Guest
    I read about this in People, its a sad story to be sure

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Cripes, I'm in the process of quitting smoking right now. I asked my doc about Chantrix and he was absolutley adamant that he would never prescribe it. After doing a little research, suicide and pyschosis are side effects! Yikes, no thanks. Quitting is bad enough.

I'm using Zyban, going cold turkey if anyone is interested. I'm hanging in. Second day.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Cripes, I'm in the process of quitting smoking right now. I asked my doc about Chantrix and he was absolutley adamant that he would never prescribe it. After doing a little research, suicide and pyschosis are side effects! Yikes, no thanks. Quitting is bad enough.

I'm using Zyban, going cold turkey if anyone is interested. I'm hanging in. Second day.
    you can do it, Lisa!!! S

Mrs. Watson Guest
    One more day and the nicotine will be out of my body and the rest is in my head. I did a bunch of reading/research and the best way to do it is just quit the nicotine completely. No patch, no gum, etc. Pills to ease the jitters are okay, but nothing containing nicotine.

The first day I was ready to offer one of the dogs as a sacrifice to Satan for a carton of Marlboro Lights. I'm doing okay now. Not great. Okay.

My desk is really really clean!

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    i can't believe the neighbor is not in trouble at all?! since when is banging on someone's door and yelling a good reason to shoot someone? that is criminal! call the police, man... if he gets in, then you can shoot him... christ...

that's just wrong and senseless...

s
    The neighbor is not in trouble for a couple of reasons. 1) It is perfectly legal and acceptable, especially in Texas, to use a handgun to protect your home and 2) it was past 3am, and Carter had beaten up his girlfriend (how I know he had a psychotic break...the man wouldn't even kill a cockroach), and was screaming and pounding on the neighbor's door. It was a scary and all-around effed up situation. The neighbor meant to fire over Carter's head, through the door, and scare away whoever was beating on his door in the middle of the night. He had no way to know the person on the other side was just so goddamned tall!

I wish with every fiber of my being that the neighbor had chosen another means of home protection. I wish like hell that Carter had not been taking Chantrix. I wish that he'd been sober. I wish I wish I wish.

Please check out some of Carter's work with Sorta. The song Eighty Five Feet is really catchy, and quite haunting these days. Laugh Out Loud is good one too.

To those of you who are quitting smoking: Rock on! Way to be strong.

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Yeah, my boyfriend and I just laugh at some of these prescription ads on TV, such as: "Breathe easier with (prescription name here). Side effects include rash, nausea, vomiting, headaches, extreme abdominal pain, fainting, etc."

One could almost forget why they started taking the prescription in the first place!

pvezz Guest
    I've been taking Chantix for 3 weeks. I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes in almost 2 weeks, and believe me, I couldn't have done it without these pills. Hubby and I were 1 1/2 pack a day smokers for 20 years; we both went on the meds and both quit. I don't have the constant cravings that I had when I used the patch to try and quit. I've had some crazy-ass dreams since I started the pills, but other than that, NOTHING.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Pvezz, just please be careful! But you know that. It also seems that the Chantix can have an abnormal effect on anyone with a history of depression or who should be taking anti-depressants or has taken them. Good luck! I'm hanging in, I can't believe it. Smoking was like my hobby.

I like the drug that says side effects may be the urge to gamble and insatiable sex drive and driving when you are asleep. Can't think of what drug it is. "Hey honey! Guess what? I'm in Toledo, I gambled away the mortgage payment and there's six hookers in the motel room with me! But I feel GREAT!"

susalu Guest
    The neighbor is not in trouble for a couple of reasons. 1) It is perfectly legal and acceptable, especially in Texas, to use a handgun to protect your home and 2) it was past 3am, and Carter had beaten up his girlfriend (how I know he had a psychotic break...the man wouldn't even kill a cockroach), and was screaming and pounding on the neighbor's door. It was a scary and all-around effed up situation.
    i guess the "acceptable" part is where i would differ... i could see if he had gained entry, but to shoot at someone through a door (if it's not Jason or Freddy) is over the line in my book.... in colorado we have make my day, and it used to be that the intruder had to be in the house, but they have expanded it to the yard and even the street in front of your house... i find that unreal... and wrong...

just my humble opinion... sus

Sus, I am not a fan of guns either. In this case, guns cost the world a beautiful person, a phenomenal musician and one seriously fucking funny guy.

But I also live in what is arguably the most gun-happy state in the Union. Concealed handgun? Legal. "Protecting" your home with a semi-automatic weapon? Also legal.

I would never allow a gun into my home. The damage they do is permanent.

susalu Guest
    Sus, I am not a fan of guns either. In this case, guns cost the world a beautiful person, a phenomenal musician and one seriously fucking funny guy.

But I also live in what is arguably the most gun-happy state in the Union. Concealed handgun? Legal. "Protecting" your home with a semi-automatic weapon? Also legal.

I would never allow a gun into my home. The damage they do is permanent.
    god bless texas i wouldn't fit in there too well, i think!! Sus

cherryghost Guest
    Giving up smoking can seriously endanger your health! Using drugs for any addiction can! Read Allan Carrs book it will do it! Unfortuately Allan Carr died of lung cancer from councelling smokers while they smoked and he helped them or that is what I have read! Addictions are really bad for us!

insanejeff Guest
    Very sad. People need to talk to their doctors and insist on getting off medications at the first sign of disturbing effects like this. I had these vivid, disturbing dreams when taking the antidepressant Remeron earlier this year and had to taper off them.

Some doctors will encourage you to stick with something, saying that side effects will ease in time.. it's bullshit. If something bothers you, get off it!