Thread: Soylent Green is People!

susalu Guest

Soylent Green is People!

This was the only movie I ever liked with Charlton Heston in it... In a way I can't believe he actually did that movie...

So whaddaya think... do you think we will ever get to the point where state sponsored suicide will be mandatory at a certain age??? Freaky to think about...

I love that in the movie they played Beethoven's 5th (or 6th?), pastoral, and Edward G.Robinson got to see what the earth was like before man ruined it... awesome!

And, no, please don't pass the crackers~~ LOL!~

Susan

firegilnotguns Guest
    I doubt that state sponsored suicide will ever get to be mandatory, especially in the US!

There's a truck company in the US, I can't remember what it's called, but their motto is "Our Driving Force is People." Before I'd seen Soylent Green my brother and I were driving down to Florida and he saw one of those trucks and started freaking out, shouting, "Our driving force is people!!!!! It's PEOPLE!!!!" I thought he was going mad but then, of course, I saw the film and every time I saw those trucks in the future I did the same thing. :P

You know, I've never seen it. It was on cable not that long ago and I caught the tail end of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

ajurk Guest
    it always makes me think of phil hartman and SNL when he does the parody and just keeps screaming its people, its people! soylent purple, the sequel.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    You know, I've never seen it. It was on cable not that long ago and I caught the tail end of it.
    Generally I can't hack Heston, but this movie is awesome! If you like futuristic sorts of things... Not that there is a lot of high tech stuff, just the idea that this is in the future, and man has pretty much destroyed the planet and it is majorly overpopulated!

Worth your time, in a cheezy way! Sus

magblax Guest
    Classic movie.."Soylent Green is People"...LOL!!! Actually not too funny because it could become a reality you never know.

hoxharding Guest
    I have watched Soylent Green many times. This is my question:
    It appears as if Soylent Green are tasty little snack crackers of the crispy type.
    So, did they dry the people and turn them into sprinklings for the crispy crackers?
    I would think people would have more substance than those light wafers they showed.

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post

So whaddaya think... do you think we will ever get to the point where state sponsored suicide will be mandatory at a certain age??? Freaky to think about...

Susan
    Great, classic movie!

I'd not hold out much for state-sponsored suicide, considering they have such a problem when you off yourself in private. We're pretty youth-obsessed, at least in the U.S. though.

RoRo Guest
    We will never have state sponsored suicide...look at poor Dr Kevorkian

hoxharding Guest
    I would think Soylent Green would be more like Tofu in appearance.
    I thought it was interesting how rich apartment owners got human 'furniture' with their apartments.

dirk diggler Guest
    Generally I can't hack Heston, but this movie is awesome! If you like futuristic sorts of things... Not that there is a lot of high tech stuff, just the idea that this is in the future, and man has pretty much destroyed the planet and it is majorly overpopulated!

Worth your time, in a cheezy way! Sus
    Heston did another movie like that called "The Omega Man". Robert Neville, (Heston) a doctor,due to an experimental vaccine, is the only survivor of an apocalyptic war waged with biological weapons. The plague caused by the war has killed everyone else except for a few hundred deformed, nocturnal people calling themselves "The Family". The plague has caused them to become sensitive to light, as well as homicidally psychotic. They believe science and technology to be the cause of the war and their punishment, and Neville, as the last symbol of science, the old world, and a "user of the wheel", must die. Neville, using electricty, machinery, and science attempts to hold them at bay.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    Heston did another movie like that called "The Omega Man". Robert Neville, (Heston) a doctor,due to an experimental vaccine, is the only survivor of an apocalyptic war waged with biological weapons. The plague caused by the war has killed everyone else except for a few hundred deformed, nocturnal people calling themselves "The Family". The plague has caused them to become sensitive to light, as well as homicidally psychotic. They believe science and technology to be the cause of the war and their punishment, and Neville, as the last symbol of science, the old world, and a "user of the wheel", must die. Neville, using electricty, machinery, and science attempts to hold them at bay.
    So... did you like it??? Do you think he did it jusf for the money? S

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I would think Soylent Green would be more like Tofu in appearance.
    I thought it was interesting how rich apartment owners got human 'furniture' with their apartments.
    lol.... i guess it would depend on how fluffy the human was!!! S

susalu Guest
    So, 4 years later, any more input on Soylent Green, state sponsored suicide, or Charlton Heston?

Quote Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
    Sounds like the plot of that Will Smith movie.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Sounds like the plot of that Will Smith movie.
    Both movies are based on the novel I Am Legend by Richard Matheson as well as The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price.
    It is quite a good read.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    I still prefer toasted cheese

Rosebud666 Guest
    So, 4 years later, any more input on Soylent Green, state sponsored suicide, or Charlton Heston?
    My favorite is the deleted scene on the Collectors Edition DVD where Heston roars "They can have my soylent green when they can rip it from my cold, dead hands!" :-)

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    My favorite is the deleted scene on the Collectors Edition DVD where Heston roars "They can have my soylent green when they can rip it from my cold, dead hands!" :-)
    hardee har har!

I love that movie! It's so cheesy! I used to always do the "It's people!!!" thing too, and my husband had no idea what I was talking about. I told him about the movie, and he said there was no way Charlton Heston would make a movie like that, so it was off to the video rental place. We laughed our asses off.

I loved how excited they got when they had some fresh food - I think it was celery? And the oh-so-high-tech video game

Ahh, good times
    God loves Canada - Land of the Sodomites!

Soylent Green is delish!
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Both movies are based on the novel I Am Legend by Richard Matheson as well as The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price.
    It is quite a good read.
    I prefer The Omega Man over I Am Legend, which didn't end right to me--the book or the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat_AmmaKittehKat View Post
    I still prefer toasted cheese
    ((((Snort))))
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

stephenmiller Guest
    Don't eat the crackers!

24. 08-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I prefer The Omega Man over I Am Legend, which didn't end right to me--the book or the movie.

I love The Omega Man. Pretty tasty cheese!