Thread: Brad Nowell from Sublime

leppchic Guest

Brad Nowell from Sublime

We can't forget Brad. He was such an awesome musician. I miss him so much. I love Sublime. Another victim of drug use, OD on heroin in a hotel room. You are missed Brad!!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=6783

firegilnotguns Guest
    I met all of the living members of Sublime about 10 years ago...one of them stole my pen...

HippieMama Guest
    Another fantastic musical genius . . . from a musician's point, he explored so very many genres of music in his short career and had such a unique voice.
    I was really irritated the other day when I saw a commercial using the song "Santeria" for many reasons, one being they cut out part of it because it's not suitable for television which of course is reasonable, but they turned that great song into such a kitschy little tune, I can just imagine Brad feeling nauseous on the other side. Did anyone else see it?

leppchic Guest
    No I haven't seen it but it sure sounds tacky. Let him rest in peace geez.
    BTW that is a cool story fire, I wish a rock star had stole my pen...... (jealous)

Quote Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
    I was really irritated the other day when I saw a commercial using the song "Santeria" for many reasons

I got the same feeling when I heard Blitzkrieg Bop used in a Pepsi spot.

HippieMama Guest
    It's terrible, I swear to God I almost retched right there and then.

It's terrible, I swear to God I almost retched right there and then.
    Know what you mean. Same thing happened to me when Nike was using Revolution in their spots. Never would have happened had John been alive.

HippieMama Guest
    Yeah, and now his older son Julian sold his rights off to John's music . . . at least Sean is out there honoring his dad by building a great career. Saw Sean in concert earlier this year, I am a HUGE fan of his too. His voice is eerily similar to his dad's. If you ever meet him though, don't bring up his dad or the Beatles. He wants to make it on his own . . . I say good for him!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Oh yeah, Sean is really good live...I saw him at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in DC in 1998...glad I did, too, or I might not have given his music a chance. (Not after Julian's "Much Too Late for Goodbyes!")

Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    I met all of the living members of Sublime about 10 years ago...one of them stole my pen...
    Loretta Lynn kept my sharpie after she signed her Coal Miner's Daughter book for me after a show! But I didn't care.

HippieMama Guest
    Julian sang "Ruby Tuesday" and to hear it makes me want to scream . . . I wish he would just hide in a room with his exploiting mother and never come out again.

leppchic Guest
    Man I think that is awesome he is following in his dads footsteps. I didn't know that. That is just awesome not much else to say. I am going to look for songs of Seans to download. He is carrying the legacy, I bet Brad couldn't be prouder. He and Louie Dog are looking down with pride I am sure.

HippieMama Guest
    His recent album is called "Friendly Fire" and every song on it is great . . . he wrote it all either during and/or after a breakup and it all about the emotions you go through when a relationship ends.

"So let's hide all the diamonds and cocaine for a rainy day."
    -S. Lennon

Thank God he dumped that skank Bijou Phillips.

ST Moron Guest
    I was really irritated the other day when I saw a commercial using the song "Santeria" for many reasons, one being they cut out part of it because it's not suitable for television which of course is reasonable, but they turned that great song into such a kitschy little tune, I can just imagine Brad feeling nauseous on the other side.
    The thing to bear in mind here is that artists don't necessarily exercise full control over their music. More often than not, it's their label that calls the shots. And back catalogs can be traded back and forth between companies as well as sold outright to the highest bidder.

I know everyone was pissed when they heard "Revolution" in a Nike commercial in 1986. But that decision had nothing to do with the Beatles and everything to do with who owned the rights to their back catalog at the time.

I've read that Bob Marley's "Get Up, Stand Up" was used to sell "a certain brand" (no, I'm not naming them) of boot. I don't think Bob would have been pleased about his music being used to pimp boots.

atlantis Guest
    My husband turned me on to Sublime. Bradley had a fantastic voice. I have so many of their songs running through my mind but don't know the names of the songs. KRS 1, Scarlett Begonia, "Right now she's selling oranges by the freeway...". That music is spectacular.

And my husband almost shat his pants when he saw that "Santeria" commercial. He said WTF??????? By the way, what is that song about? I forgot to ask him.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Yeah, and now his older son Julian sold his rights off to John's music . . . at least Sean is out there honoring his dad by building a great career. Saw Sean in concert earlier this year, I am a HUGE fan of his too. His voice is eerily similar to his dad's. If you ever meet him though, don't bring up his dad or the Beatles. He wants to make it on his own . . . I say good for him!
    Interesting. I was under the impression that Yoko owns the full John Lennon catalog and Michael Jackson (regretfully) still owns the Beatles catalog.

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    You guys get off topic so easily LOL....

I was never a Sublime fan But I have always felt compelled to go visit Bradley's grave that is a few blocks from my house. I have still not gone to this day. Druggie or not, it's still such a shame when a talented musican burns out before his time.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delivian View Post

I was never a Sublime fan But I have always felt compelled to go visit Bradley's grave that is a few blocks from my house. I have still not gone to this day. Druggie or not, it's still such a shame when a talented musican burns out before his time.
    Well I wasn't looking to go off topic but HippieMama's post seemed a bit "curious" to me.
    I'm not all too sure what she said was correct although I don't confess to know the music control set up either.
    I just wanted to ask about it being she mentioned it and perhaps someone around here could set the record straight.
    As for Brad Nowell, I agree with you. I was never a fan and can't figure what the big deal was with Sublime. He died young and was a family man (if I understand correctly) and that's always a sad situation.
    Drugs sure aren't cool or glamorous. They've destroyed too many lives.

I got to see sublime at the very first warp tour. They were terrible to tell you the truth. Nowell was sluring. The band was kinda sloppy. I think my first impression of them kinda made me bias against them now.I really dont understand why the adoration. Afterall they only had one album. No Doubt played that show too. They were better but not by much.The best band that day was Quicksand. Deftones were on the side stage. They were good as well.

Jack Raines Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I got to see sublime at the very first warp tour. They were terrible to tell you the truth. Nowell was sluring. The band was kinda sloppy. I think my first impression of them kinda made me bias against them now.I really dont understand why the adoration. Afterall they only had one album. No Doubt played that show too. They were better but not by much.The best band that day was Quicksand. Deftones were on the side stage. They were good as well.
    I've only listened to a few Sublime live shows, but Bradley sounded wasted in all of them.

But their CD's 40 Oz. To Freedom and the self-titled one are among my favorite albums of all time.
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 04-10-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Maruz83 Guest
    I love sublime !!!!!!! I listen to there cd every day !!!!!!!!!

"I don't get mad when my dog runs away...."... LOVE THEM !!!

GhostWorld Guest
    Actually there were three albums that I know of that were released prior to his death (although the self-titled one was released after by a few months). I would have liked to see them live, I thought they sounded good on Stand by Your Van (live show recording).

Jack Raines Guest
    I read an article recently in Spin magazine about a Sublime cover band called Badfish who aren't even really fans of Sublime, but they're cashing in on Bradley's music because so many people never got the chance to see them perform live since Nowell died before they hit it big, and are desperate to hear Sublime's music in concert.

The singer from Badfish even had the nerve to say his cover band (that I've never heard of before) is now bigger than Sublime. He seemed like total jerk-off.

Spin also said Sublime is this generation's Doors and their self-titled CD sold more copies than Nirvana's Nevermind last year.

GhostWorld Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    I read an article recently in Spin magazine about a Sublime cover band called Badfish who aren't even really fans of Sublime, but they're cashing in on Bradley's music because so many people never got the chance to see them perform live since Nowell died before they hit it big, and are desperate to hear Sublime's music in concert.

The singer from Badfish even had the nerve to say his cover band (that I've never heard of before) is now bigger than Sublime. He seemed like total jerk-off.

Spin also said Sublime is this generation's Doors and their self-titled CD sold more copies than Nirvana's Nevermind last year.
    That guy should probably be kicked in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    "Right now she's selling oranges by the freeway..."
    That song is 'Waiting for My Ruca' (ruca being girlfriend, love,) and it is on 40oz of Freedom, which is a great album.

Whatever happened to Lou Dog? After Nowell died I always wondered what happened to him.

I recently saw Lou Dog air fresheners for sale, so it can smell like Lou Dog inside your own van.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Jack Raines Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    That song is 'Waiting for My Ruca' (ruca being girlfriend, love,) and it is on 40oz of Freedom, which is a great album.

Whatever happened to Lou Dog? After Nowell died I always wondered what happened to him.

I recently saw Lou Dog air fresheners for sale, so it can smell like Lou Dog inside your own van.

Here's the story on Lou Dog (according to Wikipedia)...

Named after Nowell's grandfather Louie Nowell[citation needed], Louie, or "Lou Dog" as he was often called, was Bradley Nowell's pet Dalmatian who became something of a mascot for the band Sublime. Lou Dog was often allowed to wander the stage during live Sublime concert performances. Louie was also often featured on the cover of Sublime albums, and was often referred to in the lyrics of Sublime songs. The first lyrics Nowell sings on Sublime's major label debut album are, "We took this trip to Garden Grove/It smelled like Lou Dog inside the van". And in Sublime's most successful radio track, What I Got, Nowell sings, "Livin' with Louie Dog's the only way to stay sane." He also mentions his Dalmatian in What I Got other times, like in the lyric "I Got a Dalmatian, and I can still get high" as well as "I don't cry when my dog runs away." The song Doin' Time also refers to Lou Dog in the line "Me and Louie run to the party."
    In the early 1990s, Lou Dog disappeared for a week. In the video Sublime — Stories, Tales, Lies, & Exaggerations, Tory Nowell (Bradley Nowell's widow) says that for the week during which Lou Dog was lost, Nowell spent a great deal of time lying on the couch crying in response to the loss of his dog. Lou Dog was eventually returned to Nowell, who, in response to the situation, later covered the Camper Van Beethoven song "The Day That Lassie Went To The Moon" and changed it to "Lou Dog Went to the Moon" ; this song is available on the Nowell bootleg "Firecracker Lounge" [2] [3]. While Lou was missing Nowell also recorded this song to his home answering machine as a sort of audio lost dog poster.

In many retail and grocery stores throughout America there exists a brand of hard (alcoholic) lemonade called "Sublime Hard Lemonade". On every bottle, regardless of flavor there is a paw print and a quote saying "Louie Approved".

Following Nowell's 1996 death, Lou Dog was cared for by Skunk Records co-founder Michael "Miguel" Happoldt. Lou Dog died on September 17, 2001.

badfish Guest

Sublime

You saw them at a time when Brad was being fucked up on stage. Seeing one performance in that state isnt a good way to judge the band. They are one of the few bands from our generation to actually make timeless music. People will be listening to Sublime for many more years.

And they had 3 albums out before his death and the one you probably heard which was released on MCA wasnt their best. Go buy "40oz to Freedom" One of the best albums ever recorded.

Not too many bands make their own genre of music out of their popularity.

badfish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostWorld View Post
    That guy should probably be kicked in the head.
    There are a couple of Sublime cover bands that think they invented the music. Badfish is on the east coast and from what I have seen do a pretty good job. Saying they are bigger than sublime though....yeah if he said that he is an idiot and shouldnt be playing the music.

There was another band called "Sublime Remembered" from Florida. Now these guys were the biggest scammers in the business. They were actually sued by Sublime!

Sublime recorded an album called "Robbin the Hood" and one of the guest artist on the track was called Que Ball. Well when "Sublime Remembered" started playing they had a fat bald bass player that someone kind of resembled Eric Wilson, the bass player from sublime. They would promote their shows as "featuring Cue Ball" and have a picture of this Eric Wilson look a like and somehow try to trick the crowd into thinking they were seeing something athentic. My band played with them here in San Diego (Mainly so we could tell them off and make fun of them which we did) and their manager at the time tried to tell me that there were original members of the band sublime playing. When I asked which one he told me it was the 60 year old black guy they had playing drums.

I have had the fortune of meeting the members of sublime and working with bands that not only played with Sublime, but where personal friends and have gotten to hear some really great stories from people who where there.

Our bands were eating lunch together once and the manager of the band I was with was the original drummer of sublimes brother who was there the day Brad passed and out of no where just went into the story of that day. As a sublime fan I just sat back and was blown away by the story.

I have heard rumor that Brad and Gwen form No Doubt were pretty close - anyone have some scoop on that? I know she sang in one of his songs and she has dedicated songs to him at concerts. Just curious..... =) Just being me. =)
    My Posse's On Broadway

30. 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote Originally Posted by D3LIVIÃ?N View Post

You should head over, it's pretty easy to find, the curb is tagged up as well as the tree by his grave. People leave all sorts of interesting stuff on his headstone too I have pics somewhere on this computer...ugh, someday I'll find em and post em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Long Gone Day Guest
    Thanks for sharing that story, badfish.....I thought they were great, but my son and nephew were even bigger fans. Sublime was always on in the car during my son's school days and we sang at the top of our lungs.

KarmaKat Guest
    Out of all the musicians I listen too I think Brad is the one I miss the most

zamboni Guest
    "So she told me to come over and I took that trip, then she pulled out my mushroom tip- when it came out it went drip,drip,drip I didn't know she had the GI Joe Kung Fu grip"

Can lyrics get any better than that??? Love Sublime.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    Hunt them down and kill them!!!

Love, love Sublime! That is one thing that constantly stays on my Ipod Touch! Miss Brad too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

KarmaKat Guest
    Ah Sublime they really were an awesome band. Hugely underated

Jack Raines Guest
    Sublime reunited with a new singer named Rome. He does a good Bradley vocal impersonation (though he gets some of the lyrics wrong), but he looks kinda like Perez Hilton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0SeOfPsetY

Hubz and I stopped by Mr. Nowell's grave again a couple months ago. I took pics of the trees and curb surrounding his plot as they are tagged up in his honor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bradleynowell1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	29237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bradleynowell2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	29238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bradleynowell3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	29239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bradleynowell4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	29240  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Nice, a empty bottle of pills. I wonder if they were oxy's

I am trying not to be such a prude, but the area surrounding his grave looks terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    I am trying not to be such a prude, but the area surrounding his grave looks terrible.

I dont think you are being prude ~ I think the bottle of pills is a freakin slap in the face. The dipshit who put that there is probably on his way to the same fate. Drugs killed this man, let's all commemorate him with a pill bottle, what a loser.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Can't believe it's been 15 years today

RIP Brad....I know you and Lou Dog are raising hell where ever you are!

silverwaif77 Guest
    Technically that is not his grave. It's just a stone put there by the family for them and the fans to and talk to brad. He was cremated and his ashes scattered at his favorite surf spot in So CA. When Lou dog died, he was also cremated and his ashes were scattered at the same spot.

Cat lady in training Guest
    What are the details of his death exactly? Why was he at a hotel? Did he have a bad batch maybe? Anyone know?
    Last edited by Cat lady in training; 10-06-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat lady in training View Post
    What are the details of his death exactly? Why was he at a hotel? Did he have a bad batch maybe? Anyone know?
    I believe he was doing the trekking thing. As far as his overdosing I think he had been trying to quit. I think maybe he pulled River Phoenix and did his normal dose, but his body couldn't handle it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

AllyTheHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat lady in training View Post
    I found this at Wikipedia: Just days after Nowell's marriage to Troy Dendekker on May 18, Sublime embarked on a drug-fueled five-day tour through Northern California. On the morning of May 25, in San Francisco, drummer Bud Gaugh woke up to find Nowell lying half-way across a bed, with his knees and feet on the floor. At first, Gaugh assumed he had been too intoxicated to get into bed; however, further inspection allowed him to notice a green film around his mouth, and it became apparent that he had overdosed on heroin. Gaugh called for paramedics, but Nowell had died several hours earlier, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The five-day tour was apparently a warm up for their upcoming European tour to promote their new album. They were booked to play a sold-out show that night. The show was cancelled and refunds issued.

Everything I found says that the official cause of death was "accidental heroin overdose."

KristinEileen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyTheHag View Post
    I found this at Wikipedia: Just days after Nowell's marriage to Troy Dendekker on May 18, Sublime embarked on a drug-fueled five-day tour through Northern California. On the morning of May 25, in San Francisco, drummer Bud Gaugh woke up to find Nowell lying half-way across a bed, with his knees and feet on the floor. At first, Gaugh assumed he had been too intoxicated to get into bed; however, further inspection allowed him to notice a green film around his mouth, and it became apparent that he had overdosed on heroin. Gaugh called for paramedics, but Nowell had died several hours earlier, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The five-day tour was apparently a warm up for their upcoming European tour to promote their new album. They were booked to play a sold-out show that night. The show was cancelled and refunds issued.

Everything I found says that the official cause of death was "accidental heroin overdose."
    So sad..I didn't discover Sublime until I was in high school and by then Brad had been dead for a while...Santeria is probably my favorite song from them...and of course Wrong Way...

KarmaKat Guest
    I always tend to think about them more in the summer. So since we are just hitting spring over here it must be time to slap Sublime in the cd player and head to the beach.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Ah, Sublime. Brings back awesome memories of long road trips with great friends.

grey Guest
    Julian sang "Ruby Tuesday" and to hear it makes me want to scream . . . I wish he would just hide in a room with his exploiting mother and never come out again.

Off topic and waaaaayyy late but I just have to say that I never really felt that Cynthia Powell-Lennon was all that exploiting. She sold off some memorabilia when she hit hard times but that seemed to be it, unless I'm ill-informed. I think you could be talking about Yoko Ono but she's not Julian's mother. And I have to step in and defend Julian here and say that John was pretty much a total ass to Julian his entire childhood but then turned around and gave Sean the world. To read some of the stories, it's really sad. But, to his credit, Julian never held it against Sean and from what I understand the two of them have a pretty solid relationship!