Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

mcconk2 Guest
    [quote=midnitelamp;357603]tommie smith and john carlos heads bowed with black gloved fists in air.

munich 72.

[quote]

don't forget Peter Norman the Aussie in the middle wearing a badge that supported them

mcconk2 Guest
    Kieran Perkins 1500 metre freestyle final in 1996, he qualified by point 01 of a second, was in lane 8, and won in a world record.

SilverAndCold Guest
    The slaughter of the Israeli team at the 72 Olympics is something I'll never forget

Bruce Jenner winning the Marathon

The women's soccer team winning gold

Ben Johnson testing positive for anabolic steroids and being stripped of his gold medal. As if he was the only one!

cherryghost Guest
    Living in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics, it was not a huge deal really!
    Im not a big fan of spectator sports. Australia is Olympics and sport mad!
    I didnt even feel the need to see the equestrian events! Sydney was okay and it all went very smoothly!
    Our swimmers will be carrying the country as usual!
    Id rather play than watch and Im not interested in watching LOL!
    Beijing holds no interest to me at all! Sorry!
    Im more about the Arts but thats just me!

VSA Guest
    Undoubtedly, Tonya Harding and of course Ben Johnson.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I remember all the ambulances and the sirens and the sea of people that were scared outta their minds. The Olympics in Atlanta 96 were da bomb!!
    Yes, I remember that very well .. I had just graduated HS when the Olympics came to Atlanta .. that night the bomb went off, I was out clubbing with friends and as soon as word got around, our pagers were going crazy with parents and friends trying to make sure we were okay, etc .. but I loved having the Olympics here in Atlanta .. there was so much to do and see .. made my summer a little more exciting!!

panda Guest
    Kerri Strug's vault in 1996 that lead to gold for the US women's gymnastics team. Landing that final vault perfectly on one foot because she was suffering from a severe lateral sprain and tendon damage in the other ankle. She landed that vault perfectly, saluted the judges turned by hopping to acknowledge the audience, then and only then did she collapse in agony. That kind of dedication is astounding, what a brave little girl.

Oh yeah, and ANY routine by Nadia Comaneci is memorable. I remember watching her perfect 10 routine in 1976, absolutely beautiful! She had her own style to say the least, some of the moves she created were unreal! She is so amazing, 5 olympic golds & the first gymnist to ever score a perfect 10 in olympic gymnastics!

MorbidMolly Guest
    hmmmmmm.......I guess what I remember is I couldn`t wait for them to begin......I remember watching them every free minute I had, and not having to pay for certain events at certain times.......I remember it being about sports and competition, not Maxi Pads and Tampon ads splashed all over every inch of available space to pay for the stadiums.....I remember the Winter & Summer games taking place in the same years, not one every 2 years so they could milk it for more money and promotions.......I remember feeeling proud that I was a part of such a great country.......to some respect, you might say I have NO respect for some of todays athletes......you might say I`ll hold on to the memories of the good ole days, when to some extent, it was more about the Journey, not the money.......

harlequin_clown Guest

Elvis Stojko and his tight tight tight ass

Curl_up_N_dye Guest

The Olympics

I received this in an email today. Enjoy

[SIZE=4]Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators so far during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]1. Weightlifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]7. At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]8. Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field.'[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]9. Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?' [/SIZE]

Forever-27 Guest
    Yep, im watching the demonstraitors gather as I type this. In april they hung free tibet banners across the Golden gate , christ sake, the olympic committe may as well have given the games to North Korea or Cuba. Never give the games to a country with such gross human rights violations.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I would rather pluck out my eyelashes...Funny comments though...

mel306 Guest
    Watching now and the drumming open sequence is pretty amazing.

Bob Costas is annoying me though.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...I would rather pluck out my eyelashes...Funny comments though...
    Yea the kewl part is watching people being stupid with their protests. The games themselves bore me to tears. Ive never been able to actually sit through any of the events or opening / closing cerimones

mel306 Guest
    The opening ceremonies just ended and they were sooooo good. The way they lit the torch was fantastic. They are saying it was the best ceremony ever.

Yao Ming walked in with the cutest kid. The boy is 9 and he survived the earthquake a few months back and rescued two of his class mates because he thought he needed to as the hall monitor.

Yao Ming spoke pretty good english too in an interview. He was holding the kid and when he finished, the kid said thank you very much in perfect english. It was so cute.

Kugmu Guest
    Will somebody please tell Bob Costas to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!
    Better yet, in keeping with the spirit of this board, somebody please KILL HIM NOW!

mel306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    Better yet, in keeping with the spirit of this board, somebody please KILL HIM NOW!

Yeah he does over talk everyone. The only thing I wanted to hear was how many more countries to the US.

**Jenna** Guest
    I don't watch the Olympics,they make me want to claw my eyes out! I did however watch a bunch of puppies playing around and stuff on the animal planet

mel306 Guest
    Found a picture of the kid.

I thought the opening ceremonies were regal. I loved it.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

evilsonic9999 Guest
    Lol, i wanna see how London gonna top this one.

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    I don't watch the Olympics,they make me want to claw my eyes out! I did however watch a bunch of puppies playing around and stuff on the animal planet
    I watched the Puppy Games too! It was so relaxing. I might check to see if they are still on...

Karnag72 Guest
    I kept switching between the Puppy Games and the Olympics...I must say the Chinese put on an amazing opening ceremony. Those drummers were the shit!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kugmu View Post
    Kugmu--I sooooo agree! He has one big-ass PIE HOLE going on ...

I do have to add a general comment that the Chinese really kicked ass on their opening ceremonies, I've never seen anything like it...but Bob's gotta shut that gob.

Did anyone else catch the shot of our fearless leader slouched down in his chair, legs splayed, piece of paper rolled up in his hand, looking extremely bored? He was a fine representation of the U.S.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Did anyone else catch the shot of our fearless leader slouched down in his chair, legs splayed, piece of paper rolled up in his hand, looking extremely bored? He was a fine representation of the U.S.
    ...he was praying for a beer, it was obvious...and Laura looked positively "well done," it must have been hotter than hell in there!

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I watched the Puppy Games too! It was so relaxing. I might check to see if they are still on...
    Those puppies were so adorable! And the cats too! I love watching the puppy bowl too!

29. 08-09-2008, 12:11 PM

30. 08-09-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm with ya...BFD. Could careless about them Olympics...

Seagorath Guest

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post

WOW...Laura looks happy...Betcha he's got his hand on her booty...Bet she's glad its not Dubyas...

WOW...Laura looks happy...Betcha he's got his hand on her booty...Bet she's glad its not Dubyas...
    Kobe better be careful, those white women are nothing but trouble for him!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Kobe better be careful, those white women are nothing but trouble for him!
    He's got a set of brass basooms dont he?

pvezz Guest
    Michael won his first gold last night. Who thinks he's gonna win 8?

GrinReaper Guest

Things that should NOT be in the olympics

Take a look at this list of Olympic sports and feel free to mention what you think doesn't belong

Archery
    Athletics
    Badminton
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Beach Volleyball
    Boxing
    Canoe/Kayak Flatwater
    Canoe/Kayak Slalom
    Cycling BMX
    Cycling Mountain Bike
    Cycling Road
    Cycling Track
    Diving
    Equestrian
    Fencing
    Football
    Gymnastics Artistic
    Gymnastics Rhythmic
    Trampoline
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Modern Pentathlon
    Rowing
    Sailing
    Shooting
    Softball
    Swimming
    Synchronized Swimming
    Table Tennis
    Taekwondo
    Tennis
    Triathlon
    Volleyball
    Water Polo
    Weightlifting
    Wrestling

Equestrian
    Not only is it exploiting animals but the horse is doing all the work when all someone has to do is just sit on their ass! (May as well include TV watching and/or computer surfing.)
    IMO olympics should be all about the humans doing all the work.

Shooting
    Again, no work. Just point, aim and shoot.
    Sure it takes skill, but there's no athletics involved at all. Same with:
    Archery

Boxing
    Encourages violence. Then again it fits in perfectly with China and the U.S.A. and other countries where violence is the norm.

Seagorath Guest
    Stabbing

ceege Guest
    amen

Auntie Vi Guest
    Badminton --why go all the way to China, let's play out in Uncle Bill and Aunt judy's yard

lisalouver Guest
    The Miracle on Ice.

There is nothing to this date that has ever beaten that feeling. I was in grade school.

Herb Brooks and many of the young men were from right here. RIP Herb and thanks to all those boys (now long men) for making dreams come true.

xenaswolf Guest
    So that would leave what? Track and Field and swimming?

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I'd like to see:

Nude Lion Taming
    Jousting with steroid enhanced equines
    Women's Spaghetti Wrestling
    Shooting for the Visually Impaired

Seagorath Guest
    Don't forget "Feces Tossing"...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    I'd like to see:

Nude Lion Taming
    Jousting with steroid enhanced equines
    Women's Spaghetti Wrestling
    Shooting for the Visually Impaired

GAdeathhag Guest
    my husband wants naked swimming

mandee1005 Guest
    My memory isn't really an olympic event itself but in 1996 the torch came through our city. My mom and I were standing on the corner waiting for it to come by (along with everyone else in our city.) I then turned to my mom looked up and said, " do you think they have any snipers on top of these buildings?" Which caused everyone in our immediate area to look up. We busted out laughing

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Nadia's perfect 10.

Kerry Skrugs (sp?) doing the vault on a bad ankle and Bela Karolyi carrying her off.

Mary Lou Retton; awesome.

Can ya tell I like the gymnastics?
    That's my favorite sport to watch from the Olympics. The one I remember the most was the 92 Olympics where I felt Shannon Miller was robbed of the gold. Tatiana Gutsu was great but that vault that Shannon did was shear perfect. I remember being all bummed out that she lost. I think I was like 10 at the time lol. That was my first Olympics that I actually watched!

Ok, I'm trying to remember the name of that swimmer who learned how to swim 9 months prior to the Olympics. He was not an Olympic swimmer but was representing his country proudly. I remember that everyone was cheering him as he was the last one in the pool trying to finish. Please, someone tell me the name of this swimmer of if there's a yutube out there for it????

[quote=mcconk2;358653][quote=midnitelamp;357603]tommie smith and john carlos heads bowed with black gloved fists in air.

munich 72.

don't forget Peter Norman the Aussie in the middle wearing a badge that supported them
    there was a riot going on non-stop in the streets of mexico city through that whole olympics that got little coverage at the time. th mexican army shot down 300 protesters 10 days before the games began.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 08-10-2008 at 02:57 PM.

belching
    pull the string!

GAdeathhag Guest
    dont forget about the 'lift your leg and fart"

though I dont think equestrian belongs
    Last edited by GAdeathhag; 08-10-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Kobe Bryant.

don't forget Trampoline is an Olympic sport...............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Nobody can hurt me without my permission"-Ghandi

Kevin - I mean, what's saving lives if there's no one to make out with?
    Daria - I believe Gandhi asked that same question.
    Jane - It's why he had to be eliminated.