Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Into The Wild: Christopher McCandless

Hippo Guest
    For those who have not read the book, there is a hand ferry across the river.

So in other words, even though the water was too high, if Chris had known of the existence of the hand ferry about 1/4 mile away, he could have easily gotten across.

So in addition to lacking skills, he was also lacking a map.

punklove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    A psychologist friend of mine just saw this movie and she offered her opinion that Christopher might have had a schizoid personality which caused him to behave this way.

I don't know if she's right or not, but all this talk about Christopher doing what he did for spiritual reasons is just silly to me. I completely disagree.

Finding some sort of deep meaning in his mental pathology--I think it's ridiculous.
    Im very inclined to agree with her, His disconnect from society and need for isolation are signs of someone who has mental illness.

Its heartbreaking when someone dies, even more heartbreaking (to me) when they starve to death.

The following is an excerpt from Jon Krakauer's celebrated book Into the Wild, which originally appeared in Outside Magazine, January 1993

James Gallien had driven five miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaskan dawn. A rifle protruded from the young man's pack, but he looked friendly enough; a hitchhiker with a Remington semiautomatic isn't the sort of thing that gives motorists pause in the 49th state. Gallien steered his four-by-four onto the shoulder and told him to climb in.

The hitchhiker introduced himself as Alex. "Alex?" Gallien responded, fishing for a last name.

"Just Alex," the young man replied, pointedly rejecting the bait. He explained that he wanted a ride as far as the edge of Denali National Park, where he intended to walk deep into the bush and "live off the land for a few months." Alex's backpack appeared to weigh only 25 or 30 pounds, which struck Gallien, an accomplished outdoorsman, as an improbably light load for a three-month sojourn in the backcountry, especially so early in the spring. Immediately Gallien began to wonder if he'd picked up one of those crackpots from the Lower 48 who come north to live out their ill-considered Jack London fantasies. Alaska has long been a magnet for unbalanced souls, often outfitted with little more than innocence and desire, who hope to find their footing in the unsullied enormity of the Last Frontier. The bush, however, is a harsh place and cares nothing for hope or longing. More than a few such dreamers have met predictably unpleasant ends.

As they got to talking during the three-hour drive, though, Alex didn't strike Gallien as your typical misfit. He was congenial, seemed well educated, and peppered Gallien with sensible questions about "what kind of small game lived in the country, what kind of berries he could eat, that kind of thing."

Still, Gallien was concerned: Alex's gear seemed excessively slight for the rugged conditions of the interior bush, which in April still lay buried under the winter snowpack. He admitted that the only food in his pack was a ten-pound bag of rice. He had no compass; the only navigational aid in his possession was a tattered road map he'd scrounged at a gas station, and when they arrived where Alex asked to be dropped off, he left the map in Gallien's truck, along with his watch, his comb, and all his money, which amounted to 85 cents. "I don't want to know what time it is," Alex declared cheerfully. "I don't want to know what day it is, or where I am. None of that matters."

During the drive south toward the mountains, Gallien had tried repeatedly to dissuade Alex from his plan, to no avail. He even offered to drive Alex all the way to Anchorage so he could at least buy the kid some decent gear. "No, thanks anyway," Alex replied. "I'll be fine with what I've got." When Gallien asked whether his parents or some friend knew what he was up toâ??anyone who could sound the alarm if he got into trouble and was overdueâ??Alex answered calmly that, no, nobody knew of his plans, that in fact he hadn't spoken to his family in nearly three years. "I'm absolutely positive," he assured Gallien, "I won't run into anything I can't deal with on my own."

"There was just no talking the guy out of it," Gallien recalls. "He was determined. He couldn't wait to head out there and get started." So Gallien drove Alex to the head of the Stampede Trail, an old mining track that begins ten miles west of the town of Healy, convinced him to accept a tuna melt and a pair of rubber boots to keep his feet dry, and wished him good luck. Alex pulled a camera from his backpack and asked Gallien to snap a picture of him. Then, smiling broadly, he disappeared down the snow-covered trail. The date was Tuesday, April 28, 1992.

More than four months passed before Gallien heard anything more of the hitchhiker. His real name turned out to be Christopher J. McCandless. He was the product of a happy family from an affluent suburb of Washington, D.C. And although he wasn't burdened with a surfeit of common sense and possessed a streak of stubborn idealism that did not readily mesh with the realities of modern life, he was no psychopath. McCandless was in fact an honors graduate of Emory University, an accomplished athlete, and a veteran of several solo excursions into wild, inhospitable terrain.

An extremely intense young man, McCandless had been captivated by the writing of Leo Tolstoy. He particularly admired the fact that the great novelist had forsaken a life of wealth and privilege to wander among the destitute. For several years he had been emulating the count's asceticism and moral rigor to a degree that astonished and occasionally alarmed those who knew him well. When he took leave of James Gallien, McCandless entertained no illusions that he was trekking into Club Med; peril, adversity, and Tolstoyan renunciation were what he was seeking. And that is precisely what he found on the Stampede Trail, in spades.
    For most of 16 weeks McCandless more than held his own. Indeed, were it not for one or two innocent and seemingly insignificant blunders he would have walked out of the Alaskan woods in July or August as anonymously as he walked into them in April. Instead, the name of Chris McCandless has become the stuff of tabloid headlines, and his bewildered family is left clutching the shards of a fierce and painful love.

On the northern margin of the Alaska Range, just before the hulking escarpments of Denali and its satellites surrender to the low Kantishna plain, a series of lesser ridges known as the Outer Ranges sprawls across the flats like a rumpled blanket on an unmade bed. Between the flinty crests of the two outermost Outer Ranges runs an east-west trough, maybe five miles across, carpeted in a boggy amalgam of muskeg, alder thickets, and scrawny spruce. Meandering through this tangled, rolling bottomland is the Stampede Trail, the route Chris McCandless followed into the wilderness.

When they arrived at the bus, says Thompson, they found "a guy and a girl from Anchorage standing 50 feet away, looking kinda spooked. A real bad smell was coming from inside the bus, and there was this weird note tacked by the door." The note, written in neat block letters on a page torn from a novel by Gogol, read: "S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured, near death, and too weak to hike out of here. I am all alone, this is no joke. In the name of God, please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Chris McCandless. August?"

The Anchorage couple had been too upset by the implications of the note to examine the bus's interior, so Thompson and Samel steeled themselves to take a look. A peek through a window revealed a .22-caliber rifle, a box of shells, some books and clothing, a backpack, and, on a makeshift bunk in the rear of the vehicle, a blue sleeping bag that appeared to have something or someone inside it.

"It was hard to be absolutely sure," says Samel. "I stood on a stump, reached through a back window, and gave the bag a shake. There was definitely something in it, but whatever it was didn't weigh much. It wasn't until I walked around to the other side and saw a head sticking out that I knew for certain what it was." Chris McCandless had been dead for some two and a half weeks.

The Alaska State Troopers were contacted, and the next morning a police helicopter evacuated the decomposed body, a camera with five rolls of exposed film, and a diaryâ??written across the last two pages of a field guide to edible plantsâ??that recorded the young man's final weeks in 113 terse, haunting entries. An autopsy revealed no internal injuries or broken bones. Starvation was suggested as the most probable cause of death. McCandless's signature had been penned at the bottom of the S.O.S. note, and the photos, when developed, included many self-portraits. But because he had been carrying no identification, the police knew almost nothing about who he was or where he was from.

Great post, Punk! Thanks for sharing. I saw the movie and it was pretty good, but could not for the life of me get into the book.

I too think he had mental issues. I also believe he was born way after his time. There was a time when it was not really uncommon for men to go out into the wilderness and live alone, for many reasons, but some could not handle civilization. We know them by many names, one of which is mountain men. I have always wondered if these men of yore were also mentally ill. Man is a sociable animal and it is against his nature to want to live in isolation.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Very sad thing. I read somewhere that he had a map but left it in someones truck. He was ill prepared and had neither the provisions or experience for the Alaskan wilderness. I, too, wonder if he was a little unbalanced.

He was young and obsessed with Jack London's Call of the Wild. He was the kind of person who would not listen to anyone. He knew best and that was it. Except he didn't know what the hell he was doing. Unbalance,highly likely.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Hippo Guest
    To Cindy:

Not to mention that "Call of the Wild" was FICTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    To Cindy:

Not to mention that "Call of the Wild" was FICTION.
    Exactly, Hippo. That speaks volumes.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I also believe he was born way after his time.
    Agreed.
    I don't think that he was right for the world that we know of.
    I think in some way he wanted to die.
    He could have found another way out but chose to stay by the bus instead.

I too think he had mental issues.
    I have always wondered if these men of yore were also mentally ill. Man is a sociable animal and it is against his nature to want to live in isolation.
    This is where we may have a difference of opinion.

I don't know what "Alex" had unless he was psychoanylized. All we can do is guess.
    I think he just wanted to be alone.
    And people who want to live alone or isolate themselves may not have mental issues.
    Some of us just feel uncomfortable around others or in social situations.

Last edited by cindyt; 09-13-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Chris has always tugged at my heart strings. I just feel he was a lost soul, I felt bad for his family but I kind of understand just wanting to get away from everything and everyone. But going into the wilderness was a death sentence, he should have known that. I read it was a painful death.

the guy was nuts ala Tim Treadwell.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the guy was nuts ala Tim Treadwell.
    Yeah, I liken him to Treadwell, too. I remember hearing an audio somewhere (probably here) of Treadwell, well, dying... it was horrific.

Eccentricity is one thing, madness quite another. If I were the sibling or close relative of either of these two, I would be feeling some major guilt (warranted or not) that I didn't stop them or -- something. I know, perhaps they couldn't be stopped. But I'd like to think I'd have at least tried. Such passionate people, for their causes. Respect. I guess?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

I have been reading about him for about the last month. I was perusing netflix and saw the movie, so I went and found the book at the library. I found both incredibly interesting…
    As for his mental status? I can relate to him, I don't like a lot of people. I like the peace and quiet. However, a year without talking to a single person would probably get to me
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

I just went through this entire thread. The funniest thing to me is the people who make a pilgrimage to the bus, and then have to be rescued. I guess it takes an idiot to choose an idiot as his hero.

babyblujems Guest
    Unfortunately, my boyfriend is one who think McCandless is a hero. I on the other hand am not a fan. Honestly, I get that now they are saying it had to do with the seeds and so on and so forth but seriously there has to come a time in everyone's life where you realize that what you are doing is harming others and that it's time to grow up. McCandless just seems like a little boy who had an extremely long temper tantrum cause Mommy and Daddy had an affair and as a result he lost his life.

I found this site where his sister, Carine, and three of his half-sisters speak out about their childhoods. A little more than an affair happened! It is long piece but the site will not me cut and paste.

http://www.christophermccandless.inf...ccandless.html

Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    Yeah, I liken him to Treadwell, too. I remember hearing an audio somewhere (probably here) of Treadwell, well, dying... it was horrific.
    The audio of him being eaten has never been released. Lots of fakes floating around.

Nice avatar.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    The audio of him being eaten has never been released. Lots of fakes floating around.

Nice avatar.
    That was fake? Well I'll be dipped. Had no idea... wow.
    I thought the same of your avatar... I don't know how to do fancy ones, but if I did, that'd be the one for me. Love me some Torrence!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

I don't see why anyone is calling him a idiot, How do we know he didn't have a map, he had gear, so I would think he would have had a fishing pole, and if he did eat something that caused paralysis then there was no way he could have hiked anywhere to find help, I have been sick with the flu throwing up and the other and to weak to even get out of bed to walk a few steps. So I doubt he would have been able to walk and if he was starving he wasn't in his right mind to do much of anything as you tend to go into a stupor then a mental shutdown.
    Your mental performance will degenerate. Like every other part of your body, your brain needs nutrients and energy to function properly. Infants who starve might never develop proper brain function. People over the ages of 2 or 3 might experience temporary poor cognitive function, but recover once they receive nourishment. Your mood likely will change as you become preoccupied by thoughts of food. You also might feel anxious, irritable, angry, withdrawn and depressed.

In the move, the watch the actor playing Chris is wearing, is actually Chris's watch, Chris's mother gave it to the actor, also at the start of the movie where the guy is dropping Chris off before he hikes into the wild and gives him the boots is the actual guy that dropped Chris off, I just watched the movie, loved it and was sad, Will have to find Chris's book with the pictures in it.

Proof he did have a map and a fishing pole there is a picture of a list of items given back to the family from the bus note, one fishing pole one road map, one rifle, bottom says from AK Coroner
    http://www.tifilms.com/wild/call_debunked.htm
    Last edited by pkstracy; 09-18-2013 at 10:17 PM.

He didn't have the training and seasoning of age to tackle the real wild. Just another young idealist going against nature. Nature is a cruel and unforgiving bitch. If you are not truly prepared in body and soul you're food.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    He didn't have the training and seasoning of age to tackle the real wild. Just another young idealist going against nature. Nature is a cruel and unforgiving bitch. If you are not truly prepared in body and soul you're food.
    This.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

This.
    I will add another "This".

Alycat32 Guest
    It's so interesting that he was obsessed with call of the wild, while all these young missing teens on that ID channel show Dissapeared , are obsessed with the into the wild book. It's sad, that Lee Cutler's family and friends still think he's alive and living out an into the wild fantasy. Lee went missing in 2007.

Alycat32 Guest
    Also, I've run into forums filled with young people who are dedicated to meeting up with strangers over the Internet and going on these journeys as pairs or groups. I find it frightening.

Remember kiddies to never try running over cops with your pickup truck.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Massachusetts Guest
    I remember reading this book and found it both interesting and sad.

Gotta be something in the water up there.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Digging this up from the depths a bit, but McCandless's sister has a new book coming out giving her side of the story. Interestingly she (and her older half sibblings) claim that the parents were incredibly abusive and this was the reason Chris cut all ties and ran.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/000758513...I38BCLEBRJ7FYN

"The key missing piece of Jon Krakauer’s multi million, multi territory bestseller and widely acclaimed Sean Penn film Into the Wild is finally revealed by his best friend and sister, Carine.The story of Chris McCandless, who gave away his savings, hitchhiked to Alaska, walked into the wilderness alone, and starved to death in 1992, fascinated not just New York Times bestselling author Jon Krakauer, but the rest of the nation too. Krakauer’s book and a Sean Penn film skyrocketed Chris McCandless to worldwide fame, but the real story of his life and his journey has not yet been told – until now.
    Carine McCandless, Chris’s sister, featured in both the book and film, was the person with whom he had the closest bond, and who witnessed firsthand the dysfunctional and violent family dynamic that made Chris willing to embrace the harsh wilderness of Alaska. Growing up in the same troubled and volatile household that sent Chris on his fatal journey into the wild, Carine finally reveals the broader and deeper reality about life in the McCandless family...

Last edited by spookydel; 09-15-2014 at 06:40 AM.

SiriusBlack Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I have just come back from Alaska and believe me the locals feel this way too and use him as an example of what not to do. Most of them also had very little time for Treadwell and thought he was arrogant and nowhere near as knowledgable about bears as he thought he was. Having said that Alaska is the most incredible place I have ever been to in my life.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    I knew he was a nut when he turned down barely legal half naked Kristen Stewart so he could go play Robinson Crusoe in the woods.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I would really like to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by spookydel View Post
    Digging this up from the depths a bit, but McCandless's sister has a new book coming out giving her side of the story. Interestingly she (and her older half sibblings) claim that the parents were incredibly abusive and this was the reason Chris cut all ties and ran.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/000758513...I38BCLEBRJ7FYN

"The key missing piece of Jon Krakauer’s multi million, multi territory bestseller and widely acclaimed Sean Penn film Into the Wild is finally revealed by his best friend and sister, Carine.The story of Chris McCandless, who gave away his savings, hitchhiked to Alaska, walked into the wilderness alone, and starved to death in 1992, fascinated not just New York Times bestselling author Jon Krakauer, but the rest of the nation too. Krakauer’s book and a Sean Penn film skyrocketed Chris McCandless to worldwide fame, but the real story of his life and his journey has not yet been told – until now.
    Carine McCandless, Chris’s sister, featured in both the book and film, was the person with whom he had the closest bond, and who witnessed firsthand the dysfunctional and violent family dynamic that made Chris willing to embrace the harsh wilderness of Alaska. Growing up in the same troubled and volatile household that sent Chris on his fatal journey into the wild, Carine finally reveals the broader and deeper reality about life in the McCandless family.
    For decades, Carine and Chris’s parents, a successful aerospace engineer and his beautiful wife, raised their children in the tony suburbs of Northern Virginia. But behind closed doors, her father beat and choked her mother. He whipped Carine and Chris with his belt. He cursed them, belittled their accomplishments, and told them they were nothing without him. Carine and Chris hid under the stairs, hoping to avoid his wrath. They were teenagers before they learned they were conceived while their father was still married and having babies with his first wife, who finally summoned the courage to leave him after he broke her back in a fight.
    In the 20-plus years since the tragedy of Chris’s death, she has searched for some kind of redemption. But in this touching and deeply personal memoir, she reveals how she has learned that real redemption can only come from speaking the truth. Finally, she has found the truth not just in her brother’s story, but also her own."

Please shave a paragraph off of this to keep it within the limits of Rule 7.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

My children are related to Chris and his family. So there was some family interest when this happened and when the book and the movie came out. I think he was mentally ill. It amazes me about the amount of people that glorified him and have tried to follow his path. Dying also. If I lived in that area of Alaska I'd be a bit pissed also.

Please shave a paragraph off of this to keep it within the limits of Rule 7.
    oopsie, sorry, done!

Quote Originally Posted by spookydel View Post
    oopsie, sorry, done!
    Thanks!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Poor Christopher-- misunderstood life and death, and everyone in his messed-up family has capitalized on it except HIMSELF, poor chap. Those last photos he took of himself are indeed haunting-- his frighteningly white rictus of a smile, the twig fingers emerging from sleeves that have become so large on his skeletal arms.

Some years before the film INTO THE WILD, the mysterious life and death of Chris McCandless inspired an episode of the series MILLENNIUM (2nd season, the one MM fans still like to talk about)-- "Luminary." The CMcC-inspired character was actually named "Alex", the fake name he gave out to the well-meaning fellow who'd given him his last fateful ride.

Of course, the cause of the character's "death" was different and his reasons for leaving his decent family (unlike Chris's real family, apparently) were in tune with MM's mystical themes (it had to do with Saint Jerome), but I think the writers were on to something.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0648242/?ref_=ttep_ep12
    Last edited by Linnie; 09-15-2014 at 06:12 PM.

I haven't read the book but saw the film several years ago. It's one of those rare movies that you think about for days after you see it. I don't know how in depth his mental condition has been delved into or how much of it is true or just speculation. I know it's not right to judge based on looks but there's just something about this yearbook photo that just doesn't seem right. Like something is off.

Last edited by StewartGilliganGriffin; 09-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.

his sister has a new book - says the parents were abusive.

http://www.carinemccandless.com/
    Last edited by cash; 11-15-2014 at 09:04 PM.

seberly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblujems View Post
    seriously there has to come a time in everyone's life where you realize that what you are doing is harming others and that it's time to grow up.
    Why? It's his life and his happiness. His purpose in life is not to make others happy at his expense. If friends, family or whoever feel harmed by his choices in life that's their problem to deal with and not his to resolve for them.

I loved the movie and thought Emile Hirsch did an excellent job. I lived in Alaska for two years. Its not a place you want to be unprepared. He had absolutely no idea what he was doing, but he was a grown man and if that's what he wanted to do with his life - it was his choice.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I need to catch this movie. The pics of this guy right before he died are so haunting.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I haven't read the book but saw the film several years ago. It's one of those rare movies that you think about for days after you see it. I don't know how in depth his mental condition has been delved into or how much of it is true or just speculation. I know it's not right to judge based on looks but there's just something about this yearbook photo that just doesn't seem right. Like something is off.

Dead eyes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Dumb eyes.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I need to catch this movie. The pics of this guy right before he died are so haunting.
    *wide eyes and silently mouths*, "you haven't seen into the wild!?"

At 1:40 is where I would have officially shit myself. And the poisoning himself theory portrayed in the film has been debunked. I think they included it to alleviate some of his responsibility. A tool to gain sympathy for him... not that they needed any tricks for that. Anywho here's a clip. Go watch it. NOW!! Have I ever steered ya wrong yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulamith View Post
    I found this site where his sister, Carine, and three of his half-sisters speak out about their childhoods. A little more than an affair happened! It is long piece but the site will not me cut and paste.

http://www.christophermccandless.inf...ccandless.html
    I can't wait to read his sisters book about their childhood
    should be coming out soon.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    After reading her comments at the link provided by Sulamith, I'm looking forward to reading it as well. She's an excellent writer in her own right and I love the fact that she is willing to peel back all of the layers of her family's issues all while trying to consider all sides and not attacking her parents for their mistakes.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    its out already

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Truth-Car...the+wild+truth

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    *wide eyes and silently mouths*, "you haven't seen into the wild!?"

At 1:40 is where I would have officially shit myself. And the poisoning himself theory portrayed in the film has been debunked. I think they included it to alleviate some of his responsibility. A tool to gain sympathy for him... not that they needed any tricks for that. Anywho here's a clip. Go watch it. NOW!! Have I ever steered ya wrong yet?

Never ever. Thanks for the clip. I will see if it is on Netflix or Hulu.