Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: British Royal Family

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    Catherine died in 1536 probably of cancer. When Henry heard of her death, he celebrated at a banquet dressed in bright yellow from head to toes.
    It was said to be the only time he was ever openly affectionate and boastful of the Princess Elizabeth (his post-Catherine daughter) as well. Soon after Anne fell and Elizabeth was banished from court and bastardized (at which time if I remember my history correctly Henry adopted two lovable black orphans to boost ratings).

--------

If I'd had control of the movie ROBIN HOOD PRINCE OF THIEVES and its huge budget, the first scene would have featured the battle of Lemans (Henry II against his son Richard and King Philip of France) followed by Peter O'Toole in a big-paycheck/short screentime cameo as Henry II (the role he played in BECKET and THE LION IN WINTER) deathbed scene. He was humiliated by his military defeat, which was due in part to his poor health and inability to lead, and died dictating his will to his illegitimate son Geoffrey [not the son from LION IN WINTER of the same name, proclaiming "Only the bastard is my true son" or words to that effect, and his last words by tradition being "Shame on a vanquished king". It's a scene that should be in a movie (and at the time Katharine Hepburn was even capable of pulling off a cameo as Queen Eleanor, plus you could have had the line "I'm Richard Lionheart, this is my brother Geoffrey and this is my other brother Geoffrey..." {except the legitimate brother Geoffrey was dead by then, but some dramatic license is okay if you can get a Newhart reference out of it}).
    -------------------------------
    Last edited by Sampiro; 06-11-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Sampiro Guest
    PS- I think the greatest tragedy of Diana's life was that she died just as she saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

[at which time if I remember my history correctly Henry adopted two lovable black orphans to boost ratings).

--------

If I'd had control of the movie ROBIN HOOD PRINCE OF THIEVES and its huge budget, the first scene would have featured the battle of Lemans (Henry II against his son Richard and King Philip of France) followed by Peter O'Toole in a big-paycheck/short screentime cameo as Henry II (the role he played in BECKET and THE LION IN WINTER) deathbed scene. He was humiliated by his military defeat, which was due in part to his poor health and inability to lead, and died dictating his will to his illegitimate son Geoffrey [not the son from LION IN WINTER of the same name, proclaiming "Only the bastard is my true son" or words to that effect, and his last words by tradition being "Shame on a vanquished king". It's a scene that should be in a movie (and at the time Katharine Hepburn was even capable of pulling off a cameo as Queen Eleanor, plus you could have had the line "I'm Richard Lionheart, this is my brother Geoffrey and this is my other brother Geoffrey..." {except the legitimate brother Geoffrey was dead by then, but some dramatic license is okay if you can get a Newhart reference out of it}).
    -------------------------------[/quote]

lmao!!!!! hepburn was lovely as old eleanor of aquitaine! gutsy woman that! what a movie!!! i really enjoy your writings sampiro good stuff
    pull the string!

Vamp Guest
    I always found it ironic that Elizabeth was an unwanted child with a beheaded mother yet she became the greatest leader of her age. Henry worked so hard to get a son but all he really needed was Elizabeth.

FannyB1923 Guest
    There was a short feature on one of the TV gossip shows about Wills and Kate, now to be known as Katherine. Supposedly that's her preference-sounds more adult.
    The press in the UK had taken to calling her "Waity Katie" because she and Wills have been together so long.

I find this hard to believe but supposedly the Queen suggested she get a job. Guess she's living in Clarence House with Wills when he's home and "between jobs" (lol- I know all about that one) I doubt seriously the Queen would say that. But it's possible one of those "gray men" you hear about, thinking about their public image, might suggest she do something that sounds impressive but not so demanding, like admin asst for an art gallery. Or tour guide for the Royal Embroidery Museum; something like that

I think they're at the "he wouldn't dare break it off" stage at this point. Since they broke up and got back together-he got his time to think it over . She might realize all it involves and bail.
    But can you imagine turning down a prince and then living the rest of your life wondering? Although supposedly several women broke up with Charles.
    I have high hopes for those two. They're already been together a long time and he's a home loving Moon Child.

If they marry she gets a swell choice of names- she'll be an HRH and then Katherine of Wales, but they might make her a Duchess like Camilla. Or she might be known as Princess William of Wales- yuck!

leeny994 Guest
    Henry VIII had that repulsive boil on his leg that smelled to high heaven and seeped---pus and blood.
    the way the story goes is his wives and other bed partners had to hold heir breaths when they were in the midst of Male Heir to the Throne Makin time....
    ewwwww

FannyB1923 Guest
    Sounds like at least one of Fergie's daughters has her mother's free spirit!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...at-school.html

Sounds like tons of fun to me. If you can't have a good naked frolic when you're 18 and have a perfect little body, then when?

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    Sounds like at least one of Fergie's daughters has her mother's free spirit!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...at-school.html

Sounds like tons of fun to me. If you can't have a good naked frolic when you're 18 and have a perfect little body, then when?
    Good for Eugenie!

sunshine74137 Guest
    I have an acquaintance who is friends with fergie. She spent a couple of weeks with her on vacation one summer. She said the princesses were very sweet and at the end of the vacation they went to every member of the staff and thanked them personnally, from the maids to the handyman. Shreeking at night, big fat hairy deal!

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    I have an acquaintance who is friends with fergie. She spent a couple of weeks with her on vacation one summer. She said the princesses were very sweet and at the end of the vacation they went to every member of the staff and thanked them personnally, from the maids to the handyman. Shreeking at night, big fat hairy deal!
    It appears that both Diana and Fergie did one big thing right with their lives, raise sensible, warm, good hearted children. That is the most important thing they could accomplish. I am particularly impressed by Prince Harry and how he handled his army service against the Taliban. He also raises a great deal of money for his mother's causes.

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    She is ugly, but not that ugly?

Do you wear or need glasses?

To compare horseface with the grace and beauty of Diana is insanity.

Diana has the love and adoration of the people forever. Camilla will never acheive that. Never.

She has Charles and has for all these years? Yea, he's a real prize that one. And a looker to boot.
    first of all i am not going to debate with you over who is ugly. diana was not pretty at all and neither was camilla or charles for that matter and that is from not marrying out of the family unit for centuries.. i could care the less about diana having been adored by the people because i was not one of them. (i have nothing against her but this charles and diana thing was blown out of proportion it was just 2 people who did not make it due to other things)camilla has charles she does not need the adoration of the people. she got her man. the queens beloved son loves her. diana may have had the peoples attention but she could not get her husband's attention and that is more important than the people. the people are just angry because charles is with his true love and sorry to say diana was not his true love. sad but true. that is life. we can't always get what we want and we cannot make a person love us no mattter how pretty or ugly we are. looks do not matter if you really love someone and what i meant by camilla was not that ugly , i meant she is not that ugly to charles and that is what matters not what you think. again diana was used by the royal family to bringforth an heir. now that is just straight wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    Henry VIII had that repulsive boil on his leg that smelled to high heaven and seeped---pus and blood.
    the way the story goes is his wives and other bed partners had to hold heir breaths when they were in the midst of Male Heir to the Throne Makin time....
    ewwwww
    found this....:

[SIZE=5]It is known that Henry suffered for many years from an ulcerative condition of the legs. Syphilis typically attacks mucous membranes -- the genitals, eyes and nasal lining are the most common sites for syphilitic ulceration, resulting in the typical genital lesions, blindness and collapse of the nasal cartilege that is associated with advanced syphilis. Henry's leg ulceration seemed to start in one leg after an injury in a jousting accident. This injury healed with little complication -- only to reopen a few years later. Eventually, both of Henry's legs and feet were affected with ulcers. It was noted by his physicians that his toes became gangrenous as the condition advanced. This is an ulceration pattern far more typical of advanced diabetes, both Type I and Type II. So far as I know, there is no documentation of Henry having suffered from ulceration of the mucous membranes.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Henry's gradual mental impairment, mainly a temper which became increasingly irascible with age, as well as paranoia, has frequently been blamed on the insanity which accompanies tertiary syphilis, as the syphilis spirochetes attack the brain tissue (this commonly occurs when the nasal passages have been infected and damaged, due to their proximity to the brain). However, Henry also had a series of strokes prior to his death, which would point to circulatory and blood pressure problems, which could have been caused by late stage diabetes or arteriosclerosis.[/SIZE]
    pull the string!

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    found this....:

[SIZE=5]It is known that Henry suffered for many years from an ulcerative condition of the legs. Syphilis typically attacks mucous membranes -- the genitals, eyes and nasal lining are the most common sites for syphilitic ulceration, resulting in the typical genital lesions, blindness and collapse of the nasal cartilege that is associated with advanced syphilis. Henry's leg ulceration seemed to start in one leg after an injury in a jousting accident. This injury healed with little complication -- only to reopen a few years later. Eventually, both of Henry's legs and feet were affected with ulcers. It was noted by his physicians that his toes became gangrenous as the condition advanced. This is an ulceration pattern far more typical of advanced diabetes, both Type I and Type II. So far as I know, there is no documentation of Henry having suffered from ulceration of the mucous membranes.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]Henry's gradual mental impairment, mainly a temper which became increasingly irascible with age, as well as paranoia, has frequently been blamed on the insanity which accompanies tertiary syphilis, as the syphilis spirochetes attack the brain tissue (this commonly occurs when the nasal passages have been infected and damaged, due to their proximity to the brain). However, Henry also had a series of strokes prior to his death, which would point to circulatory and blood pressure problems, which could have been caused by late stage diabetes or arteriosclerosis.[/SIZE]

That's interesting information. I remember reading that one reason why Henry's last wife, Catherine Parr survived was that she could comfort and distract him from the pain in his leg.

14. 06-14-2008, 08:03 PM
    Reason
    accidently posted 2x

Vamp Guest
    Here's a link to the slideshow in Hello Magazine for the Trooping of the Colour Ceremony today. The Queen looks pretty good for 82! I think the picture of Charles and Camilla is a little sad- they look so old. (sorry, but I don't think either of them is aging "well") http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...charles-1a.jpg

She's worn a lot of smart hats, but this one isn't too flattering. Like a bridal bouquet dumped on top of her head.

I always thought the Queen was quite lovely despite her frumpy clothes. Both she and Prince Phillip look amazing for their age. Hopefully the Queen will live to be 101 like her mother and deprive Charles of his chance to be King.

FannyB1923 Guest
    If you go to hellomagazine.com and click on Royalty there's a slideshow for the Trooping of the Colour Ceremony today. The Queen and Prince Phillip both look good for Octogenarians!
    I don't think Charles and/or Camilla are aging well. I don't feel like, "gee they look good for 60"- they look every bit of it! I don't like her hat today- she's had nicer ones. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...charles-1a.jpg

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    I have a royal story: my Boss, who is a few years older than Harry, attended a school that was temporarily located, because of the Gulf War, directly below the one that Harry attended as a child. Apparently, one time Harry called his classmates "peasants" and another time had the entire school in lock-down because he threatened to fire the teacher because he's a prince and can do that sort of thing. Personally, I found the whole 'peasant' thing to be hilarious. =D

Vamp Guest
    If you go to hellomagazine.com and click on Royalty there's a slideshow for the Trooping of the Colour Ceremony today. The Queen and Prince Phillip both look good for Octogenarians!
    I don't think Charles and/or Camilla are aging well. I don't feel like, "gee they look good for 60"- they look every bit of it! I don't like her hat today- she's had nicer ones. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...charles-1a.jpg
    OMG! SHE looks like she is wearing a flower pot!

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    I always thought the Queen was quite lovely despite her frumpy clothes. Both she and Prince Phillip look amazing for their age. Hopefully the Queen will live to be 101 like her mother and deprive Charles of his chance to be King.
    i have a feeling they try very hard to take very good care of themselves and their 'outdoorsy' pastimes help as well.

i always liked her wedding gown. it is modest (of course) but it is lovely in a very interesting way.....
    here is a link to it
    http://www.ouroneheart.com/queen-eli...wedding-dress/

here is the

Handrejka Guest
    The Queen and Prince Phillip were both quite good looking people in their day. They certainly haven't passed their looks on their children.

leeny994 Guest
    Queen Elizabeth II believes her position as Queen and Head of Church was Chosen for her By God---so I think her choosing more modest attire is a reflection on that in a way.

Vamp Guest
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1506_burrell.shtml

Butler says he had sex with Princess Diana.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Handrejka View Post
    The Queen and Prince Phillip were both quite good looking people in their day. They certainly haven't passed their looks on their children.
    It skipped a generation to their grandchildren. I recently saw a picture of Zara Phillips, Princess Anne's daughter. SHE IS STUNNING, so unlike her mom.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Handrejka View Post

Elizabeth especially, when she's relaxed and caught off guard, is a very attractive woman. Most of the time she gets her picture taken when she's working. I wish she'd get a new hairdresser though- I hate that poodle perm!

Vamp Guest
    Elizabeth especially, when she's relaxed and caught off guard, is a very attractive woman. Most of the time she gets her picture taken when she's working. I wish she'd get a new hairdresser though- I hate that poodle perm!
    Both the Queen and Princess Margaret were movie star beautiful.

leeny994 Guest
    Queen Elizabeth II had avery interesting coronation gown as well... let me try and find a link

leeny994 Guest
    http://www.nga.gov.au/ByAppointment/Index.htm

there it is

hmmmph i want to wear a crown. when can i run for queen of Brooklyn LOL

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    i have a feeling they try very hard to take very good care of themselves and their 'outdoorsy' pastimes help as well.

i always liked her wedding gown. it is modest (of course) but it is lovely in a very interesting way.....
    here is a link to it
    http://www.ouroneheart.com/queen-eli...wedding-dress/

here is the
    I have a book called Majesty by Robert Lacey about the Queen. It's got a neat "society news" description of the dress: "design based on Botticelli curves...ivory satin garlands of York roses in raised pearls, entwined with ears of corn minutely embroidered in crystal" ..with star flowers and orange blossom worked in reversed embroidery p. 134 All embroidery done by hand of course. Also mention was made that the silk came from not China, not Japan. None of Prince Philip's sisters attended because they were all married to Germans (this was 1947!)

kandykisses Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    i still have not understood why charles and camilla are such a scandal. he was in love with her for 35 years. sounds like true love to me. she was there way before diana was. this is why you should not marry a man who loves another woman. diana was used as a vessle to bringforth an heir to the throne. he did not love her. his parents made him marry her for the above name reason. so that goes to show what they thought of her in the first place. you can give a man all the ass in the world but that will not make him love you. i am happy he married his true love. this just goes to show how we parents should stay out of our kids' relationships.
    Don't get me started on Charles. The bastard wooed a young and impressionable 18 year old girl and lied to her cause he was a fucking wuss. he doesn't deserve to be happy. I hope both him and Camilla rot in hell.

Guest Guest
    I love the royals...... GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I think Prince Andrew is very attractive, it didn't totally skip that generation!

I read Fergie's book, she's clearly the most likable of the royal family, even if she is no longer officially a member. She doesn't seem the type to put up with bratty children, I'm glad hers turned out.

I'm all into gossip and stuff, but Diana has been dead for over 10 year, I wish people would just shut up about her sex life, she died tragically, leave her alone!

halogirl5 Guest
    They are the best soap opera in the world

FannyB1923 Guest
    In the royal news today, William was made a Knight of the Garter by the Queen.

Nice and historic and all, but the hot gossip was again Kate was right there. With her appearing at a public function with all the other members of the royal family there's speculation that the engagement announcement will be coming soon.

I have to say though- the HATs are getting hideous. The old "rule" used to be to go with the outfit, but off their face so people could see them. Now they're running around with big things that look like UFO's on top of their heads!

FannyB1923 Guest
    When I was little, I thought Kings & Queens ran around in their crowns and robes like in the fairy tales.

Here's a link to Her Majesty in full regalia for a service at St. Pauls the other day:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...e-kent/#enviar

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I'm all into gossip and stuff, but Diana has been dead for over 10 year, I wish people would just shut up about her sex life, she died tragically, leave her alone!
    Oh, come on Christie, that sentiment is unworthy of you! I never get tired of Diana dirt. I miss her and her dramas so much!

Now, opinions on Kate? I wonder if she may not have some Dianalike qualities....such as, she seems very aware of her image....dangerously so...she has lost a lot of weight and is very into the outfits and so on....not good....I'd watch that.

Really, when it comes to royalty, I think those best suited to that life are people like Camilla....dowdy, horsey, outdoorsy and earthy. Those who are into glamour are in for a comedown. Just sayin'

And what about Harry's girl, Chelsy? What a sultry, wanton-looking little minx she is!

Oh, and Fergie--I'm a fan, but there must be something very screwed up about her....why else would the royals have nothing to do with the mother of two princesses? For me, the clincher is all the debt she ran up. Weak character. But fun at a party, I'm sure.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Oh, come on Christie, that sentiment is unworthy of you! I never get tired of Diana dirt. I miss her and her dramas so much!

Now, opinions on Kate? I wonder if she may not have some Dianalike qualities....such as, she seems very aware of her image....dangerously so...she has lost a lot of weight and is very into the outfits and so on....not good....I'd watch that.

Really, when it comes to royalty, I think those best suited to that life are people like Camilla....dowdy, horsey, outdoorsy and earthy. Those who are into glamour are in for a comedown. Just sayin'

And what about Harry's girl, Chelsy? What a sultry, wanton-looking little minx she is!

Oh, and Fergie--I'm a fan, but there must be something very screwed up about her....why else would the royals have nothing to do with the mother of two princesses? For me, the clincher is all the debt she ran up. Weak character. But fun at a party, I'm sure.
    Well, for one thing William seems quite monogamous. Another thing is the boys have been able to live with their girlfriends and get to know them before getting engaged. Sophie and Edward seem quite happy. They lived together for several years before getting married. Sophie made a few faux pas in the beginning but now she and Edward seem to stay away from controversy and protect their children. I love that Lady Louise is not known as Princess Louise because that is how Edward and Sophie want it.

Noelle Page Guest
    Well.....there is "that rumour" about Edward.....but they seem to work as a couple, so good for them!

FannyB1923 Guest
    Hello! Magazine always has neat pictures of what the royals are up to. Not just the British monarchs- if they wear a crown, they'll end up in Hello!

This is a pic of Charles giving the polo trophy to the winners. I hate the shoes- they're old man shoes! Seems like only yesterday he was a young guy playing polo with Diana standing around watching. (looking a bit bored with all of it sometimes too)
    I'll stick to my earlier comment- he isn't aging well: http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...charles-1a.jpg

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Well.....there is "that rumour" about Edward.....but they seem to work as a couple, so good for them!

Yes, I've heard a rumour, from a supposedly reliable source. But so long as everyones happy thats the important thing.

lab_rat Guest
    Christ, I thought he croaked.

Maybe he doesn't want all the hoopla by having it at the Abbey...

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    * snort *.......me too.....oh well........

pvezz Guest

LOL - so did I!

Yeah me too....I was wondering how in the hell I had missed it on the news

Sampiro Guest
    In order to make it as low key as possible, Her Majesty has announced that when the time comes she plans to borrow a friend's Chevy Silverado pickup truck, some shovels from her gardener, and just "make some sandwiches and have a day of it" at her home in Scotland. Prince Charles responded "A shovel... yes indeed... I've heard of them though I've never seen one actually used. Something akin to a hammer and a wrench, yes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    In order to make it as low key as possible, Her Majesty has announced that when the time comes she plans to borrow a friend's Chevy Silverado pickup truck, some shovels from her gardener, and just "make some sandwiches and have a day of it" at her home in Scotland. Prince Charles responded "A shovel... yes indeed... I've heard of them though I've never seen one actually used. Something akin to a hammer and a wrench, yes?"
    wonder if Dodi's father, Mohamed Fayed will be invited ???.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZ83zF3jLU&feature=related

FannyB1923 Guest
    Good for him! I'm sure it will be High Church and very traditional. He served in the Royal Navy so there will probably be honor guards and pageantry. Just not the National Day of Mourning with all the heads of state from around the world there.

It makes sense for a big state funeral for the Queen. Not so much for the Duke

xenaswolf Guest
    It took me a minute to figure out who the hell he was LOL

Ok so if he's married to the Queen how come he's a Prince instead of a King???

Nah, wrong section.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    It took me a minute to figure out who the hell he was LOL

Ok so if he's married to the Queen how come he's a Prince instead of a King???
    ,,Raising hand in the back row,, I think I know!

Because he's a Prince of Greece, but never mind that, they're Danes but they ruled Greece, and they're probably more German than anything...

but I digress

Anyhow, his Father was a Prince, and he was a prince. But in the UK anyhow, you don't become King ruler just by marrying the Queen. But the King's Wife can become a queen- like Queen Mary. Queen Victoria's husband's title was Prince Albert, the Prince Consort.
    I'm not sure what they'll call Camilla (let me call her something ;-) Diana would have probably been Queen Diana or Diana, Queen Consort. Camilla might just stay HRH Duchess of Cornwall. Charles will be 60 this year. If something happens to the Queen, I think he ought to save the taxpayers some money on Coronations and just pass on to William.