Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Phil Hartman

Good God ! I had no idea they were buried together, the killer and her victim. That's kind of sick.

That has got to give their poor kids mixed feelings when they visit the gravesite.

Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    Wow, I share a birth date (not year) with *****.
    Sorry to manipulate your post, I astericked her name...I don't even want to look at it.

I still remember this happening - I was 11 and a big fan of his from SNL and "House guest"
    I was 11 too...so I guess we're both 27!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

So I was rereading this thread and Googled Brynns name because I couldn't remember anything about her except "tall blonde" and this could be an autopsy photo. Not super gory but cleaned up face close up. Looks like her but I'm not positive. Warning: death pic:

http://ravepad.com/page/phil-hartman...d-images-Pic-2

That's Abigail Folger,one of the Manson Family victims from 1969.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    That's Abigail Folger,one of the Manson Family victims from 1969.
    Most definitely Abigail Folger.

new book on his life and death. brynn was nuts.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/06/inside-...-phil-hartman/

The fact that Phil died at a fairly young age and not by choice makes his death something that still pisses me off. Bill McNeal was an inspiration to me when I was still a union airline employee.

Interesting from what I read, did he not realize that she was a mess ? Maybe all the pot put him in another zone where he didn't have to deal with her. Personally, her jealous nature and other antics wold have scared the shit out of me ! Bye Brynn, see ya !

It's not only women that marry someone thinking they can help change them to a better person.

I thought their ashes were scattered together in the waters by the Catalina Islands? Maybe that gravestone is just a "marker" for friends & family to visit?

Or in some cases "use" them, that can and does happen either way. Paul Snider and Dorothy Stratten comes to mind.

Just read:

You Might Remember Me: The Life and Times of Phil Hartman by Mike Thomas

The book details Phil's early days in Canada his family's move to California in 1958. The family was poor, his father drank too much and his mother held the family of 10 together ( Phil's mentally challenged sister was left behind in Canada)

Phil was a talented guy and possessed both artistic and athletic abilities. He engaged in surfing/sailing/scuba diving/flying/ skiing. He worked as an graphic artist and writer throughout the 1970's and early 1980's. He joined SNL in 1986 at the age of 38 which was a bit old but immediately became a mentor to many of the younger cast members.

Phil had two failed marriages - early 70s and early 80s. He meets Vicki Jo Omdahl ( Brynn Hartman) in 1986 and marries her 1987. Two kids follow born 1988 and 1992.

The marriage is troubled from the beginning. Phil wants a trophy wife and ends up with a crazy alcoholic and drug addict. Check out this video from 1992 - Phil and Brynn with Howard Stern. Brynn comes on at 17:00. Uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wW15PJgXC8

May 27/28, 1998 - the book does a great job on the last hours of Phil and Brynn. Why did Brynn kill her husband and herself ??? There is much speculation in the book. Was Phil about to trade her in for a younger woman ??? Was Phil gay ??? I would suspect Phil had enough of Brynn and her demands for a career and her addictions. He just all came to a head on that night. Brynn wasn't going to be satisfied with a sizeable settlement and divorce - she wasn't going to be ignored.

The author interviewed numerous friends and family members - none of them thought Brynn was capable of murder/suicide. They also say Brynn was a great mother ????

Some tidbits:

Phil went to junior high with Squeaky Fromme
    Jon Lovitz was a good friend to Phil
    Andy Dick snorted cocaine with Brynn on Dec 31/1997. Five months before the murder/suicide
    Jon Lovitz hates Andy Dick
    Brynn hated Phil's dope smoking
    Phil was considered for the Price is Right announcer's job
    Phil was also considered for the job of Jay Leno's sidekick
    Phil was a gun collector. Brynn owned two guns which she utilized on that fateful night

Great description of Phil's memorial service and the tension between the two families.
    No mention of what became of Phil's two kids. This is Phil's daughter's facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0111762&type=1
    Last edited by cash; 10-25-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Just read:

You Might Remember Me: The Life and Times of Phil Hartman by Mike Thomas

The book details Phil's early days in Canada his family's move to California in 1958. The family was poor, his father drank too much and his mother held the family of 10 together ( Phil's mentally challenged sister was left behind in Canada)

Phil was a talented guy and possessed both artistic and athletic abilities. He engaged in surfing/sailing/scuba diving/flying/ skiing. He worked as an graphic artist and writer throughout the 1970's and early 1980's. He joined SNL in 1986 at the age of 38 which was a bit old but immediately became a mentor to many of the younger cast members.

Phil had two failed marriages - early 70s and early 80s. He meets Vicki Jo Omdahl ( Brynn Hartman) in 1986 and marries her 1987. Two kids follow born 1988 and 1992.

The marriage is troubled from the beginning. Phil wants a trophy wife and ends up with a crazy alcoholic and drug addict. Check out this video from 1992 - Phil and Brynn with Howard Stern. Brynn comes on at 17:00. Uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wW15PJgXC8

May 27/28, 1998 - the book does a great job on the last hours of Phil and Brynn. Why did Brynn kill her husband and herself ??? There is much speculation in the book. Was Phil about to trade her in for a younger woman ??? Was Phil gay ??? I would suspect Phil had enough of Brynn and her demands for a career and her addictions. He just all came to a head on that night. Brynn wasn't going to be satisfied with a sizeable settlement and divorce - she wasn't going to be ignored.

The author interviewed numerous friends and family members - none of them thought Brynn was capable of murder/suicide. They also say Brynn was a great mother ????

Some tidbits:

Phil went to junior high with Squeaky Fromme
    Jon Lovitz was a good friend to Phil
    Andy Dick snorted cocaine with Brynn on Dec 31/1997. Five months before the murder/suicide
    Jon Lovitz hates Andy Dick
    Brynn hated Phil's dope smoking
    Phil was considered for the Price is Right announcer's job
    Phil was also considered for the job of Jay Leno's sidekick
    Phil was a gun collector. Brynn owned two guns which she utilized on that fateful night

Great description of Phil's memorial service and the tension between the two families.
    No mention of what became of Phil's two kids. This is Phil's daughter's facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0111762&type=1
    WOW...that Howard Stern interview is freaky. Especially when Howard says to Phil "this is the woman you'll spend eternity with." A Death Hag's dream!

I just started reading the Mike Thomas bio...so far, a very interesting read. I was a big SNL fan during the Phil Hartman/Jan Hooks era and look forward to reading about the behind-the-scenes stuff that went on. Everyone seemed to think very highly of Phil. So sad he's gone.

I'm a little behind but here's Birgen's LinkedIn.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/birgen-hartman/91/522/0

Quote Originally Posted by poncholefty1 View Post
    I'm a little behind but here's Birgen's LinkedIn.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/birgen-hartman/91/522/0
    Let's hope she continues to do well for herself, she certainly seems to have come out ahead of this horrible tragedy.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

maddmatt Guest
    Great post, I find a such a shame that she didn't leave Phil and marry Howard Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt View Post
    Great post, I find a such a shame that she didn't leave Phil and marry Howard Stern.
    ^^like^^ That made me choke laughing.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Queena Guest
    One day, I was at a small beach on the North side of Chicago. A man, surrounded by 4 people walked up to the rocks. He was covered with a towel over his head. After 20 minutes they left. As they were leaving one of the members of his group walked to my friends and I. She said, please say congratulations to Andy Dick. He's been dober for 120 days. We all congratulated him, and he walked away.

This was summer 2008.

Watching classic SNL all this weekend. A whole lot of episodes with Phil. A few hours ago I started crying while watching him. I still miss the guy so much.

He was the best freaking comedian SNL ever had. Like alot of his castmates said. He was "The Glue" that kept everyone together. Such a wonderful dude who should still be alive. Just a tragic ending to a wonderful life.

Finally noticed his bitch of a wife in the opening. Didn't really catch that until now because they don't seem to air these episodes much. And, I haven't really seen them since I was a kid until now.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 02-08-2015 at 05:25 AM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Birgen attended the SNL 40 Anniversary Special.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6697852.html
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

She's so pretty. I'm glad she got to go. I loved the show but wish they had shown more complete sketches. So good to see Chris Farley in action too.

darkdistiller Guest
    There aren't a lot of celebrities that have passed in my lifetime that I can say I really miss. Out of those few Phil is one of them.
    Loved him on SNL, the Simpsons, and NewsRadio.

Can't wait to see what the biopic will be like. I know Daren Norris from his voice acting stuff. Will have to check out some of his film/tv stuff as well.

Birgen posted on her instagram that she has been drug-free for 4 years now...https://www.instagram.com/p/BB0PcfND-GO/
    I'm happy for her and she looks so beautiful..she has been engaged and she will be wearing her mom's wedding band..
    https://www.instagram.com/p/1tylzlj-Oz/

can't find any updated info about her brother though..

26. 02-21-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fishhead View Post
    Watching classic SNL all this weekend. A whole lot of episodes with Phil. A few hours ago I started crying while watching him. I still miss the guy so much.

He was the best freaking comedian SNL ever had. Like alot of his castmates said. He was "The Glue" that kept everyone together. Such a wonderful dude who should still be alive. Just a tragic ending to a wonderful life.

Finally noticed his bitch of a wife in the opening. Didn't really catch that until now because they don't seem to air these episodes much. And, I haven't really seen them since I was a kid until now.

Apparently what I heard what they were arguing about her credits or his credits- she wanted to be facing the camera & she turned her head just in time. Hence the earrings.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    shes only .....what 20-something. Thats shocking to hear actually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Apparently what I heard what they were arguing about her credits or his credits- she wanted to be facing the camera & she turned her head just in time. Hence the earrings.....
    Please combine these.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Birgen talking about her father: ' as another father's day comes to an end, I remind myself that no matter what, I'm very fortunate to have had a number of great father figures in my life... but this dapper dude will always have my heart... I miss him dearly'
    Posted on her Instagram account .
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BG2-9KXj-PV/

Such a tragic loss, especially for the children.

[SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Hard to believe it’s been that long. The photo in this article shows (I believe) only 2 now-deceased SNL actors, who happen to be goofing off together in the shot: Phil, and Chris Farley.

The whole damn skit is a riot, but here’s 8 seconds of Phil losing it while Chris exaggerates a caricatured Hank Williams Jr.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRt...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-29-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

"The Last Days of Phil Hartman" airs Thursday, September 19 on ABC

https://abc.go.com/news/insider/watc...nd-the-abc-app

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    "The Last Days of Phil Hartman" airs Thursday, September 19 on ABC

https://abc.go.com/news/insider/watc...nd-the-abc-app
    Did anyone else watch this? I haven't read any books about it, but it made me see the situation a little differently. Phil's wife seemed to be very narcissistic and troubled. She was definitely on a downward spiral. It seemed possible the reaction to Zoloft may have pushed her over the edge, but she already had serious issues that caused Phil to hide his gun. The danger signs were there, she was not only an addict and mentally ill, she was very violent and perpetually angry. I'm guessing she had played out the act of killing Phil in her own mind many times before.

That said, I had a little different view of Phil. He was a difficult marriage partner and had some issues of his own. He certainly didn't contribute to his own death, nor does it make me feel sympathy for his wife, but it shows she wasn't just off her rocker because of drugs and professional jealousy.

Hadn't thought about how his kids are so much older now (late 20's to early 30's) and that they've gone on to have good lives without serious problems. Though it wasn't discussed much, it's apparent both of them saw and heard some really horrible things that night. One of the LE who were interviewed said they found their daughter in her bedroom, terrified, huddled in a corner with her comforter over her head. Poor kids.

There also seemed to be some question about whether Andy Dick actually supplied Phil's wife with cocaine that night. He says that only happened once, several months before the murder. Did LE say anything about where she got cocaine that night? In police reports, there's no mention of her meeting up with Andy Dick. Not defending Dick in any way. He's not a nice person, but this may not have been his fault. I'm guessing she was enough of a hard core addict for so many years that she had her own drug dealer who she bought from regularly.
    Last edited by Demgirl; 09-20-2019 at 08:03 AM.

I watched it. Good show. Phil wasn't a Saint. None of us are. If only he had been sapiosexual, he would have looked past the surface and seen the crazy bitch inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Did anyone else watch this? I haven't read any books about it, but it made me see the situation a little differently. Phil's wife seemed to be very narcissistic and troubled. She was definitely on a downward spiral. It seemed possible the reaction to Zoloft may have pushed her over the edge, but she already had serious issues that caused Phil to hide his gun. The danger signs were there, she was not only an addict and mentally ill, she was very violent and perpetually angry. I'm guessing she had played out the act of killing Phil in her own mind many times before.

That said, I had a little different view of Phil. He was a difficult marriage partner and had some issues of his own. He certainly didn't contribute to his own death, nor does it make me feel sympathy for his wife, but it shows she wasn't just off her rocker because of drugs and professional jealousy.

Hadn't thought about how his kids are so much older now (late 20's to early 30's) and that they've gone on to have good lives without serious problems. Though it wasn't discussed much, it's apparent both of them saw and heard some really horrible things that night. One of the LE who were interviewed said they found their daughter in her bedroom, terrified, huddled in a corner with her comforter over her head. Poor kids.

There also seemed to be some question about whether Andy Dick actually supplied Phil's wife with cocaine that night. He says that only happened once, several months before the murder. Did LE say anything about where she got cocaine that night? In police reports, there's no mention of her meeting up with Andy Dick. Not defending Dick in any way. He's not a nice person, but this may not have been his fault. I'm guessing she was enough of a hard core addict for so many years that she had her own drug dealer who she bought from regularly.

I think the reason so many hate him is his attitude towards it and the fact some think if he hadn't got her hooked again, this might not have happened. Obviously, he didn't force her to take it but he knew her history and it was a shitty thing to do to dangle it in front of her like a carrot to begin with but that is seemingly Andy all over.

Add to that, he was making jokes about it after, actually bragging about putting the 'Phil Hartman Hex' on people and killing them until he did it to the wrong person...Jon Lovitz who kicked the crap out of him.

Andy has always been a dick. His surname is appropriate.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post

Watched it; enjoyed the family home-vid clips, especially of Phil in the pool with his kids.
    Agree that Phil wasn’t responsible for any of Brynn’s actions, but that he seemed to choose relationships that he didn’t actually *want*. That’s fine if you enjoy women for a couple months and then not any more. That’s called dating, not marriage. Or, it’s called stay single and be occasionally lonely, without causing anyone avoidable pain. Phil and Brynn married each other with the thought they’d “get something” specific from each other/the marriage. Neither of them got that thing (for Brynn, acting success and support from Phil). Lots of marriages are based on such unspoken “deals”. It’s too bad.

Agree that Andy Dick wasn’t directly responsible, or possibly even indirectly. The coke he gave Brynn 6 months earlier may have been her falling off the wagon, but Dick didn’t know that at the time (although there are accounts of other comedians/celebs partying with him - whether he coerced them or not, he was known as a partying guy). It was kind of nice seeing how upset he was in this doc. Meaning, he genuinely cared about the Hartman family and will always feel some guilt about having played a part in any way towards the downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I watched it. Good show. Phil wasn't a Saint. None of us are. If only he had been sapiosexual, he would have looked past the surface and seen the crazy bitch inside.
    Love this, Mel.

The woman was responsible for her own actions. It's impossible to know whether Phil would've married her if he'd known what she really was.

I just saw the episode of News Radio that paid homage to Phil after his death on local TV. I haven't seen it since it originally aired. The cast and writers did a great job. My favorite part was when the characters were going home from the office. Each one took home a memento from Bill's (Phil's character's) desk. Once the lights were out and the last person had left, there's a moment of the camera zooming in slowly on Bill's empty desk. Then, the camera zooms out, and we hear a ding! It's the station owner, Jimmy James, and a couple of guys in overalls pushing a dolly. One of the guys mentions that Jimmy could have any desk he wants, but Jimmy says, "No. I want this one," hops up on it, and the movers wheel Jimmy and Bill's desk into the elevator. The camera then focuses on the empty space where Bill's desk had been as if to say, "This is one big empty space that can't ever be filled." That's the way I've always felt about Phil's death. Lots of great talent out there, but none of those people are Phil. It's hard to believe he's been dead for over 20 years. I'm glad his kids grew up to be happy and from what I can tell, have made peace with what happened to their dad.

There was a News Radio-a-thon over the weekend. It was nice seeing that many show's in order. Funny azz ensemble cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Good God ! I had no idea they were buried together, the killer and her victim. That's kind of sick.
    A very good point, and thank you for saying this.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    A very good point, and thank you for saying this.
    Yeah, that's fucked up.