Thread: Has there ever been a movie that really changed you?

onehunglow Guest

Has there ever been a movie that really changed you?

Sophie's Choice was done in 82. My wife wanted to see it. I went thinking "chick flick". I haved thought about that movie everyday since. I used that movie to teach my kids when they were young about the impact of slavery. One time my daughter was being a wise ass about a history assignment on the Civil War and said something like `big deal`. I asked her if she had to save her mother or me and she had to pick one or we would both be killed "which one of us dies?" She couldn't answer. Lesson learned.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    im not sure why but the CITY OF GOD changed my life, at least impacted it in some way it wasnt like Sophies Choice, i dont know exactly how to word it. my mind and my views broadened.

vintagesole Guest
    Mommie Dearest really make me realize that I do not want kids.

RoRo Guest
    The Holocaust got to me..I remember we got to watch it at school in the library when I was in jr high

poppie Guest
    FATAL ATTRACTION scared the crap out of me. If I was the cheating type, that movie changed my mind. Glenn Close was a true nutcase.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I pick "Roots" as the one that taught me the most, and I guess that is a change. It educated me about Africa and the African people.

Stupidly, I admit, my image of Africa had been affected too much by Tarzan movies. Africans of old, and some in modern time were ignorant jungle dwellers. No purpose but fighting.

I knew better from studying, but my overall image of them was erroneous. Then I saw the village on "Roots" and how they behaved. The way they led a normal daily life. The feelings they had.

"Well Hell yeah they had feelings, you idiot." I said to myself.

Seeing those people being stolen, and taken to "civilization" made me realize something I haven't forgotten.

Civilization doesn't start with roads, or brick buildings, or inventions, or even laws. It starts with being civilized. It's rooted in dignity, and mutual respect.

Once I learned that lesson, and had a more enlightened look at Africa, I looked at our continent differently too.

hollywoodsaint Guest
    "Dead Poets Society" seemed like a revelation to me as a teenager. Saw it twice with my best friends and we started our own "society." ... Haven't seen it in years, but I think I'd still like the message about questioning authority and looking at things in a different way.

ghoulgurl Guest
    Roots captured my interest in genealogy and ultimately, research. Ferris Bueller's Day Off taught me to try and have a healthy attitude toward life-- it's short so be cool and get away with what you can as long as you don't hurt others.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Braveheart.....walked around in a daze for days after seeing it.....I can`t explain it and won`t even try, but for me it hit me on such a deep level......perhaps I lived it, who knows.....I intend to be cremated with a copy of it....yes, that movie means that much to me

RubySlippers Guest
    my husband MADE me watch SAving Private Ryan. to tell you the truth, i went because i loved him. not because i thought i'd enjoy it in any way. i must say it is one omy favorite movies ever. we own it. we also own Band of Brothers and the PBS series The War. i don't even know of any family who were involved in WWII.

sitting in a theater with vets sniffling and looking stoic really gets ya. it really does. and it seems so cliche to say i am a WWII freak, i mean, who isn't? but i am totally envolved with it and when people ask me where i would like to travel to, i answer Europe, not to see the regular tourist attractions, but to walk Normandy and so many other hallowed parts of that part of Earth.

hoxharding Guest
    Clueless really helped me realize who I am today.(joke)

Irishlass Guest
    Schindler's list....

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    Schindler's list....
    Excellant choice....very powerful movie

onehunglow Guest

People need to know

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    my husband MADE me watch SAving Private Ryan. to tell you the truth, i went because i loved him. not because i thought i'd enjoy it in any way. i must say it is one omy favorite movies ever. we own it. we also own Band of Brothers and the PBS series The War. i don't even know of any family who were involved in WWII.

sitting in a theater with vets sniffling and looking stoic really gets ya. it really does. and it seems so cliche to say i am a WWII freak, i mean, who isn't? but i am totally envolved with it and when people ask me where i would like to travel to, i answer Europe, not to see the regular tourist attractions, but to walk Normandy and so many other hallowed parts of that part of Earth.
    I went because it was not my war and I thought I'd do OK. The sounds of machine guns hitting the tank barriers hit me like bricks and I left with a full panic attack. The visual I was OK with but the sounds........OK time for some Jack Daniels.

I would have to say Sicko really bothered me. As a person with chronic health problems, America could be doing a better job of taking care of those who don't have insurance. Just sayin'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post

Whenever I get annoyed with stories about stars driving drunk, who just got arrested or who is dating who in Hollywood... I think about movies like "Saving Private Ryan". It reminds me why movies are so important, magical and powerful. It doesn't always seem like people in entertainment have very meaningful jobs- but in a movie like SPR, guys like Hanks, Spielberg, Damon, etc gave a voice to a generation of soldiers whose stories wouldn't have otherwise been told- at least not as well, or to as many millions of people. I was in my early 20s when SPR came out, and didn't know a whole lot about WWII going in- 2 1/2 hrs later I came out with a whole new respect for what my Grandfather did. That a movie can do that is, to me, amazing. If we can just have one Saving Private Ryan for every 50 "Dude Where's My Car?"'s-- I think we'll be doing OK.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Twighlight of the Golds has proven to have an impact on my life. It raises questions that we might rather not know how many folks would answer. If you have not seen it & have issues of "nature vs. nurture" or are rabidly homophobic.....please watch this movie.

The Bridges of Madison County

Harold & Maude. It's The_Shit!

atlantis Guest
    The Matrix validated a lot of things that, for the most part, I already believed. Everything about it resonates with every part of me. It's very powerful. It puts the truth right there in front of you. And the truth really depends on which pill you take (which choices you make), the red one or the blue one

Morrissey Guest
    The Brown Bunny.

...I had to change my underwear.

Sorry, I needed to make a dumb joke to try and cheer myself up.

RoRo Guest
    Saving Private Ryan is an awesome movie that everyone should see...some vets have said the only thing missing in that movie is the smell....something to think about and since so many vets are dying each day the stories will soon be lost forever...yeah I'm big into WWII

Hands down...American History X. I sat threw the credits with my mouth hanging open. I couldn't even discuss the movie till the next day. I bought it and made each of my children watch it. With all the racial tension in todays world, it is an eyeopener. If you have not seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

deathybrad Guest
    I watched Fahrenheit 9/11 in the theater when it opened in Duvall County, Florida (Jacksonville). It was without a doubt the most molding and lifechanging experience I've ever been through.

Guest Guest
    Pay it forward got me big time.....and realized it really is something that should take place. Since the movie came out you hear alot of people say " Just pay it foward "

Brokeback Mountain

Chevyheaven Guest
    American Beauty. I always thought the way the main character in this show did.
    It was refreshing to see other people sharing the same viewpoint about todays society and the perfect family.

American History X and Pay it forward where great movies as well. I love movies that make you think.

Schindler's List.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Chascsq Guest
    Francis of Asissi..saw it as a kid in Catholic school, and didn't pay attention then, but saw it again on AMC last year. He gave up a life of luxury, and beautiful women to live in complete poverty, and a build a church for God. Made me realize what little contribution to society I've made, and made me realize anyone is capable of change.

Schindler's list got to me too, especially when they gathered all the gold they could, and made him a ring.

LadyCurry Guest
    Schindler's list got to me too, especially when they gathered all the gold they could, and made him a ring.[/quote]

Me too. Schindler's List is a wonderful movie that has made a huge impact on my life.

The Passion of the Christ by far is the only movie that I have ever cried through the entire thing and six hours after it was over.

Another movie was Bridges of Madison County. It may be kind of lame to some extent, however, the conflict between devotion and a woman's heart is amazing and is a powerful lesson.

Now Voyager.. story of a woman who came back from a mother's tyranny, resulting mental illness, and then to full life and the love of a man...
    pull the string!

Guest Guest
    harold and maude
    I tried becoming a friend on Bud Cort's myspace, but was never accepted, poo,
    I bet Ruth would'a accpeted me!

Maruz83 Guest
    Children of Men... it really makes you think about life in the umm near future....

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I would have to say Sicko really bothered me. As a person with chronic health problems, America could be doing a better job of taking care of those who don't have insurance. Just sayin'.
    Yes, I agree with you there. Ironically, I watched that movie two days before my sis in law was diagnosed with her brain tumor, and she has no health insurance. Thankfully, things have worked out for her, but I know there are plenty of people out there for whom things don't work out. My dad can't retire because he and my mother can't afford health care.

Back OT, I walked around for several weeks in a black fog of depression after watching "City of Angels." The ending hit me like a ton of bricks.

The "Illusionist" also has changed me. I was never and Edward Norton fan, but I was so impressed with him and his performance, and realized that there are excellent thought provoking films out there, and not the same old cookie cutter drivel that I was used to.

And, of course, I have to mention "Vertigo." Any movie that helps determine vacations and baby names is a life changer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Guest Guest
    the Passion of the Christ....... Supersize Me...... oh and Sicko

I♥TinyTim Guest
    "The Diary of Anne Frank." (I won't get into it.)

Also, "Great Expectations." (Again, for my own reasons, I won't get into it.)
    Last edited by I♥TinyTim; 07-08-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Oops! You said movies, not books. Duh.

Hag1 Guest
    Bridges of Madison County.

My then husband and I discussed this movie at length. He asked me what I would have done. I said I would have to stay with my children. He said he thought she should have gone with the man cause everybody deserves to be happy. Not long after that, he left; seems he had been having an affair; I didn't know it at the time. I guess he deserved to be happy!

Lisamarie Guest
    I would have to say Everything is illuminated....just touched my heart and Eugene Hutts can touch me anyplace.....but that movie really got to me..maybe because I had relatives who were survivors and it just remined me so much of the strength and love they had even has they endured hell.Made me remeber who I am..what Im about...also Neverwas was a great one....and far away so close remains one of my all time favs....but ya ever get to a point in your life were you set aside ll the stuff you wanted when you were younger..and as you geow up you forget what those things are and slowley they fade away....Well Everything is Illuminated brought all that back for me . I just thought it was such a moving movie and also introduced me to my favorite actor and band Eugene Hutts....

Guest Guest
    The Apostle was pretty good. Robert Duvall as a southern "Pentacostal" preacher was spot on.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    No. They are make-believe...