Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Reed

Rudy's Girl Guest

Oliver Reed

Oliver Reed, Feb. 13, 1938 to May 2, 1999.

Wild but very talented, he died of a heart attack in a bar in Valletta Malta after he drunkenly arm wrestled 5 young sailors and wooped their butts. This was during the filming of Gladiator. Even Russell Crowe was said to be intimated by him.

I love Ollie and his movies. I am particularly sentimental about a movie he did at age 28, called The Trap.

Cataroo Guest
    I just read on Wikipedia that the song "Consider Yourself" from "Oliver!" was played at his funeral. That's Awesome!!

He was another one that was quite the looker "back in the day"!! (There I go dating myself again!!)

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    I just read on Wikipedia that the song "Consider Yourself" from "Oliver!" was played at his funeral. That's Awesome!!

He was another one that was quite the looker "back in the day"!! (There I go dating myself again!!)
    You are right, young Oliver was very very hot. Those eyes.....

alexmack Guest

[SIZE=5]OH YA!![/SIZE]

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    Oliver Reed, Feb. 13, 1938 to May 2, 1999.

Wild but very talented, he died of a heart attack in a bar in Valletta Malta after he drunkenly arm wrestled 5 young sailors and wooped their butts. This was during the filming of Gladiator. Even Russell Crowe was said to be intimated by him.

I love Ollie and his movies. I am particularly sentimental about a movie he did at age 28, called The Trap.

Oh I love him and some of the stories I've heard. Well, he was an alcholic as you well know and a womanizer and he would say the most inappropeate things. (Especially in interviews involving lady reporters.) His best friend was Alan that starred in a couple of films with him. I use to think Oliver Reed was sexy, hmmmm, hmmm, hmmm, especially when he played in that movie... uh let me look it up lol. It's called The Trap and I only saw it one time (part of it) He looked good enough to eat boys and girls. So big so sexy so (I need to calm down) lol

Want dog?

I saw The Assassination Bureau (1969) with Reed and Diana Rigg when I was a kid and it's been one of my favorite movies ever since. The chemistry was off the charts!

leevancleef Guest
    i love Oliver Reed. He lived on the edge! He was fascinating when he was young...that voice and those eyes!

insanejeff Guest
    The only thing I remember him from was one of my favorite horror films, Burnt Offerings. I could tell he was intense, hypertensive, too wound up.. not surprised a heart attack got him.

knothere Guest
    bellfire looks like u got ur dawg in a jar lol

don't_axe_me Guest
    Was he the one in the movie version of "Tommy" who married Ann-Margaret's character?

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    Was he the one in the movie version of "Tommy" who married Ann-Margaret's character?

Yep ... that's him!

Jill-the-Ripper Guest
    I had such a crush on him when I was 6 and saw him in "Oliver!".
    I always did go for bad boys.

MoJo67 Guest
    I don't know if I am supposed to post links, but this Oliver Reed clip is HILARIOUS.
    I am not much into drunks, but I have to admit, Oliver would have been an interesting one to hold court on the corner barstools with.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZMXIxIQmPw
    Last edited by MoJo67; 10-29-2007 at 09:55 AM.

i saw him in gladiator today...i thought it was sad that he was finally being recognised for his acting not his behaviour & then dies.... he was great in that film. Yes he was good looking - didnt he wrestle someone naked in women in love??

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    i saw him in gladiator today...i thought it was sad that he was finally being recognised for his acting not his behaviour & then dies.... he was great in that film. Yes he was good looking - didnt he wrestle someone naked in women in love??
    Yes, I believe that was Alan Bates. Ollie said he and Bates got smashed in order to do the scene....

Amberlights Guest
    He & Shelley Winters got into it on Johnny Carson's show, wiht her dumping on ice bucket on his head. I think he said something derogatory about women & she didn't like it. He was furious.

b57hrle Guest
    I thought he was seriously Hot!!! Never minded the bad boys... lol.. even in Gladiator you could see in his face he wasnt one to be messed with!

Bring_Out_Yer_Dead Guest
    Oliver was underrated in my opinion and made some
    really good films. One somewhat obscure movie
    made in 1977 was "Crossed Swords", an adaption
    of one of Mark Twain's classic books.
    This was Mark Lester's last movie if I
    recall correctly, his co-star from "Oliver!".
    That's a lot of Olivers in my post!

Cheers all,
    Doug

SlippyInvader Guest
    I remember being on holiday when I heard he'd died.

insanejeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo67 View Post
    I don't know if I am supposed to post links, but this Oliver Reed clip is HILARIOUS.
    I am not much into drunks, but I have to admit, Oliver would have been an interesting one to hold court on the corner barstools with.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZMXIxIQmPw
    Haha, this was great! Thank you! I wish more celebrities would appear totally smashed on TV. I couldn't believe what a big deal was made about Danny DeVito when he did so. The ones who try to hide it are the sad ones....

Hmm, HBO should have a weekly talk show with like 4-5 drunk celebs discussing whatever.. and doing so on purpose. I think I'm onto something!

heaven01uk Guest
    Not long after he died I went on holiday to ireland with my parents, and we found the place where he was buried. It was hard to find this little graveyard, that no one uses anymore, with small chapel ruins in it and quite over grown in places. There was no grave marker in there so the only way to find his grave and pay your respects back then was by a fresh grave. I think there's a marker there now for him and I cant remember if my parents took photo's. It was a weird feeling being there but a very calming one because of how beautiful the place and village actually was.

Cataroo Guest
    I found his grave on FAG:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...3&PIpi=233709&

I love his epitath!
    Last edited by Cataroo; 11-08-2007 at 03:37 PM.

heaven01uk Guest

Thats the one I see a marker was put there

Quote Originally Posted by heaven01uk View Post
    Not long after he died I went on holiday to ireland with my parents, and we found the place where he was buried. It was hard to find this little graveyard, that no one uses anymore, with small chapel ruins in it and quite over grown in places. There was no grave marker in there so the only way to find his grave and pay your respects back then was by a fresh grave. I think there's a marker there now for him and I cant remember if my parents took photo's. It was a weird feeling being there but a very calming one because of how beautiful the place and village actually was.
    His body was returned to his favorite Irish village, and he was buried in a spot where there is a full view of his favorite pub.

is this true???

dem eyes!!!

You are right, young Oliver was very very hot. Those eyes.....
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 08:55 PM.

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    His body was returned to his favorite Irish village, and he was buried in a spot where there is a full view of his favorite pub.

is this true???
    lol yes very true it faces the window where he used to sit and drink. Its a beautiful place very very quiet village, really pretty place to visit.
    http://www.churchtown.net/Webpages/A...oliverreed.htm

The yellowy pub with the star was his favourite pub o'Briens bar
    Last edited by heaven01uk; 11-08-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added a link

lol yes very true it faces the window where he used to sit and drink. Its a beautiful place very very quiet village, really pretty place to visit.

THANX for the info!

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    THANX for the info!

not a problem

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    He was great in "Tommy"....love the "lovely legs contest" at the resort he owned in the film, "Bernie's Holiday Camp."
    He was able to pick Ann-Margret out from the bunch solely by looking at her legs....that's our Ollie!

Sounds like my kinda guy. It would have been fun to go on a pubcrawling mission with him. RIP

SlippyInvader Guest

Thanks! I had no idea he was buried in Ireland.

Guest Guest

The Scar

Ah, that scar on his face totally sealed it for me! What a dish!

Anyway - I believe that when he died his family made a statement that one of his favorite things to do was go to pubs (bars) get drunk and get into fights.

That scar was from a 1963 barfight - and needed 36 stiches to fix!

OBX Guest
    I was 12 when I fell in love with the lady Nancy (played by Shani Wallis) in Oliver. When he killed her character, I never liked him in anything after that. Even in Gladiator, I was waiting for him to do something evil.

Too funny what affects us so strongly at that 12-14 years of age.

leevancleef Guest
    im going to bring this thread back to life just because I LOVE THE MAN.

One of Ollie's infamous quotes: My only regret in life was not managing to sleep with all the women in the world"

i know that hes not everybody's cup of tea, but i, as a woman, find him IRRESISTABLE. I know , i have a soft spot for bad guys.

Oliver Reed, Hank Williams and Andre the Giant are the three guys who I would love to go bar hopping with.

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    im going to bring this thread back to life just because I LOVE THE MAN.

One of Ollie's infamous quotes: My only regret in life was not managing to sleep with all the women in the world"

i know that hes not everybody's cup of tea, but i, as a woman, find him IRRESISTABLE. I know , i have a soft spot for bad guys.
    Have you seen his movie, The Trap? He played a roguish trapper who forced a deaf mute girl to be his wife. What a great film. I totally had the hots for Ollie after that.

leevancleef Guest
    Have you seen his movie, The Trap? He played a roguish trapper who forced a deaf mute girl to be his wife. What a great film. I totally had the hots for Ollie after that.
    ive seen it Ethel, ive seen almost all his filmography!ive been nuts for him for years!

Cubano Guest
    Carol Lynley dated Reed for many years. They starred together in The Shuttered Room, an old '60's English horror film. Carol said she always thought of Reed as "The one that got away." When he passed she took it very hard.
    She only had good things to say about him as a friend and a lover.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I believe he dropped the C word about to to Shelly LOL She got pissed and did the ice bucket on his head. Was he ever married? I just cannotthink there ever was a woman insane enough to marry him. I loved him but would be damned if I wouldn't had killed him 15 mintues after I met him LOL

Reed is also great in my favorite contemporary film THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN. There's a film about 20 years old with a high ratio of actors who have since passed.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

leevancleef Guest
    I regret not having made love to every women on earth, I regret having not kissed the wet nose on every dog on earth, I regret having not been into every bar on earth, but it doesn't make me a hell raiser. If somebody punches me on the nose, I will punch them back; if somebody buys me a drink, I will buy them one back'
    Oliver Reed

This man is a legend.

shelly winters dumps whiskey on Oliver Reed-Carson looks on

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I believe he dropped the C word about to to Shelly LOL She got pissed and did the ice bucket on his head. Was he ever married? I just cannotthink there ever was a woman insane enough to marry him. I loved him but would be damned if I wouldn't had killed him 15 mintues after I met him LOL
    here you go, it is about halfway through it.
    he does maintain his aplomb.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpSL-nqBVY

That clip was awesome. I agree with everything Oliver was saying.

see the first two clips on you tube. put in oliver reed johnny carson and they will come up.
    shelly was rather boorish in the first two clips. she had had her moment with johnny and then oliver is introduced. she moves over on the couch and then proceeds to interrupt a number of times.
    and the thrown drink was beyond the pale. just rude manners. the man was asked his opinion and he gave it.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    here you go, it is about halfway through it.
    he does maintain his aplomb.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpSL-nqBVY
    Thanks for the clip, I'm dating myself by saying that I actually remember seeing this Carson show--live ! Shelley was such a blowsy, strange woman...but I loved her anyway.

I just watched "Women In Love" for about the 10th time, to watch Ollie and Glenda Jackson spar for two hours is pure "actorly" heaven. His nude wrestling scene with Alan Bates is, to this day, one of the boldest pieces of filmmaking I have ever seen...I love this movie and highly recommend to any Oliver Reed (or Glenda Jackson OR Alan Bates) fans out there who have never seen it; a true masterpiece.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Thanks for the clip, I'm dating myself by saying that I actually remember seeing this Carson show--live ! Shelley was such a blowsy, strange woman...but I loved her anyway.

I just watched "Women In Love" for about the 10th time, to watch Ollie and Glenda Jackson spar for two hours is pure "actorly" heaven. His nude wrestling scene with Alan Bates is, to this day, one of the boldest pieces of filmmaking I have ever seen...I love this movie and highly recommend to any Oliver Reed (or Glenda Jackson OR Alan Bates) fans out there who have never seen it; a true masterpiece.
    i absolutely love this movie. im a huge OLLIE fan but Glenda and Bates are also AWESOME in this movie. Alan BAtes was a hell of an actor.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    i absolutely love this movie. im a huge OLLIE fan but Glenda and Bates are also AWESOME in this movie. Alan BAtes was a hell of an actor.
    Speaking of Alan Bates, he was so incredibly attractive, in that scruffy way of his, in "Georgy Girl." Sex appeal like his is gone, long gone.

If anyone wants to find out more about the crazy stuff Oliver did, I can recommend the book "Hellraisers". It's also about Richard Harris, Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole. Can be bought on amazon or EBay for pennies.

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BillySmartsC View Post
    If anyone wants to find out more about the crazy stuff Oliver did, I can recommend the book "Hellraisers". It's also about Richard Harris, Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole. Can be bought on amazon or EBay for pennies.

Thanks Billy, it sounds interesting!

Thanks Billy, it sounds interesting!
    Very much so Eth' thanks. I pride myself on being Ollie "Lite" can't go the whole hog as I have to work a regular job, lol.