Thread: "Next Top Model"

michael d Guest

"Next Top Model"

It was officially announced that there will be a transgender contestant on "America's Next Top Model."

http://www.usmagazine.com/transgende...ompete-on-antm

I was wondering what people thought. I know people in the transgender community and think its great that the show is doing this. Those that I have known in this community have faced a lot of obstacles in their lives including acceptance from family members and others. I was surprised that the show was going to do this, but I think that it can create a positive discourse.

Last edited by michael d; 08-15-2008 at 07:22 PM.

marimbagirl Guest
    I hate to say this, but she looks better then Jaslene does....and Jaslene won the show 3 seasons ago.

3. 08-15-2008, 07:32 PM

erin Guest
    all i know is i'm jealous as all hell. i was born female and don't look that good.
    personally, i think that this is a positive step in helping to bring knowlege and acceptance to not just the transgender community, but to all who are seen as "different".

don't we have enough problems with women wanting to be so skinny they don't have female curves?
    now we're supposed to aspire to a skinny male body?
    no thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Morrissey Guest
    I am so glad to hear of this!

I hope this helps bring more acceptance/positive attention/etc. to the transgendered community... god knows it needs it.

It's something that means a lot to me... on a very personal level, and also of course to other friends of mine.

I hope things go well on the show for Isis -- she is quite striking.

onekindsistah Guest
    I'm not a fan of the show, but I think she looks great. Good for her! And kudos to Top Model!

RocketQueen Guest
    Season 11...they had to find away to keep the ratings up.

Sel Guest
    All I know is that I WANTTHOSE LEGS!!!! Why can't I have long legs like that, haha.

On a serious note I agree with RocketQueen, it will be all about the ratings and nothing about getting good publicity and gaining acceptance from the public.

I remember a show over here where a transgender went out for a night out and waited to see how many men would try and buy her a drink and get a date with her. The amount of men whom tried to flirt with her all night. If i rememeber right all the guys who were 'caught out' sued the show for showing them without their permission and that they had a barage of taunting from 'friends' and the public.

But my point was that that show did a lot to get the issue into the UK public domain hopefully Next top Model will do the same for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    don't we have enough problems with women wanting to be so skinny they don't have female curves?
    now we're supposed to aspire to a skinny male body?
    no thanks.
    the american ideal has always portrayed the typical male body as ideal, no hips, long torso, etc., which ninety percent of the female population is not. we have enuff trouble dealing with body image these days. what does the traditional transgender figure supposed to look like anyway?
    pull the string!

panda Guest
    I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think she's attractive. Of course once they apply the layers of make-up I suppose she'll look perfect like the rest of them.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    All I have to say is...WORK IT GIRL!!! She is beautiful!

Morrissey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    the american ideal has always portrayed the typical male body as ideal, no hips, long torso, etc., which ninety percent of the female population is not. we have enuff trouble dealing with body image these days. what does the traditional transgender figure supposed to look like anyway?
    All transgendered people look different, seriously.

You probably wouldn't even be able to tell a lot of the time, because a lot of trans people can't afford the ridiculous amounts for the surgery. (F to M is insanely priced... it's far easier for males to get the surgery.) It's not really fair, but yeah...

pvezz Guest
    I think she's beautiful.

And Michael, I *HEART* your avie!!! Love Sylvester!

lisalouver Guest
    I dont find her even a tiny bit attractive.

That being said, I can't believe that this show is still on the air?

Transgendered Gals and Guys are people too its sad however that the only representation they are allowed is of "FreakShow" status. I guess that is the first step towards an open acceptance without judgement in society.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Transgendered Gals and Guys are people too its sad however that the only representation they are allowed is of "FreakShow" status. I guess that is the first step towards an open acceptance without judgement in society.
    I agree.

My gay hairdresser does drag and those guys are given so much more respect, it is like the transgendered folks are placed at the bottom of the barrel, like on Maurys show of is this a guy or a girl?

Sad.

MorbidMolly Guest
    When I still lived in Kansas most of my good friends were gay......I used to love to go to the shows in Wichita and party with these incredibly beautiful people..........gay, transgendered, hetro, it didn`t matter there was ALWAYS total exceptance of everyone......I dearly loved them all, and miss them so much........I have NEVER been to a hetro bar, where the same can be said......the total freedom was intoxicating.......not saying everyone was perfect, but damn it was wonderful........I`m thrilled that Next Top Model is doing this.......for me it seems like the first, albeit small step towards maybe something more.......

NOVSTORM Guest
    The my o my club in New Orleans had the most beautiful men in the world in it..lol used to get depressed after seeing them..but good for the transgender world..give them a break and let them strut their stuff.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I think she's HAWT!

Forever-27 Guest
    Strange world we live in

Never heard of the show. I dont watch much tv

michael d Guest
    I became familiar with the transgender community while living in Phoenix. Many are Native American and make the difficult transition from the reservation to the city. Below is a link to an article done by the New Times that describes these difficulties in vivid detail. Though I would rather not get on a soapbox in this forum, I thought that some of you might be interested in this article.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-...e-crying-game/

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    I became familiar with the transgender community while living in Phoenix. Many are Native American and make the difficult transition from the reservation to the city. Below is a link to an article done by the New Times that describes these difficulties in vivid detail. Though I would rather not get on a soapbox in this forum, I thought that some of you might be interested in this article.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-...e-crying-game/

Cool.......thanks.......although I am familiar looks like a good read.....it is so saved.....

I wonder what it would it be like to have loooong legs like that. She looks good to me!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

ANTM is one of my guilty pleasures. My only hope is that if she gets voted off the show, it doesn't become, "they only wanted me off because.......," or we need to keep her on because......" and judge her just like the rest.
    Yeah, yeah, I know, it's a TV show, they gotta keep it interesting. I just think it should always be on merit.

The season with the girl/woman with Aspbergers' was interesting, but they kept bringing it up. Rather than being who she was (which I cannot remember her name), she was the "girl with Aspbergers'".

anyway, just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    I like hips, more the better I say. The curves of a woman are sublime. No hips? pass......
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I like hips, more the better I say. The curves of a woman are sublime. No hips? pass......

I looked like a boy for years.......very thin, no hips, and my boobs were none existent........after I had my daughter, I was thrilled to finally look like a girl.......still skinny, but the added hips were a plus.......

TheMysterian Guest

Top Modelā?? designer gets 59 years for rapes

I did a search and didn't find anything on this person

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32635227...me_and_courts/

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    I did a search and didn't find anything on this person

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32635227...me_and_courts/
    Did you search piece of shit scumbucket? Good riddance, he needs his nuts whacked off

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    Did you search piece of shit scumbucket? Good riddance, he needs his nuts whacked off
    Thanks Bill,I,ll remember to check that category next time!

ChargerBill Guest
    I wonder if the sister is hot

RaRaRamona Guest
    http://www.anandjon.com/

That crap is laughable.

RaRaRamona Guest

RaRaRamona Guest