Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I think she is a good actress (except Ironman where she sucked) even though she fucked her way up but she is incredibly disillusioned about the real world. I'm sure she has many fans of zombies who think she is the ultimate.
    War and Peace is just the limit.
    Man you have to wonder why some people make it in show business
    and other don't.

So many people want to be stars that it's crazy! Madonna is one of
    the people I wonder about.
    She never seemed to have really fantastic talent yet she was really
    up there with all sorts of great songs and publicity.

Makes one wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    HEY!!! What's wrong with the brit way of speaking?!?!
    Perdi luv, I know you're just joking, but I'm going to answer anyway!

The brit way of speaking is absolutely wonderful when native speakers speak it. Honestly. That's why so many of us forgave Hugh Grant for getting it on with that she-male back in the day, why Colin Farrell doesn't even have to bathe, and why we need subtitles to watch "The Full Monty."

A very good British pal of mine (from the north)--who refers to himself as the missing link, looks-wise--lived in the US for awhile, and he said gals would just stop and stare and smile when he started talking.

We don't know one accent from another, we just loooove them all. But no one wants to hear American-accented Britspeak! That's just sacrilegious. No no no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    that's rubbish!

she has madonna-itis. she thinks because she is married to a brit she can adopt a faux brit way of speaking.

what a hag. and i don't mean death hag (the finest hag).
    LOL, or what Carrie says Samantha has in an episode of Sex and the City:
    "She has a case of the Madonnas."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    That's a good idea!
    Any hags around here with the computer skillz to start creating something like that?
    I'd be glad to write up reviews based on my own taste test for the "plain wrap beer."
    And it could be a heck of a reading/movie list.
    After all, if a few hags who don't like it here can leave and start their own forums, why can't a few other hags start their own poop?
    The whole newletter would be a page-turner for sure!!

WriterDude Guest
    She was pretty great in "Shakespeare In Love". I'm guessing that was before the lobotomy.

TallulahDahling Guest
    Well I adored her in that Jack Black flick when she wore the fat suit. Maybe it was because of the fat suit?
    More things to ponder on this mahvelous day, dahlings!

Rudy's Girl Guest
    It's a fact that Gwynie is one of a handful of celebrities who are where they are because their parents where in the biz first, plain and simple. I wonder if that even crosses her mind.....
    Last edited by Rudy's Girl; 03-20-2009 at 11:37 AM.

IrishBabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post

The brit way of speaking is absolutely wonderful when native speakers speak it. Honestly. That's why so many of us forgave Hugh Grant for getting it on with that she-male back in the day, why Colin Farrell doesn't even have to bathe, and why we need subtitles to watch "The Full Monty."

A very good British pal of mine (from the north)--who refers to himself as the missing link, looks-wise--lived in the US for awhile, and he said gals would just stop and stare and smile when he started talking.

We don't know one accent from another, we just loooove them all. But no one wants to hear American-accented Britspeak! That's just sacrilegious. No no no.
    Two points: 1) Colin Farrell does bathe. I just know it. He just looks like he smells good. And 2) He's Irish, not English. You're liable to get your head eaten off if you confuse the two to an Irishman.

Perdi Guest

What....you know Liam Gallagher?!?! hee hee!!! I guess we Brits do have a certain something going on when it comes to our accents! Well we gotta have something...the weathers pants!!!

I was wondering what her middle initials are, since GOOP apparently is her initials. So I came up with these:

Olivia (naw, too plain)
    Ophelia
    Othello (she does love her Shakespeare, mates, and who cares that it's a man's name)
    Oedipus (Greek, even more pretentious)
    or...my made-up name
    Oemma

A lovely Oxford English Dictionary way of spelling Emma, which has a little added "Greekness" about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MorbidMolly Guest
    Rot Rot and cherrio......hey Kitty, can ya teach me to speak all Goop like ???

beatlebaby4 Guest
    The Goop language is GOOPIAN - you need to be a pasty white, uppercrust, celeb born, snob to speak GOOPIAN.

You know, she really does have a case of the Madonna's. Marry a Brit, move to London, turn haughty, and then act like you invented yoga, kabbalah, and macrobiotic cooking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    You know, she really does have a case of the Madonna's. Marry a Brit, move to London, turn haughty, and then act like you invented yoga, kabbalah, and macrobiotic cooking.

IrishBabe Guest
    I was wondering what her middle initials are, since GOOP apparently is her initials. So I came up with these:

Olivia (naw, too plain)
    Ophelia
    Othello (she does love her Shakespeare, mates, and who cares that it's a man's name)
    Oedipus (Greek, even more pretentious)
    or...my made-up name
    Oemma

A lovely Oxford English Dictionary way of spelling Emma, which has a little added "Greekness" about it.

Her middle name is Kate. I don't know where she got the 'OO's.

Hmmm, yeah, that's weird. I wish her initials WERE actually GOOP, then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

G.Obnoxious Ostentatious P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

IrishBabe Guest

That's what I would vote for!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Love it!

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    http://www.dlisted.com/node/31635

LOL..... 'Tales from the Toilet'

Love you Michael K!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael K
    I'd rather be an evil gossiper than a snobby cunt who can't even let out a relaxing fart because a giant stick of delusional is shoved so far up her own ass. But forgive me, that's the evil energy talking.
    Here here!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    *snort*

sablegsd Guest
    Barf. She couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. She got where she is due to nepotism. And I like how d-listed calls her fishsticks paltrow.

MmmRavioli Guest
    I don't know.. this is just life as she knows it. So she was born privileged. She just has different obstacles than most people. It's not like she's shoving anything down our throats. Nobody has to read it.

I've glanced at it before. It had some good stuff, but nothing particularly eye-opening for me. Nothing I haven't seen before.

John Connor Guest

Bitch Fight

There have been rumors about tension between Scarlett Johansson and Gwyneth Paltrow for months. It all started when Iron Man 2 was being filmed, and reports started leaking that Gwyneth was upset with all the attention ScarJo got from cast and crew, especially when ScarJo donned her skintight catsuit.
    The drama escalated with last week??s Entertainment Weekly preview of Iron Man 2 - in which Gwyneth was mysteriously absent from the promotional images. Reportedly, Gwyenth was furious, although her rep formally denied it. The report at that time was that Gwyneth was in such a snit, she would pull out of some of her promotional duties until producers started giving her the star treatment. I thought there was something to that report - especially given that Gwyneth didn??t show up for Comic-Con with the rest of the cast.
    Meanwhile, Scarlett has been trying to do some damage control as she does advanced press for Iron Man 2. There were some vague reports that ScarJo sort of denied that there was tension between her and Paltrow, and now Io9 has a new interview where ScarJo tries her best to end the rumors. ScarJo??s defense? That Goopy is ??out of the loop? because she spends so much time with her ??wonderful family?.
    Io9: Are there any truth rumors about the cat fight between you and Gwyneth Paltrow?
    SJ: No, nothing could be further from the truth. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about working with her. Well, she??s very much out of the loop. She??s very much out of the loop, you know ?? she??s got a wonderful family whom she spends a lot of time with. So for her, she??s like, ??What??s going on? What?? And of course Jon [Favreau] who??s on his Twitter, he??s crazy about any kind of news about anything. He??s like ??You haven??t heard? You haven??t heard?? And he comes onto set and we??re both like, ??Oh god.? Every time I would say to Gwyneth, ??Oh yeah, that was on the seventh,? and she??d say, ??Are you sure it wasn??t on the sixth?? He??d [Favreau] yell, ??what? It??s a cat fight! It??s breaking out.?
    Io9: The last thing they were saying is that she was in New York purposely snubbing Comic Con because you were going to get all of the attention.
    SJ: Believe me she??s worthy of plenty of attention and I know that that fans love her and they are going to love to see her in this movie, because her character kind of comes into her own. I know she would love to be here as well, but she??s with her family.

[From io9]
    Here??s what I think is really happening: there was some on-set tension because Gwyneth was no longer the only girl in the all-boys-club of Iron Man 2, but there wasn??t this huge catfight like the tabloids made it out to be. I also think that ScarJo is being pushed more heavily than Gwyneth because ScarJo is ??hotter? right now, and producers want to increase the buzz. ScarJo brings more buzz than Goopy, plain and simple. That being said, I don??t think Gwyneth is being meangirled, I just think Gwyneth is trying and failing to pull star-rank on producers, and they aren??t playing.

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Scarlett Johansson on Gwyneth Paltrow: ??She??s out of the loop?

She hasn't done anything noteworthy in awhile (neither has Scarlett, but she isn't Hollywood royalty), and she badmouths anything American and is trying to start her own elitist cult by peddling completely unattainable must-haves online to whatever masses she hopes will look up to her. Why should anyone treat her like a star? I'm not saying it isn't possible to multi-task, but she's being a little overly ambitious trying to pull the star-rank diva thing AND promote herself as some expat lifestyle guru. What will happen next? An album with her hubby and kids? Furniture design?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old Soul Guest
    I liked watching the Spain on the road again tour stuff she was doing with Bittman and Batali. It actually made me see Gwen in a different light. She is just your average cali chick in her attitude.. I have met lots of those.. haha she seems average except for the money.
    I hated her too before
    http://www.spainontheroadagain.com/cast.shtml

BodyRot Guest
    I visited one page, saw the words "I" and "me" appear about 30 times, and then I gave up.

John Connor Guest
    She hasn't done anything noteworthy in awhile (neither has Scarlett, but she isn't Hollywood royalty), and she badmouths anything American and is trying to start her own elitist cult by peddling completely unattainable must-haves online to whatever masses she hopes will look up to her. Why should anyone treat her like a star? I'm not saying it isn't possible to multi-task, but she's being a little overly ambitious trying to pull the star-rank diva thing AND promote herself as some expat lifestyle guru. What will happen next? An album with her hubby and kids? Furniture design?

She's designing t-shirts.

John Connor Guest

Blythe Danner Says Goopeth Could Cure AIDS

The more ridiculous I find Gwyneth Paltrow, the more I love her mother, Blythe Danner. Blythe is now, and has always been a class act. She has grace, style, warmth, and not one shred of pretense. So what happened to the daughter, one might ask? It seems Gwyneth might have been the victim of a mother who doted on her and talked her up a bit too much, if this new interview is any indication. Could it be that all of Goopy??s problems are a result of an overly-indulgent mother who was constantly telling Goop that she was undoubtedly God??s Gift?
    Blythe attended the Lucy Awards, and spoke to Fox News?? Pop Tarts on the red carpet. When asked about actors?? kids growing up to join show business, Blythe admitted that she didn??t want Gwyneth to become an actress because Blythe thought Goop was ??so smart?. According to Blythe, if Goop had chosen to stick with her education and had become a scientist, ??we wanted her to find a cure for AIDS or something.? Bless Blythe??s heart:
    Gwyneth Paltrow is an Academy Award winner and considered to be one of the finest actors of our generation, but her parents initially thought she was too intellectual to follow in their footsteps and enter showbiz.
    ??She??s so smart we wanted her to find a cure for AIDS or something,? mama Blythe Danner admitted at the recent Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards. ??We were pretty firm about her finishing her education but when we saw how talented she was we finally said okay.?
    And it sounds though Paltrow??s two little ones might be on the path to a career or creativity like their famous folks too.
    ??Apple and Moses love to fantasize,? Danner added. ??I??m always down on my hands and knees playing a character. They really love that.?

[From Fox News]
    Aw, that??s cute about her grandkids. I talk so much smack about Gwyneth, but I get the feeling that she totally adores her mother, and they probably have a great relationship. After Bruce Paltrow??s death, I think Gwyneth has made an effort to spend more time with her mom, and to give Blythe lots of time with the grandkids. So Goopy gets some bonus points for that, hands down. But she never would have found a cure for AIDS. For real.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    There have been rumors about tension between Scarlett Johansson and Gwyneth Paltrow for months. It all started when Iron Man 2 was being filmed, and reports started leaking that Gwyneth was upset with all the attention ScarJo got from cast and crew, especially when ScarJo donned her skintight catsuit.
    The drama escalated with last week??s Entertainment Weekly preview of Iron Man 2 - in which Gwyneth was mysteriously absent from the promotional images. Reportedly, Gwyenth was furious, although her rep formally denied it. The report at that time was that Gwyneth was in such a snit, she would pull out of some of her promotional duties until producers started giving her the star treatment. I thought there was something to that report - especially given that Gwyneth didn??t show up for Comic-Con with the rest of the cast.
    Meanwhile, Scarlett has been trying to do some damage control as she does advanced press for Iron Man 2. There were some vague reports that ScarJo sort of denied that there was tension between her and Paltrow, and now Io9 has a new interview where ScarJo tries her best to end the rumors. ScarJo??s defense? That Goopy is ??out of the loop? because she spends so much time with her ??wonderful family?.
    Io9: Are there any truth rumors about the cat fight between you and Gwyneth Paltrow?
    SJ: No, nothing could be further from the truth. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about working with her. Well, she??s very much out of the loop. She??s very much out of the loop, you know ?? she??s got a wonderful family whom she spends a lot of time with. So for her, she??s like, ??What??s going on? What?? And of course Jon [Favreau] who??s on his Twitter, he??s crazy about any kind of news about anything. He??s like ??You haven??t heard? You haven??t heard?? And he comes onto set and we??re both like, ??Oh god.? Every time I would say to Gwyneth, ??Oh yeah, that was on the seventh,? and she??d say, ??Are you sure it wasn??t on the sixth?? He??d [Favreau] yell, ??what? It??s a cat fight! It??s breaking out.?
    Io9: The last thing they were saying is that she was in New York purposely snubbing Comic Con because you were going to get all of the attention.
    SJ: Believe me she??s worthy of plenty of attention and I know that that fans love her and they are going to love to see her in this movie, because her character kind of comes into her own. I know she would love to be here as well, but she??s with her family.

[From io9]
    Here??s what I think is really happening: there was some on-set tension because Gwyneth was no longer the only girl in the all-boys-club of Iron Man 2, but there wasn??t this huge catfight like the tabloids made it out to be. I also think that ScarJo is being pushed more heavily than Gwyneth because ScarJo is ??hotter? right now, and producers want to increase the buzz. ScarJo brings more buzz than Goopy, plain and simple. That being said, I don??t think Gwyneth is being meangirled, I just think Gwyneth is trying and failing to pull star-rank on producers, and they aren??t playing.

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Scarlett Johansson on Gwyneth Paltrow: ??She??s out of the loop?

Move over Gwyneth...your time as a hipster has come and gone and you're getting up there enough in age that throwing snits about younger stars getting more attention isn't feeling so good. Grow up.

She's designing t-shirts.
    AHHHhhhhhhhhh! Of course.

Yeah, I agree with you about the relationship she has with her mother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Connor Guest
    DListed:

Today is Thursday, which means it's time for your weekly brain colonic, because the new issue of GOOP is out. Although, let's leave this week's newsletter alone (it's about books, blahg) and talk about an interview Fishsticks Paltrow gave to People Magazine at last night's Champions of Hope Benefit Gala in NYC. Cacaness.

Somebody needs to hand me a sharp needle, so that I can pop the gigantic fart bubble Fishy has been living in. This ho said that she's a gift box of OMGamazing information and that people get on their knees and thank every God for GOOP. Fishy queefed, ??People are so grateful that it??s free. It??s just nice to share what you have. And I have all this great information. It??s just a gift. People want me to do all this other stuff. But right now, I just really love doing the site. I love thinking about the letters, what I??m going to write about, what kind of information we can put in there.? You know where you need to put that information, Fishy? Fart to get a clue.

Seriously, what is she teaching the world?! How to roast a stupid ass dumb ugly chicken? Even Sandra Lee's drunk ass could probably teach us that. The keyword being "probably." And what's with this "grateful that it's free" mess? People who read every line of GOOP are paying dearly. They are paying with their soooooouuuuuuuuuuuuls. Seriously, ask for a receipt.
    Here's a few pictures of Princess POOP last night wearing a dress decorated with Glamberace's glittery jizz load.

John Connor Guest

Grimmace Paltry (or Poultry if you prefer) and Harlot HoCancer hate eachother? Fuck em both. How about a cagematch fight to the death. Two Cunts Enter, No Cunt Leave. We dont need another hooker. Fuck both those nasty bitches with the same superheated ConAir Cordless Thermacell triple barreled clamping curling iron with crimping attachment till the stench of burnt mackerel penetrates every last cumstained fabric in their households.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    LOL @ 'plebian leggings' & 'my hair is like spun gold.'

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Grimmace Paltry (or Poultry if you prefer) and Harlot HoCancer hate eachother? Fuck em both. How about a cagematch fight to the death. Two Cunts Enter, No Cunt Leave. We dont need another hooker. Fuck both those nasty bitches with the same superheated ConAir Cordless Thermacell triple barreled clamping curling iron with crimping attachment till the stench of burnt mackerel penetrates every last cumstained fabric in their households.
    This gives me a strong urge to steam clean my furniture.

pattykad Guest
    Apparently I've got allot of reading to do.

I didn't see anything about Ed Gein, Albert Fish or the Homolkas
    on her list. She's missing all the good stuff.

Gwyneth Paltrow has written on her blog that she in the early stages of osteopenia, which is a precursor to the brittle-bone disease osteoporosis

The 37-year-old actress says the condition was diagnosed after she had a bone scan following a leg fracture.

Her doctors told Gwyneth she was suffering with the lowest levels of vitamin D "they had ever seen" and was advised to take special vitamins and spend "a bit of time in the sun."

Osteoporosis is a bone disease which can lead to an increased risk of fractures and can be caused by excess excercise and a lack of calcium.

Some journalists are speculating about whether Gwyneth's condition is linked to her alternative lifestyle which includes a strict fitness regime and a macrobiotic diet focusing on vegetables, pulses and fish and limiting dairy produce.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100626/...n-ea4616c.html
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Gwyneth Paltrow's announcement that she has osteopenia, a possible precursor to the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis -- conditions usually found in older women -- has some wondering if her extreme diet and exercise regimen is to blame.

The women discuss dieting habits of Gwyneth Paltrow and Jessica Simpson.

In her online newsletter GOOP, Paltrow, who is 37, revealed that she was diagnosed with the early stages of osteopenia after suffering a leg fracture.

"I suffered a pretty severe tibial plateau fracture a few years ago (requiring surgery) which lead the orthopaedic surgeon to give me a bone scan, at which point it was discovered I had the beginning stages of osteopenia," she wrote in a recent post

Osteopenia is the term used for bone density that falls somewhere between less than normal and osteoporosis. People with osteopenia have a greater chance of developing osteporosis, a bone disease which leads to an increased risk of fractures. Both ailments are more common in post-menopausal and elderly women.

For pre-menopausal women diagnosed with osteopenia or lower bone mass, the causes can vary between genetics, eating disorders, crazy diets, excessive exercise or conditions that affect calcium intake, according to Dr. Stephen Honig, director of the Osteoporosis Center at New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases.

Calcium is crucial for good bone health. And vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium.

"It's always good to have good calcium and vitamin D intake and exercise judiciously," Honig told ABCNews.com.

Some have speculated that Paltrow's lifestyle could be to blame for her diagnosis.

In her newsletter, Paltrow said doctors tested her levels of vitamin D, "which turned out to be the lowest they had ever seen (not a good thing)."

"I went on a prescription strength level of vitamin D and was told to…spend a bit of time in the sun!" she said.

The master cleanse, which Beyonce claimed helped her lose 20 pounds for her "Dream Girls" role, is a trendy liquid diet, also known as the maple syrup diet. Dieters drink a concoction of syrup, lemon juice, water and cayenne pepper.

Keith Ayoob, a registered dietician and director of the nutrition clinic at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, is not a fan of fasts or cleanses. "The calorie deficiency might not be harmful but it's not likely to be all that beneficial either," he told ABCNews.com.

Nor is he thrilled with the macrobiotic diet, because he's opposed to "anything that gets rid of whole food groups," he said. "It's basically dairy-free and meat-free."

In recent years, Paltrow has also followed a strict exercise regimen devised by her trainer, Tracy Anderson, who also trained Madonna. Paltrow told Oprah Winfrey in 2008 that she exercises six days a week, using stretchy bands and light weights. In addition to a 40-minute cardio dance routine, she does leg crunches and arm exercises in a heated room.

Paltrow's condition could be a cautionary tale for young women.

"I tell mothers to tell their teen daughters," Honig said, "to drink milk, exercise, don't smoke, no crazy fad diets, keep their body weight where it should be and they are going to protect themselves against a lot of issues."

For women in their late 20s and 30s, he added, "check things out and don't get too crazy."
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pat Bateman Guest
    The more ridiculous I find Gwyneth Paltrow, the more I love her mother, Blythe Danner. Blythe is now, and has always been a class act. She has grace, style, warmth, and not one shred of pretense. So what happened to the daughter, one might ask? It seems Gwyneth might have been the victim of a mother who doted on her and talked her up a bit too much, if this new interview is any indication. Could it be that all of Goopy??s problems are a result of an overly-indulgent mother who was constantly telling Goop that she was undoubtedly God??s Gift?
    Blythe attended the Lucy Awards, and spoke to Fox News?? Pop Tarts on the red carpet. When asked about actors?? kids growing up to join show business, Blythe admitted that she didn??t want Gwyneth to become an actress because Blythe thought Goop was ??so smart?. According to Blythe, if Goop had chosen to stick with her education and had become a scientist, ??we wanted her to find a cure for AIDS or something.? Bless Blythe??s heart:
    Gwyneth Paltrow is an Academy Award winner and considered to be one of the finest actors of our generation, but her parents initially thought she was too intellectual to follow in their footsteps and enter showbiz.
    ??She??s so smart we wanted her to find a cure for AIDS or something,? mama Blythe Danner admitted at the recent Women in Film Crystal + Lucy Awards. ??We were pretty firm about her finishing her education but when we saw how talented she was we finally said okay.?
    And it sounds though Paltrow??s two little ones might be on the path to a career or creativity like their famous folks too.
    ??Apple and Moses love to fantasize,? Danner added. ??I??m always down on my hands and knees playing a character. They really love that.?

[From Fox News]
    Aw, that??s cute about her grandkids. I talk so much smack about Gwyneth, but I get the feeling that she totally adores her mother, and they probably have a great relationship. After Bruce Paltrow??s death, I think Gwyneth has made an effort to spend more time with her mom, and to give Blythe lots of time with the grandkids. So Goopy gets some bonus points for that, hands down. But she never would have found a cure for AIDS. For real.

Blythe Danner is old enough to be my mother but I think she's hot, talented, beautiful and sexy

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    Blythe Danner is old enough to be my mother but I think she's hot, talented, beautiful and sexy
    I think she's a condescending, entitled bitch like her daughter.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    HEY!!! What's wrong with the brit way of speaking?!?!

Absolutely nothing is wrong; I'm married to a Brit, although he doesn't haven't an accent after all these years.

GOOPie, however, isn't a Brit.

Twit, yeah, I'll go for that.

Pat Bateman Guest
    I think she's a condescending, entitled bitch like her daughter.
    Dude, I would still totally hit that Nobody's perfect.

jaylene Guest
    I like her mom. I think she's very funny. I just checked
    out poop or goop WTF-ever and Gwyneth seems to think
    alot of herself. I couldn't believe the number of times I seen "I" on that website. That statement her mom made about them
    not wanting her to be in acting cause she was too smart
    bothered me. Me going to that website for "tips" won't happen.

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Looks like an art school foundation project course to me and this is from someone who actually went to art school.

I get that she lives in a different reality, not (just) because she's rich and a socialite but because that's the way she was raised. The way your reality would be different if you were raised on a farm vs. raised in a city. But something about her really rubs me the wrong way. I cannot stand her. Even when everyone was fawning all over her, I couldn't see what that big deal was.

The British thing I can forgive her though. I lived in Britain for four years and even today, when I'm speaking with my friends from there, I start using their terms automatically. I grew up with English as my native language and even living in Britain, my English at one point sounded neither here nor there. I think I have it back under control now but, like I said, when I speak with my friends, it comes out again. There's an American actress, real blonde and chesty (I want to say Caprice but that's not the one, something close though), living in Britain that really made me think of that, she'd speak with an American accent during interviews and then a British word would slip in.

But when you start going all ooh-look-at-me-I'm-British-now just to show off, not so much.

A woman I worked with in East Anglia told me that she liked American accents on native speakers but her teenage daughters and their friends had started doing it, too and they were East Anglian born and bred. Used to drive her up the wall.

And starting to read a novel at the age of 10 . . . shouldn't you already be reading fluently by then? Or is that just something we book nerds got into? I was sneaking books out of my mom's library by that age, all on my own. Ditto my friends.

Looks to me like she wants to be the next Oprah. But mainly it seems like an art school project, when you just started out. And all of a sudden you find out that you're hours away from your deadline with nothing to show for and you throw something together in fifty seconds.

orionova Guest
    I lived in London for six years. I left almost a decade ago, but I still find myself using British words and spellings. I don't mean to, and I don't even know why I do it. It happens without me realising it.

LemonPopsicle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    I lived in London for six years. I left almost a decade ago, but I still find myself using British words and spellings. I don't mean to, and I don't even know why I do it. It happens without me realising it.
    I have the same problem. I find myself constantly having to edit e-mails and such because I've used the wrong spelling,etc

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonPopsicle View Post
    I have the same problem. I find myself constantly having to edit e-mails and such because I've used the wrong spelling,etc
    Hah! I remember asking an English friend of mine to proofread something for me and his final verdict was, "I cleared up all the grammar mistakes btw." But yeah, I get that too, with the emails.

Just out of curiosity, a question for our Canadian friends, how close to British is Canadian spelling? I seem to remember it's pretty close with some differences.

Gwyneth is gracing the cover of Vogue. Here is an editorial of the story from gawker.com

Gwyneth Paltrow Is the Most Perfect Person In the World

Gracing the cover of Vogue's annual Age Issue is American expatriate and actress Gwyneth Paltrow. She has a cookbook coming out, so they dispatched a food writer to cook with her at several of her mansions. It was sublime.

Ha, you know who they sent? Professionally nasty Iron Chef judge Jeffrey Steingarten, the man who ate everything. So this rumpled heavy-breathing fellow got to spend many hours with Gwyneth, a known Veela, and the perfection just wouldn't stop coming. She is just so perfect it is oozing out of everything perfection can ooze from, perfectly and beautifully. To wit:

the first thing I noticed was how beautiful and clean her kitchen is, all white and filled with enviable appliances, including a dedicated deep-fat fryer. Gwyneth admitted to being a neat freak, as her father was. She also seems to be in control of her time, scheduling every hour closely, with precise awareness of how long things take, including cooking.

Bitches be cookin' and cleanin', right fellas? Nothing that remarkable here. But wait, there's more.

The second thing I noticed was that Gwyneth is considerably more beautiful in the flesh than in pictures. She's an ectomorph (in the language of anthropometrics). You might call her "gangling"-stretched out, a bit taller and svelter and better muscled than you would think, especially in the crucial upper-arm area. She doesn't look gangling in pictures. She has fine genes, good bones.
    It's those Danner genes. Jeffrey was, naturally, smitten.

I was able to notice that Gwyneth's jeans fit so loosely that they tended to slip down several inches below her waist, revealing an enviably flat stomach. Gwyneth is 37.
    Dayyyummmm. The rest of the article devolves into an elaborate bacon-draped foodsex fantasy that isn't reprintable, even on Gawker.

Oh, I'm kidding. Here's the good stuff. Jeffrey travels to London to cook in Gwyneth's headquarters, which is actually three houses and three back yards put together. The simple life.

Gwyneth and Chris own two adjoining houses and three backyards. They bought the first house from Kate Winslet; it has the kitchen and the backyard where the wood-burning oven stands. ... It was a lovely afternoon that culminated in the return of Gwyneth's two children from wherever British children go on sunny Thursday mornings in the spring. The logs in the brick oven had been ignited before I arrived and were blazing as Gwyneth got the pizza dough ready. She is extremely adept at kneading, which she accomplished on a table in the garden; then she formed the pizza crust ... topped it, and slid it into the oven, where it joined a butterflied chicken that, on a lark, Gwyneth had already sandwiched between two heavy enameled iron pans-her version of pollo al mattone, the Italian (probably Etruscan) chicken under a brick. Two or three pizzas later, we sat at a long wooden table in the garden with Gwyneth's children and enjoyed slices of her pizza, glasses of wine, and the crispest roast chicken you can imagine.
    Oh come on now. That s**t is just straight out of a particularly melancholy issue of Gourmet magazine from July 1989. That is patently ridiculous. No one sits in their sunny London triplegarden and eats impossibly crisp roast chicken and drinks "glasses of wine" and has blonde hair and perfect, sun-dappled children. This just can't exist.

Gwyneth Paltrow is the product of a joint partnership between Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, and Ina Garten to make us all jealous and want to buy their wealthy white folks summery breezy lifestyle products. There is no Gwyneth Paltrow. Jeffrey Steingarten was actually just interviewing a ripple of light and some dandelion fuzz, he just wasn't wearing his glasses so he couldn't see Ina hiding behind a bush and speaking through a voice modification machine. You've been tricked, Jeffrey! We've all been tricked.

There's so much more Gwyneth Paltrow perfection in the article that I will leave you to discover on your own — discover like a surprising blackberry bush found in a corner of one of your London backyards, like a delightful recipe card for a light citrus summer salad tucked into an old book, like a single ominous drop of blood on pristine white clothing. It's truly an adventure that you need to experience yourself. And then you'll get to the most exciting part:

There was a brief pause. Gwyneth said, "I'll have to give that a little thought." Her voice had changed. It was as though a cloud had passed over the sun.
    But don't take my word for it! Read it yourself to find out why this glimmering glass-and-hay unicorn creature suddenly turned cold

http://gawker.com/5583552/gwyneth-pa...yline=true&s=i

Edna St. Vincent Millay