Thread: Kids by Larry Clark

StricklandFOREVER Guest

Unhappy Kids by Larry Clark

I know we use to watch this movie called "KIDS" a hundred times in college. It is directed by Larry Clark. I guess it really got us wondering......Has anybody else on here seen it? It is a really twisted movie and came during the AIDS controversy. Anyway, the fate of all the kids in the movie are pretty much leading to death by AIDS........or some other twisted way.

I found it interesting that two of the kid actors in the movie are really dead. Justin Pierce who played "Casper" died in Las Vegas due to a suicide by hanging....he killed himself in 2000 right after making the movie "Next Friday."

Also, the actor/ professional skateboarder Harold Hunter who was also in the film was found dead in his apartment from a heart attack due to drug use. He died in 2006....

That movie was so messed up and crazy....seemed these actors really lived those lives....

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    never heard of it, I"ll have to check it out

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i remember this movie, it was banned in sc for awhile because of its content!! wasnt there a scene where a kid whaps another with a skateboard and a love scene on a sofa?? this movie was contoversial as hell!!!

hoxharding Guest
    I saw it, lurid little film. Wasn't one character HIV positive and he was going around and having sex? Then he rapes one girl? It was not a happy film,very dark.
    He did 'Bully' didn't he?

scarletfever1971 Guest
    I think I too have seen this! If not, this was another dark and strange movie. I remember the ending of this movie where there was a party and a girl was passed out (well pretty much everyone was) and the kid that was HIV positive decided to rape the girl and no one even noticed...

StricklandFOREVER Guest
    Actually, it was the girl that was HIV positive and the guy raped her. That guy was played by Justin Pierce....he is the one who hung himself. The girl became HIV positive by the other guy in the film that was going around and having sex with virgins.

Larry Clark is a twisted artist...he did direct "Bully" and also had a photography book, but it has been ban for it's content.

Chloe Sevgney (sp?) is in it. She's the poor girl who gets infected and spends the rest of the movie trying to find the guy who infected her.

I remember watching this movie and thinking... Kids these days!

firegilnotguns Guest
    I saw that movie about 10 or 11 years ago and remember it bothering me...I didn't get how some people I knew could own it and watch it repeatedly. I didn't know two of the guys were dead IRL though...wow...

HeatherB Guest
    That was the first movie I saw that ever really "freaked" me out...It was brilliant, but the problem was, I was too young to know how brilliant it was!

Thanks for the info...Ironic I think, but interesting...

kathys1977 Guest

Smile

i remember seeing it a long time ago. When it came out if you recall people made a big deal out of seeing it because it was so "Bad" . Ha Ha . So of couse my brother and I stayed up late watching it on cinimax several times. Its a great movie and definitly one i should see again sometime. I forgot all about those 2 people in the cast being dead until you mentioned it.

kathy

lil_zino Guest
    I own the film. I don't watch it so much any longer now that I actually do work in the social service field, because I see a lot of stuff on par with this on a regular basis.

Chloe Sevigny was amazing in this film. Actually, everyone was, you really got the feeling you were watching a documentary at points. Too bad about Justin Pierce because he stole a lot of scenes he was in. He could've really went far.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i like Justin Pierce alot, but this movie really disturbed me~

Lisamarie Guest
    Okay I just dont get the whole hanging thing ..I mean thats gotta hurt! Anyone know if his suicide note is online or what it said?? Wonder why he did it...just like Jonathan Brandis and the guy from suddenly susan.....The movie , I was just like Jason...kids these days! Anyone know what happens when you hang yourself?? Like how long it takes that type of thing???

monhol Guest
    my friend got this movie for her kids so they could see the dangers in the world. it was several years back. i never knew the name i remember her telling me about it.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I remember renting this years ago when it came out, thinking it was going to be like Clerks. Wow, was I in for a surprise. It was disturbing to the point that I couldn't watch it again and that rarely happens for me.

I feel that way about Trainspotting, too. That baby in there really disturbs me.

star82 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I saw it, lurid little film. Wasn't one character HIV positive and he was going around and having sex? Then he rapes one girl? It was not a happy film,very dark.
    He did 'Bully' didn't he?

Telly was the HIV postive character. Ugh. he was so nasty.

Morrissey Guest
    I'm a -huge- Larry Clark fan.

I loved Kids, and saw it for the first time when I was a kid...it did leave me with a rather unsettled feeling.

Bully is amazing too. (Michael Pitt eye-candy, need I say more?)

yes i saw it. the movie was in at save-a-lot on the movie rack.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DelightfulDeathHag View Post
    never heard of it, I"ll have to check it out
    Ditto...

lowblowmonroe Guest
    THat movie disturbed me when I saw it as a teenager...and I cant bring myself as an adult, now, to watch it again...know it sounds lame, but rape scenes aren't my bag, baby.

LICODDI Guest
    it was a creepy ass movie. That disturbed me far more than any horror film ever did.......god it's scary to think that there's kids like that out there. They were so CANDID on their sex life details!

UGHHHHH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StricklandFOREVER View Post
    I know we use to watch this movie called "KIDS" a hundred times in college. It is directed by Larry Clark. I guess it really got us wondering......Has anybody else on here seen it? It is a really twisted movie and came during the AIDS controversy. Anyway, the fate of all the kids in the movie are pretty much leading to death by AIDS........or some other twisted way.

I found it interesting that two of the kid actors in the movie are really dead. Justin Pierce who played "Casper" died in Las Vegas due to a suicide by hanging....he killed himself in 2000 right after making the movie "Next Friday."

Also, the actor/ professional skateboarder Harold Hunter who was also in the film was found dead in his apartment from a heart attack due to drug use. He died in 2006....

That movie was so messed up and crazy....seemed these actors really lived those lives....

Another dead one from that movie was the guy who played Paul. He died in July of 1999, no mention how.

aLiLdirt Guest
    I bought this on the advice of a friend who said it was 'good.'
    I watched it once and was so disturbed by it, I immediately put it in the yard sale closet after viewing.
    Funny thing is, I couldn't even give it away when I did finally put it in my annual sale.
    It went to the charity shop with all the other unsolds.
    So sad reading of the early demise of some of the actors in the film...

The worst scene for me was when he was having sex with the young virgin. It just broke my heart to hear him bullshit her and to see her react like she believed he loved her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Hated that movie. HATED it.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

"I have no legs..."

28. 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM

RaRaRamona Guest
    I remember watching it. Some friends of mine raved about it & watched it over & over. I just found it very disturbing. I agree that it did seem like a docu at times.

I am now very interested in looking up the dead actors. Well...duh

babygirl27 Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    "I have no legs..."
    I have been saying that quote randomly [for no good reason]for years and even people who vividly remember the movie,don't recall that part.Nice to know i'm not the only weirdo that remembers that!

TCE Guest

Justin Pierce

The guy from Next Friday and Kids. Anyone know why he hung himself? He was only 25 and had a bright future in acting ahead of him.

Article about the making of the movie and what became of all the kids in the movie:
    http://narrative.ly/keep-calm-and-ca...nds-never-die/
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.