Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ronald Reagan

Last edited by cash; 03-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Pat MaGroin Guest

John Hinkley Postcard He Sent To Jodie Foster

Target: The postcard of then President Ronald Reagan and First Lady Nancy Reagan that Hinckley sent to actress Jodie Foster

Madman's scrawl: 'One day you and I will occupy the White House and the peasants will drool with envy,' Hinckley wrote to Foster on the Reagan postcard

"Dear Jodie,
    Don't they make a darling couple?
    Nancy is downright sexy.
    One day you and I will
    occupy the White House and
    the peasants will drool with
    envy.
    Until then, please do your
    best to remain a virgin.
    You are a virgin, aren't you?
    Love,
    John"

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post

Target: The postcard of then President Ronald Reagan and First Lady Nancy Reagan that Hinckley sent to actress Jodie Foster

Madman's scrawl: 'One day you and I will occupy the White House and the peasants will drool with envy,' Hinckley wrote to Foster on the Reagan postcard

"Dear Jodie,
    Don't they make a darling couple?
    Nancy is downright sexy.
    One day you and I will
    occupy the White House and
    the peasants will drool with
    envy.
    Until then, please do your
    best to remain a virgin.
    You are a virgin, aren't you?
    Love,
    John"
    He's a lunatic! I can't believe he is getting out.

ETA: Bet Jodie isn't loving this news.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 03-28-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    It's amazing that Reagan gets all the credit for bringing down the soviet empire.
    Communism and the arms race is what brought down the Soviet Union and most honest conservatives will agree with this. Reagan did accellerate it though through his tough stance in the cold war and the threat of SDI.

Reagan applied pressure by increasing defense spending which caused the Soviet Union to do the same. At the same time, he aided the mujjadeen in Afghanistan which helped make that a very stuborn and expensive conflict for the soviets. Reagan also helped negotiate lower oil prices in the middle east which lowered the oil and natural gas exports out of the soviet union.

Utimately, the soviet union collapsed itself but US foreign policy at the time was very much geared towards it being sooner than later.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Communism and the arms race is what brought down the Soviet Union and most honest conservatives will agree with this. Reagan did accellerate it though through his tough stance in the cold war and the threat of SDI.

Reagan applied pressure by increasing defense spending which caused the Soviet Union to do the same. At the same time, he aided the mujjadeen in Afghanistan which helped make that a very stuborn and expensive conflict for the soviets. Reagan also helped negotiate lower oil prices in the middle east which lowered the oil and natural gas exports out of the soviet union.

Utimately, the soviet union collapsed itself but US foreign policy at the time was very much geared towards it being sooner than later.
    I can attest to the truth of this. Starwars just flat out spent them. I working for major defense contractors in the Boston area and I was working on as many as four cost plus contracts related to Star Wars and Bright Pebbles at the same time. Cost plus means you not only get paid a contractual price for what you are building you get paid an undetermined design and test validation fee. Most of this was black box secure stuff with little or no congressional oversight.
    We would just stare at each other and shake our heads. Much of the stuff would take years to develop, was totally impractical as either a weapons or weapons defense and some of it was just plain looney.
    The Russians just kept trying to spend and keep up and I developed a great collection of project coffee mugs.pins and stickers.
    regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	navy intelligence.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	30314  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I saw on the news that today was the 30th anniversary of his attempted assassination. Did Hinckley actually get out? I know Arthur Bremer was released a few years ago.

STsFirstmate Guest
    I remember being home from work sick the day he was shot and saw all the reports on the news. Man it was close. I remember they really played it down but he could easily have died.
    I wasn't a fan of Reagan as President I remember praying for him that day. That punk should never get out of the rubber room they have him in. If his parents weren't wealthy he would be rotting in a jail cell.
    rregards,
    mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I remember being home from work sick the day he was shot and saw all the reports on the news.
    I was in the 6th grade and I remember that a school official came in, whispered to my teacher and then they turned on a TV and we watched the news as a class.

In a similar vien. I was in the 7th grade when our homeroom teacher came in our core class to tell us JFK was shot. He was a big guy and you see he was crying. My core teacher was a real ass and said,after my homeroom teacher left, "good it's about time someone shot him". You have to remember that this was the first of the assassinations and attempts that would plauge the 60's-70's. It seemed everyone was in disbelief.

STsFirstmate Guest
    I was in the 6th grade and I remember that a school official came in, whispered to my teacher and then they turned on a TV and we watched the news as a class.
    As opposed to when Kennedy was shot. The nun's came in and we hit the deck and stayed on our knees praying the rosary until Sister Conceptua came back in and just quietly announced."He has passed and now we are praying for his soul, his family and our nation." I will never forget those words from a short pudgy nun. It was the end of innocence for me. I was never a kid again after the whole experience of his death, the funeral, watching my parents cope with it. It was the first time I ever saw my Dad cry.
    regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    In a similar vien. I was in the 7th grade when our homeroom teacher came in our core class to tell us JFK was shot. He was a big guy and you see he was crying. My core teacher was a real ass and said,after my homeroom teacher left, "good it's about time someone shot him". You have to remember that this was the first of the assassinations and attempts that would plauge the 60's-70's. It seemed everyone was in disbelief.

Isn't it interesting that we have never seen another stretch of them like that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I was in 4th grade when this happened. My dad came and took me home from school. He had the camper fully gassed up and stocked with food and weapons. He was going to take the family into the wilderness in case of civil unrest or invasion by the Soviet Union.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Years ago remember seeing him on the game show
    what's my line in the late 1950s.

Noone could guess who he was just a grade B movie
    actor.

Who most old film fans think of him as Jimmy Stewart's
    best friend.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Who most old film fans think of him as Jimmy Stewart's
    best friend.

Wasn't Jimmy's best friend Henry Fonda?

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I was in 4th grade when this happened. My dad came and took me home from school. He had the camper fully gassed up and stocked with food and weapons. He was going to take the family into the wilderness in case of civil unrest or invasion by the Soviet Union.
    Wow - Your dad's my kind of guy...

jaylene Guest
    I had no idea you could "recover" from being a loon. They better
    get Obama off permanent vacation and lock him in the white house or he will be next. Being gone so long he might have a thing for Britney.

crazedfemale Guest
    Always loved Reagan, not so much for his presidency but because I met him when I was 11 years old. He was so nice to me and my parents.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I remember being home from work sick the day he was shot and saw all the reports on the news. Man it was close. I remember they really played it down but he could easily have died.
    I wasn't a fan of Reagan as President I remember praying for him that day. That punk should never get out of the rubber room they have him in. If his parents weren't wealthy he would be rotting in a jail cell.
    rregards,
    mary
    I was in school when he was shot and I remember being surprised that classes were still going on, like business as usual when nobody knew if he would make it or not.
    I think that the shooting could quite possibly have played a role in his health issues down the road - he was 70 when he got shot and I'm sure his body went through some major stresses.
    It really pisses me off that Hinckley is walking around, doing what he wants, having girlfriends and playing his guitar all day. You have to remember other lives were devastated that day too - James Brady got the worst. A Secret Service Agent (Tim McCarthy) and a Police Officer (Tom Delahanty) were also wounded.
    Hinckley was delusional imo - not crazy.

Pat MaGroin Guest

TIME Article - "Freedom Is Too Good for Hinckley"

This article really made me mad - Hinckley's life today...

Freedom Is Too Good for Hinckley

...Jim Brady is now almost completely blind. He has spinal stenosis. Both are secondary conditions resulting from the bullet that tore into his brain 30 years ago. For the past year, he's been screaming in his sleep. Every night...

...Hinckley's days at St. Elizabeths Hospital in southeast Washington are spent strolling around the grounds, feeding stray cats or going on supervised visits to the beach and bowling alleys. He plays his guitar and sits in the sun reading. He's had a job at the hospital library. He's had numerous girlfriends. The longest relationship was with Leslie deVeau, who was placed in St. Elizabeths in 1982 after she killed her 10-year-old daughter with a 12-gauge semiautomatic shotgun while the girl slept. She then tried to kill herself but only managed to shoot off her left arm. At one point, in 2008, Hinckley was reportedly involved with several women at once...

...Since 2000, Hinckley has been allowed unsupervised visits off hospital grounds. It began with overnight stays at his parents' house in Williamsburg, Va. Despite the government's objections and its argument that Hinckley still has a "narcissistic need" to impress women â?? a need that could again lead to violence â?? U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman has consistently sided with Hinckley's attorney, Barry Levine, and granted more and more freedom to the man who once called his assassination attempt "the greatest love offering in the history of the world."...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz1HXlWKrT0

Interesting bit of trivia - The Hinckleys and the Bushs were close family friends.
    Also there was another man who stalked Jodie Foster and wanted to kill Reagan that physically resembled Hinckley - Edward Richardson.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

There is a series on BBC Word Service called Witness. They get hold of people who have had first hand experience in major global events. The past week they have been running an episode with the secret service agent who was the one that bundled Reagan into the car. Interesting stuff.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Happy 90th to Nancy Reagan

Happy 90th to Nancy Reagan

yechhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Giada Guest
    Celebrate one more woman who wore designer clothes, and chose astrology as a solution to her husbands issues.

Not likely ...

hallucinex Guest
    But best BJ's in town!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Celebrate one more woman who wore designer clothes, and chose astrology as a solution to her husbands issues.

Not likely ...

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post

Not likely ...
    sounds like Jackie Kennedy

I was just thinking that. They both enjoyed decorating and wearing designer fashions and such.
    At least Ronald survived his assassination attempt and Nancy got him through it.
    Jackie got more sympathy for being a young widow.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

JudyAnn Guest
    Was President Reagan ever photographed during his final years? I'd love to see his last photo. Nancy sure kept him sequestered and presumably comfortable at home for so many years.

Or Yoko

Mulvaness Guest
    Hinkley to seek freedom at new trial.
    On Wednesday, a federal judge will begin a week and half of hearings on whether Hinckley eventually should be released from the mental hospital where he has been a patient since his 1982 trial ended in a jury verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/30/justic...html?hpt=ju_c2

Never happen. He is in there for good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are you a TRUE death Hag? If you are then you too can own a very fascinating piece of President Ronald Wilson Reagon. Up for auction is 1 5" long vial Of President Reagans blood taken on the day he was shot.

http://www.mandatory.com/2012/05/21/...#page=1%3Ficid
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Bidmor Guest
    What Really Happened During The Iran Hostage Crisis, or How Reagan Actually Won Election...

...in October 1980 officials in Ronald Reagan’s presidential campaign made a secret deal with Iran to delay the release of the American hostages until after the election and in return for this, the United States purportedly arranged for Israel to ship weapons to Iran.
    One embedded video on below page notes that George H.W. Bush was very much involved in the deal making.

http://www.cpflorida.com/2013/08/19/...ostage-crisis/
    Last edited by Bidmor; 08-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    To be fair, no where does it say they supported it specifically. When Iran was getting the upper hand we shared military intelligence with Iraq. We did know that chemical weapons would most likely be used but no one called up Iraq and said "we support that".

To be fair, no where does it say they supported it specifically. When Iran was getting the upper hand we shared military intelligence with Iraq. We did know that chemical weapons would most likely be used but no one called up Iraq and said "we support that".
    I am with you on that. They never openly supported the use of chemical weapons IMHO. No doubt they knew of it though.

The USA did supply Saddam with a ton of conventional weapons though.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 08-28-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I am with you on that. They never openly supported the use of chemical weapons IMHO. No doubt they knew of it though.

The USA did supply Saddam with a ton of conventional weapons though.
    No, they didn't.

I will take any President over that fucktard we have in their now. JS.

died 10 years today - time flies.

RIP Mr. President
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Reagan was dubbed The Great Communicator. No doubt his acting experience helped and I suspect Reagan knew humor, especially self-deprecating, "gets over" very effectively. It also demonstrates confidence in yourself.

Bad actor, worse president

Well, I like him better than anyone who has been president during my adult years, so far.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Well, I like him better than anyone who has been president during my adult years, so far.
    Me too. I didn't support him when he ran in 1980 but I changed my mind after he took office. I only wish we had another President like him.

46. 06-05-2014, 09:53 PM

W and O have been disasters. Reagan/Bush Sr/Clinton are looking better every day.

I'm guessing he just saw Bed time for Bonzo
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Reagan was an instant hit with the public because he acted the role of public defender so well. He was an enormous relief from Jimmy Carter who, while a moral man, was an inept President. Reagan defeated Communism by strangling their economic system, but at the same time, Pope John Paul II was strong anti-Communist, and should not be left out of the equation.
    I don't think Reagan was really a great administrator , but he was a great speaker, had the advantage of age, and was a Constitutionalist. His cabinet was nothing to be proud of, especially James Watt (asshole). He also used the wealth of the United States to make citizens proud of who they are. He made a lot of big mistakes, but he redeemed himself remarkably.
    No, he never wanted to use chemical weapons on Iran. He was smart enough to keep us out of a ground war in that mess. Compared to the Bush's, he was a genius. He was a terrible environmentalist.
    Reagan was not an intellectual, which Carter, Clinton, and Obama are. Clinton made it work, but ruined his legacy. Obama will likely go down as one of the better Presidents, once he is out of office. Certainly, he will be in the top half, meaning Presidents who cleaned up messes handed to them by previous administrations. People love to put the national debt on Obama, but it really began with Reagan, was settled by Clinton and exploded by George W. (Moron in Chief) Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    Reagan was an instant hit with the public because he acted the role of public defender so well. He was an enormous relief from Jimmy Carter who, while a moral man, was an inept President. Reagan defeated Communism by strangling their economic system, but at the same time, Pope John Paul II was strong anti-Communist, and should not be left out of the equation.
    I don't think Reagan was really a great administrator , but he was a great speaker, had the advantage of age, and was a Constitutionalist. His cabinet was nothing to be proud of, especially James Watt (asshole). He also used the wealth of the United States to make citizens proud of who they are. He made a lot of big mistakes, but he redeemed himself remarkably.
    No, he never wanted to use chemical weapons on Iran. He was smart enough to keep us out of a ground war in that mess. Compared to the Bush's, he was a genius. He was a terrible environmentalist.
    Reagan was not an intellectual, which Carter, Clinton, and Obama are. Clinton made it work, but ruined his legacy. Obama will likely go down as one of the better Presidents, once he is out of office. Certainly, he will be in the top half, meaning Presidents who cleaned up messes handed to them by previous administrations. People love to put the national debt on Obama, but it really began with Reagan, was settled by Clinton and exploded by George W. (Moron in Chief) Bush.
    The US national debt was $10 trillion in 2008. It is now $17 trillion. Almost double. Obama has really cleaned up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    People love to put the national debt on Obama, but it really began with Reagan, was settled by Clinton and exploded by George W. (Moron in Chief) Bush.
    It's a myth that Bill Clinton single-handledly balanced the budget (and engineered the Nineties boom, for that matter), or that he cleaned up someone else's mess. Note that George H.W. Bush had been forced to backtrack on his "no new taxes' promise of 1988 in return for Democrat concessions on deficit reduction. While Bush took the political fallout for those unpopular steps towards deficit reduction, Clinton would enjoy the revenues they brought in. Once in office, however, Clinton, through his overreach in 1993 and 1994, alienated enough voters to hand control of both houses of Congress to the GOP for the first time in 42 years. The new GOP majority, which held for the rest of the decade, opposed his big spending plans. As he in turn was opposed to their tax cuts, a gridlock resulted, creating a stability highly conducive to business. Thus, after 1994, a wave of investment, especially in technology, began, leading to a second wave of expansion that boosted tax revenues (helped by a temporary wave of capital gains tax receipts from an overheated stock market) and led to a cyclical near-surplus in 2000.

In 2000, the Nineties boom began unraveling, but the 22nd Amendment shielded him from responsibility for the messes handed off to his successor. Those messes included the housing bubble (which would implode with devastating results in 2006), deregulated finance, ferocious new competition from China (aided by Clinton's shepherding that country into the WTO and granting it permanent Most Favored Nation status), the technology bust, and the Enron scandal.