Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    Found a picture of the kid.

Are ya sure that's the kid and not just an average sized chinese male walking close to more-than-average sized chinese male Yao?

IrishBabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post

Equestrian
    Not only is it exploiting animals but the horse is doing all the work when all someone has to do is just sit on their ass! (May as well include TV watching and/or computer surfing.)
    IMO olympics should be all about the humans doing all the work.

No offense, but horses were made to run and jump, and those horses are treated better than most humans I know. And the riders don't just "sit there", there is a great deal of training and talent going into each event, and the horse and the rider are essentially one unit, working together. It's a beautiful, complicated and intense sport. Try getting a horse to do any of those jumps by just "sitting there" and see how it goes for ya.

My family has owned horses since before I was born, and I know exactly what goes into the training and care of the horses...they are like family, and not at all exploited.

That being said....badminton is NOT a sport.

gemini33 Guest
    Don't be so fast to bash badminton.... When my friends and family played we use to beat the crap out of the birdie and have to run all over the place to hit it.
    Honestly, I don't think gymnastics is really a sport. Yes, you need to be in shape and all that good stuff, but it's not much of a sport to me. That's just my opinion.

lab_rat Guest
    Shooting - guns only - not a sport. If they shot at each other that would be one thing, but not at inaminate objects or animals. I think archery is fine. I also think that those shooting events that they have to ski first in the Winter Olympics are fine.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBabe View Post
    No offense, but horses were made to run and jump, and those horses are treated better than most humans I know. And the riders don't just "sit there", there is a great deal of training and talent going into each event, and the horse and the rider are essentially one unit, working together. It's a beautiful, complicated and intense sport. Try getting a horse to do any of those jumps by just "sitting there" and see how it goes for ya.

My family has owned horses since before I was born, and I know exactly what goes into the training and care of the horses...they are like family, and not at all exploited.

Well said!!! It is indeed a "beautiful, complicated and intense sport". The relationship between man and horse is amazing! (No Pinyan Jokes Please!)

Have you ever heard of, or had the chance to see, the show Cavalia? Absolutely breathtaking!

Back to the Olympics... with all due respect to anyone I may offend... fuck Volleyball....

Synchronized Swimming.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Patience54 Guest
    I remember watching the 1994 Winter Olympics when Oksana Baiul won the Olympic gold medal for women's figure skating in Lillehammer, Norway. She beat Nancy Kerrigan, who won the silver metal.
    I remember the Jamaican Bobsled team debuting in the 1988 Calgary Olympics.

Pogo sticks.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelfie68 View Post
    don't forget Trampoline is an Olympic sport...............
    Are you fucking kidding me????

RaRaRamona Guest
    Curling!? ugh take it away

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Hey let's just remove all competition that Americans do not historically do well at!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

IrishBabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

Yep. Essentially a combo of shuffleboard/sweeping ice. Ridiculous.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBabe View Post

NO horses are not mistreated and it takes talen to control the horse and work it. I had 3 Polish Arabians and they take WORK. If you do not work a horse they get fat and out of shape. They like to run and roll in dirt too lol
    That is what they were born for lol

Noelle Page Guest
    Figure skaters----Janet Lynn stands out in my mind.

Boy am I dating my ass.

crazedfemale Guest
    1968 Winter Olympics - I was 6 years old - and I saw her...

The Winter Games just seem so much more fun (and yeah, I'm a figure skating nut, so that doesn't help) because people can just croak at any given moment! C'mon, don't you expect somebody to buy it every year in the Giant Slalom? Or luge? Or skeleton, for those crazy people who think doing the luge feet-first isn't scary enough, let's snap our heads off instead if we crash? Okay, maybe I'm the only one who watches the Olympics hoping somebody will end up chin-first on the ice, like that poor German Ice Dancing woman.

If you're going to do archery, do it like the Biathalon in the Winter Games! Make them run around until they're exhausted, and _then_ shoot the stupid target! Those Biathalon dudes and dudettes have to cross country ski their asses off before they shoot!! What's this standing still stuff?

Okay, that's my rant on the subject. Of course, we could get our jollies out of seeing how many of the platform divers have near misses.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Synchronized Diving... Oh brother.... Why not synchronized judo while shooting arrows through the water and up onto a ping pong table with the ball being thrust into the air while you mutually yell "pull", lock limbs, bounce back upon a trampoline and catch a volley ball between your thighs.... now THAT I would like to see....

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Synchronized Swimming.
    More like Synchronized Drowning.

Golf should be included.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Dying Breath Guest
    Popping someones pimple on their back should be left at home...not for distance

New category-give all women with PMS and pre or post-menopausal hormonal issues some guns. Then, let them fire at annoying TV announcers or any other idiots who have an idea to stab people.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Something that should not be in the Olympics is all that damn smog hanging over Bejing

Wonder what the respiratory illness rate is is over there.....

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I'd like to see Hulk Hogan wrestle...a Kodiak Grizzly Bear

xenaswolf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    New category-give all women with PMS and pre or post-menopausal hormonal issues some guns. Then, let them fire at annoying TV announcers or any other idiots who have an idea to stab people.

Sounds like my kind of sport!

Take a look at this list of Olympic sports and feel free to mention what you think doesn't belong

Equestrian
    Not only is it exploiting animals but the horse is doing all the work when all someone has to do is just sit on their ass! (May as well include TV watching and/or computer surfing.)
    IMO olympics should be all about the humans doing all the work.

i wondered about this too, but the rider is really the technician behind the horse's moves, the horse follows his rider's movements, rein work, words, etc..
    pull the string!

Noelle Page Guest
    Peggy was a beauty. A real lady. Hmmm, gotta go google her now.

crazedfemale Guest
    Our lovely Peggy turned 60 last month!

crazedfemale Guest
    BMX Stuff...

I heard today where ballroom dancing is close to being a sport at the Olympics...

Let's add Pogo Stick Jumping!

Xtine Guest
    trampoline? seriously?

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    belching

no thats redneck olympics

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Hey John Trim, ya hear that?

Sorry! All those first-thing-in-the-morning-daily-constitutionals-with-the-newspaper "practice curls" were for naught.

time to find a new sport!

puddles Guest
    syncronized masturbating!!!!!

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    Will somebody please tell Bob Costas to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!
    Better yet, in keeping with the spirit of this board, somebody please KILL HIM NOW!
    LMAO last night he interviewd George Dubya and you could tell that Dub was getting antsy with all the Q and A....then when Costas asked 'so, are you going to any more events?', Dubya said 'well, if you'll let me off the set I'm going to watch swimming'.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtine View Post
    trampoline? seriously?

We won a gold medal in that, last time out. Seriously. And we admitted it openly
    I think it's been removed. Trampolines are for kids in the back yard.

Beach volleyball is fun to watch but for all the wrong reasons . It really should be dropped.

How about an event where people light things on fire?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    Ping-Pong is a sport?? Oh, I'm sorry ...... I mean 'Table Tennis'? When was the last time anyone broke a sweat playing Ping-Pong?

Quote Originally Posted by Curl_up_N_dye View Post
    Ping-Pong is a sport?? Oh, I'm sorry ...... I mean 'Table Tennis'? When was the last time anyone broke a sweat playing Ping-Pong?
    Forrest Gump?

Lol

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I'm for total inclusion, it's not like they get money for winning. Most stuff isn't anywhere near as easy as it looks once you try it yourself, particularly to be the best in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I'm for total inclusion, it's not like they get money for winning. Most stuff isn't anywhere near as easy as it looks once you try it yourself, particularly to be the best in the world.
    I see your point, but is there anything really redeeming about being the best trampoline jumper in the world? How do you even judge something like that?

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I see your point, but is there anything really redeeming about being the best trampoline jumper in the world? How do you even judge something like that?
    I just remember my parents telling me I couldn't get on any neighbor's trampoline because it was too dangerous. I guess doing flips and routines is hard to do and takes some work. I hope people aren't getting medals for just jumping up and down!

Curl_up_N_dye Guest

Unless you're talking about naked trampoline-ing.

Thank brings up some interesting visuals ..... for both the men and for the women ......

Gymnastics Artistic and Gymnastics Rhythmic...

Obviously for those of us with not enough upper arm strength to do the uneven bars, or enough grace and balance to stick to the balance beam!!!

I don't get this. Pay to watch girls run around with flowing pieces of cloth (that most trip over) or throw a ball into the air while twirling????

NEXT......

Morbidly Obese Pole Vaulting, and Amputee gymnastics!
    pull the string!

Auntie Vi Guest

(snip) How do you even judge something like that?
    Count *boings*?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

pattykad Guest
    Gymnastics isn't a sport? Those people are built like brick shithouses
    and are incredible freaking athletes. I cannot believe what they can
    do in their tumbling rountines. Stationary rings? Holy crap! Try
    that sometime!

deathybrad Guest
    I couldn't give a shit less about gymnastics.

Why isn't street luge an olympic sport?

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    I couldn't give a shit less about gymnastics.

Why isn't street luge an olympic sport?
    They seem to dump stuff like street luge into the "Extreme Sports" category, so the mainstream Olympics shuns it, although with all the freestyle skiing now included in the Winter Olympics, maybe that will change.

The Extreme Sports competitions are cool! I watched a street luge competition in Providence, RI a few years ago, when it was just starting to get international recognition. That was so fun to watch. I was right behind a barricade on a corner, and was half-hoping a few people would wipe out right there! There were some near-misses, but no big spills, sadly. Sadly for me, good for the competitors, I guess.

majcm Guest
    I got hooked on the Olympics in '72 when I saw Olga Korbut. Boy, did I want to be able to do that!

It's funny, I remember that so well, but don't remember anything about the terrorists at Munich. I guess since I was 10 my parents kept me away from that part. I've seen a lot on it since and it was such a tragedy. One of the coaches from Israel even had told his wife that he went up to an Arab (forgot which country) coach and shook hands and talked a bit on the first day there. The wife was like, "How could you do that? Weren't you afraid of him?" And the Israeli coach told her, "This is what the Olympics are about. Those things don't matter here." A few days later he was dead. So sad....

I am watching the Trampoline competitions! Where's Dennis (DJ DeathHag ya'll!)?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.