Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra

magblax Guest
    In this article.. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle472889.ece
    It does list what Frank was buried with...

As well as the lighter, other gifts placed in Sinatra??s casket at the interment in Palm Springs, California, included a bottle of his favourite Jack Daniel??s whiskey, a packet of Tootsie Rolls, the sweets made in his home town of Hoboken, New Jersey, and a ring inscribed with the word ??Dreams? left by Mia Farrow, the actress and third wife of the singer.
    However, it is the lighter, included by Sinatra??s stepson Bobby, which has the most controversial connotations. It is now thought to be linked to the discovery of a gold lighter inscribed as a gift from Sinatra at the home of Lucky Luciano, a mafia don, in the 1970s. The incident blackened the singer??s name by suggesting he was close to the mob.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    In this article.. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle472889.ece
    It does list what Frank was buried with...

As well as the lighter, other gifts placed in Sinatra’s casket at the interment in Palm Springs, California, included a bottle of his favourite Jack Daniel’s whiskey, a packet of Tootsie Rolls, the sweets made in his home town of Hoboken, New Jersey, and a ring inscribed with the word “Dreams” left by Mia Farrow, the actress and third wife of the singer.
    However, it is the lighter, included by Sinatra’s stepson Bobby, which has the most controversial connotations. It is now thought to be linked to the discovery of a gold lighter inscribed as a gift from Sinatra at the home of Lucky Luciano, a mafia don, in the 1970s. The incident blackened the singer’s name by suggesting he was close to the mob.
    Mag,

He was close to the mob!! At one point in the 60's though the mob were going to rub out ole Frank when Kennedy got into office and His brother put pressure on the mob!

Something Frank told them wouldn't happen!

Taped recordings of phone conversations of certain mob members proved that! But the mob knew Frank was still a powerful figure in Hollywood and Vegas and decided not to kill him, but they did discuss it at one point!!

Danny62 Guest
    FRANK SINATRA quotes, Playboy Magazine, Feb. 1962

"If you don't know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he's just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It's one world, pal. We're all neighbors."

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels. But to me religion is a deeply personal thing in which man and God go it alone together, without the witch doctor in the middle."

"There are things about organized religion which I resent. Christ is revered as the Prince of Peace, but more blood has been shed in His name than any other figure in history. You show me one step forward in the name of religion and I'll show you a hundred retrogressions. Remember, they were men of God who destroyed the educational treasures at Alexandria, who perpetrated the Inquisition in Spain, who burned the witches at Salem. Over 25,000 organized religions flourish on this planet, but the followers of each think all the others are miserably misguided and probably evil as well."

Truth be told Frank never did an interview for Playboy. It was all ghostwritten. Alot of people don't know that!

Frank signed off on the interview for publication but was never interviewed! I think it was his press agent or someone had Playboy write up a list of questions and he replied the way he thought Frank would answer!!

Those quotes still float around as being said by Frank to this day!

Jaxxx Guest
    Hmmmm, interesting, so that ghostwriter wrote what he thought Frank would say, good thing it was like something Frank would say, or else he would really be a "ghost" writer.

dbrian Guest
    I recall that Frank was a good friend of Judy Garland. But it seems there was a story I heard when he died about a time she was in NYC and he was in Vegas or somewhere and someone was attacking her in her room and he called the NYC cops and about a hundred cops busted down the door--the point being the cops responded to Blue Eyes so quickly or something like that. Anyone hear this or know the details?

lisalouver Guest
    Everytime I see anything emerald, I think of the earrings that he gave MM.

Also, her poodle Maf was a gift from Frankie.

I remember when his forever love Ava Gardner died, he sent beautiful flowers and the card read simply "Always, F"

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Hmmmm, interesting, so that ghostwriter wrote what he thought Frank would say, good thing it was like something Frank would say, or else he would really be a "ghost" writer.
    Frank signed off and approved what was written before it was published!

Alot of those still show up as quotes from Frank on various websites!!

jay Guest
    I guess Frank wasn't big on uninvited company. I read that on the front of his house was a sign that read "If you haven't been invited you better have a damn good reason for ringing this doorbell"

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I guess Frank wasn't big on uninvited company. I read that on the front of his house was a sign that read "If you haven't been invited you better have a damn good reason for ringing this doorbell"

I also hear he had a sign that said "Forget the dog, beware of the owner."

Frank was a true case of bi-polar I think. The stories I have read on the guy...

One strange dude!!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Not a nice guy. He was lucky he could sing.

I just read Kitty Kelly's book on him. Felt dirty afterwards and threw it out.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Not a nice guy. He was lucky he could sing.

I just read Kitty Kelly's book on him. Felt dirty afterwards and threw it out.
    Did you notice in the book though how he would help complete strangers who he would read about in newspapers by giving them money or paying off bills for them!

Frank was a very complex guy!!!

I loved the beginning of the book where Frank tried to sue her for 2 Million dollars for doing the book.

His family claims it was Her book that caused Franks health to deteriorate when it came out!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Did you notice in the book though how he would help complete strangers who he would read about in newspapers by giving them money or paying off bills for them!

Frank was a very complex guy!!!

I loved the beginning of the book where Frank tried to sue her for 2 Million dollars for doing the book.

His family claims it was Her book that caused Franks health to deteriorate when it came out!!

I think his charity was at last partly motivated by narcissism--not looking for praise necessarily, but more like, "I control the world and therefore have to help these unfortunate beings." I just got tired of reading how poorly he treated those around him. Sure, I'll go with "complex."

Kitty Kelley certainly had balls of steel...

leevancleef Guest
    i dont think that Frank was a terrible person, ive always thought, as Danny pointed out, that he had some serious mental issues, probably a bipolar disorder. ive read lots of biographies and articles about him and the best words that can describe him are COMPLEX, MOODY and MELANCHOLIC.
    I also think that he really CARED for his friends, for her REAL friends.
    ive read that when Bogart got sick Frank was devastated. Even the night before of Bogie's first big operation to try to cut out the cancer Frank gave a party for him.
    Another complex part of his personality is that he was obsessively clean and hated when people coughed around him. He also loathed hospitals.

Noelle Page Guest
    Aw, you guys are nice. I still say it was "all about him." I think the one person he cared for in a normal, genuine, uncomplicated way was Little Nancy.

Danny62 Guest
    No doubt Nancy was his favorite...I hear it caused alot of anguish with Frank Jr.

I think Frank partly cared and partly it was show of how important he was and a Mental case!! I hear alot of times when he helped people out he wanted no publicity about it!

Then sometimes he wanted to make sure everyone heard about it!!!

I mean A guy who changed is underwear and showered numerous times a day!?

Yes nothing wrong with being clean but Frank had some serious issues!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    How come when celebs do charity we'd "never know about," we always wind up knowing about it?

Ah well, in the end it's the deed that counts, right? I just wish people like Frank wouldn't negate all the good deeds with nasty ones.

Danny62 Guest
    How come when celebs do charity we'd "never know about," we always wind up knowing about it?

Ah well, in the end it's the deed that counts, right? I just wish people like Frank wouldn't negate all the good deeds with nasty ones.
    I think that was part of why he did it! No doubt Frank poured millions into Charity's!!

But he did have a very real DARK SIDE as well!!

But if you didn't really read stories about Frank you would think he was a great guy who did no wrong!

They still manage to cover up Franks "Other Side" really well!!

Makes you wonder if Frank made it to the clouds or under the earth? LOL

I Still love his music from the 50's and 60's!!! Now him...another story!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Well....God seemed to like Frank, he was pretty good to him in Life. So I bet he's with The Man Upstairs, baby. Despite the (bogus) stuff he said about Him in Playboy. (And by Him, I mean the lord, not Frank)

Danny62 Guest
    Well....God seemed to like Frank, he was pretty good to him in Life. So I bet he's with The Man Upstairs, baby. Despite the (bogus) stuff he said about Him in Playboy. (And by Him, I mean the lord, not Frank)
    Are you referring to how Frank never really gave the interview? LOL

I still hate how quotes about Frank come out and he never said them!!!!

I think that Bogus interview made people think what a great caring man he was!

Noelle Page Guest
    Exactly....what a free thinker he was, unexpectedly intelligent, with-it.....

Danny62 Guest
    Exactly....what a free thinker he was, unexpectedly intelligent, with-it.....
    LOL

I about dropped the book when I Read about the interview being bogus!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Well, Frank could sing, obviously, and for a time he was a great entertainer and an elegant-looking guy in his way. But I hate reading about all his little temper tantrums. And the whole noble business of "I Did it My Way"...what exactly was he taking credit for?

Now if Nelson Mandela or someone like that were singing the song....ok!

Danny62 Guest
    Well, Frank could sing, obviously, and for a time he was a great entertainer and an elegant-looking guy in his way. But I hate reading about all his little temper tantrums. And the whole noble business of "I Did it My Way"...what exactly was he taking credit for?

Now if Nelson Mandela or someone like that were singing the song....ok!

Or as Kitty Kelly said "His way." LOL

Remember the part where the old Janitor went to shake Franks hands and he had his "Goons" beat the poor guy up!!

Or the guy who lived here In Salt Lake Frank had him beat up for supposedly trying to pickup his last wife!!!

What a fruitcake!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    My absolute favorite line in the book was Mama Dolly's alleged comment about Barbara becoming Frank's fiance. lol

Landman Guest
    Any pictures of a "Frank in a box"??

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    ive read that when Bogart got sick Frank was devastated. Even the night before of Bogie's first big operation to try to cut out the cancer Frank gave a party for him..
    It's said he also went out of his way to comfort Lauren Bacall, both during Bogie's illness and after he died.

Danny62 Guest
    It's said he also went out of his way to comfort Lauren Bacall, both during Bogie's illness and after he died.

Didn't he shit on her if I recall. They were going to get married...and Frank backed out at the end?

Noelle Page Guest
    Oh yeah, she got unceremoniously dumped, and sounds pissed about it to this day.

Danny62 Guest
    Oh yeah, she got unceremoniously dumped, and sounds pissed about it to this day.
    Much like Frank, never forgave someone! Don't you just love how he divorced Mia Farrow!?

Noelle Page Guest
    Mia just walked away from him, asking for nothing. Of course, she could afford to do that. But still, that's the way to deal with being dumped by Frank!

But wait....I was skipping pages at that point.....can't remember, what classy way did he do it? Served papers on the movie set or something?
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 02-09-2008 at 09:24 PM.

leevancleef Guest
    Mia just walked away from him, asking for nothing. Of course, she could afford to do that. But still, that's the way to deal with being dumped by Frank!

But wait....I was skipping pages at that point.....can't remember, what classy way did he do it? Served papers on the movie set or something?
    Frank and Mia's marriage is one of the oddest marriages of all times.

Danny62 Guest

Yep Frank had his prick lawyer show up on the set of a Movie with the divorce papers.

What was odd is She knew Frank wanted a stay at home wife...why the hell did she marry him?

lisalouver Guest
    Yep Frank had his prick lawyer show up on the set of a Movie with the divorce papers.

What was odd is She knew Frank wanted a stay at home wife...why the hell did she marry him?
    Nice.

BTW, I love hearing someone use the word prick. It is not often used anymore.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Nice.

BTW, I love hearing someone use the word prick. It is not often used anymore.
    That is what everyone used to call Franks lawyer in Kitty Kellys book!! So I am just thinking back to Franks "Prick Lawyer." LOL

I just can't remember his damn name!

Noelle Page Guest

Because. They dont take it seriously anyway. they just felt like it.

Yeah, prick's a great word.

I like this thread. It's comfy and fun.

Danny62 Guest

If I recall all of Franks family and friends knew the Mia farrow marriage would not last!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Another gem of a quote from old Dolly:

"This one, she don't talk. She don't eat. What's she do?"

lisalouver Guest

It is a great thread!

Noelle Page Guest
    Yeah, my kind of thread. Funny how each thread has its own personality. Some get very seriouslike and you have to "behave." Not here in Frank's World!

For which I guess we should tip our hats to Ol' Blue Eyes!

leevancleef Guest
    Yeah, my kind of thread. Funny how each thread has its own personality. Some get very seriouslike and you have to "behave." Not here in Frank's World!

For which I guess we should tip our hats to Ol' Blue Eyes!
    haha, thats so true!

By the way, Danny, i believe that Sinatra's attorney was MILTON RUDIN.

Noelle Page Guest
    Can we stick with "prick lawyer"?

My phrase of the day!

Deat becomesher Guest
    I am reading Kitty Kelley book too. I guess his wife Barbara was still married to Harpo Marx when she started seeing "ole blues eyes". Even though she was seeing Frank , she sued Harpo for divorce, got alimony and a a 69 Jaguar out of that marriage. Barbara always married up and I guess marrying Frank was the "top of the heap".

She was married to Zeppo

Deat becomesher Guest
    You're right it was Zeppo

Danny62 Guest
    I hear Barbara was always trying to Marry up the ladder. And Zeppo was a good spring board to get to Frank!

Overtaxed Guest
    Frank's mother Dolly, used to call Barbara the whore. This from the woman who was known for her tabletop abortions back in Hoboken. Our families were neighbors, so it's verified true!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Frank's mother Dolly, used to call Barbara the whore. This from the woman who was known for her tabletop abortions back in Hoboken. Our families were neighbors, so it's verified true!
    Yep Kitty Kelly goes into her abortion ring in her book!!!

I think Frank was such a "Mamma's boy" Dolly really didn't like anyone. I think she liked Franks first wife and that was it.

Noelle Page Guest
    No Danny, for once you're wrong! Dolly did not like Big Nancy, thought she was dumpy. She liked Ava! That was her idea of a woman worthy of her boy. At least according to the KK book.

Dolly's alleged quote about Barbara, again from KK, always cracked me up: "I don't want no whore coming into this family." Poor Barbara. I think she was the best one for Frank.

does anyone wish he had had woody allens legs' broken anyway?

Danny62 Guest
    No Danny, for once you're wrong! Dolly did not like Big Nancy, thought she was dumpy. She liked Ava! That was her idea of a woman worthy of her boy. At least according to the KK book.

Dolly's alleged quote about Barbara, again from KK, always cracked me up: "I don't want no whore coming into this family." Poor Barbara. I think she was the best one for Frank.
    I think you are right. Thanks for correcting me...its been years since I read the book!

I think Barbara was a money grubber in my opinion anyway! I can't think she loved Frank more for his money than for him!!