Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groucho Marx

Jack Raines Guest

Groucho Marx

I did a search and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this comic legend, (aside from one comparing him to Bill Cosby).

The 31st anniversary of his death just passed a few days ago.

Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx (October 2, 1890August 19, 1977), was an American comedian and film star. He is famed as a master of wit. He made fifteen feature films with his siblings, the Marx Brothers, and also had a successful solo career, most notably as the host of the radio and television game show You Bet Your Life.[1] He had a distinctive image, which included a heavy greasepaint moustache and eyebrows and glasses.

Hollywood

Groucho Marx made a total of 26 movies; of them, fifteen were with his brothers Chico and Harpo.[2] Marx developed a routine as a wise-cracking hustler with a distinctive chicken-walking lope, an exaggerated greasepaint moustache and eyebrows, and an ever-present cigar, improvising insults to stuffy dowagers (often played by Margaret Dumont) and anyone else who stood in his way. As the Marx Brothers, his brothers and he starred in a series of extraordinarily popular stage shows and movies.
    Their first movie was a silent film that was never released.[2] As one of the world's most famous comedy teams, they were recognizable. The team made some of their Vaudeville hits into movies, including The Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers.[2] Other successful films were Horse Feathers, Duck Soup, and A Night at the Opera.[2]
    Marx also worked as a radio comedian and show host. One of his earliest stints was in a short-lived series in 1932 entitled Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel, co-starring Chico, who was the only one of his brothers also willing to appear on the show. Most of the scripts and discs were subsequently destroyed, turning up only in 1988 in the Library of Congress.
    In 1947, Marx was chosen to host a radio quiz program entitled You Bet Your Life broadcast by ABC and then CBS, before moving over to NBC television in 1950. Filmed before a live audience, the television show consisted of Marx interviewing the contestants and ad libbing jokes, before playing a brief quiz. The show was responsible for the phrases "Say the secret woid [word] and divide $100" (that is, each contestant would get $50); and "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" or "What color is the White House?" (asked when Marx felt sorry for a contestant who had not won anything). It ran for eleven years on television.
    One quip from Marx concerned his response to Sam Wood, the director of the classic film A Night at the Opera. Wood was furious with the Marx Brothers' ad-libs and antics on the set and yelled to all in disgust that he "cannot make actors out of clay." Without missing a beat, Groucho responded, "Nor can you make a director out of Wood."
    A widely reported, but likely apocryphal, ad-lib is reportedly a response to a contestant who had over a dozen children. In response to Marx asking why they had so many children, the contestant is said to have replied either "I love children." or "I love my husband.", to which Marx responded, "I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while." Hector Arce inserted the claim into Marx's memoir The Secret Word Is Groucho but Marx himself denied that it ever happened.[3]
    Throughout his career he introduced a number of memorable songs in films, including "Hooray for Captain Spaulding", "Whatever It Is, I'm Against It", "Hello, I Must Be Going", "Everyone Says I Love You" and "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Frank Sinatra, who once quipped that the only thing he could do better than Marx was sing, made a film with Marx and Jane Russell in 1951 entitled Double Dynamite.

Death

Marx's children, particularly his son Arthur, felt strongly that Fleming was pushing his weak father beyond his physical and mental limits. Writer Mark Evanier concurs with this.[6][7] Marx was hospitalized for pneumonia on June 22, 1977 and died on August 19, 1977 at Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. [1]
    He was cremated, and the ashes were interred in the Eden Memorial Park Cemetery in Mission Hills, Los Angeles, California. Aged 86 at death, Groucho had the longest lifespan of all the Marx Brothers and was survived only by younger brother Zeppo, who outlived him by two years, dying in 1979 at age 78. Groucho's death only received passing attention, due to the fact that it occurred three days after that of Elvis Presley. In an interview, he jokingly suggested his epitaph read "Excuse me, I can't stand up", but his mausoleum marker bears only his stage name, a Star of David, and the years of his birth and death.[8]
    Last edited by Jack Raines; 08-21-2008 at 04:36 PM.

2. 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
    Reason
    accidental double post

I didn't know all of that about his career, thanks for that.

Quite a guy; I'm glad he lived to a ripe old age, unlike many of today's stars.

I was stripping wallpaper last week and pulled out a badly-applied plaster patch that was plugging up a hole in the wall. It was backed by some crumpled up newspaper that included an advertisement for an upcoming Marx Brothers performance at some area theater. It was dated 1926. I LOVE finding stuff like that.
    Last edited by TheNotherOne; 08-21-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Sampiro Guest
    There's a huge debate about the role of Erin Fleming in his last years. Some say she was guilty of elder abuse and profiteered mercilessly off a lonely old man, other's that she was what kept him going by refusing to let him stagnate and feel sorry for himself, and some say the truth was some of one and some of the other. There were friends and neighbors, some of them celebrities, who testified both for and against her.

What was funny though: I was watching an interview with Bud Cort (the actor bka Harold from HAROLD & MAUDE or Brewster McCloud) who was once a friend of Erin's and who actually lived with her and Groucho during the early and mid 1970s. On the interview he was referring to Groucho as the grandpa he never had and to how close they were and how it was like studying at the feet of the Aristotle of comedy, etc.. They were exceptionally close he said and were like family, and Groucho was upset when Cort decided to move out.

After seeing the interview I picked up a bio of Groucho in the book store and read part of the court transcripts. In one of them Groucho's son-in-law, testifying against Erin Fleming, mentioned that Groucho had called him for help in getting rid of "unwanted house guest" Bud Cort, who he only put up with because Erin liked him but now saw him as a freeloader and wanted him gone.

There was practically no witness to the Cort-Marx relationship other than Fleming as Groucho was largely estranged from his family, and there was no record of the alleged conversation with his son-in-law, so I don't know which was right: if Groucho saw Bud Cort as a surrogate grandson (he had grandsons but wasn't close to them) or if he was "unwanted houseguest".

Erin lost the battles in court, was denied the use of Groucho's likeness he had left her and was held accountable for large damages to the estate (though she was essentially a pauper so there was no hope of recovery). The rest of her life was spent with bouts in mental hospitals and homelessness. She died in 2003 at the age of 62.

I understand Groucho and his brothers' mother, Minnie, was a horror of a stage mom who could have taught Mama Rose a thing or three.

My favorite Groucho song: Lydia the Tattooed Lady

Frank Ferrante is a professional Groucho impersonator who tours with the show AN EVENING WITH GROUCHO MARX. The bits I've seen of it are pretty good and there are many on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYXIY...eature=related
    It neither whitewashes nor villifies Groucho. Gabe Kaplan of WELCOME BACK KOTTER fame used to do the same show on a tour before he left show biz for professional poker playing.

===============

In his personal life, Groucho wasn't quite as bad as Charlie Chaplin but he did like his ladies a bit on the young side. He married his first wife when he was 29 and she was 19, his second when he was 54 and she was 24, and his third when he was 63 and his wife was 20. All of his wives developed drinking problems.

One of my favorite of the million stories about Groucho is the time he sought membership to a ritzy beach club for his family. Told flat out that the club didn't allow Jews he asked "Well my son is only half Jewish. Can he go into the water up to his waist?"

His PLAYBOY interview was very good and surprisingly frank. He mentions things like the VD he got from prostitutes as a young man and is even serious a few times, such as in comments about the anti Semitism he endured. He also said one of the happiest moments of his life was dancing on the site of the Bunker in Berlin where Hitler died.
    Last edited by Sampiro; 08-21-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Doug81506 Guest
    For the trivia fans: Groucho's last new car purchase was a 1973 black Cadillac Sedan deVille with red leather interior from Hillcrest Motor Company in Beverly Hills. I read once where Groucho and Erin had a fight over a Cadillac that she wanted him to get rid of and he loved. I bet this was the car they fought over. BTW, the car still exists and was for sale not long ago on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    In his personal life, Groucho wasn't quite as bad as Charlie Chaplin but he did like his ladies a bit on the young side. He married his first wife when he was 29 and she was 19, his second when he was 54 and she was 24, and his third when he was 63 and his wife was 20. All of his wives developed drinking problems.
    Not as bad as Chaplin? Sounds worse.

jesster64 Guest
    Alice Cooper, in his book Golf Monster, tells how he was a great friend of Grouchos. groucho loved his act and would often call him late at night. Cooper would come over and he would keep groucho company untill Groucho fell asleep. By the way, coopers book was one of the most interesting I've ever read, not at all what you would expect.

Cathy J. Guest
    Not long before he died, Groucho visited the set of Welcome Back Kotter. Someone had a camera and took pics of Groucho ( in a wheel chair ) with the other actors of the show like Gabe Kaplan and John Travolta.

Actually there were plans to have Groucho doing a cameo on Kotter but due to his health, never happened. Nor were those pics taken of Groucho on the set of Kotter, I don't think they were ever shown to the public.

jeca Guest
    I used to watch his movies and tv show with my grandma when I was little. Those are some of my favorite memories. I used to laugh like an idiot. LOL

I believe Erin Fleming died from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

Sounds a very interesting chap, any recommendations on a book about him. Was Erin his last wife? How come he was estranged from his family? Sorry to ask questions, need a good book

Erin was never married to Groucho

I have three favorite books.
    Groucho and Me
    The Groucho Letters
    Raised Eyebrows

The last one was written by a man who was working in Groucho's house during the Erin Fleming years.

Groucho's son Arthur did not get along with Erin Fleming. Hence the estrangement.

TheMysterian Guest
    Groucho and his brothers were way ahead of their time,the things they got away with while making those movies couldn't happen today,they were funny then and they are funny now. God rest their souls

"haillllllll haillllll freedonia, land of the braaaave and freeeeee"
    pull the string!

Morto Guest
    Absolutely one of my favorites I have most of the Marx brothers movies!!

Animal Crackers and a Night at the Opera are two movies I can watch again and again. I love the Marx Brothers.

Dylgem22 Guest
    I LOVE "Duck Soup" .. that is my favorite Marx Brothers movie .. I grew up watching these movies thru my dad .. my sisters and I used to say my dad looked like Groucho when we were kids ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    I LOVE "Duck Soup" .. that is my favorite Marx Brothers movie .. I grew up watching these movies thru my dad .. my sisters and I used to say my dad looked like Groucho when we were kids ...
    Another great movie! I used to dress up like Groucho for Halloween. Sad, I know...

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    Another great movie! I used to dress up like Groucho for Halloween. Sad, I know...

Pictures!! LOL JK!!! My dad actually has this ceramic statue of Groucho .. its about 2' tall, or so, and he has one of WC Fields too .. but I always liked Chico Marx the best .. I think my dad also has a collection of "You Bet Your Life" on DVD somewhere .. I bought him a 5 DVD set of Marx Brothers movies one Christmas too ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dylgem22 View Post
    Pictures!! LOL JK!!! My dad actually has this ceramic statue of Groucho .. its about 2' tall, or so, and he has one of WC Fields too .. but I always liked Chico Marx the best .. I think my dad also has a collection of "You Bet Your Life" on DVD somewhere .. I bought him a 5 DVD set of Marx Brothers movies one Christmas too ..
    The pictures are locked away forever! I would be mortified to post them!

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    The pictures are locked away forever! I would be mortified to post them!

Hahahaha .. I have tons like that too!! No worries!!

ajlposh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxette View Post
    Erin was never married to Groucho

I have three favorite books.
    Groucho and Me
    The Groucho Letters
    Raised Eyebrows

The last one was written by a man who was working in Groucho's house during the Erin Fleming years.

Groucho's son Arthur did not get along with Erin Fleming. Hence the estrangement.
    You bet they didn't get along. In Groucho's last years, she would do whatever it took so that Arthur would not see Groucho alone.

Luffy66 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jesster64 View Post
    Alice Cooper, in his book Golf Monster, tells how he was a great friend of Grouchos. groucho loved his act and would often call him late at night. Cooper would come over and he would keep groucho company untill Groucho fell asleep. By the way, coopers book was one of the most interesting I've ever read, not at all what you would expect.
    When they renovated (Replaced) the HOLLYWOOD sign in 1978, Alice Cooper donated 27,777.00 for the last "O", in memory of Groucho Marx

Noreen Guest
    God, he was great! Remember when every New Years Eve would be a Marx Bros. movie marathon? That was such a treat! They don't do that anymore

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    Was Erin his last wife? How come he was estranged from his family? Sorry to ask questions, need a good book
    He never married Erin Fleming but they lived together. She was more than 50 years younger than he was and she basically took over his life. There's a wiki article on her here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Fleming (and she did die of a gunshot suicide as somebody mentioned below- didn't know that before).

His relationship with the oldest two children became strained (just like a lot of "regular people") after his divorce from their mother and as he worked enormous hours and began dating/marrying other women, etc., they moved apart over the years. There's a story- possibly apocryphal- that he was at a club when he was in his 60s and a little boy kept annoying him until Groucho said "Little boy is your father here?"
    The kid said "No, but my grandpa is, but he's a weird old man."
    "Well who's your grandpa?"
    "You are." (And, per the story- repeated in a biography but that doesn't mean it happened- it was indeed one of his grandchildren who he didn't recognize.)

Erin was the final "distance maker" between him and his oldest two kids. I think he was closer to his third child (born when he was in his 50s and a lot less active career wise and had more time for fatherhood.

He was far from broke but not one of the huge fortunes like Bob Hope or Bing Crosby. Divorces, bad investments, high living and the like had all taken a toll and while he was very comfortable he couldn't afford to waste large chunks of change, so it wasn't just greed when the family became very concerned over Erin and her friends sponging off of him; they were legitimately worried that she'd leave him penniless (and I'm sure concern for their inheritance was in there somewhere also) and so in his last few years they sued to get control of his finances. A family friend and later one of his nephews were made his conservators. When he died it got really nasty as the estate sued Erin accusing her of golddigging (which certainly to a degree she did) and her counter stating that if she had wanted his money she'd have married him (she claims he proposed several times- if he did then the more fool she for declining) and all kinds of nasty allegations flew at and from both sides, but the family ultimately won.

There's a great People Magazine article from 1977 available http://www.marxoutofprint.org.uk/people77/people77.htm
    Last edited by Sampiro; 08-22-2008 at 12:40 PM.

soonerpimp Guest
    Wow! I thought that I had all of their movies exept "go west" untill
    I found this on amazon

Love, Love, Love the Marx Bros.!

Luffy66 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerpimp View Post
    Wow! I thought that I had all of their movies exept "go west" untill
    I found this on amazon

Love, Love, Love the Marx Bros.!
    That movie has the famous line:

MM: Hold me Closer...Closer
    GM: If I were any closer I would be behind you!

I'm a big Groucho-Marx Brothers fan. I have an old record album
    of Groucho when he was the host of You bet your life.
    According to writer Kenneth Anger Captain Spalding was the
    name of a Hollywood drug dealer at the time.

Shadowcatcher Guest
    Do you know when he was a teenager he took
    a job running a four-horse wagon team from
    Gold Hill to Cripple Creek Colorado? He'd never
    even sat on a horse before, but jumped in and
    slapped the reins and took off down the hill.
    After a few miles the horses realized they were
    being led by a greenhorn and just quit on him.
    So here he was, a New York city boy, stuck on a
    steep, rocky, narrow trail and he tried everything
    to get them to move. No luck. The wagon boss
    came looking for him and he was standing in front
    of the animals, telling them jokes.

And once in the mid-seventies he was brought
    in a wheelchair onto a stage at a local college for
    an award and a trapdoor on the stage opened
    up and over 300 students all dressed as Groucho
    poured out. He later said it was one of the best
    moments of his life...

Sampiro Guest
    One of my favorite lines about the Marx Brothers was from a screenwriter who was watching them during filming and said "They must all be sick today. I think that last line was actually in the script."

Groucho and Harpo both said in interviews that the reason Margaret Dumont was so wonderful was that she wasn't acting: she really was a rich matron and she really didn't have an idea what the jokes were. He also said she was a completely nice person.
    Last edited by Sampiro; 08-22-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Doug81506 Guest
    one thing that has always amazed me about the Marx brothers was their great, refined taste in architecture. they had some beautiful homes over the years.

33. 08-22-2008, 03:29 PM

John Charles Daly let Groucho have the run of What's My Line? when he was on the show.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 08-22-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: which was about as large a compliment as possible on that show.

Sampiro Guest
    Phyllis Diller's big break came from a series of appearances on YOU BET YOUR LIFE. She was a struggling comedienne and the sole breadwinner for her husband and five kids, and it got her bookings and upped her price which ultimately made her a star. (She wrote a great autobio- LIKE A LAMPSHADE IN A WHOREHOUSE- incidentally.)

Groucho's quip about elephant's teeth being hard to pull "except in Alabama, where the tusks-ah-loosah" is the reason the U. of Alabama's "Crimson Tide" football team has the elephant for a mascot. (The U. of Alabama is located in the city of Tuscaloosa [which means "black warrior" if you were wondering].)

At the height of his fame he could walk down a street unnoticed. His trademark was the big round glasses, greasepaint moustache, baggy suit and bushy eyebrows, all of which he could take off. When he did and put on street clothes he looked like a middle aged Jewish accountant and nobody noticed him- not even those waiting to get his autograph at theater doors.
    Last edited by Sampiro; 08-22-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Groucho and Harpo both said in interviews that the reason Margaret Dumont was so wonderful was that she wasn't acting: she really was a rich matron and she really didn't have an idea what the jokes were. He also said she was a completely nice person.

I had read this also and it definitely makes their movies more enjoyable to watch, knowing that, because she always looks so confused !! Especially in "Duck Soup" .. there are a lot of lines in that movie where she just doesn't know what to say, or acts annoyed!! Ha ha ..

Talking

Phyllis Diller's big break came from a series of appearances on YOU BET YOUR LIFE. She was a struggling comedienne and the sole breadwinner for her husband and five kids, and it got her bookings and upped her price which ultimately made her a star. (She wrote a great autobio- LIKE A LAMPSHADE IN A WHOREHOUSE- incidentally.)

Groucho's quip about elephant's teeth being hard to pull "except in Alabama, where the tusks-ah-loosah" is the reason the U. of Alabama's "Crimson Tide" football team has the elephant for a mascot. (The U. of Alabama is located in the city of Tuscaloosa [which means "black warrior" if you were wondering].)

At the height of his fame he could walk down a street unnoticed. His trademark was the big round glasses, greasepaint moustache, baggy suit and bushy eyebrows, all of which he could take off. When he did and put on street clothes he looked like a middle aged Jewish accountant and nobody noticed him- not even those waiting to get his autograph at theater doors.
    WOW the difference a moustache and a pair of glasses makes. Michael Jackson could learn a thing or two about disguses from him!

If you can find Steve Stoliar's book on his life with Groucho, it's worth a read. Erin Fleming was a nut case. I bought it directly from him and he autographed it for me.

jesster64 Guest
    George Burns in one of his books writes about groucho. He says groucho asked him one day who he thought was the funniest comedian of all time. Burns replied he thought it was charlie chaplin. burns said groucho replied, in all seriousness ,that he thought himself the funniest comedian, to which burns replied, well then I must be the funniest comedian because I'm funnier than you. Seems like grouch and burns didn't get along so well.

Bidmor Guest
    I am a huge Groucho fan and thanks for this thread. Here are some pearls from Groucho, some not from films:

Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.

Send two dozen roses to Room 424 and put 'Emily, I love you' on the back of the bill.

A man is as young as the woman he feels.

Anyone who says he can see through women is missing a lot

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.

We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. . . But we're going back next week.

(and his most famous, from "Animal Crackers")
    Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I'll never know.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 08-27-2008 at 03:24 PM.

From what I've read, when Groucho was up in years Erin and Groucho's son Arthur (named after Harpo) were fighting over who would control his estate Groucho agreed to let his grandson be the executor.

Groucho's children loved going to Uncle Harpo's house. It was warm and friendly.

When his last wife left him, he was devastated and didn't understand why. She said in an interview after that if he had said "I love you" just once I would have stayed.

Thats quite sad

Luffy66 Guest

More Quotes

"I would like to stay, but that would keep me from leaving"

and my favorite is my sig.

BuelahWitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jesster64 View Post
    George Burns in one of his books writes about groucho. He says groucho asked him one day who he thought was the funniest comedian of all time. Burns replied he thought it was charlie chaplin. burns said groucho replied, in all seriousness ,that he thought himself the funniest comedian, to which burns replied, well then I must be the funniest comedian because I'm funnier than you. Seems like grouch and burns didn't get along so well.
    Apparently both Burns and Groucho's brother Zeppo testified in favor of Erin during the trial. Burns felt she was entitled to the settlement because Groucho was not an easy person to live with.

ajlposh Guest
    Yea, Groucho and George Burns were good friends, even though they didn't get along at times. I own a rather amusing Bob Hope special from 1976. Groucho (in his last appearance) and George Burns do a rather amusing bit.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I think it is soooo cool that he was friends with Alice Cooper...That just shows how awsome he was...I LOVE Groucho...He was soooo far ahead of his time...I could just imagine what he would be like today...No that would've been a hoot to see...

chico maex

It was very instrumental that in Grougho's life that he was not the favorite.

Chico was technically the second born, as an older brother Manfred had died in infancy??and Minnie doted on Chico, the next child, and Groucho became jealous of that affection.

Chico was very instremental with getting the brothers invovled with other venues after Vaudeville closed.

With vaudeville closed to them, there was only one legitimate venue left to them -- Broadway, thanks to a contact that Chico made during a card game.
    The Marx Brothers opened a new stage show, "I'll Say She Is," and after 18 months of testing and fine-tuning they opened in New York to great reviews, and they were launched into fame and fortune. The next several years saw Groucho and his brothers working on a series of Broadway shows ("The Cocoanuts" in 1925, "Animal Crackers" in 1928), and hobnobbing with the luminaries of New York City.

Rufus T. Firefly and Mrs. Teasdale....

"Hail Hail Freedonia land of the brave and free" when the clock on the wall strikes ten! his excellency is due to take his station, starting his new administration!
    pull the string!

Bidmor Guest
    I purchased a dvd box set of old tv shows...a couple of episodes of each including the 1950's Dragnet, The Saint, Burke's Law, and You Bet Your Life. Groucho caused one belly laugh after another.

The premise of the show was that a couple of contestants would come out and chat with Groucho then answer a few simple question. The quiz was just an excuse for Groucho to do his thing. One that stands out in particular is his chatting with one particular who was a bank clerk. As best as I recall the conversation went like this:

Groucho: So tell me, wouldn't it be easy to take a little money if you're a teller?
    contestant: Oh I don't think so with all the guards around
    Groucho: You mean to tell me that if a bank teller wanted to grab some money, walk out of the bank, and not get away with it?
    contestant: Oh I suppose someone could stuff some bills in his lunch sack, leave for his lunch hour and not come back. He might get away with it for a few hours but eventually he'd be discovered and caught.
    Groucho: Yes but by then he would have had his lunch.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Bid,

I absolutely loved that show. Groucho was the master at innuendo.

Here are some more standout lines from that show.

Groucho: How many children do you have?
    Female Contestant: I have 11 children, Groucho.
    Groucho: 11 children?!? Why do you have so many children?
    Female Contestant: Well, I love my husband very much.
    Groucho: Hey, I enjoy a good cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.

Female Contestant: I met this gentleman in Laguna Beach...
    Groucho: There *are* no gentlemen in Laguna Beach.
    Female Contestant: Well, this gentleman is now abroad.
    Groucho: [pause while the audience titters] Couldn't be Christine Jorgensen, could it?

Contestant: [Groucho has just asked a question regarding making money] Well, I believe in doing it the old-fashioned way.
    Groucho: [Groucho looks down and smiles. The audience begins to giggle. Groucho then looks up] You know I must have some reputation. There isn't anything anyone can say on this stage that won't evoke some kind of a dirty laugh from the audience...
    [trying to keep from laughing]
    Groucho: What do you mean, 'the old fashioned-way'?
    [loses all seriousness, doubles over laughing]

Groucho: [To female contestant] So, are you happily married?
    Female Contestant: Of course...I am married to a man from France!
    Groucho: Is there supposed to be some certain significance to his nationality?
    Female Contestant: Ohhh, Groucho...have you ever been made love to by a Frenchman?
    Groucho: [Does a loooong thoughtful pause, much to the audiences delight] Not that I recall!

Groucho: ??Now suppose you became a famous actress, and then you met somebody you liked and got married. Would you be willing to quit acting and be a housewife and a mother??
    Woman contestant: ??Well, I think if you keep your feet on the ground you can combine both. That??s what I??d like to do.?
    Groucho: ??Well, if you keep your feet on the ground, you??ll never be a mother.?
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 09-12-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Mach2 Guest
    When MASH was on tv I refused to watch it because Alan Alda's part was just a lousy Groucho impression by Alda. It took me years to look past that fact before I could watch MASH. By then it was in reruns.

ratkin638 Guest
    Very late in his life, Groucho did two shows at Carnegie Hall. Being a huge Marx Brothers fan, I pulled every string I had to get tickets. My best friend and I went (and he was the one who got me started on the Marx Brothers in the first place!). We were both HUGELY disappointed and disillusioned. Groucho was a tired, sick old man who had no business being on a stage at that point. He started songs and let them peter out because he had forgotten the words, he mumbled, and just generally was horrible. I still love the old movies, but it took years for me to get the sour taste out of my mouth.

A small point of trivia: Margaret Dumont refused to call her frequent costars by their famous nicknames, even though they referred to each other by them offstage. Her name for Groucho? She called him Julie, short for his real name of Julius. Why "Julie" for Julius was allowable in her mind, but Groucho wasn't has to remain a mystery.