Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympics

The Olympics

I always snicker when I think of little knee-bashing ice skaters. Even tho I was sorry it happened to Nancy Kerrigan. Glad she wasn't hurt worse. It could have been the end of the career that she trained so hard for. I really remember the excitement of Mark Spitz. (major crush then) He still looks good today, too. And Munich was unimagineable. Olga Korbut. She was super.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I remember all the ambulances and the sirens and the sea of people that were scared outta their minds. The Olympics in Atlanta 96 were da bomb!!

I lived next door to an Olympian several years ago - Tiffany Scott & Philip Dulebon were pairs skaters. They won the US championship but didn't medal in the Olympics. She was very sweet. It was great fun to watch her - we took her flowers when she came home. We have a lot of skaters in our town - lots of them train at the University of Delaware.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I remember all the ambulances and the sirens and the sea of people that were scared outta their minds. The Olympics in Atlanta 96 were da bomb!!
    Ditto.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

pvezz Guest
    Nadia's perfect 10.

Kerry Skrugs (sp?) doing the vault on a bad ankle and Bela Karolyi carrying her off.

Mary Lou Retton; awesome.

Can ya tell I like the gymnastics?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post

Wasn't a woman killed? And remember Richard Jewell? Saved a buncha people from getting maimed and killed, but was thought to be responsible at first. He died recently, I think.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    The games of '84 in Los Angeles. I was fortunate to have attended quite a few of the events.

Seagorath Guest
    I enjoyed watching Nigeria beat Argentina for the soccer gold in 1996.

pvezz Guest
    How could I have neglected 1980's "Miracle on Ice" when USA Hockey won gold over the USSR???

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Wasn't a woman killed? And remember Richard Jewell? Saved a buncha people from getting maimed and killed, but was thought to be responsible at first. He died recently, I think.
    Correct on all counts.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

hollywoodsaint Guest
    1984, i was 10 years old. The whole family was gathered around the TV and Mary Lou nailed her landing and became America's Sweetheart. That was a magical moment and made me a fan of the Olympics.

I remember watching MaryLou nail her landing but I was in a hospital waiting room barfing my guts up.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Dying Breath Guest
    I was at the games when Mary Decker and Zola Budd(sp) ... locked up... people were booing their asses off.. I just sat there cause I thought Mary fooked up....

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I remember watching MaryLou nail her landing but I was in a hospital waiting room barfing my guts up.
    What happened to you?

Forever-27 Guest
    The olympics bore me to tears. So on the news I remember seeing then whole tonya harding thing unfold. ESPN was showing the clips of her skating thing at the 94 games.

Then she got into some celeb wrestling tour after they banned her. by the time it got here she decided not to participate. thats the best post olympic job anyone from the games ever went into. Other then that, I dont watch the games.

Ken Guest
    Olympics blow IMO, why watch amateurs when we have plenty of pros.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    What happened to you?
    I had the flu. Dehydrated as hell couldnt keep anything down.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

stephenmiller Guest
    Anyone remember the Olympics on ABC forty years ago from Mexico City?

Oh I vaguely remember Nadia Comeneche (I dont know how to spell her name) in the 1976 olympics.

I vividly remember Franz Klammer's Gold run in the '76 Winter Olympics. Absolutely breath taking.

I remember asking my parents why the police didn't just shoot the masked terrorist outside on the Israeli weightlifting team's balcony. They had to explain to me that the other terrorists inside the room would kill all of the Israelis in return.

I remember the "Do you believe in miracles" USA hockey win. Nothing but heart. God bless those boys.

I remember Mark Spitz winning 7 golds.

I remember the fiasco of the US vs USSR basketball final in '72, where the kept adding time to the clock until the Russians won.

I remember the disgraceful judging in the Roy Jones Jr. vs Park Si-Hun fight in Seoul '88.

I remember Eddie the Eagle in Calgary, '88. Huge fucking balls. No talent but huge fucking balls.

TIFN

Mark Spitz was yummy.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Mark Spitz was yummy.
    Ich you read my mind. Bruce Jenner too (then, NOT now).

Cathy J. Guest
    I remember the boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics !! However mainy because of NBC. For the longest time they promoted themselves as the Olympic netowrk which is what they do now. But in 1980 when the US boycotted the Moscow games, NBC had NOTHING to air.

So intsead of the Olympics we got "Speak Up America" instead.

smooches27 Guest
    Seoul 1988 when Greg Louganis hit his head on the diving board.

Not for any athletic accomplishments, but for me the single most memorable Olympic happening was the 2000 closing ceremonies in Sidney. It was like one enormous gay rave-absolutely funny. You had drag queens, dancing shrimp, a big silver bus a la Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Kylie Minogue singing ABBA and dance mixes of her songs, a lot of other Australian musical performers (all rock, Midnight Oil, INXS, etc.), Men at Work singing a "Club Remix" of "Down Under," twirling gigantic high-heeled shoes-I could go on and on. I doubt Busby Berkeley could have staged anything more fantastic.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg King View Post
    Not for any athletic accomplishments, but for me the single most memorable Olympic happening was the 2000 closing ceremonies in Sidney. It was like one enormous gay rave-absolutely funny. You had drag queens, dancing shrimp, a big silver bus a la Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Kylie Minogue singing ABBA and dance mixes of her songs, a lot of other Australian musical performers (all rock, Midnight Oil, INXS, etc.), Men at Work singing a "Club Remix" of "Down Under," twirling gigantic high-heeled shoes-I could go on and on. I doubt Busby Berkeley could have staged anything more fantastic.
    Loved it.

RocketQueen Guest
    The special olympics means alot more to me! Really, can bring tears to my eyes.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I remember cereal boxes and not much more

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Loved it.
    They were good! I loved the lawn mowers, too funny. Bloody Australians! It was sooo Sydney though!

Also at those Olympics for me was the win by Cathy Freeman, as usual I cried, it was so good that she won. The build up she had going into that final was huge and she won so easily in her salalalalinky outfit.

BUT one of the best Gold Medal wins I have EVER witnessed was Steven Bradbury in the speed skating, where they all fell over except for him as he was last, and he cruised past everyone to take the gold! The scramble for silver was crazy!

Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQMJtilOGg

THAT was the BEST!! HE is an absolute CHAMP!

That the female gymnasts always looked so unisex to me. Gymnasts and Racing jockeys...
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Guest Guest
    I love the summer Olympics...... but my favorite is indoor volleyball......I played varsity and I love watching...... for my hubby it's wrestling and the weight lifting....for my boys any of the tumbling or the rings

I love the olympics. I watch sports I normally don't care about. I remember watching curling for the first time during the winter olympics. That something as silly as that, becomes an olympic sport is absolutely fascinating to me.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

BooMom Guest
    Gymnastics - esp the Men's rings and uneven bars competitions are my faves. The strength required for some of those moves is AMAZING!

I clearly remember Nadia Cominiche (sp) winning the gold in '76, but I have to admit that I was caught up in the Mary Lou retton craze in '84, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Nadia's 10s.
    Dorothy Hamill's wedge
    Mary Lou Retton
    And Jennifer Capriati upsetting Steffi Graf in the gold medal round in Barcelona in '92, Jennifer was only 16 and while usually gracious in defeat, Steffi looked PISSED OFF during the ceremony.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    What I remember the most is how boring the last Summer and Winter Olympics were! Wouldn't it have been great if the Olympics were during last year's TV writers strike? Then they probably would've gotten the highest TV ratings, since the U.S. versus Russia Olympic hockey game!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Auntie Vi Guest
    The summer olympics are a big thing with me. It's the only sports I watch. "72 is when I got started. We lived in a little hick community called Merigold Mississippi and we only got 1 tv station, ABC out of Greenwood/Greenville MS. It was the Olympics or nuthin' that summer.
    The Olympics of '96, I was pregnant and I had the baby during the Olympics. I wanted to have her middle name Olympia, but my husband refused. Those two stick out in my mind the most
    The last Olympics, I got all caught up in that "Paul Hamm gold medal" business. I think he did right by keeping it.

That here in Canada for the Montreal summer Olympics of 1976
    we were the only host Country never to win a gold medal.

Nadia's perfect 10.

Kerry Skrugs (sp?) doing the vault on a bad ankle and Bela Karolyi carrying her off.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone!!! I was going to post the exact same thing. Those two women still stick in my mind as well as some of the best Olympic moments!!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Nadia's perfect 10.

I don't remember if this was in 1976 or 1984, but during a decathalon or some long race, there was a woman with severe diarrhea. She wouldn't give up and ran, with poop running down her leg.

Armcast Guest
    Jeff Gillooly. Not for what he did really, but his name really made me laugh.

I didn't watch 1 minute of the past two Olympics and won't be watching this one. Half of them are jacked up on junk.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Tara Lipinski skated in the 98 winter olympics I believe and she was from where I live so everyone made a big deal over her winning the gold. But I found out she's a stuck up bitch and thinks shes soooo great so I don't like her

JGrier Guest
    Mary Lou Retton's fine ass

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Womens Beach Volleyball

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrier View Post
    Mary Lou Retton's fine ass
    and that McDonalds commerical she did afterwards LOL

and speaking of McDonalds...they had some kind of promotion during the 1984 Olympics where whenever the US would win some event...FREE FOOD !! Of course The Russians boycotted that event and the US racked up many of metals...so millions got free Micky Ds food.

I believe McDonalds lost a lot of money over that LOL

tommie smith and john carlos heads bowed with black gloved fists in air.

bob beamons long jump same year.

munich 72.

i have'nt paid much attention lately,they are pretty much a swindle.

Hag1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I didn't watch 1 minute of the past two Olympics and won't be watching this one. Half of them are jacked up on junk.

Well said. I quit watching it.

49. 08-02-2008, 08:05 PM

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    I love the olympics. I watch sports I normally don't care about. I remember watching curling for the first time during the winter olympics. That something as silly as that, becomes an olympic sport is absolutely fascinating to me.
    Yeah. Agreed.
    And biathalon. Who came up with the idea of combining skiing and shooting? Now shooting at skiers, that could get interesting and increase the ratings.
    And don't they have badmiton and ping pong also part of the summer games? Is there a list anywhere showing every event that they play?

kimmer927 Guest
    Wow I'm old, so I remember Mark Spitz also, Nadia and wanting to win a "10" in anything, Mary Lou was so cool and they were in LA and I was so jealous I wasn't.
    Gotta admit, I was in Jr.High and Dorothy Hammil was the Sh*t. Yep, had a haircut just like her and used the shampoo and conditioner of hers. Then switched to "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific"!

I'm a goon