Thread: Luciano Pavarotti

Bigfoot Guest

Luciano Pavarotti

Great guy with a great voice! Here's the only pic of him inside his casket(I know, not the best, but it's him!)

Hope you enjoy it!

Joey!

P.D. Noob here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pav1a.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	298  

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Such a grand and ornate background...WOW!! Thanks for the pic.

P.S. Welcome to the FAD forum!!

don't_axe_me Guest
    Beautiful

From what I understand, he went to great lengths to not be photographed in the last year before he died. I know he had Pancreatic Cancer and it can take a great toll on the body, but I guess he didn't want people to remember him that way. How sad.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma

Last edited by Serendipity09; 12-04-2007 at 04:58 AM.

meaning: Nessum Dorma is about a man who tells the woman he loves to guess what his name is before a certain time. If she can't victory will be his and she will be his.

sweet!!

Morrissey Guest
    I sobbed when he cried.

He was one of the best tenors ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    meaning: Nessum Dorma is about a man who tells the woman he loves to guess what his name is before a certain time. If she can't victory will be his and she will be his.

sweet!!
    Aretha Franklin stepped in for him and sang it an an awards show - she hit just right and got a standing ovation afterwards. I have it on CD and just about cried when I heard it, since it's such a beautiful song and she sang it so beautiful too.

GEAUX LSU Guest
    it was sad when he died..thanks for the casket pic....i hated to see him leave when his latest daughter was so young, but when God calls he has a reason.

Pavarotti's widow denounces gossip
    ROME - Luciano Pavarotti's widow denounced the "unseemly" gossip swirling in the Italian media alleging financial and family problems, saying Saturday she felt compelled to set the record straight for the sake of their young daughter.
    Nicoletta Mantovani appeared on RAI state television, granting her first interview since the Sept. 6 death of the great Italian tenor.
    She set out to publicly defend herself and Pavarotti against a series of Italian media reports alleging that Pavarotti had left her $26 million in debt, that she was fighting with his daughters from his first marriage over his will and that their marriage had been on the rocks before he died.
    She denied Pavarotti had left her in debt, or that she was squabbling with his three adult daughters over the terms of his will. Pavarotti left half of his estate to Mantovani and half to his four daughters.
    "Luciano was someone who took care of everything in every sense. He took care of the affective side and the material side, meaning he left enough for everyone," she said.
    She stressed: "Between me and his daughters, there is no disagreement."
    "The press and television that is trying to incriminate that relationship is truly unseemly," she said.
    Mantovani said she had never imagined that she would go on TV to discuss such personal issues, but that she felt obliged to set the record straight because Pavarotti could no longer do so himself and because their 4-year-old daughter, Alice, would one day want to learn more about her father.
    "I owe it to the two people closest to me," Mantovani said. "If they insult me, it can pass with patience, I'm here and can defend myself. But Luciano can't, and Alice is a 4-year-old child."
    She said she wanted to leave Alice with solid evidence that she had defended herself and Pavarotti from the gossip â?? much of it attributed to friends of the tenor â?? adding that she was recording the session at home so Alice could watch it one day.
    Pavarotti was beloved by generations of opera-goers and pop fans alike for his breathtaking high Cs, hearty renditions of popular folk songs like "O Sole Mio" and collaborations with singers such as Bono, Elton John and the Spice Girls.
    Mantovani also confirmed media reports that she has multiple sclerosis, saying that while she had kept the condition private for 13 years, she did not want it to appear that she was ashamed of it.
    She recalled that when she told Pavarotti of her diagnosis â?? just six months into their 13-year relationship â?? she told him that she did not want to weigh him down with her treatments.
    "He told me: 'Last night I loved you. Today, I adore you."

RoRo Guest
    I tend to drive people crazy cuz I blast his cds ...Opera is best loud in my opinion...He brought me to tears so many times, I only wish I could have seen him live

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Aretha Franklin stepped in for him and sang it an an awards show - she hit just right and got a standing ovation afterwards. I have it on CD and just about cried when I heard it, since it's such a beautiful song and she sang it so beautiful too.
    Aretha will be the next one that will be hard to take.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    The Queen of Soul sang Nessun Dorma?!?! Surely you jest!!!

I love both opera (which I performed/spinta soprano/vocal performance accredited) and soul (urban radio disc jokey and live mix show performer/multiple years) .. but I'd have to be convinced she truly pulled that off to the satisfaction of the longhair crowd. The operatic set is a very hard one to win over. Fistfights at La Scala are not unheard of. I kid thee not.

"The Pav" was the top operatic earner moneywise, but I've always felt that Plácido Domingo has the better lyric and drammatic instrument. A close call perhaps. But what I liked about the Pav was, he wasn't afraid to experiment outside the realm. He was one of the few to get away with it because this too annoys the purists very much.

I'd have to admit, he owned Nessum Dorma though. He sure will be missed.

PS -- No idea how I hyperlinked Domingo's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    The Queen of Soul sang Nessun Dorma?!?! Surely you jest!!!
    Yes, she sang it! If you want to give it a listen it's on the CD, "Ultimate Divas" and can be found on Amazon.com. (You can even get a 30 second clip from there). It's a really good CD anyway - lots of great songs on there - besides just Aretha's!

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Thanks so much for the tip! Gotta hear this!

ROME - Luciano Pavarotti's widow denounced the "unseemly" gossip swirling in the Italian media alleging financial and family problems, saying Saturday she felt compelled to set the record straight for the sake of their young daughter.
    Nicoletta Mantovani appeared on RAI state television, granting her first interview since the Sept. 6 death of the great Italian tenor.
    She set out to publicly defend herself and Pavarotti against a series of Italian media reports alleging that Pavarotti had left her $26 million in debt, that she was fighting with his daughters from his first marriage over his will and that their marriage had been on the rocks before he died.
    She denied Pavarotti had left her in debt, or that she was squabbling with his three adult daughters over the terms of his will. Pavarotti left half of his estate to Mantovani and half to his four daughters.
    "Luciano was someone who took care of everything in every sense. He took care of the affective side and the material side, meaning he left enough for everyone," she said.
    "The press and television that is trying to incriminate that relationship is truly unseemly," she said.
    Mantovani said she had never imagined that she would go on TV to discuss such personal issues, but that she felt obliged to set the record straight because Pavarotti could no longer do so himself and because their 4-year-old daughter, Alice, would one day want to learn more about her father.
    "I owe it to the two people closest to me," Mantovani said. "If they insult me, it can pass with patience, I'm here and can defend myself. But Luciano can't, and Alice is a 4-year-old child."
    She said she wanted to leave Alice with solid evidence that she had defended herself and Pavarotti from the gossip — much of it attributed to friends of the tenor — adding that she was recording the session at home so Alice could watch it one day.
    Pavarotti was beloved by generations of opera-goers and pop fans alike for his breathtaking high Cs, hearty renditions of popular folk songs like "O Sole Mio" and collaborations with singers such as Bono, Elton John and the Spice Girls.
    Mantovani also confirmed media reports that she has multiple sclerosis, saying that while she had kept the condition private for 13 years, she did not want it to appear that she was ashamed of it.
    She recalled that when she told Pavarotti of her diagnosis — just six months into their 13-year relationship — she told him that she did not want to weigh him down with her treatments.
    Luciano Pavarotti's widow has sued two friends of the late tenor for defamation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071126/ap_en_mu/italy_pavarotti_s_widow

I just read over the weekend that he was buried in a white tux with a white hanky in his hand for "flourish".

Tebssis Guest
    She said she wanted to leave Alice with solid evidence that she had defended herself and Pavarotti from the gossip â?? much of it attributed to friends of the tenor â?? adding that she was recording the session at home so Alice could watch it one day.
    She recalled that when she told Pavarotti of her diagnosis â?? just six months into their 13-year relationship â?? she told him that she did not want to weigh him down with her treatments.
    What a brave woman to have to "set the record straight" after losing her husband. And what a great quote that last line is, truly one of the best I've ever heard from a husband to a wife! So sad that Alice will miss knowing him later in her life.

Kathyf Guest
    Thanks for the pic. He was so talented!

ROME (AP) - The world will mark the first anniversary of the death of Luciano Pavarotti with a series of concerts, an exhibit and other events.
    Among the tributes planned for the celebrated tenor, who died Sept. 6, 2007, are a concert at New York's Metropolitan Opera House on Sept. 18, and an exhibit on his life, with photographs, films and costumes collected by friends and colleagues, that opens in Rome on Oct. 17.
    A concert in Petra, Jordan, is scheduled for Oct. 12, while conductor Leone Magiera, who worked with Pavarotti for years, is reportedly planning a tribute concert in Paris on Jan. 27.

Giada Guest
    Pavarotti seemed to me so much a powerhouse. Completely different from others, and I admired the strength and fortidude in his singing, (non-musical here), simple appreciation.