Thread: Teri Garr

Sphr798 Guest

Teri Garr

I was googling the other day and came across a picture of Teri Garr. Remember her? (my favorite character was Inga in Young Frankenstein)

The article stated that she has Multiple Sclerosis (and if that's not bad enough she has to have that asshole Phil standing behind her) and has had to sell her home because she can no longer work.

I was shocked and saddened. She has always been a funny lady with a great big talent. I wish her all the best.

Darrianne Guest
    Wow, that shocked me too. I had no idea.....

Snudgie Guest
    Oh no! I had no idea she was poorly...I think she's great....perfect casting as Phoebe's Mom in "Friends", Teri and Lisa Kudrow are so alike....wishing you well Teri, and sending you loads of good ju-ju! xxxx

There's another thread about her and apparently she had some sort of operation recently that got her out of the wheelchair.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Here she is in Fun in Acapulco.

So great in the Mel Brooks films and Mr. Mom. She is wonderful!

Jaxxx Guest
    she's older then I thought

Unhappy DAMN!

I was just thinking about her the other day! Poor woman.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    There's another thread about her and apparently she had some sort of operation recently that got her out of the wheelchair.
    Yeah I saw a teaser about an interview she did with ET or some other tabloid show & she was walking, saying people blackballed her when they found out she was sick.

Didn't I just hear she has a new movie coming out? I saw an interview with her over the weekend; I think it was on CNN.

onekindsistah Guest
    Garr back on her feet, back on the big screen

By Susan King
    Los Angeles Times
    Article Launched: 08/09/2008 12:03:52 AM PDT

When rumors started circulating in the late 1990s that she had multiple sclerosis, actress Teri Garr discovered a lot of Hollywood was afraid to even meet with her about potential acting gigs.

Although she managed to keep working, interviews went from rare to nonexistent for the popular comedic actress who was Oscar-nominated for "Tootsie."
    "When you hear the word 'disabled,' people immediately think about people who can't walk or talk or do everything that people take for granted," Garr said in a recent interview. "Now, I take nothing for granted. But I find the real disability is people who can't find joy in life and are bitter."

Garr, 63, is anything but depressed and bitter these days despite the fact she's had the chronic and often debilitating disease involving the central nervous system for the last 25 years — it was officially diagnosed in 1999 — and suffered a near-fatal brain aneurysm in December 2006. She's in several new movies, including "Expired,"
    Although the steroids she was taking for her MS caused the former dancer to put on weight, Garr has slimmed down considerably over the last year. There's just minimal movement in her right hand and she has a noticeable limp — but she is steady on her feet. And she's always cracking jokes — David Letterman called her "Shecky Garr" — a play on the name of nightclub comic Shecky Greene — when she was a guest recently on Letterman's show.

Garr credits a resistance trainer called NuStep (she now works with that company) and swimming for getting her back into shape after the aneurysm.
    "Before I moved here, I swam 27 laps a day," she says. "I think that's the answer to keep everything moving."

Before the aneurysm, Garr completed two indie films, "Expired," and "Kabluey," which opened recently.

In "Expired," she plays a dual role: the wheelchair-using stroke-victim mother of a shy meter maid (Samantha Morton), and her blowzy, trashy sister. And in "Kabluey" she plays an eccentric woman who takes out all of her aggressions on a young man (writer-director Scott Prendergast).

Garr might not be alive if not for her daughter, Molly, who couldn't wake her mother after Garr suffered the brain aneurysm two years ago.

Garr was in a coma for a week and in rehab for two months.

"I had to learn to walk again, talk again, think again," she says, then smiles. "I'm still working on that. But I'm not sure (thinking is) necessary in Hollywood. I went to physical therapy, occupational therapy, voice, every kind of therapy except mental therapy — obviously!"

Garr credits her mother, Phyllis, for her sunny outlook.

"She put two kids through school," Garr recalled. "I have one brother who is a surgeon, there's me, and my other brother builds boats. She was in wardrobe. She was a costumer at the studio. She would always say, 'We're still alive. ...'"

gemini33 Guest
    I had no clue she was even sick! I loved her in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Mr. Mom!

Terri has always been one of my "it" girls.

I see Terri and "it"...well,

Sexy, funny and smart.

I'm glad she is getting better.

I remember she appeared on the Tonight Show back in the 70's; might have been after the release of Young Frankenstein.

She was wearing a VERY sheer blouse, braless of course in the 70's (some fashions don't repeat often enough); and Johnny remarked, "I like your top...both of them!"

hoxharding Guest
    I have always liked her-I read her book, it was really good. Though Steve Martin should be ashamed of himself. She had a painting that is now worth alot-I mean alot!
    Years ago, Steve Martin manipulated her into giving the painting to him for 'safe keeping'
    Sounds like the man should give it back.

1karenhb Guest
    Teri appeared at a screening of Young Frankenstein about 3 years ago in Santa Monica after doing a book signing at a book store accross from the theater. She was very funny.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I remember seeing her on Letterman before she got so sick and she was just so funny and warm.

Stay strong, Teri!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    "You're getting candy from a man named Les?"

She's great, I wish she'd done more films, just great timing and facial expressions.

Seagorath Guest
    Teri is incredible and I certainly wish her the very best.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i love teri, i had no idea she was sick at all~ i loved her in "tootsie" & recently as the drunken aunt in "unaccompanied minors"

lisalouver Guest
    I knew she was ill, but I did not know she looked so bad. When was that pic taken?

erin Guest
    that pic must have been taken not long after the aneurysm. it seems to me that her ms is similar to that of my mother in law's, sort of the regressive type. i had no idea about the aneurysm and coma though. that can really mess a person up. good for her for getting back into the swing of life.