Thread: 1978 Tornado Devastated High Point Elementary School.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.

1978 Tornado Devastated High Point Elementary School.

In the mid 70's I used to spend the summer with my grandmother, who lived in Clearwater, Florida. I seem to remember that about 1976 or 1977, I was reading in the local newspapers, that there was an Elementary school in Florida that was demolished by either a tornado or gas explosion. If I remember correctly, very few students survived this disaster. Does anybody out there know what I'm referring to? If so, could someone please provide some info on this tragedy? Thank you.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

SHAZAAMM!!!! That's it! You found it! Thank you very much! I remember that, even though I was very young. My grandmother's whole neighborhood kept talking about what a tragedy it was.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Wow , that was just terrible, I cannot imagine being a child and experiencing this tragedy. Thanks for sharing the story!

ozzysmom Guest
    I have lived in Dunedin (right above Clearwater) almost all of my life. I totally remember that day that the tornado hit that school. The weather was REALLY BAD that day. I also remember VIVIDLY the day that the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was hit by the barge and all those cars and a bus load of people went into the drink. That day the weather was REALLY BAD too.

Ooh, Dunedin Beach Park! Spent a lot of time there as a kid. Great Park! I remember when I was on the swings that faced the water. I always thought if I was able to swing high enough, I could jump off the swing and land in the water. Never had the guts to actually try it, though.

ozzysmom Guest
    Dunedin is still as lovely as ever. In fact Caladesi Island was voted the best beach by Dr. Beach this year. We're very proud of our little town.