Thread: Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine

leevancleef Guest

Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine

http://www.angelfire.com/film/robbed/suspicion.htm
    Check this out!

Ive always wondered what could have caused the serious estrangement between the two sisters....Its sad that now that they are both in her nineties, in the last years of their lives, they won't change their minds about their feud.
    What are your thoughts about it?

leevancleef Guest
    From Wikipedia:

Olivia was the first to become an actress; when her sister, Joan, tried to follow her lead, their mother, who allegedly favoured Olivia, refused to let her use the family name so Joan was forced to invent a name (Joan Burfield, and later Joan Fontaine, utilizing her own mother's former stage name). Biographer Charles Higham records that the sisters have always had an uneasy relationship, starting in early childhood, when Olivia would rip up the clothes that Joan had to wear as hand-me-downs, forcing Joan to sew them back together. A lot of the feud and resentment between the sisters stems from Joan's perception of Olivia being their mother's favorite child.
    Both Olivia and Joan were nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress in 1942. Joan won first for her role in Alfred Hitchcock's Suspicion (1941) over Olivia's nomination for Hold Back the Dawn (1941). Higham states that Joan "felt guilty about winning; given her lack of obsessive career drive..."
    Higham has described the events of the awards ceremony, stating that, as Joan stepped forward to collect her award, she pointedly rejected Olivia's attempts at congratulating her and that Olivia was both offended and embarrassed by her behavior. Several years later, Olivia would remember the slight and exact her own by brushing past Joan, who was waiting with her hand extended, because Olivia had allegedly taken offense at a comment Joan had made about Olivia's then-husband.
    Olivia's relationship with Joan continued to deteriorate after the incident at the Academy Awards in 1942. Higham has stated that this was the near final straw for what would become a lifelong feud, but the sisters did not completely stop speaking until 1975.
    According to Joan, Olivia did not invite her to a memorial service for their mother, who had recently died. Olivia claims she told Joan, but that Joan had brushed her off, claiming that she was too busy to attend.
    Higham records that Joan has an estranged relationship with her own daughters as well, possibly because she discovered that they were secretly maintaining a relationship with their aunt Olivia.
    Both sisters have refused to comment publicly about their feud and dysfunctional family relationship, unless you want to go by John Kobal's interview of Joan: with him she stated categorically that the so called rivalry was a pure hoax, cooked up by the studio publicity hounds.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Who knows. My grandmother and her sister were the same way. The best thing I EVER read about this was that Olivia was always angry at Joan for stealing her thunder by being the "first" of the two to do certain things even though Joan was younger, like sex with a man, win an Oscar, and a bunch of petty stuff from their childhoods largely. Joan once cracked, "I'll probably die first, and Olivia will be angry at me for that, too."

My grandmother and her oldest sister were the same way. Rivalry in looks and accomplishments.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Vamp Guest
    They were gifted with beauty, talent and long life. You would think that two sisters in their nineties could make up and forgive each other before they died.

Noelle Page Guest
    Maybe this is twisted, but in a way, being in your 90s is a great reason to hold onto a grudge~ you've invested a lifetime in this feud, why relent now?

I can't decide if I'm Team Joan or Team Olivia. I do prefer Joan onscreen.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    THANKS for this thread lee!
    I love both of them, but I guess I'd go for Olivia if I had to choose a favorite, she seemed less "mousy" and more aggressive, especially in later roles (like "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" -- LOVED her in that). But Joan in "Rebecca," what's not to like?? It's really a tossup.
    But really, who wouldn't love to know the real story about their feud? I have to hand it to both of them though, they've kept it private for the most part...which can't have been easy.
    Love them both--and isn't it also wonderful that they're both still with us?

Reecy Guest
    It's sad that 2 beautiful sisters would act like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

I loved Olivia in Gone with the wind and Joan in Rebecca. They both deserved Oscars for those films.

John Connor Guest
    they actually both sound like stupid bitches

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    THANKS for this thread lee!
    I love both of them, but I guess I'd go for Olivia if I had to choose a favorite, she seemed less "mousy" and more aggressive, especially in later roles (like "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" -- LOVED her in that). But Joan in "Rebecca," what's not to like?? It's really a tossup.
    But really, who wouldn't love to know the real story about their feud? I have to hand it to both of them though, they've kept it private for the most part...which can't have been easy.
    Love them both--and isn't it also wonderful that they're both still with us?

Yes, I just wish we'd see more of them. Olivia pops up here and there at the Oscars and in magazines, but I don't think I've seen a picture of Joan Fontaine in 20 years. I was always more of a Joan fan, but they both are wonderful.

The best thing I ever heard about Suspicion, re: the pasted on fake/changed ending, was that the ending really wasn't changed at all, you just have to assume that Cary just kills her when they get home after the movie ends. Loves it!

Noelle Page Guest
    Here's Joan in Vanity Fair a few months ago:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...fontaine200803

leevancleef Guest
    Wow, thanks a lot Noelle!!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Thanks!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    Yes, I just wish we'd see more of them. Olivia pops up here and there at the Oscars and in magazines, but I don't think I've seen a picture of Joan Fontaine in 20 years. I was always more of a Joan fan, but they both are wonderful.

The best thing I ever heard about Suspicion, re: the pasted on fake/changed ending, was that the ending really wasn't changed at all, you just have to assume that Cary just kills her when they get home after the movie ends. Loves it!
    It's funny, I always DID assume that! And everyone told me I was crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Here's Joan in Vanity Fair a few months ago:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...fontaine200803
    Noelle we can always count on you! AWESOME photo, she looks damn good.

Noelle Page Guest
    She does look good--still Joan Fontaine.

I love her answers, too. So many celebs give stupid, snarky, unfunny throwaway answers to these interestering questions. She gave thoughtful ones.

Just watched Olivia in The Heiress tonight. She is awesome in that film. No wonder she won an Oscar for that role. She plays an amazing range of character and it is chilling at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    She does look good--still Joan Fontaine.

I love her answers, too. So many celebs give stupid, snarky, unfunny throwaway answers to these interestering questions. She gave thoughtful ones.

I saw her in Carmel this past March. She indeed looks great; you wouldn't know that she's 93. I'm not saying she looks 26, but she looked a good 10,12 years younger than her actual age, and she was graceful, limber. She didn't have the constricted movement that most elderly show when walking etc...
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Murphee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    they actually both sound like stupid bitches
    Really? They haven't even said anything.

19. 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
    Reason
    mistake

What a shame.

We have a family member like that- my sister's sister in law. I don't see her very much- but we always got a Christmas card from her. This year we didn't. I didn't think much of it until I was told by my sister that my family and my parents have been cut from her list. The reason? We drank too much at her (and my brother-in-law's) Dad's memorial. Grandpa passed away early December 2010 and was cremated. There was a memorial held at a local banquet hall- food, drinks, jazz, just what Grandpa would have wanted. When it was coming to a close, myself, my sister, bro in law, cousin and parents were in the bar- we had a few shots in memory of those that had passed. So for the whole day, I had a beer, and 2 or 3 shots. My hubby didn't have any. She's always not speaking to some member of the family for whatever reason.

Fuck her and the sanctimonious horse she rode in on. Life is too short.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

lobosco107 Guest
    I think Joan Fontaine is the more colder of the two sisters - always seemed aloof in movies:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...gest-feud.html

JudyAnn Guest
    I have a relationship like this with my own sister. Yes, it all began in childhood; she was two years younger and wanted to do everything I did. Totally normal. What is not normal is that as we got older, it became a downright competition, but a one-sided competition. It is like she is in a one-upmanship competition with herself - I really do not have a competitive bone in my body.

Yes - she cuts people off for seemingly weird reasons; excessive criticism of her/her family (criticism = not agreeing with everything she says/does/believes/all the time), being "negative" and/or "depressing" (sharing normal frustrations, stresses, complaining). If you do not blow sunshine up her ass with compliments, share her delusional world view and agree with everything she says all the time, she'll have nothing to do with you.

I understand the Joan-Olivia relationship. I do. No, the sisters will never reconcile and that is sad.

The two ladies are still alive, how cool.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Nelliebean Guest
    Joan Fontaine brought her pet into our hospital two years ago and she looked great.

deathhaghun Guest
    I love the both of them. Two ladies from anothe era. I loved watching Olivia in Robin Hood and Gone with the Wind. I also liked watching Joan in Rebecca. I too have a similiar relationship with my sister. We cannot be in the same room without fighting. To be honest thats why I moved out home.

Arky67 Guest

Happy Birthday, Olivia de Havilland, 97!

Olivia Mary de Havilland (born 1 July 1916) is a British American actress known for her early ingenue roles, as well as her later more substantial roles. Born in Japan to British parents, de Havilland and her younger sister Joan Fontaine (now 95) moved to California in 1919. She is best known for her performance in Gone with the Wind (1939), and her eight co-starring roles opposite Errol Flynn.

Melanie!! She sure has aged well. Happy Birthday!

Wow- she looks great! I'd love to spend an hour chatting with her.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Wow- she looks great! I'd love to spend an hour chatting with her.

Has anyone written her bio???

Bidmor Guest
    I didn't know Joan Fontaine is her sis! Longevity must run in their family.

Yes, I'd love to sit and ask questions a listen to anecdotes from those sisters.

I'll go out on a limb here. I betcha neither goes to the movies or watches much tv, except for maybe TCM.

radiojane Guest
    They stopped speaking in the 30's or something, I think I don't remember the deets.

She looks good for our age.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 07-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arky67 View Post

Olivia Mary de Havilland (born 1 July 1916) is a British American actress known for her early ingenue roles, as well as her later more substantial roles. Born in Japan to British parents, de Havilland and her younger sister Joan Fontaine (now 95) moved to California in 1919. She is best known for her performance in Gone with the Wind (1939), and her eight co-starring roles opposite Errol Flynn.
    Do a search before you create a new thread.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...cade-feud.html A Article From a few years ago ,it goes into the more than feud these two wonderful actresses have had,i like them both . Maybe the feud is whats keeping them both alive ?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    Who knows. My grandmother and her sister were the same way. The best thing I EVER read about this was that Olivia was always angry at Joan for stealing her thunder by being the "first" of the two to do certain things even though Joan was younger, like sex with a man, win an Oscar, and a bunch of petty stuff from their childhoods largely. Joan once cracked, "I'll probably die first, and Olivia will be angry at me for that, too."
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! Damn!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

ajlposh Guest

Seagorath Guest
    I love Joan Fontaine. She won FIRST.

Fuck you, Olivia. Anybody who goes through life with "Divine" or "Sir" before their name makes me sick.

Olivia is suing FX, btw she turns 101 next Saturday.

“Miss de Havilland was not asked by FX for permission to use her name and identity and was not compensated for such use,” de Havilland’s attorneys said in a statement. “Further, the FX series puts words in the mouth of Miss de Havilland which are inaccurate and contrary to the reputation she has built over an 80-year professional life, specifically refusing to engage in gossip mongering about other actors in order to generate media attention for herself.”

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/ryan-murphy...204445795.html
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    I love Joan Fontaine. She won FIRST.

Fuck you, Olivia. Anybody who goes through life with "Divine" or "Sir" before their name makes me sick.
    Why? The ones that have Sir before their name were knighted, Bette Middler calls herself the Divine Ms M, personally it doesn't bother me at all, which as Bette is spunky, that would be like saying people that are called Mr. Or Mrs would make you sick. I wish Joan and Olivia would have made amends, I don't remember seeing any of Joan's movies, will have to watch one, I loved Olivia in Gone With The Wind and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

I watched "Feud", and I don't recall thinking wow..Olivia was a bitch or "gossip monger" or anything like that. hmm. might have to watch again.

Yeah, Piggy I didn't think that either, never heard one bad or read one bad thing about Olivia.

Happy 104th to Olivia.

Happy Birthday Dame Olivia, 104 dang what is her secret.

Happy Birthday. I always liked Joan better, a no nonsense kind of a dame. Olivia always seemed a bit phony to me like Loretta Young.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Just seen a photo of her riding a bike in Paris.
    Glad to see she is still in good shape.