Thread: Nicolette Larson

Nicolette Larson

I didn't know she passed in 1997. "Lotta Love" is a great song.

candleinthewind Guest
    I missed that too. I was always surprised that she didn't become a bigger star and have more hits.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post

My favorite is the one she did with Steve Wariner - "That's How You Know When Love's Right". She was beautiful.

alexmack Guest
    SHE'S DEAD??? How?

Brain Cancer, I believe.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmack View Post
    SHE'S DEAD??? How?
    According to this website

http://www.nicolettelarson.com/main.html

Nicolette passed away in December of 1997 due to complications from a cerebral edema

Snoopy Guest
    Wow I didn't realize she'd died either!

Morbid1 Guest
    She was great!

Such a sad loss.

-Morbid1

mickydoolittle Guest
    She was pretty good...she had a pretty hard time in life there for awhile. It wasn't cancer, but cerebral edema...you should check Neil Young's covers of Lotta Love.
    Last edited by mickydoolittle; 10-10-2007 at 11:53 AM.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mickydoolittle View Post
    She was pretty good...she had a pretty hard time in life there for awhile. It wasn't cancer, but cerebral edema...you should check Neil Young's covers of Lotta Love.
    Actually, I think Nicolette covered Neil.... Also she did some beautiful backup/duets with him on "Comes a time" and "Harvest Moon"....

You know I had forgotten that she died... She is missed!

SUsan

cachluv Guest
    I like the song she did w/ Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I think it was Make A Little Magic.

cherryghost Guest
    "lotta Love" was written by Neil Young as was said! She had a poignant lovely voice!

13. 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM

MorbidMolly Guest

John Connor Guest

Nicolette Larson

Double Post: Sorry I didn't see the first one til too late.

It was in my research about Cathy Smith (who injected John Belushi with is last high) that I rediscovered Nicolette. They were both back up singers for Hoyt Axton in the seventies. One of my favourite tunes is Nicolette and Neil Young singing Already One. She had a lovely voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrLQ...eature=related

Nicolette Larson (July 17, 1952December 16, 1997) was an American singer best known for her 1979 cover version of Neil Young's "Lotta Love.

Larson died on December 16, 1997 in Los Angeles as a result of complications arising from cerebral edema. Larson is survived by her husband, the drummer Russell Kunkel, and her daughter Elsie May Larson-Kunkel. Larson is buried in Forest Lawn – Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles.
    A benefit concert was held in her honor following her death.

Last edited by John Connor; 10-14-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Gonna take Alot of Love

Thats the only song I remember from her. Had no idea she died. Woah !

pattykad Guest
    She did Let Me Go Love with Michael McDonald...one of the best
    duets in music....great harmonies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-D8YdbJ-g

Sad, she was only 45 and left behind a 7 year old daughter.

I'm not too familiar with her solo work other than "Lotta Love" but she did some great stuff with Neil Young. Guess things didn't work out between them but he did give her the song that became her only big hit.

Jod6cindy Guest
    Nicolette did a great cover of Dusty Springfield's "I Only Want To Be With You" in 1982 that was totally infectious. It also featured some very tasty guitar work by Andrew Gold, whom Nicolette was married to at the time.

She also did two country albums for MCA in the mid 80s that were nice. She seemed like a very sweet soul. What a sin that she died so young.

Long Gone Day Guest

Oh...I...was..just..wandering..around
    in..the.Currently...Listening....To..Thread
    and..saw..her..posted..and..it..made..me..think..of..her.

I..loved..her..singing..this..song

Nicolette Larson
    Lotta Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CohK_DjSOKI

R.I.P.Nicolette

It..always..reminds..me..of..summer.

Jod6cindy Guest
    I loved Nicolette Larson. I recently saw an old tape of her on The Merv Griffin Show in 1982 with music personality Kal Rudman. Merv and Kal were complimenting her on her singing and on her new record (I Only Want To Be With You) and Nicolette was reacting so sweetly and shyly to their praise. It was very, very refreshing as it was so GENUINE.

I couldn't help but think to myself: Very few women (especially those in the music business or in the public eye) act like that anymore. That kind of warmth is very rarely seen in 2009 and I think it is such a damn shame.

What a SWEETHEART Nicolette seemed to be. A lovely voice and a lovely woman.

Wow, here's another I did not know had passed.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

rickenbacker Guest
    Being a music geek, I tend to really analyze every song. Lotta Love wasn't one of my favorites, but I will gladly tell anyone I think that it is the best produced single of any 70s hits. Her voice soars over the top, yet every instrument is heard. I can listen to that song over and over. Ted Templeman was the producer, by the way. He also was at the board for the first Montrose album, and the classic Van Halen albums.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Didn't she do a song with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt?

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    Didn't she do a song with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt?
    I..know..EmmyLou..sang..a..lot..with..Dolly..and..Linda....Im..not
    sure..about..Nicolette..but..if..she..did...let..me..know...Id..love..to
    hear..that.

Jod6cindy Guest
    I know that Nicolette did a great duet with Linda on a sad and gorgeous record called "Running Wild" (from one of her mid-1980s MCA "country" LPs). It was a remake of a Louvin Brothers song.

Nicolette and Linda sounded beautiful together.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Maybe I was thinking of Emmy Lou

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    Maybe I was thinking of Emmy Lou

Right?!!!...Thats..what..I..did!...
    Last..night..when..I..was..looking..at..the
    currently...listening..thread......I..was..just..about..to..post..that..Nicolette
    was..the..one..doing..back..up..for..Bob..Dylan..on..the..Desire..album
    and..was..getting..ready...to..post..the..song..One..More..Cup..of..Coffee
    For..the..Road.....saying...heres...Nicolette...with..Bob......Sheesh!
    My....mind....my....mind......

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jod6cindy View Post
    I know that Nicolette did a great duet with Linda on a sad and gorgeous record called "Running Wild" (from one of her mid-1980s MCA "country" LPs). It was a remake of a Louvin Brothers song.

Nicolette and Linda sounded beautiful together.
    Ooooh...thanks..for..that...Jod

monroe27 Guest
    I love Nicollette's voice! "Lotta Love" is my absolute favorite. I got an album of hers a few years ago, and she does a great rendition of Sam Cooke's "You Send Me". Another good song on the album is "Rumba Girl". She left us way to early.
    Last edited by monroe27; 02-03-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: missed a letter

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    Double Post: Sorry I didn't see the first one til too late.

It was in my research about Cathy Smith (who injected John Belushi with is last high) that I rediscovered Nicolette. They were both back up singers for Hoyt Axton in the seventies. One of my favourite tunes is Nicolette and Neil Young singing Already One. She had a lovely voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrLQ...eature=related

Nicolette Larson (July 17, 1952 â?? December 16, 1997) was an American singer best known for her 1979 cover version of Neil Young's "Lotta Love.

Larson died on December 16, 1997 in Los Angeles as a result of complications arising from cerebral edema. Larson is survived by her husband, the drummer Russell Kunkel, and her daughter Elsie May Larson-Kunkel. Larson is buried in Forest Lawn â?? Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles.
    A benefit concert was held in her honor following her death.

That concert must have been a good one looking at the lineup. All the greats played. As I said before I only knew Lotta Love by her. One of the great singles of the late 70s. While for the most part she was a one hit wonder, she evidently had effect on the greats of the time.

ShellBell Guest
    Good song.. Lotta Love. Takes me right back to my childhood. She has a great voice. It's sad when people die before their time.

MorbidMolly Guest
    She died on my birthday.....lovely epitaph

When ever I hear the song Lotta Love by Nicolette Larson
    on the radio it always seems to make me smile.

NOVSTORM Guest
    That is too bad. SHe was so good and too young to die.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    Being a music geek, I tend to really analyze every song. Lotta Love wasn't one of my favorites, but I will gladly tell anyone I think that it is the best produced single of any 70s hits. Her voice soars over the top, yet every instrument is heard. I can listen to that song over and over. Ted Templeman was the producer, by the way. He also was at the board for the first Montrose album, and the classic Van Halen albums.

I didnt know this, I thought Eddie Kramer produced this one.

I just saw a small snipet of her death on VH1. They were doing some 70s show and I caught the very end of it. The song Lotta Love is catchy because as you said, you hear every instrument. It borders on ( yuck ) disco but isnt quite there. Larsons version is definately better then Neil Young's

She also sang at the wedding of Valerie Bertinlli and Eddie Van Halen.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by betsy View Post
    Sad, she was only 45 and left behind a 7 year old daughter.

I'm not too familiar with her solo work other than "Lotta Love" but she did some great stuff with Neil Young. Guess things didn't work out between them but he did give her the song that became her only big hit.
    Didn't she and Neil have a romance?
    She had a lovely voice, and they sang well together.

I didn't know that she passed away, either!

I loved "Lotta Love". Didn't Neil Young write that song?

I'm a little shocked...I imagine I should come here more often...

May she RIP.

Forever-27 Guest
    I was at my storage yesterday. Going through a. Crate of albums I found the 2 record set " No nukes " its a conerrt recording from september 19-23, 1979 from madison square garden. She performs live on it along with chaka kahn, bruce springsteen, jackson browne and many others. This live version is great. Lotta love has her singing with the doobie brothers as her band. I don't remember buying this album but she adds a lot to it.

lmphillips2000 Guest
    I was lucky enough to see her perform at a small venue in Olmpia WA. in 1982. She was very talented and was an awesome backup singer for so many.

RIP Nicolette

Interview with her daughter, Elsie May. She looks so much like Nicolette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwq_64qbGo

I guess thats why I'm addicted to this place, I didn't know until now that she had passed. Such a lovely person. Now we have to deal with "talent" like Lady GaGa, Nicki Minaj...ugh!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

SHARONTATEFAN2014 Guest
    I have read Nicolette had a chronic addiction to Tylenol Pm and another narcotic (which I can't remember) and that's why her liver failed......Nicolette was a one of a kind singer. I have all of her Lp's on vinyl, except the one she did in 1988. Most of her Warner Bros. era material was re-issued on CD by the Wounded Bird label and are now out of print and going for outrageous prices. R.I.P Nicolette, you are missed!

Quote Originally Posted by SHARONTATEFAN2014 View Post
    I have read Nicolette had a chronic addiction to Tylenol Pm and another narcotic (which I can't remember) and that's why her liver failed......Nicolette was a one of a kind singer. I have all of her Lp's on vinyl, except the one she did in 1988. Most of her Warner Bros. era material was re-issued on CD by the Wounded Bird label and are now out of print and going for outrageous prices. R.I.P Nicolette, you are missed!

According to Wikipedia ( yes I know )....besides Tylenol PM Larson was addicted to valium too. For some reason I seem to recall one of the tabloids back in the early 90s reporting that Larson was often seen hitting the pharmacies several times a week and "stocking up" on Tylenol PM and Dristan cold tablets with the headline "..Nicolette Larson from Lotta Love to Lotta Drugs !!". Looking back now I think the tabloid in question was the National Examiner. Considering that at the time that magazine was just a step above the Weekly World News I am sure alot of people back then didn't believe it.

VanessaRetrosoul Guest
    Lotta Love is the only song I know ...I just thought about the song today..humming it as of late...She was so pretty and young... it seems alot of the lesser known singers Pass Away young..Like Merle Wilson (The Telephone Man Song 1977)..I liked that too.And Florence Ballard my idol she passed so young too. It's sad...Thats why i am glad about this website and find a grave.com too,they help us remember those celebrities,singers,and other notables that have had some impact on our society in their life times.