Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terry Melcher

Cadence71 Guest

Terry Melcher

Terry Melcher (February 8, 1942 â?? November 19, 2004) was an American musician and record producer.

Early life

Melcher was born Terry Jorden in New York City to trombonist Al Jorden and his wife, singer/actress Doris Day. Day was only 19 years old when she gave birth to Terry. Before Terry's birth, Day was planning to leave the abusive and violent Al Jorden. Jorden was outraged when he found out about her pregnancy, and demanded Day get an abortion. Doris refused and in turn, Jorden physically abused Day throughout her entire pregnancy. Shortly after Terry's birth, Day filed for divorce, left Terry with her mother in Ohio and went back to touring with big band leader Les Brown. After the divorce, Terry's father failed to visit his son on a regular basis and had little presence in his life. Al Jorden would ultimately commit suicide years later.[1]
    Day's career led her to Hollywood where she appeared on local radio shows. After marrying and divorcing her second husband, saxophonist George Weidler, Day met and married Martin Melcher. Martin Melcher would become Day's manager and go on to produce many of her movies. Although Terry and Martin disliked each other intensely, Martin adopted Terry, giving the boy his surname.[2]After Martin's death in 1968, it was discovered that he had mismanaged or embezzled $20 million of Doris Day's money.[3]

Career

In the early 1960s, Terry Melcher and Bruce Johnston formed the vocal duet Bruce & Terry. The duo had hits like Custom Machine and Summer Means Fun. Melcher and Johnston also created another band together, The Rip Chords, that had a Top 10 hit Hey, Little Cobra. Later, Bruce Johnston would join The Beach Boys. By the mid-60s, Melcher had joined the staff of Columbia Records and went on to work with The Byrds. He produced their song, Turn, Turn, Turn, and helped them to produce their remake of Bob Dylan's, Mr. Tambourine Man. Due to conflicts with the band, Melcher was replaced. He later worked with Paul Revere and the Raiders, Wayne Newton, Frankie Laine, Pat Boone, Glen Campbell, Mark Lindsay and The Mamas & The Papas. Melcher was instrumental in signing another near-legendary L.A. band, the Rising Sons led by Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.[4] Melcher also performed on the Beach Boys album Pet Sounds, as a background vocalist, and introduced Brian Wilson to Van Dyke Parks in February of 1966, beginning their partnership on the ill-fated SMiLE project.[5] He was also a board member of the Monterey Pop Foundation and a producer of the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.

Cadence71 Guest
    The Manson Family

In 1968, Beach Boy Dennis Wilson introduced Melcher to ex-con and aspiring musician Charles Manson. Manson and his "family" had been living in Wilson's house after Dennis had picked up two girls from the "family" hitchhiking. Wilson expressed interest in Manson's music and even recorded two of Manson's songs with The Beach Boys. For a time, Melcher was interested in recording Manson's music, as well as making a movie about the "family". During that time, Manson met Melcher at 10050 Cielo Drive, the home Melcher shared with his girlfriend, Candice Bergen, on different occasions. Manson eventually auditioned for Melcher, but Melcher declined to sign him. There was still talk of a documentary being made about Manson's music, but Melcher abandoned the project after witnessing his subject becoming embroiled in a terrifying fight with a drunken stuntman at Spahn Ranch.[3] Both Wilson and Melcher severed their ties with Manson, a move that angered Manson.[6]
    After severing ties with Manson, Melcher and Bergen moved out of the Cielo Drive home. The house was then leased to director Roman Polanski and his wife, actress Sharon Tate. Manson continued to turn up at the house looking for Melcher. On at least one occasion, Manson was informed that Melcher had moved.[3]On August 9, 1969, the house that was once occupied by Melcher was the site of the brutal murders of Sharon Tate (who was eight months pregnant at the time), coffee heiress Abigail Folger (known as Gibby to her friends), hairdresser Jay Sebring, writer Voytek Frykowski, and Steven Parent, by members of Manson's "family".
    At that time Melcher was producing Jimmy Boyd for A&M Records. Herb Alpert had previously visited a recording studio where Melcher and Boyd were recording a session for Vee Jay Records. Vee Jay Records was the first record company to release The Beatles records in the USA, then lost a major law suit over the rights to the Beatles with Capitol Records and went bankrupt. The record never got released. Herb Alpert was impressed enough to invite Melcher to produce Boyd for A&M Records. After the initial tracks were recorded the Manson murders took place, Melcher went into seclusion and the session was never completed.
    After Manson was arrested, it was widely reported that he had sent his followers to the house to kill Melcher. Manson "family" member Susan Atkins, who admitted her part in the murders, stated to police and before a Grand Jury that the house was chosen as the scene for the murders, "to instill fear into Terry Melcher because Terry had given us his word on a few things and never came through with them".[3] The police discounted this theory after learning that Manson knew that Melcher no longer lived there. In this aim, the Manson Family was quite successful. Melcher took to employing a bodyguard and he told prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi that his fear was so great, he had been undergoing psychiatric treatment. Melcher was the most frightened of the witnesses at the trial, even though Bugliosi assured him that, "Manson knew you were no longer living there".[3]

Later years

In the 1970s, Melcher again became a producer for the Byrds, but the results were not well received; one critic referred to the album Byrdmaniax as "Melcher's Folly". During this time, he also dabbled in real estate and served as the executive producer on his mother's CBS series, The Doris Day Show. He later recorded two solo albums titled, Terry Melcher and Royal Flush. In 1985, Terry co-produced the cable show, Doris Day's Best Friends, and worked as the director and vice president of the Doris Day Animal Foundation. He and his mother, to whom he remained extremely close throughout his life, also co-owned the Cypress Inn, a small hotel in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California.[5]
    In 1988, Melcher earned a Golden Globe nomination for co-writing the song Kokomo with The Beach Boys. The song was featured in the 1988 Tom Cruise film, Cocktail, and rose to number one on the pop charts that year.[5]

Death

On November 19, 2004, Terry Melcher died at his home after a long battle with melanoma. He was 62 years old.[7]He was survived by his wife Terese, son Ryan Melcher and his mother Doris Day.

WendyK Guest
    From the pics I have seen Terrry was not one pleasant Mo-Fo to look at...

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    From the pics I have seen Terrry was not one pleasant Mo-Fo to look at...
    Whats Mo-Fo

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Thanks for the pics Ivy. I haven't seen on of him in his later years.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    The pictures when he was younger, he looks ok, but the later ones not so good.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamrock Princess View Post
    The pictures when he was younger, he looks ok, but the later ones not so good.
    Yeah, when he was younger he was quite handsome but in his last years you can see all his hard living on his face. Too bad.

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamrock Princess View Post
    Whats Mo-Fo

Mother Fucker... lol

Glamrock Princess Guest

Talking

Mother Fucker... lol

LOL, I see

Desertrose Guest
    He was also very sick with cancer and taking meds which puts weight on. He was a brilliant record producer.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Poor man.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    He was also very sick with cancer and taking meds which puts weight on. He was a brilliant record producer.
    Yes he was

colz85 Guest
    my understanding is that there is some kind of estrangement between Ryan and his grandmother (Doris Day). Anyone know anything about it?

check out this description of Doris and Al Jorden-from the Dark Days Doris Day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...lic-image.html

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    check out this description of Doris and Al Jorden-from the Dark Days Doris Day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...lic-image.html
    Yes I knew most of that and I knew it was brutal but I didn't realize it was that brutal

doris had a nice affair going on with maury wills in the 60's. he was the star shortstop of the LA Dodgers back in the day.

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    doris had a nice affair going on with maury wills in the 60's. he was the star shortstop of the LA Dodgers back in the day.
    I pretty much assumed she was a tramp from the BIO I seen

LOL @ tramp. It's so, so 1930's!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

cherryghost Guest
    I thought he died of resultant skin cancer due to being very faired skinned and exposed to the sun in California which is ironic considering his connection with the Beach Boys or not!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    I thought he died of resultant skin cancer due to being very faired skinned and exposed to the sun in California which is ironic considering his connection with the Beach Boys or not!
    Yup, I believe he did in fact die from skin cancer

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Interesting link about Doris, thanks xx

Terry's cancer started on his shoulder, that much I remember from the death certificate. Sad when your kid dies before you. I couldn't imagine. Terry's death house is in the Helter Skelter tour.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Hi Scott. Happy Birthday xx

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    Terry's cancer started on his shoulder, that much I remember from the death certificate. Sad when your kid dies before you. I couldn't imagine. Terry's death house is in the Helter Skelter tour.
    Wow Scott, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me
    One day I'm going on that tour!!

Bake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadence71 View Post
    The Manson Family

In 1968, Beach Boy Dennis Wilson introduced Melcher to ex-con and aspiring musician Charles Manson. Manson and his "family" had been living in Wilson's house after Dennis had picked up two girls from the "family" hitchhiking. Wilson expressed interest in Manson's music and even recorded two of Manson's songs with The Beach Boys. For a time, Melcher was interested in recording Manson's music, as well as making a movie about the "family". During that time, Manson met Melcher at 10050 Cielo Drive, the home Melcher shared with his girlfriend, Candice Bergen, on different occasions. Manson eventually auditioned for Melcher, but Melcher declined to sign him. There was still talk of a documentary being made about Manson's music, but Melcher abandoned the project after witnessing his subject becoming embroiled in a terrifying fight with a drunken stuntman at Spahn Ranch.[3] Both Wilson and Melcher severed their ties with Manson, a move that angered Manson.[6]
    After severing ties with Manson, Melcher and Bergen moved out of the Cielo Drive home. The house was then leased to director Roman Polanski and his wife, actress Sharon Tate. Manson continued to turn up at the house looking for Melcher. On at least one occasion, Manson was informed that Melcher had moved.[3]On August 9, 1969, the house that was once occupied by Melcher was the site of the brutal murders of Sharon Tate (who was eight months pregnant at the time), coffee heiress Abigail Folger (known as Gibby to her friends), hairdresser Jay Sebring, writer Voytek Frykowski, and Steven Parent, by members of Manson's "family".
    At that time Melcher was producing Jimmy Boyd for A&M Records. Herb Alpert had previously visited a recording studio where Melcher and Boyd were recording a session for Vee Jay Records. Vee Jay Records was the first record company to release The Beatles records in the USA, then lost a major law suit over the rights to the Beatles with Capitol Records and went bankrupt. The record never got released. Herb Alpert was impressed enough to invite Melcher to produce Boyd for A&M Records. After the initial tracks were recorded the Manson murders took place, Melcher went into seclusion and the session was never completed.
    After Manson was arrested, it was widely reported that he had sent his followers to the house to kill Melcher. Manson "family" member Susan Atkins, who admitted her part in the murders, stated to police and before a Grand Jury that the house was chosen as the scene for the murders, "to instill fear into Terry Melcher because Terry had given us his word on a few things and never came through with them".[3] The police discounted this theory after learning that Manson knew that Melcher no longer lived there. In this aim, the Manson Family was quite successful. Melcher took to employing a bodyguard and he told prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi that his fear was so great, he had been undergoing psychiatric treatment. Melcher was the most frightened of the witnesses at the trial, even though Bugliosi assured him that, "Manson knew you were no longer living there".[3]

Later years

In the 1970s, Melcher again became a producer for the Byrds, but the results were not well received; one critic referred to the album Byrdmaniax as "Melcher's Folly". During this time, he also dabbled in real estate and served as the executive producer on his mother's CBS series, The Doris Day Show. He later recorded two solo albums titled, Terry Melcher and Royal Flush. In 1985, Terry co-produced the cable show, Doris Day's Best Friends, and worked as the director and vice president of the Doris Day Animal Foundation. He and his mother, to whom he remained extremely close throughout his life, also co-owned the Cypress Inn, a small hotel in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California.[5]
    In 1988, Melcher earned a Golden Globe nomination for co-writing the song Kokomo with The Beach Boys. The song was featured in the 1988 Tom Cruise film, Cocktail, and rose to number one on the pop charts that year.[5]

Death

On November 19, 2004, Terry Melcher died at his home after a long battle with melanoma. He was 62 years old.[7]He was survived by his wife Terese, son Ryan Melcher and his mother Doris Day.
    I NEVER knew this...how interesting...

WendyK Guest
    Happy Birthday Scott! Terry,was / is creepy looking....just saying! All I can smell is Skunk!

Quote Originally Posted by colz85 View Post
    my understanding is that there is some kind of estrangement between Ryan and his grandmother (Doris Day). Anyone know anything about it?
    From what I've read, the estrangement comes from the divorce of Ryan's mother and Terry, which was particularly nasty. It's a shame, given that he is the closest blood relative that Doris still has....

beatlebaby4 Guest
    It is a shame. Why can't everyone just get along esp. family

Image Maker Guest

LOL:

Men who sleep with a lot of women = Stud

Women who sleep with a lot of men = Tramp

Good heavens, 2008 and women are tramps because they have more than 1 lover? Remember, for every "tramp" there is a man who participated in the act.

Me? I suppose I am a Super Tramp...lol

beatlebaby4 Guest
    hey isn't that a 70's rock group - supertramp? lol lol

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Image Maker View Post
    LOL:

Good heavens, 2008 and women are tramps because they have more than 1 lover? Remember, for every "tramp" there is a man who participated in the act.

I understand and support your opinion of sexual equality but there is such a thing as discretion, which she didn't show much.

Cathy J. Guest
    I wonder what was Doris Day's take on her son working in rock & roll?

From what I remember Doris Day wasn't exactly a rock music fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    I wonder what was Doris Day's take on her son working in rock & roll?

From what I remember Doris Day wasn't exactly a rock music fan.

She was very supportive; in fact, he tried to move her toward more contemporary music. She did some songs with a rock twist to them, but it didn't fit her voice. That's one reason she quit recording...she felt that her time had come and gone and that it was someone else's turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    I understand and support your opinion of sexual equality but there is such a thing as discretion, which she didn't show much.
    Read her book...she explains her viewpoints. She's very open to falling in love, and when she needed to show discretion, she did. She had an affair with a married man during her TV show, and has never revealed his name. It took the most recent biographies of her, that were published this year, to finally identify him - after almost 40 years. I'd say that qualifies as discretion!

4 years today since Terry died. Hoping his mother is finding comfort in her memories today...

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Image Maker View Post
    LOL:

I agree 100 % men that sleep around are studs and women are tramps.

I actually have more respect for the woman and men that take money for it at least they are making a living .

Wow, it was only 4 years ago since he passed, for some reason I thought that it was much longer ago.

cherryghost Guest
    Im no expert on his Manson association but that will follow in explicite detail from other expert deathhags! Didnt he rather ironically die of skin cancer being associated with the Beachboys and LA crew! Doris Day son ironic and escaped death by Manson! The man was surrounded by irony!

I wish I was the tramp in that survey

Pamebabby Guest
    I would think after the Manson trials, Terry living looking over his shoulder the rest of his life. Kinda sad, but why did he get mixed up with Manson in the first place? I remember before Candace Bergan moved in with Melcher, his roommate was Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders. I'm guessing Mark moved out before Candice moved it, three's a crowd and all that. I'm still borderline on the murders being committed to teach Terry a lesson-if they wanted to do that, they knew where he lived. They took his mom's spyglass from the deck of the house. I think more than the victims, it was the HOUSE that was chosen as a target, since Watson knew it well, and some of the girls had been there also. Yeah, funny about the difference in what men and women are labeled as regarding sex...it's never a "tramp" around here, it's a Hoochie-Mama. Same thing, just Pa. speak

Quote Originally Posted by Pamebabby View Post
    I would think after the Manson trials, Terry living looking over his shoulder the rest of his life. Kinda sad, but why did he get mixed up with Manson in the first place? I remember before Candace Bergan moved in with Melcher, his roommate was Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders. I'm guessing Mark moved out before Candice moved it, three's a crowd and all that. I'm still borderline on the murders being committed to teach Terry a lesson-if they wanted to do that, they knew where he lived. They took his mom's spyglass from the deck of the house. I think more than the victims, it was the HOUSE that was chosen as a target, since Watson knew it well, and some of the girls had been there also. Yeah, funny about the difference in what men and women are labeled as regarding sex...it's never a "tramp" around here, it's a Hoochie-Mama. Same thing, just Pa. speak

Remember the time period....alot of the rock bands were weird, drug-crazed hippies. On the surface, I'm sure Manson and his group might have looked the same. Once Terry found out how weird they really were, he dropped them.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    How weird! I always pictured Doris Day as a good little American princess.
    That held a quarter between her legs at all times. WOW!

Giada Guest
    The studios controlled the lives of these people at the time. Doris Day, the virgin in perpetuity, Rock Hudson's lavender marriage ... .

That would be Melanoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Death is to the dead what life is to the living" Bette Midler

monroe62 Guest
    I would think after the Manson trials, Terry living looking over his shoulder the rest of his life...
    Ya think he would've seen that first sign of Melanoma.

kelbons Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post

TIMB1967 Guest
    Mother Fucker... lol
    You crack me up, Wendy...lol

the corpse bride Guest

Thumbs up

[quote=Image Maker;381466]LOL:

Me? I suppose I am a Super Tramp...lol[/quote

I don't put anybody down for their sexual politics... My mom had many boyfriends and my dad who is known as the "sperm donor" sired a total of 20 kids b/4 he died of brain cancer. It's your body and it's your life just use protection and a little birth control of some kind. Love ya lots

Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post

Superb!

radiojane Guest
    Okay.... I'm joining RARA in the multiquote olympiad:

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaBlair View Post
    From what I've read, the estrangement comes from the divorce of Ryan's mother and Terry, which was particularly nasty. It's a shame, given that he is the closest blood relative that Doris still has....
    That sucks.... but I'm iffy on Ms Day. I think she's got a meanstreak, and I can see her holding a grudge. Granted, I don't know the facts, so I could be dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaBlair View Post
    Read her book...she explains her viewpoints. She's very open to falling in love, and when she needed to show discretion, she did. She had an affair with a married man during her TV show, and has never revealed his name. It took the most recent biographies of her, that were published this year, to finally identify him - after almost 40 years. I'd say that qualifies as discretion!
    That's like what we say about my slutty aunt: She's just doing a lot of auditioning for Mr. Right

I would think after the Manson trials, Terry living looking over his shoulder the rest of his life. Kinda sad, but why did he get mixed up with Manson in the first place?
    As weird as Charlie boy was, even in the sixties, not many people would think of someone as being a murderer. It wasn't the first thought that popped into their minds. The degree of weirdness probably didn't sink in right away.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    How weird! I always pictured Doris Day as a good little American princess.
    That held a quarter between her legs at all times. WOW!
    Oh now that's an image.......

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    The studios controlled the lives of these people at the time. Doris Day, the virgin in perpetuity, Rock Hudson's lavender marriage ... .
    She was sure groomed to be that 'good girl' star. I loved her movies with James Garner....

ShockDoc Guest
    I read somewhere that Melcher used Doris occasionally to sing background vocals on records he was producing.