Thread: Terry Fox

Terry Fox

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Armcast Guest
    I remember him! I first saw him when he was featured on Real People (God I miss that show)...then I saw the Terry Fox Story on TV (HBO I think). Thanks for the memories..

cool dude

cachluv Guest
    I don't believe I've ever heard of this guy. Thanks Ix!! Cool post.

Thanks for posting the uplifting. No one loves the gory and the sad more than I but once in a blue one it's nice to read about someone who made a difference and had a pure heart.

Blue one. A moon. Not a ball.

a true canadian hero and an inspiration.

there was an article in my local paper not too long ago about the lady in my town who runs the local chapter of the terry fox run. she got to go in the actual van he travelled in, and meet his brother. she was bowled over. l wish l could find it.

http://tourofhope.typepad.com/tff_to...ur-of-hop.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Connor Guest
    My Hero. Always and forever. The greatest Canadian who ever lived.

Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    l was wondering how long it'd take you to get in here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pattykad Guest
    I did know the name and story..... did the cancer start because
    of the bump from the auto accident? Is that what Wikipedia is
    implying?

I remember when he did his run. I was only ten, but I was in awe. The movie was good, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

This guy is big in ASIA. Every year in Singapore and a couple of other countries around here they have fund-raising runs in his name.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    I did know the name and story..... did the cancer start because
    of the bump from the auto accident? Is that what Wikipedia is
    implying?
    It seems Wiki is implying that.
    It is strange, you have a car wreck, come out with a sore knee, and then you get cancer there.

There was a baseball guy, fairly famous I think, who pitched and then all of a sudden he had cancer in his elbow or thereabouts. That always stuck with me.

Does anyone know what his name was?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Sorry not trying to hijack thread but his name was Dave Dravecky, San Diego Padres.

Just bringing this up cause it was another weird one where cancer showed up in an arm that was overused. So is there a connection between an injury, or limb that takes a lot of stress and cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dravecky

Sphr798 Guest
    Never heard about him before. What a brave hero!

Joplinfrk - I love your Doggie!
    Last edited by Sphr798; 08-18-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: correction

bunny Guest
    Terry Fox a true Canadian Hero!

bloodrocuted Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    What about Neil Peart?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodrocuted View Post
    What about Neil Peart?
    Haha! (Personally, I prefer Gretzky....)

There are a gazillion schools up here named after Terry Fox. I remember when he had to give up the run because the cancer had spread. I believe he was around Thunder Bay which is a bit more than half way across the country. Pretty fair hike.

((I'm probably going to lose my passport for saying this, but I always thought the Fox "legend" was a bit overblown. I appreciate his perseverance, I just wonder sometimes whether he's being given more credit than he's due.))

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    ((I'm probably going to lose my passport for saying this, but I always thought the Fox "legend" was a bit overblown. I appreciate his perseverance, I just wonder sometimes whether he's being given more credit than he's due.))

If Terry Fox is not a legend I don't know who is. He was a kid who knew his time was limited and set out to do something great. Canada needs Terry Fox's because that is a very Canadian attitude (and you know what I mean).
    His birthday is coming up, July 28 and he would be 51. His name has probably raised more money for cancer research than any other. I am always surprised that kids still know who Terry Fox was. I am by nature as cynical as the rest but he was truly my hero and an inspiration. He was one tenacious little fucker.
    When he had to stop the pain in his voice was so heartbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8k8hpyp_A
    Last edited by John Connor; 07-22-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Terry Fox left a legacy

This guy really was beloved and he held the attention of the entire country and obviously many other people as well, during his endeavor. He was likable, when he spoke he was not a showman but always said something very heartfelt and timely. He really loved what he set out to do...despite the hardship. He really was a great Canadian...likely the greatest IMO. I disagree with Duster on that one. However, regarding the Greatest Canadian contest....please tell me anyone, why Don Cherry was on the list in the first place...and made the top ten. What is his contribution???

Nerak Guest
    Terry Fox grew up not far from me in Port Coquitlam, he was much older than me, (I was 7 when he passed) so I cannot say I knew him, but did know his family. What he did and what his family continues to do for cancer research is truly remarkable. He is a hero in my mind, an inspiration really.

kimba Guest
    There is a big tribute to him in Thunder Bay near where he had to end his run.

They also, just found the van he used, and had it refurbed to match the way it was for the trip. A bunch of guys still had it and used it to go fishing/camping in BC- it was also used as a a band bus!

Terry Fox's Econoline van restored for cross-Canada tour

Last Updated: Thursday, May 22, 2008 | 5:53 PM PT

The 1980 Ford Econoline van used by Terry Fox was restored by the Ford Motor Company. (Terry Fox Foundation) The 1980 Econoline Ford van that served as Terry Fox's home â?? and the movable headquarters for his Marathon of Hope â?? has been restored for a cross-Canada tour.
    The van that crept along the roadways of eastern Canada behind Fox for 143 days was shown off at Ford's Canadian headquarters in Oakville, Ont., on Thursday for the first time since it was found and acquired by the Terry Fox Foundation.
    The foundation plans to use the newly restored van to once again share Fox's goal of raising funds to fight cancer with a cross-Canada tour starting May 25 in St. John's.
    During the unveiling at the Oakville plant, Darrell Fox, Terry's brother, said the van brought back a lot of memories.
    Pointing to the bedding inside the van, he reminisced about how Terry had prepared himself every day for another gruelling run.
    "It's quite emotional, to know that this is where Terry slept â?¦ this is where he prepared every day for the Marathon of Hope. And I'm just coming to grips with what we experienced this morning," he told CBC News.
    Heavy-metal band used van for touring

The spot in northern Ontario where Fox was forced to end his Marathon of Hope in September 1980 was marked by a statue of the runner on the Trans-Canada Highway, but the support van was soon forgotten.
    The van's whereabouts remained unknown to the family until Vancouver author Douglas Coupland was approached at a party in North Vancouver by somebody who had read his 25th anniversary book about the Marathon of Hope. The guest told Coupland the van was in Vancouver.
    "So Doug gave me a phone call later that day, and the next day we were out on a mission to find the Marathon of Hope van," Fox, the national director of the Terry Fox Foundation, told CBC Radio on Friday morning.
    Originally the van had been loaned to Terry Fox by the Ford Motor Co., and after his death it was sold to a family.
    The van was eventually driven to British Columbia, where a heavy-metal rock band from East Vancouver used it for years to tour across North America.
    Darrell Fox said he'll never forget the day in the fall of 2006 when he and Coupland rediscovered the rusted Econoline parked on a side street in East Vancouver.
    "As soon as I turned the corner â?¦ I knew right away what I was looking at," he said.
    Fight against cancer inspired Fox to run

In 1977, Terry Fox's right leg was amputated above his knee after he was diagnosed at age 18 with bone cancer.
    Terry Fox is followed by the Ford Econoline van during the Marathon of Hope in 1980. (Canadian Press) On April 12, 1980, Fox dipped his artificial foot in the Atlantic Ocean off St. John's, and began his run to raise money for cancer research.
    He ran about 42 kilometres each day, in freezing rain, high winds, even snow, with the now iconic van following him on the highway.
    But on Sept. 1, chest pains and breathing problems forced him to stop running at a spot along the Trans-Canada Highway northeast of Thunder Bay.
    After 143 days and 5,373 kilometres, he announced he would have to postpone the rest of the run, saying, "I'm gonna do my very best. I'll fight, I promise I won't give up."
    In a B.C. hospital doctors discovered the source of his chest pains: cancer had spread to his lungs.
    In the months that followed, donations kept coming, and $24.17 million was raised, surpassing his initial goal.
    Since that time, a further $400 million has been raised in his name.
    Fox died on June 28, 1981, but not before becoming the youngest person ever to be awarded the Order of Canada.

John Connor Guest

This is his statue in Ottawa. I met Terry's brother during the tour they did with the van and I was a complete blabbering idiot but he was really cool.

pvezz Guest
    Here is the link to his page at Find A Grave. There are photos of his headstone, and you can leave a virtual flower.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=6394

Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    If Terry Fox is not a legend I don't know who is. He was a kid who knew his time was limited and set out to do something great. Canada needs Terry Fox's because that is a very Canadian attitude (and you know what I mean).
    His birthday is coming up, July 28 and he would be 51. His name has probably raised more money for cancer research than any other. I am always surprised that kids still know who Terry Fox was. I am by nature as cynical as the rest but he was truly my hero and an inspiration. He was one tenacious little fucker.
    When he had to stop the pain in his voice was so heartbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8k8hpyp_A

I bawled my eyes out watching that. It reminds me of the Jimmy V speech at the ESPYs. That one always makes me cry too.

I was 10 years old when he died and I can remember making many, many trips to the local theatre to see the movie when it came out.

Amazing when you look at how much he was able to accomplish in nearly 23 years and the lasting legacy that his strength and courage created all those years ago...More than $400 million raised in his name in 28 years....his life may have been brief but his flame still burns after all this time.

You are a hero in my books Terry...may you (very deservedly) rest in peace.

John Connor Guest
    Terry would be 51 today.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    Terry Fox a true Canadian Hero!
    I so agree, we need more kind unselfish people like him
    in Canada today.

I'm from Canada (Vancouver, to be specific), and every year in elementary school, we would go on Terry Fox runs! He was a great guy, and a cutie pie...awwww.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l was wondering how long it'd take you to get in here
    LOL! The plot thickens!

cherryghost Guest
    How incredibly inspiring! I feel better for hearing about him! Thanks guys!

Just saw the 1983 movie they made about his epic "Marathon of Hope" in 1980...It was on Vision TV here in Canada last night. I remember very clearly seeing that movie when it first came out. I'm betting it has been more than 20 years since I last saw that movie but it still gets me everytime...seeing him dunk his artificial leg in the Atlantic when he starts out and knowing he isn't going to make it all the way is heartbreaking. Still as moving a story 29 years later as it was originally.

You won't be forgotten Terry.

Fancynancy Guest
    I am a HUGE Rod Stewart fan--well, I guess not like I used to be, but there is a tribute song to Terry Fox on his Tonight I'm Yours album. I had never heard of him before that song, but then i read about him and he was really something! The song is called "Never Give up on a Dream."

Seagorath Guest
    Terry Fox is a giant...a LEGEND. He made quite an impression on me as a kid...

Terry Fox's mother just embarassed him and his memory at the Olympics. She was part of the opening ceremony - but that wasn't enough apparently.

She was bitching and whining in an interview that she should've had more facetime during the ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Sorry not trying to hijack thread but his name was Dave Dravecky, San Diego Padres.

Just bringing this up cause it was another weird one where cancer showed up in an arm that was overused. So is there a connection between an injury, or limb that takes a lot of stress and cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dravecky
    if limb= appendage:

Then there should be a huge increase in penile cancers these days.

If Terry fox is not on the next Canadian five dollar bill
    come this spring who else?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.