Thread: Howard Cosell

Howard Cosell

How can we forget this great? The man who made Monday Night Football what it was. And who could forget " Battle of the Network Stars. Epic television.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 10-25-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Armcast Guest
    My most vivid memory of Howard was when he was interviewing Larry Holmes at somebody else's boxing match and Gerry Cooney showed up. Larry got mad when Gerry showed up and started swinging away hitting Howard and busting his lip. All on live television. Howard is irreplaceable.

TNpuck Guest
    He is the one who informed millions, including myself, that John Lennon had died.

onehunglow Guest
    Yep and drunk on Monday night football. Anyone who pukes on Dandy Don is good in my book.

Danny62 Guest
    I never liked the guy...he had ears like Dumbo!!!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I never liked the guy...he had ears like Dumbo!!!
    And an incredibly annoying voice to go with those ears!

before he was a sports announcer/writer he was an attorney. he was also a strong advocate for civil rights from the 40's onward at a time it wasn't necessarily a popular position.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    before he was a sports announcer/writer he was an attorney. he was also a strong advocate for civil rights from the 40's onward at a time it wasn't necessarily a popular position.
    Yeah and so when he was calling a Monday Night game and he happened to flippantly say (without malice) "Look at that monkey go" in regards to a black player running up field, people tried to crucify him.
    It was incredible, political correctness out of control...Again.

was'nt howie one of the reporters that hounded roger maris so much his hair fell out,as depicted in *61?

howards half time updates were classic,iconic even.

Howard Cosell

Any stories?

-K.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Yeah and so when he was calling a Monday Night game and he happened to flippantly say (without malice) "Look at that monkey go" in regards to a black player running up field, people tried to crucify him.
    It was incredible, political correctness out of control...Again.
    AMEN, Tugboat. I saw it too and remember it well. I'm not a great Cosell fan, but I have always believed he got mega-screwed in regard to that affair.

His chemistry with Muhammed Ali ... legendary.

He also marched in civil rights marches.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    ha! i never liked him! he was annoying as hell!!

ratkin638 Guest
    I'm a little late in joining this discussion - - about 11 months, it seems - - but I can't resist posting this story. I've met a fair number of celebrities in my life (a story that's not germaine to this conversation), but Howard Cosell was totally unique, in my experience.

I was in the old ABC building back in the 70s, along with a friend of mine, on the way up in the elevator to the twenty-something floor. We were alone in the elevator until it stopped on one of the lower floors. Howard Cosell walks into the elevator, the doors close and we continue our ascent. My friend was a big sports fan, and couldn't resist saying something. He told Cosell, completely honestly and respectfully, how much he enjoyed Cosell's work, and what a big fan he was. No response. None. Zippo. He never looked at us, didn't say anything, had no response to my friend's polite praise. He just stared straight ahead. A few floors later, the elevator stopped and he got off, without ever giving any indication that he had been anything but alone in that elevator.

Friendly guy.....
    Last edited by ratkin638; 09-29-2008 at 06:29 PM.

I found him to be annoying.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I did not like this guy at all, and hated his voice. As far as his name calling. You do not call a black person a monkey. What was he thinking?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Giada Guest
    Sexist and rascist ...what's not to love

But, hey, he can accumulate data ...must have some value

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    As far as his name calling. You do not call a black person a monkey. What was he thinking?

He called his grandchildren "monkeys".

Labeling Cosell "racist" is laughable. As stated above, he worked for Civil Rights long before it was considered cool.

Howard did it when doing it could cost you your job.

I wasn't a big Cosell fan. I remember cheering when he said that he wouldn't cover anymore boxing events after the Holmes/Cobb fight.

Loud, obnoxious, condescending, could be accurate labels for Howard.

Racist? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    He called his grandchildren "monkeys".

Labeling Cosell "racist" is laughable. As stated above, he worked for Civil Rights long before it was considered cool.

Howard did it when doing it could cost you your job.

I wasn't a big Cosell fan. I remember cheering when he said that he wouldn't cover anymore boxing events after the Holmes/Cobb fight.

Loud, obnoxious, condescending, could be accurate labels for Howard.

Racist? No.
    Didnt he get death threats for his enlightened views on race relations?
    He was not a racist.
    He made a comment that I can see being interpreted as racist but that one statement does not define him or should not be the only qualification regarded for consideration to pass judgement on him.
    Yes he was annoying.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Didnt he get death threats for his enlightened views on race relations?
    I don't know, but, having been born and raised in the south, I remember several individuals describing Cosell as that Jew that kissed that draft-dodging n-word's ass.

It had to have cut Howard deep into his heart to be labeled a racist.

Not a fan but I do feel for him.

Giada Guest
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/1009/C...oken-Ties.html

IMO ...just another Imus

Some will sympathize, some not.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/1009/C...oken-Ties.html

IMO ...just another Imus

Some will sympathize, some not.
    So you have no sympathy or understanding is what you are saying.
    No he was not just another Imus.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

stephenmiller Guest
    How about Howard at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics on ABC covering George Foreman's fight and also his sympathetic interview with Tommie Smith and John Carlos following their black power salutes in the awards ceremony?

Come back Howard!

as i continue to plumb the depths of What's My Line? on the web, John Charles Daly stood up for Howard at ABC allowing Howie to keep his job. I will return and reference the site.

ajlposh Guest
    I think Howard was the greatest sports announcer of all time. And I'm only 17

ratkin638 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    I think Howard was the greatest sports announcer of all time. And I'm only 17
    I suspect that the second sentence of your post explains the first one.

Howard Cosell had the ability to be good. Clips of that aspect of his work might also explain your opinion. He also had the ability to be a crushingly boring know it all, and to give long 'learned' dissertations on subjects about which he knew little or nothing.

I found Howard annoying in an amusing way, but I liked his work, by and large.

Was there an earlier thread about him, because I swear I remember typing some of these words before?

I saw a "roast" of Howard, wherein eveyone did their bit of making fun of him...he took the lecturn and said, "Spit balls at a battleship..."

A good guy, I say.

Come back, Stone.

Aprreciate you!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

here is howard interviewing david letterman circa 1988.
    howard does a nice job.
    http://classicshowbiz.blogspot.com/2...howard_05.html
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Jazbabee Guest
    I was a kid uring his heyday, couldn't stand him !!

nope, not a one,