Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Challenger and Other Space Tragedies

Alycat32 Guest
    You know I was never much for believing the trash mags, but with how accurate Perez and Tmz are the majority of the time ( every now and then they are wrong) I have to wonder if some of the celebrity shit is true. I don't read them but I used to read the ones my grandmother did like enquirer and what not. They are still pure trash as is Perez and Tmz, but now that more often than not rumors seem to end up being true.

obviously weekly world news is a wack job but those are fun to read

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Just released video. Thought to be the only amateur footage of the explosion. http://www.country925.com/cc-common/...rticle=9877398
    That bird at :38 second mark fruck me the hell out the first time I watched it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    That bird at :38 second mark fruck me the hell out the first time I watched it.
    I missed the bird, but I could hear a woman say just after the explosion "Isn't that beautiful!" and it was like a minute later they came across the loud speaker saying the vehicle had exploded. That's just creepy...

Alycat32 Guest
    Omg after reading your post I watched and the bird startled me as well and I laughed because I was still scared despite being prepared for it

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat32 View Post
    So did I read that right? Someone told a previous poster that the control room heard or saw more than any online report said? I might have read that wrong but it sounded like she meant there was more after the "uh oh" and that it didnt just go to dead air
    Yes there has been this tossed around. http://rickadams.org/chall/transcript.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I missed the bird, but I could hear a woman say just after the explosion "Isn't that beautiful!" and it was like a minute later they came across the loud speaker saying the vehicle had exploded. That's just creepy...
    yeah she was driving me crazy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alycat32 Guest
    Yes there has been this tossed around. http://rickadams.org/chall/transcript.html
    thanks! I had read that before years ago and that is exactly what I figured the lady might have been eluding to, but wasnt sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    Ok, I know this is really morbid, but that's why we're all here right? Anywhoo, I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to the crews...i.e. did their bodies disentegrate? Were the bodies recoverd and if so, what condition would they be in...i.e. would it look like car accident? (i'm sure it would look worse but just using that as an example.)
    Were there or are there any pics that show them?
    Even if they came back down to earth they would be dust.....Especially from the Challenger...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This has been shown to be a hoax.

1. Note: The top of the page states that "the authenticity can not be verified."
    2. Near the top of the page they refer to Judith Resnick as "Resnick." They would have used their NASA nicknames.
    Example: William Ofelein was "BillyO." NASA is a fratenity regarding brotherhood. They work together, they play
    together. They are a famly. It's part of the culture of NASA.
    3. They would have been working the problem. There's none of that on the transcript.
    4. They never said the Lord's Prayer, nor the 23rd Psalm.
    5. It has been speculated that the forces of the breakup and the immediate loss of oxygen rendered the crew
    unconscious. It broke up at around 70,000ft twice the altitude max for the requirement of supplemental
    oxygen. However, three EPAKs were activated. It is not known if anyone was conscious the moment the crew capsule hit the water.
    6. Emergency oxygen would be referred to as "EPAK."
    7. Robert Hotz, if he worked on the Presidential Commission, would not openly discuss the commission.
    8. This transcript came from the now defunct Weekly World News. (Major clue)

That last one should make one pause.

This has been discussed on Snopes as well. Nice piece of fantasy though.

This just isn't true.
    Last edited by Aviatrix; 03-17-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added more information
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Alycat32 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    This has been shown to be a hoax.

1. Note: The top of the page states that "the authenticity can not be verified."
    2. Near the top of the page they refer to Judith Resnick as "Resnick." They would have used their NASA nicknames.
    Example: William Ofelein was "BillyO." NASA is a fratenity regarding brotherhood. They work together, they play
    together. They are a famly. It's part of the culture of NASA.
    3. They would have been working the problem. There's none of that on the transcript.
    4. They never said the Lord's Prayer, nor the 23rd Psalm.
    5. It has been speculated that the forces of the breakup and the immediate loss of oxygen rendered the crew
    unconscious. It broke up at around 70,000ft twice the altitude max for the requirement of supplemental
    oxygen. However, three EPAKs were activated. It is not known if anyone was conscious the moment the crew capsule hit the water.
    6. Emergency oxygen would be referred to as "EPAK."
    7. Robert Hotz, if he worked on the Presidential Commission, would not openly discuss the commission.
    8. This transcript came from the now defunct Weekly World News. (Major clue)

That last one should make one pause.

This has been discussed on Snopes as well. Nice piece of fantasy though.

This just isn't true.

I had read it was a hoax as well, and that makes me really curious what the nasa lady was talking about from the poster who said the lady will never forget what she heard, or something like that. It's been awhile since I read this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

luckyinlove Guest
    30 years!

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Thanks for noting that luckyinlove. It's been 30 years since that tragic day. Seems like yesterday to me. I hope the crew members of STS-51L somehow know that they are not forgotten and that their families and loved ones have set up so many things to honor their legacy. Education and the exploration of space, math and science. And mostly, to push yourself to the limits of your potential.
    Last edited by Timeo Vitae; 01-28-2016 at 09:31 AM.

I can't believe it's been 30 years. I was a senior in high school sitting in American Pop Music class when the band teacher came in from next door and had us turn on the radio to hear what happened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was thirty, working for Rockwell International, Missile Systems Division, Duluth, Georgia. A division of Rockwell in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania built the orbiter. When I got to work that night people were concerned about where Pittsburgh was also responsible for building the other parts of the system, and were told that they just built the shuttle.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I was a junior in high school and was picking up a friend to head on out to school. It was finals week so we started later than usual and I remember walking into his living room and seeing the explosion on the TV. Amazing how events like this burn the moment into your memory.

I was in the final year at University of Toronto Business School - The Business Org Professor came into the class and told everyone. Never will forget it.

I wasn't even around! Yet I have strangely always been drawn to this particular tragedy, I don't know what it is that grabs me.
    Such a sad story!

PurrPurr Guest
    I'd been living in my first apartment for little over nine months and had the day off work. I'd planned to spend the morning kicked back with a mug of coffee and switched on the TV just as the explosion happened. This blood-curdling scream came out of my mouth and my next door neighbors almost called the cops. They wanted to know if something was wrong...and I could only point at the TV screen and say "The Challenger just exploded..."

navallint Guest
    I was 8 months pregnant with my son. The ex and I had ordered pizza, the twins were coloring on a rug at our feet as we watched. We didn't eat, just stunned.

Spliff Guest
    I was in 3rd Grade at school, they didn't let us watch it live in Mrs. Archie's class....... for some reason idk, other classes I think did watch.

The Bears just won the Superbowl so there was Bears stuff everywhere, lived in the suburbs of Chicago.

Was on my way to lunch, in line, haha. We had to line up. Saw some teachers hugging and crying a bit in the hall. Asked why, nobody said though, and forgot about it.

I didn't know what even happened until I got off the bus and walked home. I think my Mom had it on CNN. Also remember watching the Reagan speech and the very special episode of Punky Brewster! Viewer discretion advised. It pretty much freaked me out.

A memorial service today at Cape Canaveral

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-memorial.html

Spliff Guest
    This, is pretty crazy though... http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2015...r-still-alive/

I'm no tinfoil hatter, but it's another intriguing conspiracy that I don't buy.

I was in kindergarten. Dad was really into the space program, so he taped all the launches. I remember our whole family watching the coverage. I can't believe it's been so long.

Did anyone else watch the NatGeo special and tear up? I totally did. The fact that they were alive and KNEW what was happening is horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Did anyone else watch the NatGeo special and tear up? I totally did. The fact that they were alive and KNEW what was happening is horrifying.
    I watched it. It's still horrifying to me to even watch the explosion and see the crew cabin descend from the air and hit the water.

And there's no way that they survived the impact in into the water - they were going at a speed of over 200 MPH when the cabin slammed into the ocean.

My question is this: When a shuttle launched, could the people in the control room see the launches?? The reason I ask is because when Challenger exploded, the first thing I heard Hugh Harris say was, "Obviously, a major malfunction..." and that nonchalant response really bothered me (it still does when viewing the accident and knowing what he's going to say).
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I watched it. It's still horrifying to me to even watch the explosion and see the crew cabin descend from the air and hit the water.

And there's no way that they survived the impact in into the water - they were going at a speed of over 200 MPH when the cabin slammed into the ocean.

My question is this: When a shuttle launched, could the people in the control room see the launches?? The reason I ask is because when Challenger exploded, the first thing I heard Hugh Harris say was, "Obviously, a major malfunction..." and that nonchalant response really bothered me (it still does when viewing the accident and knowing what he's going to say).
    This is an excellent article that answers that question.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...nger-disaster/

A Major Malfunction - Mission control managed to stay calm I guess... or else they must have been very aware that the entire world was listening. There was a moment of hope when we saw something parachuting from the explosion, but it turned out to be one of the rockets. Even if the crew cabin had parachuted down, the concussion from the explosion would have killed them. Still it would have been nice to have found their bodies intact. There is a show called 'Secret Space Escapes', which has some really great stories about how Space Station astronauts handled various emergencies.
    Last edited by Hidium; 02-11-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post

Wow! That was interesting to read. Thanks!
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post

Very informative. Thanks for sharing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Challenger crew likely survived explosion before tragic plunge to earth

https://nypost.com/2021/06/19/challe...fatal-plummet/

31. 07-26-2021, 09:21 PM
    Reason
    keep it pg-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Torious View Post
    I wasn't even around! Yet I have strangely always been drawn to this particular tragedy, I don't know what it is that grabs me.
    Such a sad story!
    Very True. I was at my Moms house when it happened.(still think about them
    all the time)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I was in 7th grade English Class and the teacher brought the t.v. in to watch the take off on t.v., she turned it on we were sitting there doing the count down and watched it take off, we saw the explosion and the teacher quickly turned it off, we didn't know what happened, then moments later the principal came on the intercom and said I have some bad news, At 11:39 Eastern Standard Time, The Space Shuttle Challenger exploded..

I didn't see it explode. I worked at night for a federal defense plant and had just gotten up. Flipped on the TV and saw the replay. Oc course it was the talk at work since Rockwell International outta Cali, I believe, built the shuttle back in those days. We were really glad that the company we worked for wasn't responsible for what happened. (I worked for the missile systems division in over here in Georgia.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD