Thread: Why quit a great show to bomb on another?

onehunglow Guest

Why quit a great show to bomb on another?

Joey
    Studio 77 or whatever
    Not many get lucky twice. Seinfeld curse T/F

poppie Guest
    Adam Cartwright - Pernell Roberts said Bonanza was beneath this talents, but only after he was on the show for six years and made some big bucks. He never did get the giant star he felt he was entitled to.

Danny62 Guest
    Redd Foxx left "Sanford & Son" to switch to ABC for "the Redd Foxx show" and it bombed.

ABC paid Redd a small fortune and really they didn't care if it was a hit or not. They mainly wanted to get Sanford & Son off the air because it was such a hit!!

And it worked...

OBX Guest
    Well, all shows sign everyone on it to a 5 year contract before it starts. So, you have to figure that for everyone that is not the MAJOR star of the show, it is a peanuts deal. So at the 5-year mark and beyond, you either really get a big deal or walk while you are hot.

That new sitcom or whatever may tank after 13 weeks, but if you are the star you signed a really sweet new 5-year deal for it and get bigger bucks than if you had stayed on the old show.

It's all about the Benjamins.

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Joey
    Studio 77 or whatever
    Not many get lucky twice. Seinfeld curse T/F

I not really sure if you can say the actors are cursed as much as well-worn. What i mean by that is that sometimes casting people, directors, and other people in the industry get into certain characters. Wehn the character becomes old and stale then the unfortunate person that played the character does as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Adam Cartwright - Pernell Roberts said Bonanza was beneath this talents, but only after he was on the show for six years and made some big bucks. He never did get the giant star he felt he was entitled to.
    This one is kind of special to me because I actually read a reason that he gave for his early exit. He never mentioned in this interview about the part being beneath him but that's not to say it was the truth but here is what he said the the interview: (Not a direct quote because I can't remember every word.) I felt I had to leave because my character wasn't growing. Here I was a grown man still living with my father. It just didn't make sense to me. I was an adult and I was in a sense still calling him daddy. I just felt like there was more and I told the producers. (Incidentally they never closed the part of Adam or killed him off in hopes that some day he would return.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Redd Foxx left "Sanford & Son" to switch to ABC for "the Redd Foxx show" and it bombed.
    ABC paid Redd a small fortune and really they didn't care if it was a hit or not. They mainly wanted to get Sanford & Son off the air because it was such a hit!!
    And it worked...
    [SIZE=2]
    I don't know how closely you followed the show but Redd Foxx had two problems at the time. The first one was Redd wanted more money. He figured that he was important to the show and that the people in charge of the payroll better know it. Secondly, Redd was a very sick man. There were a few episodes where you could see the character (Fred) coughing and sounding hoarse. Well it turns out that at the time, he had an undisclosed illness and needed time off to recover.

[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    Well, all shows sign everyone on it to a 5 year contract before it starts. So, you have to figure that for everyone that is not the MAJOR star of the show, it is a peanuts deal. So at the 5-year mark and beyond, you either really get a big deal or walk while you are hot.
    That new sitcom or whatever may tank after 13 weeks, but if you are the star you signed a really sweet new 5-year deal for it and get bigger bucks than if you had stayed on the old show.
    It's all about the Benjamins.
    There is a writer's strike looming and there just isn't anything really great in the way of material. I hope that the writers get their payola.