Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An American Crime/Sylvia Likens

hoxharding Guest

An American Crime/Sylvia Likens

Sylvia Likens
    In July 1965, Lester and Betty Likens suggested that she take their two daughters - Sylvia Marie Likens, 16, and Sylvia's younger sister, Jenny, 15 - as boarders in return $20 a week in compensation. Sylvia and Jenny attended high school and social functions with the Baniszewski children, as well as church with Gertrude on Sunday.
    However, when Lester's first $20 payment failed to arrive on time, Baniszewski beat the girls. Shortly thereafter the girls were beaten for having candy that Gertrude accused them of stealing (they had, in fact, bought it). Thus began a regular pattern of child abuse.

[edit] The torture begins

In August 1965, Baniszewski began to verbally and physically abuse Sylvia, allowing her older children to beat Sylvia, and push her down stairs. Baniszewski also accused Sylvia of being a prostitute, and delivered "sermons" to her children and Sylvia about the filthiness of prostitutes and women in general. After Sylvia and Jenny accused Baniszewski's daughters Paula and Stephanie of being prostitutes, Stephanie's boyfriend Coy Hubbard, and several other classmates and local boys were brought in to assist Baniszewski in beating Sylvia.

[edit] Escalation

In August 1965, Phyllis and Raymond Vermillion moved in next door to the Baniszewski family, and immediately noticed a pattern of abuse and violence towards Sylvia. However, they did not approach the authorities with any concerns. Around this time, Sylvia stole a gym suit from school, but Baniszewski found it and beat a confession out of Sylvia, before burning her with a lit cigarette - a practice which became routine. It was after this that Baniszewski pulled Sylvia out of school. Soon after, Baniszewski again accused Sylvia of prostitution, and forced her to strip and masturbate with a Coca Cola bottle for a group of neighborhood boys.

[edit] The basement

Following the Coke bottle incident, Sylvia became incontinent; as a result, Baniszewski locked her in the basement. Gertrude then began a bathing regime to "cleanse" Sylvia, involving dousing her with scalding water and rubbing salt into the burns. She was often kept naked and rarely fed. At times, Baniszewski and her twelve-year-old son John Jr. would make Sylvia eat her own feces.
    Sometime around this period, Jenny managed to send contact to her and Sylvia's older sister, Diana, outlining the horrors that she and Sylvia were experiencing, and asking Diana to contact the police. Diana ignored the letter, believing that Jenny was simply displeased with being punished and that she was making up stories so that she could come live with her.
    Shortly after this, Diana came by to visit her sisters, but Baniszewski refused to allow her into the home. Diana then hid nearby the house until she spotted Jenny outside, and then approached her. Jenny told her older sister that she was not allowed to talk to her and then ran away. Concerned, Diana contacted social services, who were informed that Sylvia had been kicked out of the house for being physically unclean and a prostitute, and that Sylvia had since run away. Baniszewski threatened Jenny not to tell the social worker the truth, and Jenny then told the social worker that Sylvia had indeed run away. The social worker returned to her office, where she filed a report stating that no more calls needed to be made to the Baniszewski home.

[edit] Murder

On October 21, Baniszewski instructed John Jr., Coy, and Stephanie to bring Sylvia up from the basement and tie her to a bed. The next morning, Baniszewski made her masturbate with a coke bottle, before carving phrases into her skin with a hot needle. The next day, Baniszewski woke Sylvia, and then dictated a letter to her, intended to look like a runaway letter to her parents.
    After Sylvia finished the letter, Baniszewski began formulating a plan to have John Jr. and Jenny take Sylvia to a nearby garbage dump and leave her there to die. When Sylvia overheard this, she tried to escape, but was stopped.
    On October 24, Baniszewski came into the basement and attempted to bludgeon Sylvia with a chair and paddle, but missed her. Coy Hubbard stepped in and beat Sylvia unconscious with a broomstick. On October 26, Baniszewski told the children she would give Sylvia a bath. Stephanie and Ricky brought Sylvia upstairs and laid her in the tub fully clothed; they took her out shortly thereafter when they realized she was not breathing. Stephanie gave Sylvia CPR, but by this time, Sylvia was already dead.
    Baniszewski told Hobbs to call the police. When they arrived, Baniszewski gave them the letter she'd made Sylvia dictate; in the midst of the commotion, Jenny Likens whispered to one of the police, "Get me out of here and I'll tell you everything." This statement, combined with the police's discovery of Sylvia's body in the basement, prompted the officers to arrest Baniszewski, Paula, Stephanie, John, Hobbs, and Hubbard for murder. Other neighborhood children present at the time - Mike Monroe, Randy Lepper, Duke, and Siscoe - were arrested for "injury to a person."

hoxharding Guest
    [edit] Plot Summary ***********The actual case happened in Indianapolis,Indiana**************

Jack Ketchum wrote a book based on this case. It has been adapted into a movie.

The story is set in 1950's suburban America, told in flashback form by the narrator, David.
    After giving a quick tour of his neighborhood and childhood friends, David introduces the readers to Ruth, a single mother and alcoholic amongst other things. Ruth has, over time, gained the trust of the neighborhood children by allowing them to come freely into her home, play as rough as they wish, and even drink an occasional beer with her.
    Fast forward to the catalyst of the story when Meg and Susan, Ruth's nieces, come to live with her after the death of their parents. All seems well at first: the girls make friends with the other children and David begins to develop feelings for the sweet and innocent Meg.
    However, Ruth's common sense and sanity have been diminishing over time and the burden of having two more children to care for seems to speed up her descent into madness.
    Ruth begins verbally abusing the two girls, then becoming physical, often while many of the other neighborhood children are watching. Then, when David and the girls think things couldn't get any worse, Ruth allows the other kids to abuse them, making them feel that because she is an adult giving them such permission, they cannot be punished for their actions.
    With both Meg (who is severely injured and on the brink of death) and Susan eventually locked up in the bomb shelter in Ruth's basement, David realizes that he must do something before time runs out and he loses the first girl he ever loved.
    However, despite his best attempts, his plan is foiled by Ruth and the children she has under her control. And after one final act of torture, young Meg is finally dead, and the lives of all those involved forever changed.

Some Sylvia Likens notes:

Excellent movie on the topic: "An American Crime" - http://imdb.com/title/tt0802948/

This is one of director John Waters' favorite crimes; for years, he kept a commissioned portrait of Gertrude Baniszewski hanging in his home. She was, to put it mildly, a homely woman & Waters got a kick out of the people who would think along the lines of "Is that his poor mother?"

Picture of Gertrude:

Gertrude served 18 years & was paroled; she assumed an alias (Nadine Van Fossan) and died in 1990.

Crime Library link to the case: http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou.../likens/1.html

The imdb.com link has some good postings on the boards related to "An American Crime". This one in particular re-posts a 20th anniversary article on the case - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0802948/...d/82295902?p=1

If you'll watch this youtube link, at the end, you can see a short piece of footage of Gertrude when she was released from prison in 1985 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=fguJjv_ipZ8

Feminist Kate Millet wrote "The Basement" about this case, which is a semi-true crime, semi-"it coulda happened like this" stream of consciousness type essay.

Another book - "Let's Go Play At the Adams'" by Mendal Johnson - is loosely based on this.

P~
    Last edited by VeuveClicquotNJ; 12-09-2007 at 05:20 PM.

hoxharding Guest
    The author of 'In the Cut'(susannah moore?) included the case in her newest book.
    The adaptation of 'The Girl Next Door' isn't released yet(that I know of) It is supposed to be the one with the most realistic adaptation yet.
    I was in Indianapolis one day when I asked my parents about this crime. My mother grew up in Indianapolis and remembered reading about it in the local paper.

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    The Sylvia Likens case breaks my heart. I read about it on CrimeLibrary years ago and it's stayed with me ever since. What that poor girl went through is just so sad. I hope she's at peace now.

hoxharding Guest
    I found one forum that talked about this. I have no idea if the comments were valid. Someone said something about they worked at the place the boys involved were sent to after they were arrested. They bragged about what they helped do.

tensecondstolove Guest
    That is so fucking sick.

Kathyf Guest
    That is just horrible. I can't believe what some people can do.

Nowereman Guest
    Someone should scold her with water and rub salt into her wounds, everyday until she dies.

hoxharding Guest
    I just rented Jack Ketchum's film 'Girl Next Door' which is based on the case. I also
    just got a magazine that speaks about the film, I suspect it mentions the actual case. I will watch the film and give a mini review after I watch it.

KristinEileen Guest
    Sick, didn't she burn whore into her stomach or something? Or am I running another case into this.
    The whole concept of making someone eat their own feces should be against the law or something...I don't know it's just gross!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Wow! That story just turned my stomach.
    What sick people!

hoxharding Guest
    Yup, they burned the word into her stomach.
    I am watching the film and you wanna talk about a film that is good but so very depressing. The director has made sure to indicate what went on without making it
    as an exploitation. The acting is very real and you are drawn into the story.
    The director evidently spoke to the parents of the actors and the actors to make sure they could handle the parts.
    He leaves actual stuff up to your imagination in most instances.
    I just read the house the girl died in was considered 'haunted' It is now being used as a shelter for battered women.

Jaxxx Guest
    This is just incredible. How can anyone hurt another person, especially a child, 16 yrs old is still a child. Hope that monster who did this is so far in hell that even Manson looks like God to her.

endsleigh03 Guest
    This was one that I was never able to forget. I wish I could.

SistaSara Guest
    Wow....that made the hairs on my arm stand up. May peace be with Sylvia....

hoxharding Guest

blog entry(with interview with woman's son)

http://markgribben.com/?p=316

This goes into more detail into what went on with the kids and the family.

An American Crime/Sylvia Likens

Has anyone seen this movie yet? I just watched it tonight and have only 3 words for it: Brutal, Shocking and Shameful.

It's based on a true story. Here's the wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

endsleigh03 Guest
    Oh cripe! I didn't see the show but I know her story. One of my own personal worsts.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Oh cripe! I didn't see the show but I know her story. One of my own personal worsts.
    It's on DVD. I got it from Netflix.

What a horrifying movie. Not recommended to those sensitive to child abuse!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Here is a link to more extensive info. Really bad.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n.../likens/1.html

I knew the name was familiar. I read a book about this case years ago, called The Basement. Horrific.

Sounds like an interesting cast, but not sure if I want to see it.

I'm going to have to rent that!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Dying Breath Guest
    Movie was worth watching.. has the girl from Juno in it... it is hard to say you enjoyed a movie with so much pain.. but I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying Breath View Post
    .. it is hard to say you enjoyed a movie with so much pain.. but I did.
    Dang!

cubbiecatz Guest
    My God. The things people do to one another.
    It reminds me of a true book I read called A Child Called "It" (boy was abused, forced to eat feces and drink bleach)

Dying Breath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Dang!
    no no.. it was done so well.. I did not enjoy the pain...

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I'm going to have to rent that!

Well hell............now I`m curious........good to have ya back A.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dying Breath View Post
    no no.. it was done so well.. I did not enjoy the pain...
    I was squirming a bit thru some of it. I almost felt the cigarette on the back of my hand too!

I watched it. It was very alarming. How could these kids even think it was okay to do what they did their peer? It pissed me off. And that woman....dispicable.

I've all the "It" books. They were heart breaking.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I had no clue about any of this stuff......I must read up

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Has anyone seen this movie yet? I just watched it tonight and have only 3 words for it: Brutal, Shocking and Shameful.

It's based on a true story. Here's the wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens
    That is one of the most horrific stories I've ever heard. That poor girl. What was wrong with her parents just throwing away their 2 daughters like that! Man oh man, the evils of human nature never ceases to amaze me.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    The true story is even worse than the movie (if you can imagine).

Also, I didn't care for the ending. I think you know what I'm talking about.

endsleigh03 Guest
    No way would I see this movie. Just rereading about her bothered me.

They did a memorial statue in 2001 for her.
    It's pretty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	willard1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	7523  

35. 08-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    How could a 'sane' society ever let that woman out of prison? I mean, she was a monster. How could they let her go?

The facts about her were already hard enough; the movie might make it even harder. Still, I wish to see it one day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

cachluv Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    ...What was wrong with her parents just throwing away their 2 daughters like that! Man oh man, the evils of human nature never ceases to amaze me...
    ---My mother was one of 17 kids living in pallor in Kentucky during the Depression. My grandfather "lost" my mother in a card game so she had to go live with this old guy who drank, beat her, and eventually just disappeared. She had to go back to live with the family, for which she was made to feel badly about. She was 12 years old.

I fantasize sometimes that my mother was the reason behind the old drunk guy's disappearing. I'd like to think that if he was that mean and abusive that she ended it the permanent way. Probably didn't happen that way but in my head it truly did.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    ---My mother was one of 17 kids living in pallor in Kentucky during the Depression. My grandfather "lost" my mother in a card game so she had to go live with this old guy who drank, beat her, and eventually just disappeared. She had to go back to live with the family, for which she was made to feel badly about. She was 12 years old.

I fantasize sometimes that my mother was the reason behind the old drunk guy's disappearing. I'd like to think that if he was that mean and abusive that she ended it the permanent way. Probably didn't happen that way but in my head it truly did.
    I also had some older relatives who were boarded out back then.
    (I hope she made him disappear too )

endsleigh03 Guest
    There was talk about making the home where all that happened to Sylvia a shelter for abused women, but I don't know if it ever happened.

I hope it did, that seems right.

cachluv Guest
    I meant living in squallor Pre-coffee, it was

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post

12 years old !!!!!!!.......I`m stunned.......

Lita Guest
    I read up on the case. I'll never understand how people can be so cruel to another human being. Poor Sylvia.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    I just watched the film "An American Crime" last night. And though some of the story was changed, some of the things in it didn't happen at all, and one scene in particular felt like it didn't even really belong I thought it was well done.

Even if it's not entirely the true story being shown, Watching films about true life cases at least gets me interested enough to look into the real thing. And I learned a lot more about this case after watching it.

In the photo posted above of Gertrude Baniszewski, she has a blackened eye. She actually obtained that injury while attempting to beat Sylvia and hitting herself in the face instead.

When Baniszewski sat Sylvia down to write the letter that she hoped would keep her in the clear of getting in trouble, Sylvia originally started the letter out "Dear Mom and Dad", Baniszewski then stopped her and made her change it to "Dear Mr. and Mrs. Likens".

The house that all of this horrible abuse took place in, according to the Crime Library link, will be turned into a shelter for abused women.

Intriguing, and heartbreaking case.

Where did you get the movie? I been wanting to see it for awhile.

lab_rat Guest
    This is sooo horrific!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Where did you get the movie? I been wanting to see it for awhile.
    An American Crime should definitely be available at Blockbuster - it is in the one I work at.

I've yet to see The Girl Next Door, but I will look into it and see if we carry it at work, as well.

"An American Crime"

Have any of you guys watched the movie "An American Crime" I watched it on you tube the other day. I just couldn't believe what that poor girl went through, and nobody did nothing about it. It is based on the Sylvia Likens case.
    It's All Gravy Baby [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jazbabee Guest
    Saw it.....so very sick that there are folks with that kind of demented mindset out there

bump

hoxharding Guest
    There is also the film 'The Girl Next Door' based on the fictionalized version of Sylvia Likens orderal/death.
    Also, 'House of Evil' written by John Dean which features photos.