Thread: Charlie Chan

poppie Guest

Charlie Chan

Anyone else on the Forum a Charlie Chan fan? Warner Orland and Sidney Toler both portrayed Charlie at one time. I loved the old Charlie Chan movies and was disappointed that the Asian community's complaints have all but banned TV from airing those movies. Do not flame me- I did not say complaints were not warranted in some cases. With Hollywood remaking so many movies, I would like to see Charlie Chan movies again with an all Chinese cast.

Guest Guest
    I like the CC films, but only Oland and Toler, and I am a far bigger fan of Toler's. I don't understand why there would be an outcry against CC, he was a Chinese guy who was smarter than all the white folks. Seems like a big plus.

Yeah, he was played by a white actor but still.

Actually three actors portrayed [SIZE=3]CHARLIE CHAN[/SIZE] during the series' original heyday: WARNER OLAND, SIDNEY TOLER, and finally ROLAND WINTERS. None had Asian ancestry.

One of my grandfather's boyhood friends was a guy named TOM BECK. BECK was featured in four (of the) CHARLIE CHAN films usually playing the matinee idol type of role; his character(s) being the good handsome young man who happily ends up with whoever was playing the pretty well intentioned young igenue in the movie. He is buried right next to the graves of my great great great great grandparents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tom Beck  II.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	249  

Jaxxx Guest
    Loved all CC movies, I have most of them, and on snowy nights, its popcorn and CC.

disco Guest
    I love charlie chan movies. Yall know that the guy on kung fu, the blind master - snatch the pebble from my hand, was the son in the cc movies. I can kinda understand why the asian people may not like it, as when I see stepnfetchin in cc movies, steppins pretty funny but we probably can do without it. The new cc movies should star jackie chan that would be great.

Once in awhile the Turner Classic Movie channel will play
    CC movies.